PDA

View Full Version : ADHD diet--Updated with Trip Feedback

LibertyTreeGal
10-13-2007, 07:37 AM
Howdy all,

Well, my special needs twin has ADHD, which is very common with his particular disability (hydrocephalus and chiari malformation + spina bifida), and we now have him on a special diet. It's pretty resitrictive and now I am going through the menus and wincing. We have to keep him off of (or very low) on the following things:

all diary
sugar
chocolate
no yellow fruits or veggies (bananas are white)
no junk food
no fruit juice
No artificial sweeteners
no food coloring

I'll do anything to keep from drugging him, and this is working very well (he actually stayed in his seat yesterday and listened to his first grade teacher!), and it is easy at home because I cook and don't use many preprocessed foods, but the meal options at WDW are pretty awful from the standpoint of my above list. I know WDW is accomodating, but given that we are on the DDP is the above even possible? I guess I should just call and find out. But does anyone else have experience with this? It's a high carb (complex carbs) and high protein diet, btw. Plus he has a small cup of coffee in the morning and it focuses him like you wouldn't believe.

Seasonscraps
10-13-2007, 08:41 AM
I don't have personal experience with dietary restrictions but my friend's daughter has a severe dairy allergy and RAVED about how accomodating and simply wonderful disney was about accomodating her.

She told the CMs when she made the ADRs. They gave her the numbers to the restaurants and told her to call a couple of days beforehand to discuss their needs. The chef came out and personally went over the menu with them.

jedigrrrl
10-13-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm sure if you contact the restaurants directly, they will be more than accomodating. :mickey:

I was just wondering why he can't have yellow fruits and veggies? Is it because those tend to be the ones with the most sugar? (ie, carrots, sweet potatoes, oranges) I know those are orange, but is that the kind of stuff he can't eat? Just curious because, as a teacher, I am a firm believer that many behavior problems in regular kids are the result of a poor diet.

It's very cool how the change in his diet has affected his focus and ability to pay attention! Also, the coffee thing is super interesting.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!

LibertyTreeGal
10-13-2007, 01:59 PM
I was just wondering why he can't have yellow fruits and veggies? Is it because those tend to be the ones with the most sugar? (ie, carrots, sweet potatoes, oranges) I know those are orange, but is that the kind of stuff he can't eat? Just curious because, as a teacher, I am a firm believer that many behavior problems in regular kids are the result of a poor diet.

It's very cool how the change in his diet has affected his focus and ability to pay attention! Also, the coffee thing is super interesting.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!

The yellow is more like corn, which is a staple in many homes. It causes the seratonin levels to rise -- resulting in more aggressive behavior. They don't like to serve it in prisons very much as a result. They did studies a long time back and can correlate prison riots, in part, to an overabundance of corn in the diet. It doesn't whack everyone out, but if you are already prone to be that way, it just sends you over the edge.

The coffee is because of caffeine, it has the opposite effect in children as in adults. It calms and focuses the brain and body, instead of acting as a stimulant. MANY drugs have opposite affects with adults and kids.

merlinmagic4
10-13-2007, 04:09 PM
The yellow is more like corn, which is a staple in many homes. It causes the seratonin levels to rise -- resulting in more aggressive behavior. They don't like to serve it in prisons very much as a result. They did studies a long time back and can correlate prison riots, in part, to an overabundance of corn in the diet. It doesn't whack everyone out, but if you are already prone to be that way, it just sends you over the edge.

The coffee is because of caffeine, it has the opposite effect in children as in adults. It calms and focuses the brain and body, instead of acting as a stimulant. MANY drugs have opposite affects with adults and kids.

This is all very interesting. I sure hope it works for him! My son was on a very limited diet early on and it was tough but I do believe it can make a huge difference. Anyway, good luck with it!

AbeeNormal
10-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Hey Liberty Tree Gal,

My hats off to you for taking such amazing care of you son.You are a true:princess:

I would take that exact list you wrote with you and give it to your server to take the chef's:chef: so they can follow it to the letter.

They would know exactly what he can and can't have and with the number of people they feed everyday they are probubly good at thinking on their feet and will be able to make him some great meals.:eat:

May I ask if you put anything in the coffee to make it a little more palatable? I've never heard of coffee being used that way.I'm excited to talk to the Dr. and see if that's something I might consider.:)

Have an excellent time and I sure hope we get to hear all about your trip. :thumbsup:

TheRustyScupper
10-13-2007, 08:56 PM
1) The dietary requirements present quite a list.
2) Contact the eateries directly.
3) I would prepare a list of acceptable food types.
4) This could save a lot of time for the chefs.
5) It would give them a start on a menu.

LibertyTreeGal
10-13-2007, 09:52 PM
May I ask if you put anything in the coffee to make it a little more palatable? I've never heard of coffee being used that way.I'm excited to talk to the Dr. and see if that's something I might consider.:)

Yes, we put in a small amount of non-dairy creamer (milk is the worst ADHD offender), we found the one with the least amount of sugar and went with it. But just the fact that he is drinking a "daddy" drink gets him over the taste issues ;) It's amazing what a strong willed determined boy he is, if he really wants to do something, NOTHING stands in his way.... now if we could just get him to want to do what I want him to do.....

Iluvpooh
10-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Coffee seems to be an unherald "wonder" drug for kids. My husband has severe asthma and when he was a kid, his mother would have to give him strong coffee to help him breathe better. I don't know how it works. To this day if he has trouble breathing-he always makes a strong pot of coffee and it helps.

We are going in 2 weeks and I have called every restaurant directly to let them know about my daughter's allergies(egg and soy) We are eating all buffets and I was told that when we get there they will let me know what is safe to eat. GOOD LUCK_ I think if anyone will be able to help it is WDW. I know they are great about these things. (Unlike the "real" world)

BronxTigger
10-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Coffee seems to be an unherald "wonder" drug for kids. My husband has severe asthma and when he was a kid, his mother would have to give him strong coffee to help him breathe better. I don't know how it works. To this day if he has trouble breathing-he always makes a strong pot of coffee and it helps.

I think because caffeine and the drug in an asthma albuterol pump are both stimulants. Albuterol will keep me awake and it makes my pulse faster, same as strong coffee.

To the OP...good luck with that diet!

LibertyTreeGal
10-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks everyone, just wanted to give a bit of an update, even though it is off topic. We started this diet on thursday night and my little boy is a new person! He is still all boy but for the first time he is actually starting to be able to concentrate and control himself. It's a dream come true.

It is working so well that even he doesn't want to eat all that stuff anymore -- and he's only 6! Praise God, this is a miracle!

PS -- he's the one to the right on my avatar :)

tinkerbell04
10-15-2007, 07:09 PM
I am so glad to hear that it is working so well! Good luck! I am sure that Disney will be accomodaing. :mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
10-16-2007, 11:56 AM
That's great news about the diet! I also make most of our food at home to avoid many of the offending ingredients you list above. YOu will have an easy time having acceptable food prepared for your son at the TS places-- but we found the counter service "children's" foods to be severly lacking -- often horrible in fact. You might be better off avoiding the dining plan, or if you use it, paying out of pocket for a better "adult" choice for your kids to share.

We just came home on Sunday from a week in the World -- and used the DDP after using the DDE card for our last 3 visits . Other than the buffets and the "higher" end TS restaurants (where they could get fish and vegetables etc.), we found the children's choices to be abominable. Just my opinion.

I wish you and your guys a ton of luck with the diet! :thumbsup:

LibertyTreeGal
10-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Other than the buffets and the "higher" end TS restaurants (where they could get fish and vegetables etc.), we found the children's choices to be abominable. Just my opinion.

I wish you and your guys a ton of luck with the diet! :thumbsup:

Thanks! Yes, we are on the DDP but we are going to have to pay OOP for lunches for him, no doubt about it. I think Disney tries hard to incorporate "all of the above" from my list in every kids meal ;)

Here we go again...
10-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks everyone, just wanted to give a bit of an update, even though it is off topic. We started this diet on thursday night and my little boy is a new person! He is still all boy but for the first time he is actually starting to be able to concentrate and control himself. It's a dream come true.

It is working so well that even he doesn't want to eat all that stuff anymore -- and he's only 6! Praise God, this is a miracle!

PS -- he's the one to the right on my avatar :)

I just wanted to say that I think it is amazing that you are doing this for your son. I am so happy to hear that he is responding well to the diet. I work in a pharmacy and the amount of ADHD drugs that we dispense in a day would amaze you.
Not everyone is able to control thier children with the diet so they have to turn to the drugs. Many also can not afford (or do not have the time) to work on a special diet. I am glad that it is working for you.

You will have an easy time having acceptable food prepared for your son at the TS places-- but we found the counter service "children's" foods to be severly lacking -- often horrible in fact. You might be better off avoiding the dining plan, or if you use it, paying out of pocket for a better "adult" choice for your kids to share.
You are soooooo right about this. Disney is doing better by making healthier side choices with the meals, but the meals are still horrible.

I was very worried about our trip last week because I am eating healthier now. I was scared to walk into a counter service restaurant because the thought of a burger or chicken strips turned my stomach. I was surprised to find that most places we went now have salads, wraps or something a little healthier. At least we are headed in the right direction.

4myprincesses
10-22-2007, 11:45 PM
We were there in September and follow a very similar diet for our oldest for the same reasons
no refined sugar, no processed grains, no artificial ingredients, no MSG (or natural flavors, enzymes, etc as there are common ways to label MSG), no soy products unless fermented. (We do include dairy only if it is from fesh farm milk, not homogonized, not patuerized...no we aren't crazy it has helped not only her but has eliminated my high blood pressure!) It is amazing how diet affects children, we've avoided not only medical treatment for our daughter, but also have been told by her repeatedly that her head feels "less fuzzy" and that she is glad for the changes! We're glad for her renewed ability to think and cope with not only daily life but being in first grade :)

All that said, Disney was a bit of a challenge. The tableservice places were great. Most of the chefs were attentive to what her needs were, would offer to make adult meals in a child portion if need be. She did get very tired of fresh fruit bowls, though.

The counter service places were an entire different story. They lacked severly in service for food allergies. In fact, I was at Cosmic Rays waiting for nearly a half hour to order while the gal kept paging a manager. I finally gave up, ordered what I thought would work and hoped for the best. This was not at high volume time either, the place was dead as it was almost time for the fireworks. I did file a complaint as we had similar issues at other counter service places.

My advice, use the numbers they give you when making ADRs, call ahead, ask questions, and if you find a number that would help you out for the counter services PLEASE let me know...we head back in January and I'll pack a meal for her every day if I have to, but really would like for her to eat with us.

Restaurants that were the most accomodating:
Crystal Palace
Coral Reef
Liberty Tree Tavern (lunch)

LibertyTreeGal
10-23-2007, 07:41 AM
Thanks so much, 4myprincesses! I figured as much with the CS locations. I have been scouring the menus to figure out where we can actually find something decent for them to eat. Breakfast seems like the best bet. But i will let you know what we find. We are going to the Liberty Tree for lunch, it is my favorite TS and I figured it would be no problem to get a plate of salmon with a bowl of berries for dessert (esp. since salmon used to be on the kids menu there!)

Wow, we have a lot in common, this diet has also helped with my blood pressure too. I will be posting an ADHD dining report after we come back. It may not be completely helpful to you, because it looks like our kids might have different triggers (Andy seems like he will be okay with milk, at least in small doses as cheese) but I hope that it helps.

We have ADRs at Le Cellier, 50;s PTC (I notice they have a fish of the day option :thumbsup:), Bomas, Hoop Dee Doo (I made this ADR before the diet, not holding out much hope), Narcoosees, Liberty Tree Tavern, and O'Hanas.

brookview
01-05-2008, 01:07 PM
How did the diet go @ disney

LibertyTreeGal
01-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Better than I thought it would, but we still had to seriously detox when we got home.

WDW has far more wheat bread options than it used to have, and we stuck with coffee, water and unsweetened iced tea for beverages.

Some things were hit and miss, but all in all we were able to navigate the system without totally destroying the progress we had made. Fortunately we are finding that Andy doesn't have many triggers -- but has to avoid milk and white flour at all costs. All of the TS places had fruit options for dessert (although they were getting pretty tired of it by the end of the week) and the CS places all had grapes and baby carrots with their kids meals.

At the places we couldn't get a good kids' meal, we simply got him an adult meal. So, in the end, it was a pretty successful trip :thumbsup:

tinkerbell04
01-06-2008, 12:33 PM
I am glad that the dining on your trip worked out! :mickey:

4myprincesses
01-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Glad it went pretty good for you. We are gearing up to go again (hopefully the end of the week depending on a family member's health.)

I am figuring if I can stick to iced tea, water, no sugar, no msg I'll be doing really good. We are staying in a time sharea s well, so cooking meals there will be much easier, just have to survive a couple obligatory character meals and the occasion counter service.

Being on the dining plan, our girls did get very tired of the mixed fruit cup for dessert. It's better than nothing I kept telling them. For variety, next time I will sort it out so that each meal they eat a different fruit (grapes for this meal, honeydew the next) between all of us. Other than that I'm going to pack some of our own PB cookies and such that I know they can eat for a bit of a sweet fix when they see all the ice cream, funnel cakes, and chocolate goodies that would really set us back!

Figment!
01-09-2008, 02:57 PM
**Moderator Note**

Hey Folks,

Since this thread was started prior to the creation of our Special Needs forum and bumped up after the creation of our Special Needs forum, I'm going to move the whole thing over to the Special Needs forum for further discussion.

Thanks! :)