PDA

View Full Version : Snow White's Scary Adventures

Hayden's Dad
10-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Tell me about this ride. We have never ridden it neither one of us likes to be scared and the title is kinda ominous. Does it have a lot things popping out at you or are the more like the old Haunted Mansion and you could see them coming? Thanks.

6 Weeks 2 days and the hunt begins.

DisneyWhirled
10-12-2007, 10:12 AM
DH & I avoided bringing DD5 & DS8 on this ride until this past year. Let me preface this by stating that DS8 is not a fan of the Haunted Mansion AT ALL. They were not frighted on this ride. We explained what they will expect to see, and they were okay. I don't recall anything jumping out at us. The ride is slow moving like Pooh, and you can pretty much see what is coming up. It is a bit dark in places, and the witch can be frightening to a small child.

I know that your DS is quite young, so, if you go on it with him, you could always cover his eyes.

Have a great time on your vacation!

Tigggar
10-12-2007, 10:13 AM
This ride is really not scarry. It tell's the full story of Snow White. So at the start the queen standing infront of the mirror turns around and is the old witch. And there's a few area's when the dwarfs chase her that are a little dark not bad at all. For the most part it's well lighted and a very nice ride all about snow white.:mickey:

SBETigg
10-12-2007, 10:27 AM
What I don't like about Snow White is the same thing I didn't love about Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (sorry fans). It has a cheesy amusement park fun house quality to it, and it doesn't seem up to the calibre of most WDW rides. I expected so much more. There are dark scenes and some scenes that focus on the wicked queen, which can be scary for kids but since the realism isn't there in quality(animation, not animatronics), I'm not sure how scary it really is for most little ones. Mine have never been in it because I don't think it's worth the time.

tyandskyesmom
10-12-2007, 10:31 AM
We have always wondered why people say it is scary for children. My two have never been afraid of it and Ty has been going since he was 2 years old (and he is my "chicken" child) and Skye since she was 2 months old.

81 more days!!!

HndrdPrcnt
10-12-2007, 10:38 AM
I would probably not take my 5 yr old in to the ride simply because she would not want to go once we got to the front of the line and I would have wasted my time standing in line. It really is not a super exciting attraction to say the least and I would not feel like I have missed anything if I missed it. However, there is some nostalgia there with it being one of the first Disney attractions and the fact that Walt himself had a hand in it. So, for that reason, kind of fun to see, but other than that, not worth your time.

MickeyandTink
10-12-2007, 10:39 AM
What I don't like about Snow White is the same thing I didn't love about Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (sorry fans). It has a cheesy amusement park fun house quality to it, and it doesn't seem up to the calibre of most WDW rides. I expected so much more. There are dark scenes and some scenes that focus on the wicked queen, which can be scary for kids but since the realism isn't there in quality(animation, not animatronics), I'm not sure how scary it really is for most little ones. Mine have never been in it because I don't think it's worth the time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. However, my DD6 loved them both and wasn't scared at all. If they can handle the movie, the ride is no big deal.

Now Peter Pan is a different story. Even though it is similar, it is so much better. The flying ships are pretty cool.

Rayadragon
10-12-2007, 10:58 AM
We have always wondered why people say it is scary for children. My two have never been afraid of it and Ty has been going since he was 2 years old (and he is my "chicken" child) and Skye since she was 2 months old.

I hate to admit this, but I was always a bit worried on the earlier version of the ride. I think it used to be called just "Snow White's Adventures," and it was a slighty differnet ride than before. I don't remember much about the first version, but I do remember that the current version is tamed down from what it originally was. This may be rumor, but the reason they added "Scary" to the title was because the original tended to scare so many kids.

KylesMom
10-12-2007, 11:29 AM
I respectfully disagree that the ride is not scary for some young children. It of course depends on your child, but Lord knows I've heard enough of them screaming when they get off the attraction. From the skeletons in the dungeon, to the alligators chasing you, to the queen which turns into the hag, to the trees which seem to want to grab you, to the storm in the forest . . there is enough shock value in the ride to warrant concern if your child is sensitive to stories of a dark nature. Oof, I remember DS' reaction when we took him during our first trip. :( Now, of course, he thinks its a gas. I would suggest that you ride it first before you take Hayden on it to see if it would be something he'd enjoy.
Think of the name - it's not called "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs", but is instead called "Snow White's SCARY Adventure"! Just a different perspective from one who did have a freaked out child! :thedolls: We had a problem getting him on any attractions for the remainder of the day!

And there's a few area's when the dwarfs chase her I think that they're actually trying to save her from the hag . . . :D

ginger19
10-12-2007, 11:45 AM
I just took my kids on this last week and they were very afraid. They are 2.5 and 4 and they loved the Haunted Mansion but were really scared on this ride. They begged to go back on HM but refused to go on Snow White again.

scootch713
10-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Both my girls are afraid of it.. they were 4 and almost 7 last year. To me it did not seem scary, i didn't even attempt HM. Guess you don't really know what will scare all kids. I am sure we will skip it again this year too.

mttafire
10-12-2007, 12:04 PM
I like this ride alot...It IS a classic Disney Dark ride. I think you'll be fine and i would certainly give it a go.:mickey:

RBrooksC
10-12-2007, 12:13 PM
My son was 19 months when we were there last month and he loved Snow White and the Haunted Mansion. He actually laughed when he saw the witch and the other "scary" scenes in the ride. The same with the HM.

Then again, we never posed these rides as scary. I have always believe that children take the ques from their parents. If the parent thinks something is scary, there is a good chance the child will think that also. If the parent never lets on that something is supposed to be scary, the child will be less apt to think that.

That is why I got so annoyed many years ago when I was taking my friend's child onto Dinosaur. He was either five or six at the time but well over the recommended height. We were making the ride sound as fun as we could considering none of us had ridden it. A lady walks by us while we were in line, and in front of the boy, was saying she couldn't believe we were taking him on this because it will scare him and hold onto to him so he won't be scared. Of course, the look on his face changed to that of a child who was getting scared. I told the lady we would take the responsibility. Needless to say, while he did get scared when the dinos jumped towards the vehicle, he loved the ride and would talk about nothing after we rode it.

ThanxForNoticin
10-12-2007, 12:18 PM
I respectfully disagree that the ride is not scary for some young children. It of course depends on your child, but Lord knows I've heard enough of them screaming when they get off the attraction.

I cannot agree more. I remember being so excited the first time we took our 3 year-old to Disney, and this was the first ride we EVER did. What a shock it was. It took us an hour to convince him that not all the rest of the rides would scare him that much. He ended up going on just about everything else, including the HM, without a problem. But SW is one we always recommend our friends to avoid with young children. There are so many attractions more worthwhile doing. Maybe your kids will be fine, but I wouldn't take a chance if you don't need to.

Imagineer1981
10-12-2007, 12:34 PM
A childs imagination is quite different from adults, if they see the witch turn and laugh, its hard for them to tell whats real and whats fake

Von-Drake
10-12-2007, 01:08 PM
I've always liked this ride and my wife and I were weary about taking our 4 year old son on it this past August, but decided to try anyway, and while he sat a little closer to us than on other rides, he never really indicated any fear or anything. Just treated it like a normal ride.

jpH/keD
10-12-2007, 03:09 PM
This ride ruined the last trip for my dd4 at the time! The witch and the old hag are very scary for little kids. We were clueless when we took her and you have every right to check before going. Our son 2yrs at the time was not phased but she refused to ride anything that was dark at first after this ride! She crawled under my seat and was hiding her entire body on the ride! It was horrible! Hayden is young and maybe it wont phase him either but its always good to have info ahead of time!! Its your call! You two know him best!! My daughter has informed me that she wont ride it EVER again and she is 6 now!! :)

tyandskyesmom
10-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Then again, we never posed these rides as scary. I have always believe that children take the ques from their parents. If the parent thinks something is scary, there is a good chance the child will think that also. If the parent never lets on that something is supposed to be scary, the child will be less apt to think that.

:ditto:
I think the same thing...

thejens
10-12-2007, 08:14 PM
I would summarize thus: it is really not a very good ride so why wait in line and risk frightening your child. Ride Pooh and Peter Pan and if you want something a little edgy do Haunted Mansion or Dinosoar - at least they are worth the trouble! Just my 2 cents! :mickey:

briarroro
10-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Both my 5 and 7 yr old daughters didn't like it because it is very dark at times-but , nothing jumps out at you; it is very tame compared to haunted mansion-which they love -go figure!

mouseketeer mom
10-12-2007, 08:36 PM
I just don't like this ride. It reminds me of a carnival ride. Its dark in places, so a child might be scared. It actually seems very unDisneylike to me, it just feels cheesy! Not well done! Thats just my opinion..my kids were not scared, but I can't say they enjoyed this ride either. None of them asked to go on it again. Its not a must do for us at all.

kim1st
10-12-2007, 09:37 PM
We did fine on this ride.

We were easily able to catch it at a time when there was no line, but that may have been because we went in October.

My 2 1/2 year old did her typical duck and cover. My 4 (almost 5) year old enjoyed it. I think we did it more than once.

It helped that the kids new the story, and we let them know up front what it was about. Thanks to Intercot and a travel guide I had read, I had heard that the ride was supposed to depict Snow White running through the forest, away from the Wicked Queen. Since my kids knew how that story ended, they were able to stick with the ride without too much trouble.

I wouldn't say it's a "must do", but if you happen by and there's not much of a wait, it may be worth a shot.

ryca1dreams
10-13-2007, 10:28 AM
My sister and I rode this in 1979 back when it was just Snow White's Adventures - giving you no warning of what was to come. We had the hee-haw scared out of us.

I understand that Disney worked on the ride in 1994 and actually put Snow White at the beginning (she wasn't there before) and toned down or took out some of the witches popping out. I got the courage to ride it again in 2005 - it wasn't really that bad.

pink
10-13-2007, 12:23 PM
It's really not scary, but it was be for a young one. The only scary part I remember was when the queen turns around and turns into the witch. :mickey:

Meteora
10-13-2007, 12:40 PM
I hate to admit this, but I was always a bit worried on the earlier version of the ride. I think it used to be called just "Snow White's Adventures," and it was a slighty differnet ride than before. I don't remember much about the first version, but I do remember that the current version is tamed down from what it originally was. This may be rumor, but the reason they added "Scary" to the title was because the original tended to scare so many kids.

At least part of this is true--I know because I went on the original when I was four and it absolutely terrified me. It was indeed just called Snow White's Adventures, so my parents had no idea that it would mostly consist of the witch popping out at you from various places. From my memory, there was only one part with the seven dwarfs, and I was so busy screaming and covering my eyes that I barely saw it. I was so affected by it that, years later, when I was 20, my friends had to drag me on the new version (hadn't been on it since). Definitely a different ride, and a less scary one. That being said, I think the new version can still be scary for kids, depending on what scares them. It certainly isn't one of the more kid-oriented, friendly rides in the park. The HM, for me, has always seemed very tongue-in-cheek with the haunting being relatively harmless and funny. Snow White doesn't have that same humorous slant to it.

I agree with this to some extent, but I will add that there are some thing that are objectively scary to children, regardless of whether or not their parents or others around them find it scary. If your child is afraid of the dark, angry crocodiles, or things popping out at them, then this ride will likely be scary for them regardless of whether or not their parents construe it as such. Whether the fun parts of the ride outweigh the scary parts is an individual thing, and whether you are able to calm or rationalize your child's objective fears is an individual parent thing.

disneylovinmom
10-13-2007, 06:10 PM
The updated version isn't scary. I remember going in the 80's (a long, long time before they changed it) and I was terrified. It seemed like that witch was jumping out of everywhere. You should not have a problem with the way it is today.:)

Melanie
10-13-2007, 06:40 PM
I understand that Disney worked on the ride in 1994 and actually put Snow White at the beginning (she wasn't there before) and toned down or took out some of the witches popping out.

They added Snow White and the Prince at the end as well, with the kiss scene.

Originally, I believe it was intended that we, the riders, were supposed to be Snow White. That's why she didn't appear.

Disney Diva 71
10-13-2007, 06:48 PM
I have an 8 year old son who loves this ride. We have been taking him to WDW since he was 14 months old. We took him on everything and never said anything about any ride and he loves them all. It did take me a while to get him on TOT. He told us when he was 5 (at the time of the trip)that he would go on it when he was 6. We held him to his word and he did it without a fight. Now it's his favorite ride in all of WDW. We have a second son now who is now 14 months old and we plan to do the same thing with this one. He has already been to WDW 3 times. His name is Hayden too!:mickey:

ThanxForNoticin
10-15-2007, 12:37 PM
They added Snow White and the Prince at the end as well, with the kiss scene.

Originally, I believe it was intended that we, the riders, were supposed to be Snow White. That's why she didn't appear.

I didn't hear this before, but it makes a lot of sense. Not only was the original version scary for many little ones, but we never understood why you didn't even see Snow White. It sounds like the update corrected some of those issues.

RBrooksC
10-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Regarding chidlren being scared due to their parents, while it is true that being scared of the dark is a childhood fear of some children, posing a ride as scary will just cause the child to avoid it without making their own decision and think it is intrinsically scary.

Take a friend of mine who was in Disney in July. There whole party were about to ride the Tea Cups. A ride almost as harmless as the carosel. An 8 year old would not ride it because her mom said it was scary. She could even see the ride in action and would not get on it. How would have this child reacted if she hadn't been told that by mommy.

Hayden's Dad
10-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks everyone this had really helped alot. I am not necessarily worried about Hayden being scared, not much scares him except the occasional unexpected sound (hence us hiding in the Judge's tent during the fireworks :D). To be honest I was more concerned about myself and DW :blush: Neither one of us has ever enjoyed "being scared", but it sounds like this ride is pretty much harmless, espescially now that I know more about what to expect. My DW's favorite character is the wicked queen and since there appears to be mostly scenes with her in it we will probably ride. Thanks again :thumbsup:

septembergirl
10-16-2007, 04:17 PM
We rode Snow White at least 3 times on our last trip at DD4's insistence. She didn't seem scared at all although she was scared on HM.
If the line is not too long, it is worth a spin but it is mostly for fans. Classic Disney, IMO.