PDA

View Full Version : Spaceship Earth Reopening/Spaceship Earth Behind Schedule [Merged Threads]

Grumpy, but not at WDW
10-12-2007, 12:46 AM
We will be traveling to WDW in November. Any information about the changes to the ride?

wkanack
10-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Space ship earth is currently closed, I'm not aware of when it will reopen. I also know that the haunted mansion is also closed at this time. Good luck and have a great time.:mickey:

BMan62
10-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Spaceship Earth is scheduled to reopen November 13th. Haunted Mansion has been open for over a month now.

WDWfanatic742
10-12-2007, 09:59 AM
It's not official yet, but rumor is that they are behind in the rehab because of the small spaces that the building design it is hard to move things around in and out of. It says that it might be pushed back to December.

It's only rumored, but a pretty good one at that. Don't be surprised if it is pushed back...

SgtTigger
10-12-2007, 05:10 PM
It's not official yet, but runor is that they are behind in the rehab because of the small spaces that the building design it is hard to move things around in and out of. It says that it might be pushed back to December.

It's only rumored, but a pretty good one at that. Don't be surprised if it is pushed back...

No no no...... it must be open in Nov...... go tell them that.....

Oh boy......

:cop: :tigger:

Mickeydream
10-12-2007, 10:10 PM
December....OUCH!! We were so looking forward to going to SE in November when we are in Epcot. Hope that they are able to finish refurb by then. :mickey:

battlefield2freak
10-13-2007, 09:47 AM
i can see why it might be behind. theres hardly any space to move things around in there. well i guess since im not going anytime soon i dont have to worry about any refurbs since they are what ive been waiting for and they finally do it now. i thought i heard it would open on the 20th of november last month but i cant remember if its was for SSE or something else it just sticks out in my mind for some reason.

Jeany031
10-13-2007, 01:28 PM
I love the new Spaceship Earth Ride i can't wait to ride it! Are you sure It is November or December? :mickey:

WDWfanatic742
10-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Right now it is in November. They haven't announced it moving back to December, but there are rumor's for it. It's going to be a wait and see game to see when it does re-open.

Jeany031
10-13-2007, 04:34 PM
thanks for the info! I can't wait to ride the new Spaceship Earth next month.:mickey:

Jasper
10-13-2007, 04:49 PM
theres hardly any space to move things around in there.

Wait a minute!! I had always been told that there were these really big hinges on one side of Spaceship Earth that allowed Disney to just flip the top half over to get things in and out. Is it possible that you are telling me that these stories aren’t true? But that just can’t be!! I mean I heard this from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from their cousin who heard it from someone who had been at Disney World who heard it from a dog that wandered through the construction site!! Surely none of these people would be fibbing?:D:D:D:D

Celestria
10-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Wait a minute!! I had always been told that there were these really big hinges on one side of Spaceship Earth that allowed Disney to just flip the top half over to get things in and out. Is it possible that you are telling me that these stories aren’t true? But that just can’t be!! I mean I heard this from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from their cousin who heard it from someone who had been at Disney World who heard it from a dog that wandered through the construction site!! Surely none of these people would be fibbing?:D:D:D:D

Good one. but you're thinking of the new snowglode. but it does have a door of some sort at the top so they can get mickey up there for a picture.

MCFantasia
10-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Live from Epcot:

I've seen very little "news" regarding the SSE makeover... but forgive me if this was mentioned and I missed it.

I just spoke with a Spaceship Earth Cast Member who said that the refurb is WAY behind schedule. According to him we shouldn't expect to see it up and running until mid-December.

While most info from cast comes with a grain of salt... the fact that he was commenting on his own attraction makes me believe a little more.

Has anyone heard similar reports?

WDWfanatic742
10-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Plenty of reports and threads on here about it. Like you said, it looks to be pushed back around early to mid December. I can't imagine them having a signature attraction and one that is such a crowd controller not open for the two holiday weeks in December.

battle beast
10-15-2007, 11:35 AM
I think this is all just rumors, right now.

Goofy Pluto
10-15-2007, 04:54 PM
That would stink if it didn't open until mid-Dec. I was looking forward to riding the new version on our trip. Hopefully they can get it done on time!

DisFan01
10-15-2007, 06:28 PM
I also heard someone (Disney CM) say that the SE Rehab is behind schedule. They didn't say how badly it's behind, or when it will re-open. I guess it's still the same... hopefully. :confused:

Momof2boys
10-16-2007, 12:02 PM
And we were hoping for a miracle for a late October opening :(

May524
10-16-2007, 03:54 PM
We arrive 11/24...I hope it's open then! I'm going to be 6 months pregnant so I can't do ALL the rides, and this is one I was looking forward to the most :(

Tinkerfreak
10-17-2007, 02:37 PM
This is a real bummer for my family because SE is always the first and last ride we do at Epcot every year. This will be our first year missing it and we are all going to miss it. We hope to plan one more Halloween trip next year to be able to see it again. Once DD enteres high school we will no longer be able to do our Halloween trips because we won't pull her out of school anymore. Sorry I got carried away there ad OT. I will have to wait for some great feedback from all of you who will get to see it.

mttafire
10-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Even with it behind schedule....Im glad its getting done. Kudos to Disney for all these refurbs.:thumbsup:

Crow
10-18-2007, 12:51 PM
i missed riding it last month when i was there. im anxious to hear about the changes. Hopefully it will b running Mid Dec when my friend is there so i can hear about it

Ian
10-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Hmmm ... we're gonna be there 12/8 or 12/9 until like 12/14 or 12/15 ... hope it's up by then, at least for previews or something.

WDWfanatic742
10-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Don't kill the messenger please...:thedolls:

Now there is doubt about it opening for the holidays and re-opening in January. I certainly hope it is open by December. Epcot will be crazy without a guest gobbler like it.

This is no way official and only reported by CM's and we know how reliable they can be sometimes :rolleyes:, just posting news for a huge attraction to everyone. It goes with the fact that it is hard to move around in the building, and good things take time. Like how Rome wasn't built in a day...

Polynesian Dweller
10-21-2007, 01:42 PM
On Friday, there was a lot of jack hammer noise from the queue area at the front. I was able to grab a quick look at the construction when a couple of workers walked out of the site. It was pretty major demolition going on and the workers were grumbling about hard it was to remove the concrete. Not possible to tell anything about what was going to be constructed there.

The fact that they were making such noise during the middle of the day was unusual (at least I thought) and hopefully means they are trying to make up time.

Jeany031
10-21-2007, 01:46 PM
thanks for the info!

battlefield2freak
10-21-2007, 02:29 PM

well if u think about it logically between the car and scene u cant really tell theres a gap there, and in the refurb they are trying to close that gap and thats whats been rumored to be slowing down the refurb also but the ride is packed into the ball pretty tight. so if theres something heavy in there u cant get a forklift, etc. in there to move it so that makes it more difficult.

Ian
10-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Don't kill the messenger please...:thedolls:

Now there is doubt about it opening for the holidays and re-opening in January. I certainly hope it is open by December. Epcot will be crazy without a guest gobbler like it.Guess we'll have to wait until our late January trip to check it out, then.

Bummer. :(

PirateLover
10-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Spaceship Earth is one of my top 5 rides. We did it 6x on our last trip at least. This was one of the major reasons I was convinced to come this Dec, to see the rehab. I will be so bummed if it doesn't open in time b/c I honestly don't know when we'll be back. As of now I have no full time job and my insurance runs out at the end of the year. This may be my last trip for a little while :(

TheRustyScupper
10-22-2007, 01:51 PM
. . . Wait a minute!! I had always been told that there were these really big hinges on one side of Spaceship Earth that allowed Disney to just flip the top half over to get things in and out Is it possible that you are telling me that these stories aren’t true? . . .

1) You have it right.
2) The stories are true.
3) But, there are a few glitches, slowing progress.
. . . hinges open to the South, and everyone draws blueprints North-oriented
. . . mechanics can't locate the left-handed crescent wrenches
. . . air cylinders haven't had the Summer-air changed to Winter-air
. . . workers are complaining the boss is goofy
. . . the DC motors aren't labeled as republican or democrat

faberj
10-22-2007, 02:23 PM
Good one. but you're thinking of the new snowglode. but it does have a door of some sort at the top so they can get mickey up there for a picture.

What new snowglobe??? Is it of SSE? If so what does it look like and where can I get one?

jpH/keD
10-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Here's still hoping for a Nov 16-24th opening! I wanted to do this on this trip! Hope and pixie dust!!!

battlefield2freak
10-23-2007, 04:01 PM
there is a new picture out from siemens that says coming soon. it looks like the picture was taken where the post ride area is outside. since i cant post it ill do my best to describe it. it looks like a light blue globe in the middle with the words Coming Soon.... in big letters then underneath that it say: Siemens invites you to ride a re-imagined Spaceship Earth. in the background it looks like a flat screen computer monitor hanging from the wall. the globe itself is inside a pedestal with a rail around it and its entirely black inside besides the glow of the globe and the monitor. so dont give up on hoping its been delayed just yet.

DizHawk
10-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Come on December. This will probably be the last time we'll go for a few years, and I would really like to get one last ride in. We'll be there 12/8 - 12/15, so I hope it's open.

magicman
10-25-2007, 01:09 PM
1) You have it right.
2) The stories are true.
3) But, there are a few glitches, slowing progress.
. . . hinges open to the South, and everyone draws blueprints North-oriented
. . . mechanics can't locate the left-handed crescent wrenches
. . . air cylinders haven't had the Summer-air changed to Winter-air
. . . workers are complaining the boss is goofy
. . . the DC motors aren't labeled as republican or democrat

1) Really
2) Funny
3) Post

LisRich
10-25-2007, 08:26 PM
I just checked the WDW official site and it lists Spaceship Earth as being closed for refurbishment December 1 - 31st. Whaaaa!!!!

WDWfanatic742
10-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Don't get your hopes down yet. It doesn't say that anything is closed in November so I'm sure that they are trying to update it.

It says that it is closed until February 18th, 2008. If that's true then WOW.

Polynesian Dweller
10-25-2007, 10:45 PM
there is a new picture out from siemens that says coming soon. it looks like the picture was taken where the post ride area is outside. since i cant post it ill do my best to describe it. it looks like a light blue globe in the middle with the words Coming Soon.... in big letters then underneath that it say: Siemens invites you to ride a re-imagined Spaceship Earth. in the background it looks like a flat screen computer monitor hanging from the wall. the globe itself is inside a pedestal with a rail around it and its entirely black inside besides the glow of the globe and the monitor. so dont give up on hoping its been delayed just yet.
If that's what I think it is, yes there is large globe in the post ride area, and that is kind of mostly open last week. You could enter the post-ride area from the back of SSE and there were a number of exhibits and activities active. (Didn't spend enough time to be able to describe them but lots of people were at the various areas). However, the work outside at the front looked pretty extensive and difficult as I've said in an earlier post.

AZ Disney
10-26-2007, 12:00 AM
I've been watching the overall WDW rehab schedule for our upcoming Jan trip and within the last day or so, the WDW calendar has been updated to indicate Spaceship Earth will be closed during our trip 19-26.

Haunt1000
10-26-2007, 03:56 AM
I guess early December is out. I will have to plan a 2nd trip to check it out! I am totaly peaved!:mad:

CaptainSad
10-26-2007, 07:47 AM
I have really bad news. It is on the WDW site. Spaceship Earth has been pushed back to February 18th. I am going down December 16th-23rd. I am kind of bummed. I have heard from a CM that they are having major problems inside. They are going to have to dismantle some of the ride to get to other areas. There is just not enough room in there to move around and add what they have planned. To me this seems like bad planning if you ask me.

Zone Stop
10-26-2007, 01:03 PM
... honestly, where are you guys hearing all this?

BMan62
10-26-2007, 01:33 PM
... honestly, where are you guys hearing all this?

As of this morning, it is all listed on Disney World's web site under Operational Updates for Epcot. Every month until February lists Spaceship Earth as under rehab for the entire month. February list it as under rehab Feb. 1 - Feb. 18.

Jakk
10-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Just found it on disneyworld.com

Spaceship Earth closed straight through to Feb 18th, 2008. Yes dissapointing but I guess there's a reason for everything. But from what I've heard there is 3 reasons why the opening is delayed by four months.

1. The budget was upped for detailing purposes, but the time needed to consumate such upgrades was more than previously alotted.
2. They "removed" something they shouldn't have and it took more time to reinstall the infastructure than thought necessary.
3. Upon installing new items, extra structures and supports within the building have been added and require testing, as well as the testing of the new "future finale" effect

Hopefully it's option one or two, rather than three. But I guess I'm going to have to delay my trip till April 08...*sigh*...

JPL
10-26-2007, 02:14 PM
I had heard the refurb caused structural concerns within the building so the delay makes sense. The old ride system was built in away that it was actually part of the internal support system for the building. When I heard of the concerns a somewhat scary image of SSE rolling through the parking lots. Of course it flattens the leave a legacy tombstones on the way so it's not a total loss ;)

Maleficent's Dad
10-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Disappointing about the delayed opening. :(

When I heard of the concerns a somewhat scary image of SSE rolling through the parking lots. Of course it flattens the leave a legacy tombstones on the way so it's not a total loss ;)
:funny: :haha: :funny:

PirateLover
10-26-2007, 02:41 PM
:(

beksy
10-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Talk about poor timing! :( Our last day is the 17th. :ill:

mjm12000
10-26-2007, 04:28 PM
this is horrible, I am taking my first trip in January and to be honest this was the one ride at Epcot I was most excited to ride. I can only hope now that since it will be closed that they at least don't put up ugly freaking walls around it or anything so I can at least see what the ball looks like and get some picutres of the outside. Oh well I guess that is the risk you take going in the off season.... just gives me more reason to start thinking about my next trip already.

Mrs.Mya
10-26-2007, 10:31 PM
NO.....NO......NO......say it isn't so !! :mad: Now i really need a :beer:

amorillo
10-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Wow! This was my very first WDW ride as a child. Then... I made sure it was DH & DD's first ride! (DS's first trip to WDW was with grandparents) I was hoping to make it my new DD's first ride also! But it seems our trip is a little too early. We leave on Feb. 3rd!

Now what???? Thank goodness it still have 91 more days to plan! :laughing:

amd780
10-27-2007, 02:03 PM
So disappointing that SSE won't be ready in January. Oh well, I guess that will give us an excuse to go back even sooner! :D

azdisneymom
10-27-2007, 04:43 PM
:sad: I guess that means I will miss my favorite ride.

battlefield2freak
10-28-2007, 08:52 PM
If that's what I think it is, yes there is large globe in the post ride area, and that is kind of mostly open last week. You could enter the post-ride area from the back of SSE and there were a number of exhibits and activities active. (Didn't spend enough time to be able to describe them but lots of people were at the various areas). However, the work outside at the front looked pretty extensive and difficult as I've said in an earlier post.

ahh.. thank you for your bit of info. i just assumed it was closed off just because it was so dark in there and i didnt see a door really. like someone else said earlier bad planning is what this sounds like to me. next time you go to work on a ride packed into a space that small i hope they take more time into the planning stage instead of make the general plans then jump into it and discover the problems with working in a space that small. imo after the wand came down ahead of schedule i thought the entire ride might be a few weeks ahead also seems i was wrong.

LauraSAnne
10-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Why is Disney so hush-hush about attractions being behind schedule? You would think that they realize A LOT of families plan their vacations around the closing and opening of attractions, and that a lot of those families don't have the money to make frequent visits. It just seems odd to me that the only way they let the general public know, is by quietly updating the refurb schedule online, instead of making a statement or something along those lines. I'm sure that either way they'll have unhappy guests, but I'm sure they would also have more thankful guests if they were forthcoming with information. Just my two cents.

OctDisney
10-29-2007, 08:34 AM
So now over the busiest time, they will have shut down two of the more people consuming rides in WDW. Splash Mtn is going down on Jan.1st, so that week will be more crowded as well at MK.

I would think that over the holidays, Disney would realize that people stand in line more and that should not be acceptable. It will also hurt sales of everything else.

Hopefully we will get Splash Mountain in before Jan. 1st, but SSE was one of my favorites. That is a real bummer.

jclightchasr
11-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Why is Disney so hush-hush about attractions being behind schedule? You would think that they realize A LOT of families plan their vacations around the closing and opening of attractions, and that a lot of those families don't have the money to make frequent visits. It just seems odd to me that the only way they let the general public know, is by quietly updating the refurb schedule online, instead of making a statement or something along those lines. I'm sure that either way they'll have unhappy guests, but I'm sure they would also have more thankful guests if they were forthcoming with information. Just my two cents.

After being in retail for 20 years now I have come to understand the effectiveness of a marketing strategy that I don't always agree with, but it works. That is: Never accentuate the negative. As we all know Disney is a marketing and sales Wiz so this rule is expected to be followed. I am bummed out about the delay. I had thought that it would be completed in time for our trip late Dec 07'. But there are plenty of other things to do and see and we will definately go back to see it again. I am looking forward to seeing the updated SW, HM and even Jack Sparrow on POTC since our last trip.

TinkerbellT421
11-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi guys, Im new to this site. I absolutely love this site to great job. Me and my boyfriend are going to be in Disney from Jan 5-11 and unfortunately the way the rumors go are going to miss the revamp. But we go every year so we will have to wait till our next trip. We love that ride too. We go on it 2 or 3 times when we go. Too bad it won't be open :(

disneycouple2004
11-07-2007, 12:06 PM
I had heard the refurb caused structural concerns within the building so the delay makes sense. The old ride system was built in away that it was actually part of the internal support system for the building. When I heard of the concerns a somewhat scary image of SSE rolling through the parking lots. Of course it flattens the leave a legacy tombstones on the way so it's not a total loss ;)

EXACTLY !!!
:D

thats funny !!!

DigitalDaredevil
11-25-2007, 01:54 PM
SE is my favorite attraction at WDW. I look forward to the update as it was needed and some of the more recent attraction updates have been pretty positive (I.E. HM and PoTC). I'm sad it is delayed though.

wizardmickey
11-25-2007, 02:44 PM
...Of course it flattens the leave a legacy tombstones on the way so it's not a total loss...
Unless of course you and members of your family have paid to Leave a Legacy!!!!!