PDA

View Full Version : I'm a bad person

Dracula766
10-11-2007, 07:06 PM
We had breakfast at 1900 Park Fare on Sunday morning. Everything was great and our server was wonderful.

Long story short... after breakfast while on the bus to DAK, I was doing the math in my head and I realized that I only left a $4 tip when I meant to leave $14. :(

I felt really bad about it and just wanted to make the confession.

thanks

IloveDisney71
10-11-2007, 07:13 PM
I must confess that I have also accidentally done that. I just added the tip incorrectly in my head and didn't realize it until I was balancing my checkbook.
Nobody's perfect - you are not a bad person!:mickey:

SingingLights
10-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Well, we made you for you. While at WDW this summer I gave a $100 bill instead of a $50 bill to the waiter and told him to keep the change. I must I have made his day.:oops:

garymacd
10-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Well, we made you for you. While at WDW this summer I gave a $100 bill instead of a $50 bill to the waiter and told him to keep the change. I must I have made his day.:oops:

Well, we didn't go quite that far overboard. On our latest trip down to WDW, we stopped for dinner at a Cracker Barrell restaurant. The bill only came to about $25. We know the wait staff don't earn much, so we always tip fairly well. Our waitress that night was just such a pleasant girl we decided to give her a very good tip. I went to the front desk to pay the bill and included an extra $5 on the bill for a tip. Once we got back in the car, my beloved wife commented on how nice the girl was and that she left her $5 on the table. I am certain that waitress didn't know what hit her! A $10 tip on a $25 bill.

It would be great if she got a couple of silly, forgetful Canadian tourists at every table. Good thing our money is now at par or slightly above the American dollar.

DessertDivaFL
10-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Sometimes it feels good to get things out in the open. As you read, you find you're not alone.

I find it hard to keep track of the tip when I am with a large group. Everybody throws money in the middle of the table and I count it before I leave because I want to make sure he or she received enough. Since I used to work in a couple restaurants I have more consideration for making sure good service is compensated.

HndrdPrcnt
10-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Huge bummer, but I am sure that someone made up for it somewhere along that server's career. If, however, you had kept your receipt, it should have the server's name and you could always send a note to the restaurant with a little extra $$ if that would make you feel better. That happened to me once. I was a server and I had a table who must have made the same type of mistake. I remember that I was pretty bummed and insulted when I saw the tip they left. However, then a few days later my manager showed me a note and an extra $20 bill along with it. I felt a bit better then!!:)

Madame Leona
10-11-2007, 10:35 PM
My father is not allowed to pay for a bill with cash unless he has someone else count it out for him. One of his worst mistakes was telling a server that everything was all set and keep the change. He had actually shorted the poor man $20.00 on the total of the bill. Luckily, the server caught it before he left the restaurant and the problem was quickly fixed but we've found my dad has counted wrong several other times.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-12-2007, 10:42 AM
I have to admit that I'm guilty of that too...bad math!

DH was a server, and we try to be generous in our tips, especially if the service was good or great, but he and I have crossed wires and each thought that the other left the tip before. We were VERY generous the next time we went to that restaurant.

My great-grandfather was the worst, until the day he died he thought that a quarter was enough tip...we just always slipped back to the table and left more :blush:

brownie
10-12-2007, 11:15 AM
If you have the receipt, WDW Guest Services could probably help you make up the difference to your server.

disneydrmr
10-12-2007, 12:26 PM
You shouldn't feel bad, you were probably not that servers first and you surely won't be the last to short on the tip...

My dh's grandma does not even leave a tip. The few times we've gone out with her I've ended up trying to figure out how much her bill might've been and adding on the money to cover her tip to our tip... I now REFUSE to go out with her.

Figgyluv03
10-12-2007, 01:01 PM
BDf is a horrible tipper. I don't know if it's trying to figure out how much to give or what, but I taught him how to use to tip calculator in his phone and he loves it.

SBETigg
10-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Oh, it happens. Forgive yourself and move on. I'm sure your servers forgave you and forgot about it, too. No worries. :)

#1donaldfan
10-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Bad person? No, just human. Everyone makes mistakes. Let it go and move on, you can't change the past, just prepare for the future.

Marilyn Michetti
10-13-2007, 09:25 AM
You're not bad. You want bad, my (not so dear) BIL used to say, "Oh, I think I left my glasses on the table", then he would go back and take the tip my SIL had left. He didn't believe in tipping, so we don't know how many times he probably did that.:mad:

Jasper
10-13-2007, 09:35 AM
As others have already said, life happens!!

I have both way over tipped and way under tipped by accident. I fall into that group of people that would be called mathematically challenged!

I had a funny experience several years ago at a local restaurant where we eat frequently. My wife and I walked in one evening and the hostess made a comment about how all the wait staff was happy to see us and were all going to be fighting over who was going to get to wait on us. Then after being seated our waitress made a similar comment and also said that the manager would be out to see us shortly. Needless to say I was very curious about what was going on but my wife didn’t seem to be very curious about it at all which is unusual for her.

To make a long story short, I had eaten lunch at this place the day before with a business associate and had a $21.00 bill. When paying I thought I gave the waiter a $20.00 bill and a $10.00 bill and then left without waiting for any change. As it turns out I had actually given him a $20.00 and $100.00 bill!!

Fortunately we frequent this place often enough that they knew who I was and that I had dinner reservations for the next evening with my wife; which is where the manager comes into this story. Apparently they had called my home that night to see if I had really intended to tip that much. When my wife answered the phone she told them not to speak to me and together with the restaurant staff they concocted a diabolical plan to embarrass me about it. Keep in mind that this is the kind of restaurant where you would probably not take your children until they were old enough to have good table manners.

After the waitress brought us our drinks all the wait staff disappeared. Then they all burst out of the kitchen with the manager leading the way holding a fake crown on a pillow. Our waitress was also holding a “robe” that said “King Tipper” on it. After my coronation the manager proceeded to tell me what I had done and how they and my wife had come up with this scheme to pick on me about it. Needless to say I am far more careful about counting my money now than I was at that time!

MickeyMousse
10-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Don't feel bad as I think everyone ends up doing this at one time or another! Although I remember during one of our earlier trips my DH decided to pay the breakfast bill at YC Galley so i could run up to our room to grab ponchos as it looked like rain. As we met outside and started walking to Epcot, I asked him how much the bill was. He says $21 and he left the waiter $40. I looked at him and said "you left a $19 tip??"...after looking at me and thinking he was like "he was a good waiter." I think we made his day because every time we went back to The Galley, you could see he rushed to be our waiter before anyone else!

MMouse6937
10-13-2007, 08:58 PM
You're not bad. You want bad, my (not so dear) BIL used to say, "Oh, I think I left my glasses on the table", then he would go back and take the tip my SIL had left. He didn't believe in tipping, so we don't know how many times he probably did that.:mad:

Yikes, now that's bad :D

I wasn't such a great calculator in WDW when we were there a month ago. I would just leave a $10 or a $20 and leave it at that, plus my dad left some money too. That was on top of the 18% they got with the dining plan. We were having such a great time, I was sharing the fun!! :mickey: