PDA

View Full Version : Chefs de France: Underrated?

MouseHouser
10-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Went in for dinner with low expectations, having read the wait staff can be inattentive if not rude, the food uninteresting, and the atmosphere loud. We were surprised to find we disagree with most of the negative commentary. This was one of our favorite dining experiences of the trip, over Le Cellier and even Yachtsman and Narcoosees.

Our waitress was engaging and professional. As good as it gets, imo.

The atmosphere is a bit cramped, but with all those windows and the wonderful view, it really feels like a bustling Parisian bistro or sidewalk cafe. Bright and airy, you have a window onto the heart of the action of World Showcase. Brilliant setting.

Each dish was creative and delighted us with interesting flavors. My French version of calamari was dressed in piquant sauce and circled a mini stack of ratatouille. Our shrimp and scallop dinners were tender, flavorful and equally importantly to me, hot off the grill. Every dish impressed us.

The wine list features Georges DuBoeuf, which at $40 plus a bottle is no bargain, but it did the trick.

So maybe we got lucky. On a different Disney discussion board this resto rates in the mid 7's on a scale of 1-10. I can see that it might not be the first choice for those with kids. The tables are tight. But for couples, we think it's just right, and romantic too. Our experience was a 10.

big blue and hairy
10-11-2007, 10:11 AM
DW and I have been to Chefs de France multiple times and had anything from a sandwich to steak to escargot. We have always been pleased with the food, service and atmosphere. I don't know what people are complaining about...

:sulley:

tinkergal
10-11-2007, 10:15 AM
I agree with you, MouseHouser. I dined there last December and we had terrific service and food. Nothing could be done about the table next to us, with their constant complaining of life & everything else - give it a rest people...you're at the Happiest Place on Earth! So, yes, it is cramped with those kinds of folks so close by. Fortunately, they left soon enough & were replaced by much better dining companions. :thumbsup: Overall, an enjoyable experience that I'd like to repeat.

TheRustyScupper
10-11-2007, 11:46 AM
1) I fully agree.
2) We enjoy Chefs and Bistro.
3) There will be folks with a less-than-expected experiences.
4) This can create a negative review.
5) However, I have found most such reviews unfounded.

DizneyRox
10-11-2007, 11:58 AM
As far as fine dining goes, it is far from it in my humble opinion. Compared to other places at Disney, I guess it's OK, but in terms of value I don't feel it's there. If anything I feel it's overrated... And this is compared to some local (non big city) french restaurants.

It's all relative I guess...

big blue and hairy
10-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Not trying to be snooty, but I compared it to a famous restaurant on the Champs Elysées. It compared pretty favorably. DW and I love it.

:sulley:

BugeyedMuggy
10-11-2007, 03:37 PM
We went to Chefs de France at the end of Sept. After all the bad threads I was also worried. We were very happy with the meal, service & atmosphere. We never felt rushed & our server was very pleasent & helpful. After our less than poor experience at Cali Grill (which everyone raves about) we will put this on the top of our list next trip. I have learned to judge for myself & take another persons "bad experience" with a grain of salt.

Jared
10-11-2007, 04:25 PM
Finally, a thread praising Les Chefs de France! I'm trying the restaurant for the first time Saturday night, and I was concerned after reading so many negative reviews.

I'm still looking forward to the meal, and these responses are making me even more excited!

:tasty:

mouseketeer mom
10-11-2007, 04:38 PM
I'll join in the praise! All 5 of us loved Chefs de France. Not only did we love the food, we had fun! Our server was really engaging, one of the highlights of our trip was my DH trying to speak french with the waitress. We enjoyed everything from the soup to the Creme Brulee. We had a window seat and loved people watching while we ate. We would return.

jedigrrrl
10-11-2007, 06:04 PM
I've always had nice experiences at Chefs de France. The food is yummy and It's NEVER been loud. weird.

illini
10-11-2007, 06:17 PM
I am suddenly beyond thrilled about my ADR here next month. Sounds like DD8 may have made an excellent choice after all. I wasn't dreading it, but not overjoyed either. Now I am.

Thanks, guys!

BethieTink
10-11-2007, 06:33 PM
After our less than poor experience at Cali Grill (which everyone raves about)

Glad to know it isn't just me who had a poor experience at CG. On that trip we found Artist Point and Jiko far superior to CG. I am off in 5 minutes to try out the Yachtsman. :)

MouseHouser
10-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Glad to hear Chefs de France DOES have its fans, and that our experience wasn't a fluke.

mouseketeer mom, we also enjoyed the window seating. Can’t think of any other Disney resto that has quite the same feel to its window seating. Oh, and that’s cool that your DH can speak French with the staff. I always dust off my Spanish at San Angel Inn. Not sure why in my case my GF seems to find it an embarrassment.:)

Would like to add that I think it's fine to bring kids to Les Chef, even though I said it might not be a parent's first choice. Didn't mean to discourage families. It's just that I know my sister is reluctant to bring her 2-year-old twins to an even slightly formal restaurant. She fears they'll act up and put off neighboring tables. And they're angels (mostly).

But this IS Disney, and as long as parents are willing to respond appropriately to the occasional kid meltdown, for example, by taking them out for a walk, I would really hope families feel welcomed. When I have kids, I intend to bring them to just about any Disney restaurant.