PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Yeti?

GAN
10-11-2007, 05:51 AM
We were down on vacation last week and rode EE, it wasn't the first time -we also rode it for the first time about 1-/12 years ago. The ride was great as usual, but the Yeti at the end of the ride was nowhere to be seen, we did catch a glimpse of fur. Now, I remember clearly that when we first rode he was very visible and huge, taking a swoop with his hand. Have they changed this part of the ride? I have heard that there are 2 different effects on EE, one with strobe lighting and another with full lighting -but I would assume that the Yeti would be clearly visible in either scene. The only other thing I could think of would be that we were in the front row and maybe the timing was just off for the lighting for us but others on the ride with us did catch him. Any input to help solve the mystery?

DisneyDudet
10-11-2007, 06:21 AM
Well, all I can think of is that you didn't look up fast enough! He is pretty fast and the ride is quick at that time as well. So it could be a combination of you sitting in the front, and him sneaking up on you.

Either that, or it may not have been working properly.

Tinkitude
10-11-2007, 08:11 AM
My family and I were in Disney last week as well. We also noticed that on the first day we rode EE, which was Monday I believe, we didn't see the Yeti very well. But on Wednesday and Friday, he was very visible. This was our first experience with EE, and we loved it. My husband and sons rode it 16 times over three days. I only went 15. So exciting. It is our new favorite.

spinnerf
10-11-2007, 09:03 AM
We saw the Yeti last month, it goes very quick and you almost have to be looking slightly up, not directly straight ahead. I knew it was coming so it was easy. But since you rode before maybe he was having maintainance???

2Epcot
10-11-2007, 09:06 AM
My husband and sons rode it 16 times over three days. I only went 15. So exciting.

ONLY 15 times ... is that all? :funny:

Belle_0717
10-11-2007, 10:30 AM
I remember seeing the Yeti every trip. Fortunately we leave in 2 days, 13 hours, 35 minutes so I will be able to experience again several times.

I have to admit I have not made it 16 times but I did ride it 6 times in a row. :cloud9: DH hates that - he can only ride once due to motion sickness. (DH was hoping I would be pregnant this trip but NO SUCH LUCK. Now he wants to bring home a souvenier!)

I may have a new record to strive for.:yay:

kbean
10-11-2007, 10:32 AM
I heard the Yeti Walked off. Something about not having a dental plan.

TheRustyScupper
10-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Where's the Yeti?

In the souvenir shop.

KAJUNKING
10-11-2007, 11:50 AM

now that you mention it i did hear on the news that someone spotted a large hairy man outside ak with a picket sign

kbean
10-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Wow, well I'll be...

Tygger7
10-11-2007, 11:54 AM

:funny::rotfl: And I thought he had been laid off due to corporate down-sizing.

AbeeNormal
10-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Does that mean their hiring......:joy:

My brother's pretty hairy...:chewy:

Jeff G
10-11-2007, 12:46 PM
When we were down a couple weeks back the Yeti was working fine on one day but on another he was MIA (lunch break?).

One thing I noticed, when the ride firt started they had the shadow of the Yeti tear up the tracks. That effect was missing, has that been removed?

Belle_0717
10-11-2007, 12:57 PM
If they are in need of a new Yeti, I can bring my baby - a 5 month old kitten who is conveniently a polydactyl (he has 5 toes on each paw) and E:E @WDW is how he got his name!

Kairi_7378
10-11-2007, 01:00 PM
We thought that you get a better view of the yeti the further back you sit on the train. When we sat in the last seat it looked like he was about to touch us!

disneyjo-91
10-11-2007, 01:17 PM
Where is the Yeti?

A few trips ago walking near the pool at the GF hotel.... a man yelled to his wife.. I SEE THE YETI.. she looked up (so did i) and there he was...

a big hairy man on his balcony....

I almost died laughing :funny::funny:

maybe the Yeti is there getting som R&R.

mickeysworld
10-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Where is the Yeti?

A few trips ago walking near the pool at the GF hotel.... a man yelled to his wife.. I SEE THE YETI.. she looked up (so did i) and there he was...

a big hairy man on his balcony....

I almost died laughing :funny::funny:

maybe the Yeti is there getting som R&R.

Too funny!

This thread reminds me of the first time my DH and I rode EE. We have little ones so we used parent swap, I went first, then DH. So, after he exits, I say to him, what did you think? wasn't it awesome?! The huge Yeti was so cool huh?!! to which his response was, what Yeti?

My response to him: What Yeti?!?!
What Yeti?!?! are you completely blind or insane or both?!! He's only about to reach out and grab you!!!

We had a great laugh about it and he of course had to go on again to see if he could "find" the Yeti! :D

MickeyandTink
10-11-2007, 02:43 PM
One thing I noticed, when the ride firt started they had the shadow of the Yeti tear up the tracks. That effect was missing, has that been removed?

It was there two weeks ago, but it's after you have already had to back up because of the tracks being torn up.

#1donaldfan
10-11-2007, 03:22 PM
In June he was there trying his best to get at us....we rode it numerous times and each time he was there....maybe he was "offline" your last ride.....or like the other posts, maybe you didn't look up in time......

BugeyedMuggy
10-11-2007, 03:54 PM
When we were there end of Sept. we rode at least 3 different days. One morning about 30 mins. after opening there was a hugh line and a CM said the ride was down. We grabbed a fast pass and went about 3 hrs. later. The ride was working but the Yeti was not. Maybe that was the same day. (around Sept 26th) My DH wanted to try to get a pic of the Yeti. So far he got his toes.

GrumpyFan
10-11-2007, 04:16 PM
According to an article I saw somewhere (Jim Hill's site, I think), shortly after EE opened, they were experiencing some technical difficulties with the Yeti, so the Imagineers made a few lighting additions with strobes and such to have an alternative version in which he doesn't actually move. Apparently, the Yeti requires a huge amount of power and is very complex in his movements, and is prone to break-downs. So, when he does fail, they simply "flip a switch" and the "B" mode is shown, where he doesn't actually move, but is made to appear scary.

We rode it in September, at least half a dozen times, and he was working fine. Maybe something broke on him recently and they're awaiting replacement parts.

Imagineer1981
10-11-2007, 04:24 PM
he is a giant a Yeti, maybe he was eating a hiker at the time?

thejens
10-11-2007, 05:05 PM
I think that role has been outsourced.

GAN
10-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Where's the Yeti?

In the souvenir shop.

Don't you mean:

1) In the souvenir shop. (?)

pink
10-13-2007, 12:22 PM
All I can think of is that maybe it went by too fast. I remember seeing it very clearly in June when I rode it but then again I was looking for it! :mickey:

WDWfanatic742
10-13-2007, 03:51 PM
I honestly can't see how anyone would miss it. The only reason would be if it is not lit.

Speedy1998
10-13-2007, 04:27 PM
I saw a documentry about the building of EE. The Yeti is supposed to be the most techicnologically advanced Audio-anomatronic figure Disney has ever built, it would not suprise me if he still has bugs that need to be worked out. Remeber how long it took them to get Test Track working consitently.

delusionalstitch
10-14-2007, 11:02 AM
I find myself alot of time being a tad disorient from going backwards in the dark so I can never get a good look right before the drop....

garthbarth1
10-14-2007, 03:26 PM
My husband and I rode the ride for the first time on Sept 26. We both remember a shadow af the Yetis arm but do not remember seeing a animatronic arm going out to swoop you up. I have heard this is how its supposed to be but I swear I didnt remember that being the case and I was kind of confused and disappointed! I do remember seeing the Yeti up high with a strobe light on. Is this supposed to be when it happens? We did not get a chance to ride it again while on our trip. Now I feel like maybe we have missed something?:confused:

DisneyTwirler13!
10-14-2007, 03:32 PM
the yeti is at the very end of the ride, right before you go back outside and get off. He's big and brown, and on your right side. he moves his arm and it seems like he's swooping down at you
the strobe light that garthbarth1 mentioned might have been when you were about to go down the hill after seeing the yeti's silhouette, and they take your picture...

garthbarth1
10-14-2007, 03:42 PM
OK I remember the strobe light and I remember the end of the ride and there was definitley no arm swooping down at us! Im so disappointed! (this was also 9/26 like someone else mentioned!) Thanks for the info...guess I will just have to go back! Maybe until then I can catch it on youtube!

WDWfanatic742
10-14-2007, 05:11 PM
There are two or three different modes to the yeti.

Mode A - The main version, with the Yeti coming at you.
Mode B - The strobe light I believe.
If there is the third mode, it is the light up eyes and the yeti is still.