PDA

View Full Version : Losing the Magic...

IloveJack
10-09-2007, 04:45 PM
The thread about the WOD store in NYC got me thinking. I've only been there once, as I've only been to NYC once. While I was there, I was with my friend who used to be a CM at DL. He seemed to rush me out of the store, with an "Been-there, done-that" attitude. In fact, I remember very little about the store, other than the "I :mickey: NYC" shirts... and it was only 5 years ago. So now I'm wondering, how many former CMs lose the magic after being there for a while, or after leaving? (This guy could talk Disney like nobody's business, but he didn't have that "glow" like I'm sure so many of us do, when talking about it). He had a crush on me... Glad it wasn't mutual, as 2 years later, I started dating my dh, and he's a huge Disney fan, and never intends to lose his love for :mickey:.
So how many of you know a former CM who's lost their love of all things Disney? Or worse, a current CM?
Wonder why that happens?

Happy Halloween :jack:

DizneyRox
10-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Well, I'd guess that part of the "problem" is that often, the "magic" doesn't exist behind the scenes as much as it does on stage.

I would imagine it's fairly easy lose that feeling when you end up in all kinds of disciplinary trouble. Being a CM has to be a no win situtation many times. With Disney's focus on outstanding customer service, if a guest leaves mad, or has any sort of a bad experience, someone has to pay.

Again, it's just a guess, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

SteveL
10-09-2007, 06:45 PM
After a while you realize it is a company being run like all other companies with a goal of making money.
Creating the magic for the guests is merely a means to make more money from them.

Lacy
10-09-2007, 11:00 PM
After a while you realize it is a company being run like all other companies with a goal of making money.
Creating the magic for the guests is merely a means to make more money from them.

I agree with this. There were times when I was surprised at the way cast members were treated just to make a bit more money. After being on the college program, I had a different appreciation for Disney. I wouldn't say the magic was lost but you think about things differently. Trust me no damage was done as I love Disney and Disney vacations just as much now if not more than before I was on the program.

elizabeth turner
10-10-2007, 02:32 PM
I was disappointed this summer on our third trip to WDW. For the first time I experienced awful rudeness from so many guests and CM's. Maybe I was too caught up in the experiences on the previous trips or it really was bad this time with rudeness. I had a hard time even going on disney sites or reading my disney books because I was so bummed out after the last trip. As you can see I'm better now. Some of the people there behaived so ugly that I never want to see that agian, but I know I probably will. The worst of it came on our last full day there in MGM on star wars weekend (June 15th) yikes! When we went to Disneyland I could see a difference in the "happy factor" but this trip was worse than disneyland, rudeness wise.