PDA

View Full Version : Jersey Week

TinkInTraining
10-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Good afternoon, so...I'[m day's away from my vacation and I can't help but be worried about New Jersey week.

I'll be down in the world from 11/01 - 11/11...right in the middle of NJ week and the Soaps weekend...

We've never gone during this time and I'm not sure what to expect....I'm scared the crowds are going to be unbearable...

Any hints, suggestions, etc?

Scar
10-09-2007, 03:26 PM
You have a right to be scared. New Jersey people are unbearable. ;)

Seriously, I was there in ’05 and it wasn’t bad at all. Avoid MGM on Soap Weekend. The first weekend before Soap is a normal “off season” weekend. During the week, maybe it was a little more crowded on Thursday and Friday (those are the days school is out), but I didn’t think it was too crowded the rest of the time.

There have been many threads on this. Search "Jersey Week" in this forum, and in the vacation planning forum.

JERSEYDISFAN
10-09-2007, 04:03 PM
A-h-hhhh, we Joisey folk ain't dat bad. We're just misunderstood. Joisey week is a lot of fun. We go to a different park each day - trow out anyone who don't know what a egg, cheese and Taylor Ham sandwich is - and have a blast. Once in a while we let in someone from NYC or Phillie if dey can prove dey was born in Joisey.

wedway76
10-09-2007, 08:58 PM
It's Jersey week here every week! It is unbearable! No one should have to put up with that on vacation. I would change weeks if I were you. ;)

martinfamily5
10-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Yous guys sound fun. I'd hang out with ya at the World. (btw, born in Port Jeff, Long Island, NY)

DizNee143
10-10-2007, 11:21 AM
im from jersey..and i didnt even realize it was jersey week..lol..i will be there from the 4th - 10th...only reason we are going that week is cuz we got a wedding to go to...:mickey:

Figgyluv03
10-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Are we that bad that we have to scare away people who arent' from our fine state! You should fine. I heard the crowds aren't that bad. Besides, you know most of the teachers will be down in AC drunk as anything, so you can cross them off the list! If you're worries our kind picking on yous, just practice saying "yous guys" and make sure you know what a jug handle is.

gtpooh
10-10-2007, 01:19 PM
We've gone twice in the past during that week, and will be there this year during that week as well. We've found the crowds not to be bad at all, and we love the F&W Festival in Epcot. It won't be empty, but there are many more busy times to go and visit....

FamilyBand1
10-10-2007, 03:40 PM
It's not the Joisey people. "You from Joisey? I'm from Joisey!" It's the sheer volume of people! It's as though the entire state travels down during what was normally a very dead time at the parks.

wedway76
10-10-2007, 06:29 PM
It's not the Joisey people. "You from Joisey? I'm from Joisey!" It's the sheer volume of people! It's as though the entire state travels down during what was normally a very dead time at the parks.

We understand that the number of people is the issue. Although don't underestimate how annoying we could be.

And I think Joe Piscopo is the only person from NJ that pronounces it Joisey.

jillluvsdisney
10-10-2007, 09:05 PM
All the post from Jersey have been hilarious.:mickey: This will be my third time during Jersey week (or as my family calls it.."birthday week") and the crowds have always been fine.

JohnHMCWYG
10-11-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm on the border of New Jersey myself, being as our town is just a few miles before West Milford. I didn't know that there was such a thing as Jersey Week. I know there are cheerleader weeks and Pop Warner weeks, but the Jersey thing is a new one on me.

It can't be that bad.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Figgyluv03
10-11-2007, 12:23 PM
I don't know if it's the same in every school district, but in ours, Monday-Wednesdays are half days for Parent-Teacher meetings, and then Thursday and Friday the students have off because there is a big teachers conference in AC. It's usually two weeks before Thanskgiving. I love Novembers in school 'cause it felt like we were never there.

wedway76
10-12-2007, 10:06 AM
I don't know if it's the same in every school district, but in ours, Monday-Wednesdays are half days for Parent-Teacher meetings, and then Thursday and Friday the students have off because there is a big teachers conference in AC. It's usually two weeks before Thanskgiving. I love Novembers in school 'cause it felt like we were never there.

Half days are nice. My son has full days in the beginning of the week. This is my son’s first year in NJ Public School (he went to a private grammar school) so this is the first time he has those teacher convention days off. This is also his first year in HS we don’t want to take him out. If he had half days Monday through Wednesday I probably would have taken him out of school and gone down there.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-12-2007, 11:20 AM
:mickey:The first time we went, it happened to be Jersey week, but we didn't know that, were just surprised by the number of people from New Jersey we met.

You know, we're chatting with people in the lines and stuff and it seems that every third person is from New Jersey...we just thought that it was kinda cool.

We didn't have a huge problem with crowds, got to do all of the rides we wanted...but it was like a lightbulb turning on when we learned about "Jersey Week"

jwallace378
10-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Why do people think that NJ people pronounce it "Joisey"? We really don't.

DisneyFan1979
10-12-2007, 12:41 PM
You can expect crowds equivalent to the summertime probably. But not nearly as bad as Christmas week or April vacation week.

And just don't go to the Studios on Saturday and Sunday. However, if your schedule requires you to - no worries: the park itself is crowded for walking but the SSW weekend attendees will be waiting in line for autographs and other events - they won't really be riding the rides. At least that was my experience.

SBETigg
10-12-2007, 12:53 PM

It's from an old Saturday Night Live skit with John Belushi. I don't think anyone *really* thinks you say it that way. Though some New Yorkers might say it that way. :blush:

Similarly, a lot of people may suspect I pahk the cah in the yahd because I'm from MA but that's just in the Boston area. It's not the way the majority of people in the state actually speak. But I just smile and roll with it.

But back to the thread- a lot of MA schools share the same break and go then, too. Why can't it be Massachusetts Week? I'm jealous. We've gone then and the crowds were mild, not bad at all. But it probably fluctuates.

diz_girl
10-12-2007, 03:27 PM
I pahk the cah in the yahd
:rotfl: That line always gets me whenever I see it in writing. I finally learned how to quote on the boards - Woohoo!

Anyway, don't get worried that it will be the like the characters from Sopranos everywhere you go, its not, although you may see a few. Maybe a couple Clerks types too. Also, my boss went down last year and said that the lines weren't bad at all.

tinksmom02
10-12-2007, 09:46 PM
A-h-hhhh, we Joisey folk ain't dat bad. We're just misunderstood. Joisey week is a lot of fun. We go to a different park each day - trow out anyone who don't know what a egg, cheese and Taylor Ham sandwich is - and have a blast. Once in a while we let in someone from NYC or Phillie if dey can prove dey was born in Joisey.

My poor daughter could not understand why she couldn't get a pork roll, egg and cheese when we were in the World LOL (her all-time favorite food, and the main reason we haven't moved away from NJ yet)

from this corner of NJ, I've heard more people travelling to WDW during our Spring Break, rather than Jersey week (our school district has off the last week in April, instead of after Easter).

JohnHMCWYG
10-13-2007, 10:44 AM
I've only had experience with Spring Breakers myself throughout my various vacations. They're a very entertaining bunch. I don't see them as bad people, but that could be because they enjoy my dancing at DTD.

If you're good on your feet, people will like you, if only for the moments you see them...At least, that's been my experience.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

DisneyGiant
10-13-2007, 10:17 PM

I think SNL got it from Jersey City\Bayonne area......

Our experience with Jersey week was not bad at all.

It did get really crowded at the Food & Wine Festival on that Friday night..........

And - add me to the list of New Jerseyan's that LOVE taylor ham (aka pork roll)!!!!!!!

JerseyDad
10-15-2007, 10:55 AM
....Woo-Hoo!! My FIRST post!!!! :cloud9:

....my opinion, the "crowds" during Jersey Week are not bad at all. By comparison, our first WDW vacation was in Spring '04...the week before Easter Sunday. We caught the Spring Break / Easter recess crowds and there were +2 hour waits for some attractions, such as Test Track...

....we were pleasantly suprised when we returned that same year in the fall ("Jersey Week")....and literally 'walked on' to Test Track as well as most other attractions. The shorter lines (again..by comparison to Spring Break).... great "non-summer" weather.....teamed up with the company of all the other "Joisey-ites"........makes it a great time to be in WDW.

....gonna' be there again this year (Nov 8th-11th)...for an abbreviated stay after we return from a Disney cruise.

battle beast
10-15-2007, 11:28 AM
New Jersey? Nothing good ever came out of New jersey! :thedolls:

Just kidding!

diz_girl
10-15-2007, 11:54 AM
:welcome: to Intercot Jersey Dad!!!

My parents, my sister's family and my family were planning on taking trips to WDW every other May, even when our children start school. However, since both my sister and I live in New Jersey (transplants from Philadelphia - Go Eagles!) maybe we should go during Jersey week and they would miss less school. Plus, it's the Food & Wine Festival. It's something that we will have to think about.

Figgyluv03
10-15-2007, 12:18 PM
New Jersey? Nothing good ever came out of New jersey! :thedolls:

Just kidding!

Bon Jovi & me! ha ha!!!!!

wendy*darling
10-15-2007, 12:24 PM
We've done Jersey Week once before (will probably do it again in the future).
We stayed the whole week, and found the crowds increased only on Thursday & Friday (the actual days off). And it was quite festive. Instead of the CMs asking where you were from they asked "where in NJ are you from?" :D

The weekend was a different story however. Between Food & Wine, Super Soap Weekend and the Festival of the Masters- the crowds were much heavier. Mostly locals- Jersey Week has nothing to do with this influx. Avoid MGM on the weekend, and do the Food & Wine during the day, or earlier in the week if possible. AK and MK should be fine.

Have fun- and make a friend from NJ!!

(PS- I'm originally from Bayonne and I've never said Joisey, but I do love my Taylor Ham (pork roll) !)

JerseyDad
10-15-2007, 12:28 PM
.....appreciate the Welcome diz_girl !! The Food & Wine (and beer too) Festival is a great reason to get to WDW in the fall. We always have made it a point to try and "end up" our days in Epcot...and then eat & drink our way around the World Showcase...with a sitdown dinner at one of the various countries!! Pretty sure the wife has already made reservations for San Angel Inn in Mexico and the Teppanyaki Dining Room in Japan.....I cannot wait!! (

We''ll be in WDW...staying at POP...in...<now looking at calendar...looking at watch.....looking at my Days Till Disney Counter thingy on computer screen>....24 days!!