PDA

View Full Version : Are Backpacks allowed...?

AbeeNormal
10-09-2007, 02:23 PM
I thought I might carry a small one with all of our stuff, but I know in some parks in California they're not allowed.:(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated:thumbsup:

irish1967
10-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Yes - they are searched by security as you enter the parks, but a small backpack is not a problem at all!

10-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Yes, backpacks are allowed. They do search them at the entrance to each park.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Yes, you are allowed to bring a backpack in. Security will take a look inside it, but I've never had any issues!

Imagineer1981
10-09-2007, 02:36 PM
A regular school bag size backpack is fine (not one of those giant camping kind!) as they fit the best in rides:mickey:

AbeeNormal
10-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Fantastic....:mickey3::mickey3:

Thank you all so much..:whew:

EJS-Houston
10-09-2007, 04:43 PM
I was considering carrying a small backpack on my WDW trip next month, and I'm glad to hear they're okay in the parks...but what do you do with them when you're on some of the more intense rides...ones where you're in pretty tight restraint, like Mission: Space, and Rockin Roller Coaster? I've never carried a pack in the parks and I can't remember seeing what other people did with their packs/purses/etc....

Aggie97
10-09-2007, 04:54 PM
We always carry a smaller travel backpack in the parks (smaller than a school-sized backpack). On more intense rides, one of us will tuck the backpack underneath/behind our feet on the floor of the car. We run a foot through one of the straps of the backpack, too, just to be extra safe! I'm not sure how well this would work with a full-size backpack, but we've never had a problem with the smaller bag. :)

DONROCK
10-09-2007, 05:10 PM
School size backpack is allowed and works just fine. I have used one our last 3 trips to WDW. I have room for my camera, snacks, a water bottle and room to stuff a sweatshirt for cooler times. For rides, I just place it on the floor between my feet (and on some thrill rides put my foot through one of the straps to make it extra secure).

DakotaDisney
10-09-2007, 05:17 PM
If you are not able to hold on to your bag on a ride, which is the case for the more intense rides, most if not all have a bungie pouch under the seat or behind the seat right infront of you. On Mission Space there is a compartment with a door to put stuff in.

If you don't have a large family to carry stuff for I would suggest a small bike riders/hikers/runners shoulder bag. I picked one up at Target before I went on my trip to DW for I think less than $24. Even though it is smaller than a school backpack it still had plenty of room for stuff for one or two people. (I could get my phone, camera, a few zip lock bags for water rides, park maps, my raincoat, my PDA and my zip-off legs from my pants in there. )
It was also lighter and more comfortable and easier to manage than any size backpack. I could easily bring it around to the front to get something out without having to take it off. I could also bring it to the front and wear it that way on some rides. It also wasn't a cumbersome thing to be wearing or dealing with all day in crowds, rides, etc.

Marker
10-09-2007, 05:24 PM
if I may make one plea to the back pack wearers.... please keep in mind that you have a back pack on, and the space you occupy is no longer limited to your own body. If you lean on a rail while waiting in line, your back extends into the adjacent line. If you back up, or make a sudden turn, your back pack is still there, and more than willing to bang into anyone in it's path.

And probably most importantly, please don't give others a dirty look when your back pack hits them. It's really not their fault that you are occupying more space than you are used to. :thumbsup:

DakotaDisney
10-09-2007, 06:05 PM
I agree with Marker.

You have to be polite and careful when you are wearing a backpack in crowds.

That is another reason why I like the smaller shoulder bag for runners & bicyclists. It doesn't stick out anywhere near as much and you can wear it at your side or in front in lines or crowds.

EJS-Houston
10-09-2007, 06:06 PM
My pack's a tiny little traveller's pack...about 1/2 the size of a school backpack so I should have no trouble with it if I take all the great advice posted here when going on rides with it.

As for your experiences, Marker, I doubt that anyone on this site would be that self-absorbed or assinine. I think you just ran into a few unfortunate individuals...and I would only urge you to not judge all backpackers by these few unpleasant cretins.

nicole48040
10-09-2007, 06:17 PM
I have done the backpack thing many times and I would like to pass on this advice to you.....do not take on the burden of of your whole family's needs. Buy each child a belt pack so they can carry their own snacks and autograph books (no backpacks though, you end up searching the whole park for them). Husbands have backs too, so put his to use as well. Get yourself a small size sling backpack (I can give you several great brands if you pm me) and that way you won't get tired of having the weight of the world on your shoulders all day. Also, utilize lockers whenever possible. I also went to walmart and purchased caribeaners with a rubber thingy that fits onto most water bottles (camping section) so everyone can connect a bottle of water to their packs, don't try carrying enough for everyone yourself. All that stuff can really take a toll on you, and it's just not necessary :thumbsup:

noahdove
10-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Yes, you are allowed to bring a backpack in. Security will take a look inside it, but I've never had any issues!

Me neither and I had much "stuff" in it:blush:

IloveDisney71
10-09-2007, 09:02 PM
School size backpack is allowed and works just fine. I have used one our last 3 trips to WDW. I have room for my camera, snacks, a water bottle and room to stuff a sweatshirt for cooler times. For rides, I just place it on the floor between my feet (and on some thrill rides put my foot through one of the straps to make it extra secure).
:ditto::exactly:This has always worked for me too!

#1donaldfan
10-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Can't survive without our backpack....bought at Disney and much smaller than a students pack. I don't ever remember "running" anyone over with mine.....it's normally very crowded when we go, so a pack would just "pad" any unfortunate "bump" into anyone. I'd rather bump into a pack than a sweaty person...yuck!!

AbeeNormal
10-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Can't survive without our backpack....bought at Disney and much smaller than a students pack. I don't ever remember "running" anyone over with mine.....it's normally very crowded when we go, so a pack would just "pad" any unfortunate "bump" into anyone. I'd rather bump into a pack than a sweaty person...yuck!!

I hear ya on the sweaty part......:shake:
I just wanted something small for a few things. I certainly don't want something that is going to "Run people Down":oops:

Marker
10-10-2007, 09:10 AM
I've never used at backpack at WDW, and can't ever imagine doing so. When kids were little we used diaper bag in a stroller, but never a backpack.

These days, if I can't carry it, I don't bring it. Typically, the camera is in my pocket, my refillable mug filled with coffee as I leave the resort in the morning is in my hand and later clipped to a carribeaner on a belt loop. Billfold, cell phone and WDW key in my pocket, and that's pretty much it.

I've just never felt the need to carry anything more. But I've seen people with backpack stuffed full so full it probably has more in it for the day than I brought with me on the trip. Just not my style I guess.

AbeeNormal
10-10-2007, 01:04 PM
I've never used at backpack at WDW, and can't ever imagine doing so. When kids were little we used diaper bag in a stroller, but never a backpack.

These days, if I can't carry it, I don't bring it. Typically, the camera is in my pocket, my refillable mug filled with coffee as I leave the resort in the morning is in my hand and later clipped to a carribeaner on a belt loop. Billfold, cell phone and WDW key in my pocket, and that's pretty much it.

I've just never felt the need to carry anything more. But I've seen people with backpack stuffed full so full it probably has more in it for the day than I brought with me on the trip. Just not my style I guess.

That's why I love this sight.:cloud9: Everyone has a different opinion and you can take something away from each one.:thumbsup: Thanks Marker I never really looked at it that way.:D

DisFan01
10-10-2007, 07:24 PM
I was considering carrying a small backpack on my WDW trip next month, and I'm glad to hear they're okay in the parks...but what do you do with them when you're on some of the more intense rides...ones where you're in pretty tight restraint, like Mission: Space, and Rockin Roller Coaster? I've never carried a pack in the parks and I can't remember seeing what other people did with their packs/purses/etc....

Rides such as Mission SPACE, Soarin', Dinosaur, ect., have "carry-on pouches" that you can put then into. :thumbsup:

EJS-Houston
10-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Excellent, DisFan! Good to know. Once again, Disney rules when it comes to customer service.