PDA

View Full Version : Princess Meal?? Help!!

momof3+twins
10-09-2007, 01:15 PM
I really really want to do a Princess Meal this time. I finally have a girl so I get to do the girly stuff. But, the problem is that I probably won't get Cindy's since it is in such demand. Plus the cost is a little much. So, where should I go? I don't want to do a breakfast. Dinner or lunch would work out. I would at least like to see Cinderella. 1900 at the Grand Floridan looks nice. Any reviews? What about the food at the Akershus Meal? We don't like fish in this house, so keep that it mind! Thanks alot for your help in advance!!!!:mickey::mickey:

jenny1976
10-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Hey,
I have done both Akershus and Cinderella's Gala Feast at 1900 Park Fare. First off, you will not see Cinderella at Akershus, so if this is a priority, this is not the restaurant for you. You are 100% guaranteed to see Cindy @ CGF. That said, the restaurant to be chosen depends on how finiky you are. Akershus is more Norwegian Cuisine at lunch and dinner. 1900 Park Fare offers a good array of American Cuisine, especially good for finiky little eaters. Each restaurant has its charm and distictive character. Although I must say, if you would enjoy seeing Cindy dance with the Prince, I recomend 1900. Also, I have the experience that character interaction is much better at 1900.
I hope this helps!

ledudes
10-09-2007, 02:37 PM
We have done a few of the Princess meals, and they are all pretty equal as far as seeing princesses, but our favorite is still the castle. Don't give up on it, there is a chance you will be able to get in, just keep trying starting 180 days out. I like that you get a picture, wand, and wishing star and my daughter loves the wishing ceremony, also, we love the breakfast food there. The one at the Grand Floridian was nice and so was Akershus, (although I think the menu has changed since we were there last)so if you can't get the castle, try for either of those. The Floridian had a Prince too which was a nice change. I think they are also all pretty close in price too.

Mary Poppins fan
10-09-2007, 03:04 PM
My DDs(6) love 1900 Park Fare, mainly for Cinderella and the Prince. (DS13 also tolerates it for the food :secret:) We've done the castle for lunch and breakfast, but this was before the prices skyrocketed a couple of years ago. Whatever you decide, you'll have a great time!

Mom2princesses
10-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Hey,
I have done both Akershus and Cinderella's Gala Feast at 1900 Park Fare. First off, you will not see Cinderella at Akershus, so if this is a priority, this is not the restaurant for you. You are 100% guaranteed to see Cindy @ CGF. That said, the restaurant to be chosen depends on how finiky you are. Akershus is more Norwegian Cuisine at lunch and dinner. 1900 Park Fare offers a good array of American Cuisine, especially good for finiky little eaters. Each restaurant has its charm and distictive character. Although I must say, if you would enjoy seeing Cindy dance with the Prince, I recomend 1900. Also, I have the experience that character interaction is much better at 1900.
I hope this helps!

We did see Cinderella at Akershus just this past August. So you can see her there but you never know for sure which princesses you'll see. At 1900 you only see Cinderella with the Prince and I think the mice? At Norway you will see a total of 5 princesses. One will be in the lobby. (We had Belle in her gold dress) where you take a picture. The other princesses that we saw were Ariel, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and Cinderella. They rotate what princesses are there but we were happy. The food was just ok for us. Nothing great but not awful either. But the princess interaction was very very good.
My 2 girls had a great time.

Have fun! We also did CRT the princesses we saw there were Cinderella, Belle in her blue and white dress, Sleeping Beauty, Mary Poppins (she was great and really in character!) and the Fairy Godmother and that was wonderful. It was just so special being inside the castle. We did breakfast at CRT and Dinner at Norway.

Have fun with your :princess:

heidi614
10-09-2007, 07:18 PM
My daughter is 7 and loves all the princess's so the Akraus House is good for us. We always see Jasmine, Belle, Little Mermaid, Snow White and Aurora. One time Cindy. We've always gone there. Breakfast is your best bet for American Food. Cindy is not a gaurntee there, but she is always at the Judges' Tent in MK toontown. 1900 is nice with Cindy, Prince Fairy godmother and mice. We've seen Alice and Mary PP there too. Food is good. This is our first time for getting into the Castle for Breakfast. Yeah!

momof3+twins
10-09-2007, 08:31 PM
What is the wishing ceremony? And I totally didn't know that they gave you a wishing star and wand. Cute!! What is your best advice for getting the Castle? What do they serve for Breakfast? I hate eggs and bacon!! Thanks for your help. I guess I can try Cindys and then go for 1900 if we don't get it. Cinderella and Prince Charming dancing sounds really cute!

tinksmom02
10-09-2007, 09:05 PM
We were just at 1900 for dinner not two weeks ago, I am literally just on my way to post my review, check it out! It's a nice dinner..I've only done breakfasts at AKershus and the CAstle, so i can't compare food, but the atmosphere seems to be a little less chaotic than in other places!

nicole48040
10-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Keep this is mind...you can book both 1900 park fare AND Akershus for the same price as CRT. I am going in Nov. and decided we would rather see all the princesses, not just one.....food for thought:blush:

illini
10-10-2007, 12:09 AM
Well, is Cinderella more important or multiple princesses? Your DD may surprise you. We've also seen Cindy at Akershus.

I was hyped to try 1900PF this trip, but when they switched from Mice to Ugly Stepsisters, I consulted DD. She preferred Akershus.

Haven't eaten at 1900PF. I think you'd be fine at Akershus. I'm personally upset that they Americanized the menu so much, but I'm sure that's a bonus for you. You can easily eat there without encountering fish. The setting is gorgeous, too.

scootch713
10-10-2007, 09:31 AM
We have done both, my girls both love Akershus much better than CRT. I think they didn't like Cinderella down in the lobby... they can do that in toontown. I would definitely go to Akershus again.

bibbidiboo3
10-10-2007, 10:50 AM
We ate dinner at 1900 Park Fare 3 weeks ago. Food was good, nice variety for all - separate kid-friendly stations with their favorites and an ice cream bar. We booked based on seeing Cindy and the mice, and while a little disappointed that it's now the stepmother and stepsister - they put on a great show and were a real hoot!! Cinderella was stunning and my dd's were so glad to meet her. You'll have fun wherever you go. Don't forget you can meet Cindy at Toontown as well!

MickeyandTink
10-10-2007, 04:24 PM
We did dinner at both Akershus and 1900PF two weeks ago. Both were good, but Akershus was a definite favorite. You will see a lot more princesses at Akershus and the atmosphere is a lot more charming. We saw Cinderella, Snow White, Aurora, Ariel (DD's favorite) and Alice from AIW. 1900 PF has Cinderella and Prince Charming along with the wicked SM and SS's. SM and SS's were actually a lot more fun than Cindy.

If you go to 1900PF, ask for the main dining area or else you will miss out on a lot of the things going on.

As for food, both are good but we all agreed Akershus was better. I had a venison sirloin (based on our waiter's recommendation) that was as good a piece of meat as I have ever had. The appetizers are mostly fish, but they have several excellent cheese and salad dishes as well. As for 1900PF, there is a nice variety of ethnic cuisines and the strawberry soup is really good (It's more of a dessert than an appetizer, though).

momof3+twins
10-11-2007, 01:38 PM
I am really worried about the food at Akershus. I think that it sounds really nice but I am a little scared of the menu. Like I said before fish is not our thing. Is this a family served type meal or a buffet or do you just order want you want? I guess I need to look at the menu again. Sell me on Akershus!! :mickey:

momof3+twins
10-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Does anyone know how up to date the Akershus menu is? Does it change alot? I really want to go there because of the atmosphere but I just don't think the food is going to work out for us.
So, I guess I will just hope to get the castle or try 1900. Or just have to see the princesses in the park!:)

MickeyandTink
10-11-2007, 03:31 PM
I am really worried about the food at Akershus. I think that it sounds really nice but I am a little scared of the menu. Like I said before fish is not our thing. Is this a family served type meal or a buffet or do you just order want you want? I guess I need to look at the menu again. Sell me on Akershus!! :mickey:

It's really kind of all three. The appetizer/salad bar is an all-you-can-eat buffet. Your main course is individually ordered of of the menu. Dessert is served family style with 3 different desserts on a large plate that you serve individual portions from.

I just checked the menu listed on Intercot's Info Central for Akershus and I can tell you it is out of date. The dishes we had are not even on there. I had a venison sirloin and DW had some traditional Norwegian meat and potato dish whose name I don't remember. DD6 had pasta noodles with butter. They were all excellent.

momof3+twins
10-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Okay, I know I am dumb but what is vension? Is it the way it is cooked? Is sounds good. The other things sound good too. When did you go?

momof3+twins
10-11-2007, 08:13 PM
thanks for all your help by the way!!

illini
10-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Venison is deer.

Here is an online menu I found from April 07 (not sure the date on the Intercot one, so I found the most recent one I could). I believe they change it often, with some dishes remaining and some rotating. You'll see that only two items are seafood. My dad has had two different pasta dishes there (which is odd, because he really loves Scandinavian food) which he said were wonderful.

This is dinner. Lunch has a different menu.

Baked Salmon
topped with spicy mustard
with warm roasted red skin potatoes, baby watercress and an
apple, corn & bacon vinaigrette

Pasta Akershus
Pasta and sauteed garden vegetables
with a fresh herb, roasted garlic pesto
(topped with grilled chicken or salmon upon request)

Venison Stew
Venison braised with Sliced Vegetables
in a Lingonberry Demi-Glace, rutabaga mash and garnished with a Jarlsberg cheese cracker

Barbecue Short Ribs
topped with a lingonberry pepper jam,
served with BBQ sauce and Jarlsberg corn bread

Fresh Poached Cod
With seafood and shrimp medley, Julienne Vegetables and Horseradish Mashed Potatoes

Traditional Kjottkaker
with a cauliflower, cheese infused mashed potato,
seasonal vegetables and a red wine beet sauce.

Braised Lamb
Served with thyme oil-infused cabbage

illini
10-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Coming back to add that the Kjottkaker is actually quite good. Supposed to be Norweigan meatballs, but Akershus makes them more as a patty. Ground beef and pork, mixed with beets (which I don't like, but they're not strong in this), I believe shallots, and some other veg.

I believe this usually stays on the menu.

FriendsofMickey
10-12-2007, 09:47 AM
I would vote for 1900 Park Fare. I have done both. I did Arkershus for lunch and disliked the food (as did dh and both my girls).
I then tried it for breakfast last September. It again dissapointed, but then that is because I was expecting pancakes or french toast (I was told the breakfasts where all american food...not true). So, if your children will eat potatoes, eggs, bacon, then you would probably be good, but my girls did not eat a bite of it. I will say I thought the potatoes were fantastic, but when you are spending close to $100 you want to leave without needing to go somewhere else to eat.

As for 1900, we were there last year as well for dinner. I sat next to an excited guy who kept talking to me (I talk a lot too). I only had a salad and the strawberry soup (EXCELLENT). Then my one girl got sick, so before I got a bite of the food, we left. However, my husband thought it was good.

I am so happy I tried the soup before I left.

We are doing 1900 again this year. I will not go to Arkeshus again.
If you have picky eaters, I just would not do it. And if you do, and they will not eat anything, learn from me. Ask to talk with the chef, ask them to prepare you something else. Do NOT leave there hungry. I cannot see why they would turn down making you a pancake or something. I figure, if you had an allergy, they will do it.

momof3+twins
10-12-2007, 10:35 PM
First off, I want to thank everyone for being so nice and helpful. You guys are great!!!

And FriendsofMickey: you really told me what I have been thinking all along. The kids in this family are picky!!! And I am not picky, but I don't eat anything cute ( deer or lamb). And then my husband hates fish. So, I felt very limited on the menu. And I swear again that I am not picky, but I do like pancakes, waffles, adn french toast at Disney! Thanks, I think we will try 1900!!

kim1st
10-13-2007, 03:59 PM
We did CRT, 1900 Park Fare AND Akershus for dinner in the same trip...that I would NOT recommend.

Akershus was the best character experience. Cinderella was there (in fact - she was at ALL THREE dinners), but there were a bunch of other princesses as well. Once we got out of the dinner, the lines for things like Test Track were actually pretty light, which was a nice perk.

The dinner at CRT was nice - meet & greet with Cinderella downstairs and then kind of a low key song & dance by the Fairy Godmother and the Mice. The food was very good, and the photos were included in the meal price, which was a nice advantage over the others.

The buffet at 1900 Park Fare was great for the price. There were plenty of choices for the pickiest of eaters. It was nice to see both Cinderella and Prince Charming, although we were kind of done with the mice.

Best food selection - 1900 Park Fare
Best Variety of Characters - Akershus
Best overall experience - CRT

Have a fabulous time!!!

nicole48040
10-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Don't panic when you read venison. Venison can be better then any beef, depending on the recipe. Usually it is fantastic in stews and is much more "heart healthy" being that it is a much leaner meat. I was once intimidated by the fact that it was deer, but now that I have been educated on how to prepare it and it's benefits I would highly recommend it. :thumbsup:

Goes4FastPass
10-14-2007, 01:52 AM
We throughly enjoyed Akershus for dinner with our now 7 year old.

There's no reason to get freaked about the menu just because it isn't exactly like Denny's. We all, including the children, found things we liked.

When you read, "Koldbort" think "Salad Bar" where you'll find many choices including cold cuts, cheeses, fruit and shrimp.

And besides, with princesses whirling about do little girls ever eat much at a princess meal?

Akershus is a good value is a lovely setting.

PS: Our little gal LOVED Prince Charming at 1900PF. Cinderella Who?

KaylasGM
10-18-2007, 07:44 PM
This will be our first dining experience for Princess meals. So I can't rate the food, but before making our reservation choices, I stumbled on another website - allearsnet.com and they have a dining section which lists all of the meals at every restaurant at WDW. Getting into CGF for dinner was practically an everynight call for our trip this November. Making reservations for bkfst at the 1900 and the Princess Bkfst at the Akershus was pretty open.
princess:

heidi614
11-06-2007, 05:07 PM
I don't like fish either! Breakfast is the best, normal food! Adults can order from the kids menu for lunch/dinner, I ordered pasta with chicken, my dad who is very picky, found something too, plain chicken breast. The salad bar is very good (Normal)!!!:mickey:

Goes4FastPass
11-06-2007, 05:11 PM
... the best, normal food! ... The salad bar is very good (Normal)!!!:mickey:

What's normal? School cafeteria food...?

raider97
11-06-2007, 05:27 PM
We went had the Princess Character Breakfast in Norway. I picked breakfast because I too was worried about my husband and children's reaction to the menu. Breakfast was great. The food was good and the character interaction was good. We saw Belle in the lobby and then we also had Jasmine, Princess Aurora, Mulan, and Snow White. We will be doing this one for sure when we go back.

gerald72
11-06-2007, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE=jenny1976;1442508]Hey,
I have done both Akershus and Cinderella's Gala Feast at 1900 Park Fare. First off, you will not see Cinderella at Akershus,

We saw Cinderella at Akershus, along with Ariel, Aurora, and Jasmine.