PDA

View Full Version : Lesser height restriction with parent?

luvourtwo
10-09-2007, 12:09 PM
I have read the height restrictions for the MK rides. I so wanted my (will be) 4 year old twins to ride Splash mountain. They are now only 37" tall, and we are going in December. At our local Six Flags, we were pleased to find that lower heights were allowed if riding with an adult. Any such luck for Splash Mountain?

WDWfanatic742
10-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Nope, if you don't meet the height requirement, with or without an adult riding with you, you cannot ride. Most of the time, this is for safety reasons.

#1donaldfan
10-09-2007, 12:40 PM
I don't think so.....too much liability.......sorry.

bleukarma
10-09-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm surprised that Six Flags does it since the height restrictions are on their for safety reasons. Disney does not.

KylesMom
10-09-2007, 01:10 PM
As others have posted, no quarter is given at Disney to children who do not meet the height requirement, whether their parents ride with them or not. On several of the larger attractions, they will check and re-check the height to ensure safety protocol is followed.

There's always next trip! :mickey:

d_m_n_n
10-09-2007, 01:27 PM
I know what you mean. At our local zoo there is a smaller coaster that has 2 sets of height restrictions (one with an adult and one without).

They are pretty tough at WDW. In 2005 DS4(at the time) was exactly 40" and they measured him and measured him with his Mickey ears and without his Mickey ears.

***Wouldn't it be cool if they could give color coded wristbands that show you've been measured for such and such height to move things along a little quicker.

laward32
10-09-2007, 01:42 PM
No, they do not budge. It's for safety reasons and even with you right next to your child you can't always protect her. We went in Dec and my daughter was 40 inches and rode ToT,BTMRR, TT, & Dinosaur, but when we went to measure for SpMt we were turned away because she did not rub the bottom of the stick. They did give us a card for when we go back, I thought it took us to the front of the line, but when I got it out for our trip in 16 days, I don't think it does.:mickey:

Jasper
10-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Add me to the list of those who are surpised to hear that there are different rules for riding with and without parents at any amusement park. Don't get me wrong, I am not an expert on the subject but I do know that the people who create the rides use various scientific and mathmatical formulas to determine the "safe" height on any ride they create. Having a parent along doesn't do much to change the dynamics of the ride because the forces are often more than any person can overcome to hang onto their child.
Just my two cents worth.

Laura670
10-09-2007, 01:45 PM
I can tell you for a fact they won't budge on their height restrictions. When we were there in Dec 05 my DD was a half inch too short to ride the Rockin rollercoaster and they would not let her ride. You do have to look at it though it's for your kids own safety

bcornette
10-09-2007, 02:16 PM
We just got back and my DD is exactly 40in. Riding Soarin was a huge hassle for everyone behind us. They measured her 3 times each time we rode it. The color coded wristbands would be very nice. Since she is exactly 40in I had to make sure her feet were together and she was standing up straight each time or she wouldn't have made it.
I totally understand the reasoning but would like wristbands or handstamps for one time measurements.

Imagineer1981
10-09-2007, 02:38 PM
sorry, no luck there, disney is very strict with the heights, its for the childs safety

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-09-2007, 02:43 PM
We had a similar issue with DD on our first trip, she was tall enough for some rides, and not for others, even though it was all supposed to be the same height! It was more than a little hard trying to explain it to her.

I would love a wristband policy, they could give at the first ride...if you pass you get a wristband, otherwise they have to measure you at every ride...still, I understand that her safety is most important, and wouldn't ever want her hurt for the sake of a ride.

luvourtwo
10-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Thank you for the responses.

I certainly would not want to place my children at risk. After hearing recent news about Six Flags ride accidents, I am looking forward to being on Disney Rides. I trust the name Disney, and just feel like they probably have higher standards regarding safety.

I recall the Splash Mountain ride being like a log flume where the general safety concern is keeping seated. That is why I had hoped that they might have signs posted that said "Minimum height without adult = 40", minimum height with adult = 36".

Oh well, we will just have to visit again when the kids are taller...

KylesMom
10-09-2007, 05:11 PM
I recall the Splash Mountain ride being like a log flume where the general safety concern is keeping seated.

Although it is a flume ride and keeping seated is of the utmost concern due to unexpected drops and dark scenery, the attraction culminates in a straight down five-story drop. There are no lap belts on this ride. I have to stop myself from putting my arm in front of my son(who's now 9) every time we go down Chick-a-Pin Hill (and he's almost 54")! :blush: I also think that this is one of two rides at Magic Kingdom that Disney considers "Big Thrills" :D

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-09-2007, 05:33 PM
The problem with the wristbands is that a lot of times, I've seen operators let children go who were shorter just because they didn't want to get yelled at by the parents. So if they gave the band and the child was under the height requirement, then it would create a problem for all other operators who have do check afterwards.

That is actually why they check at every ride is because not all the CM's do their job properly and feel that it's too much of a hassle to deal with screaming parents who are upset their child is too short. Sadly, a common train of thought for a lot of CM's is "I don't get paid enough to deal with this....." and they let it slide when they should be enforcing policies.

mermaidmarian
10-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Although it is a flume ride and keeping seated is of the utmost concern due to unexpected drops and dark scenery, the attraction culminates in a straight down five-story drop. There are no lap belts on this ride. I have to stop myself from putting my arm in front of my son(who's now 9) every time we go down Chick-a-Pin Hill (and he's almost 54")! :blush: I also think that this is one of two rides at Magic Kingdom that Disney considers "Big Thrills" :D

I still do this too with my DS, also 9. When he was younger, DH and I would ride with him in the middle and each have a leg crossing over his. Overkill, I know, but I have always wished that there was some kind of lap belt on this ride, if only just for my peace of mind.

TheDuckRocks
10-10-2007, 10:43 AM
***Wouldn't it be cool if they could give color coded wristbands that show you've been measured for such and such height to move things along a little quicker.

5 years ago when we took our grandkids to Disney's California Adventure Park in Anaheim they did indeed issue color coded wristbands for the kids. I don't know if they still do it. The bands fit snugly and even with the color coding at the entry to each ride the CMs still double checked the bands and I even saw some kids being remeasured.
The interesting thing was that Disneyland right across the central ticket area from Cal Adventure wasn't using the wristbands.:confused:

momef3grls
10-10-2007, 12:27 PM
On ToT my 13yo dd. She is plenty tall enough 5'4 but she weighs about 90lbs soaking wet. She always in her terms "gets air" and it still freaks me out to the point that I try to hold her down. Mom is always trying to protect even when they don't want it:blush:.

mudpuppysmom
10-10-2007, 01:39 PM
DS has TRIED to talk CM's into letting him on Primeval Hurl, I mean Whirl......each time we go he stands next to the stick and each time he still is not tall enough........much to my dismay, he was measured recently at the dr.'s office and he is now 48" tall....when the doc said that one outloud DS said, now I'm tall enough for ALL the rides at Disney World mumma!!

DisneyDudet
10-10-2007, 08:41 PM
5 years ago when we took our grandkids to Disney's California Adventure Park in Anaheim they did indeed issue color coded wristbands for the kids. I don't know if they still do it. The bands fit snugly and even with the color coding at the entry to each ride the CMs still double checked the bands and I even saw some kids being remeasured.
The interesting thing was that Disneyland right across the central ticket area from Cal Adventure wasn't using the wristbands.:confused:

That was probably a test to see if the system would work, and to hopefully incorporate it in the other parks.

Doesn't look like it worked out too well...

You know, I'm 5'2" and those height restrictions make it look like I should be measured!

It is a safety issue, and it could help with attempting the children are mature enough for the ride, rules, and safety restraints.

BronxTigger
10-10-2007, 09:21 PM
I think I read somewhere that the Speeday at Tomorrowland had two height restrictions; one for with parent and another for driving solo. Does anyone know anything about this? I think it's the only ride at Disney that has 2 heights, if that is even correct.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
10-11-2007, 08:56 AM
I think I read somewhere that the Speeday at Tomorrowland had two height restrictions; one for with parent and another for driving solo. Does anyone know anything about this? I think it's the only ride at Disney that has 2 heights, if that is even correct.

Yes, that is true. My oldest DS has been able to drive alone for two years now. My younger son was finally able to this past trip. I think the height was 52" to drive alone.
Whatever it is he made it for the first time and was thrilled!
My DD 4 obviously had to drive with a parent.
In this situtation I agree with the different height restriction. My DS was more than ready to drive this year.

:car:

McGoofy
10-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Aside from whether or not 36 inches is tall enough to ride Splash Mountain with an adult, are there actually any children that are only 40 inches tall that would be riding without an adult?

My son is tall for his age. Splash Mountain was actually his first thrill ride at 3 1/2 years old. Although, he met the height requirement, I can guarantee you that he would have not been riding alone. I think at 40 inches it is assumed that there will be an adult accompanying the child. Therefore, there are no exceptions to the height requirement if the child is with an adult. It's purely for the child's safety.

I also agree with the need to implement some sort of wrist band system for height. It would be nice if it was done somewhere near the main entrance at each park. You could get the color coded band based on your child's height at an official measuring spot. Then nobody would have to hold a line up by getting their child measured. Also, there would not be the inconsistency of the same child measuring a different height at each ride if he doesn't stand the exact same way each time.

P.S. Think of this as an excuse to go back to WDW when the kids are just a little bit bigger!!!

DisneyDudet
10-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Aside from whether or not 36 inches is tall enough to ride Splash Mountain with an adult, are there actually any children that are only 40 inches tall that would be riding without an adult?

You just made an extremely valid point!

Thats really all I have to say. I already made my points earlier!

bcornette
10-11-2007, 10:19 AM
There are some adults that are not 40in tall. So lets not asume that because you are under 40in that you are a child.

McGoofy
10-11-2007, 11:32 AM
There are some adults that are not 40in tall. So lets not asume that because you are under 40in that you are a child.

So then are you saying that the 40 inch adult should be accompanied by an adult in order to ride? :D We were specifically talking about children being an exception to the height restriction when accompanied by a parent. My point was that most CHILDREN that are only 40 inches tall are also very young and would be accompanied by a parent anyway.

tyandskyesmom
10-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Unfortunately though, we all know that there are "parents" ou there (not here on INTERCOT) that would put their 36 inch tall (or whatever height) child on a ride and go wait at the end.

Ty is past the height limits on mos tthings at Disney but at 3 1/2 years old, Skye just hit 36 inches...she's tiny! She was very dissapointed at not being able to ride BTMRR last time (she even made us measure her even though we knew she would not make it anywhere near getting on!) but then she was sooooo excited when she just made it for the Barnstormer! She does not like waiting for her brother on things but we always either bring somethign for her to do while waiting or we go find something...in fact, last time while Daddy and Tyler were riding BTMRR she got to see Wendy and Peter Pan and grab some gummy Mickey heads and a spot for the parade...she was very excited to tell Tyler what she did while he was riding!

It's just not her time yet...she'll get there and then Lou will have a roller coaster junkie to ride with him...Tyler is a bit more on the "mommy side"!!!

bcornette
10-11-2007, 12:13 PM
What I am saying is that, in the post people are only referring to children not being 40in to ride and that a 36in ride with parent may be acceptable. Your point of a 40in child should have an adult with them is a little insensitive to little people. I have a friend that is 17 (not a child or an adult) but is only 38in tall and done growing.
Maybe I'm a little sensitive to the subject of height because of it. If we are all saying that the 40in for Splash Mountain isn't a true needs to be 40in for safety, and more of a scared\ maturity (don't stand up or get out of the ride) factor, where do you draw the line.

DisneyTwinsMommy
10-11-2007, 12:22 PM
I live very near Hershey Park in Hershey, PA... They do a "hand stamp" system (the same idea of a wristband system)... You have to go to a special ride operations booth, they get "officially" measured, then stamped with the appropriate stamp... I would imagine it would be beneficial to both children who have to get measured every time, and CM's who would no longer have to deal with angry parents... whatever color the wristband (or stamp) says, that is what you are eligible to ride... i think it is a good idea, we only had to get my niece measured once... :thumbsup:

McGoofy
10-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Your point of a 40in child should have an adult with them is a little insensitive to little people.

Are you seriously kidding me?? Have you seen my picture in my avatar? Do you see the 7 year old (at that time) standing beside me? He is almost as tall as me. Being insensitive to little people is the last thing that I would ever be as I have been teased my entire life. I'm just saying here...the height restriction is for a reason...SAFETY FIRST!!!!!

TBY2225
10-11-2007, 04:39 PM
I agree that the restrictions are for a reason. I had a friend, who fully grown, didn't quite meet height restrictions. Sometimes she was allowed to ride ride rides at amusement parks when she wasn't quite tall enough. She had trouble with some of them, especially roller coasters or rides with big drops.
I know Disney would not have them there if they didn't see a need. I am sure they do numorous test to make sure that all visitors are safe. Yes, it is sad when the kids or adults can't ride, but usually it isn't an issue of being scared or not being able to handle a ride. It is for the safety of those and those around you. Please follow the rules. This sets a good example for everyone.

sainter
10-11-2007, 05:03 PM
I love the idea of a central measuring place and colorcoded wristbands! At the entrance to every ride there would be a sign that showed which color(s) are allowed. What a time saver!! And no one in line, nor the CM would have to listen to parents who would otherwise hassle them!!

Mufasa
10-11-2007, 06:26 PM
In looking at the safety statistics that are tracked for amusement park accidents industry wide- injuries resulting from guests standing up or jumping or falling from an attraction while it is in motion are restricted mostly to children from ages 2 to 5.

So age does become a factor when determining height requirements but it is not the only criteria.

Setting a height requirement to be a minimum of 40 inches for boys and girls in the US based on CDC growth chart data from the year 2000 means that almost 95% will meet a minimum height of 40 inches at age 5 (where only about 5% of boys at age 3 will meet 40 inches or the median age is at age 4).

44 inch height requirements moves that 95% age up to 7 years (the median being between 5 and 6 years old) and a 48 inch requirement moves the 95% bar to 9 years old (median at 7 years)- this is all looking at height data alone.

Weight can also be a factor and plays into the design of restraint systems accordingly.

In the case of log flume style rides in the amusement industry- injuries tend to peak up to age 5. One commonly cited reason for this is that riders need to be able to sufficiently physically brace themselves for drops and also be mentally prepared and anticipate those drops.

Also, in regards to a centralized height measurement system- I've posted about this topic before (search for Goofy's Magic Measure if you're interested). Disney has a system (US Patent 6982929) that we briefly tested at the Disneyland Resort to come up with a standardized system for height measurement and issuing of color coded wristbands for guest convenience as well as being clear for guests about what attractions their child would be able to ride by matching the color with warning signs outside of the attraction.

The system did offer repeatability (precise measurements)- but they were prone to being thrown off by operator error. (precision is not the same as accuracy). The CM basically would place a paddle on top of the child's head and a measuring device (could be ultrasonic, or laser) would measure and time the reflection of whatever beam and calculate a height from there.

What was nice about the system is that it removes the CM directly from being responsible for the measurement. It instead placed the decision on the technology rather than a CM's eyeball measurement but still was challenged by upset guests not convinced with the system's measurement.

Also, some guests unfortunately tried to abuse the system and take the wristband from an older child and place it on a younger one so it didn't completely remove the need to have height checks at individual attractions (though those same guests complained about having their child be checked again at the attraction even though the CM's have the final discretion to allow a guest to board or deny boarding for their safety)

TheRustyScupper
10-12-2007, 11:48 AM
In my former career, I designed rides and restraints.
In fact, I have been part of 7-out-of-10 of ACE's top coasters.

Restraint-system design is part of the age-height discussion. But, an underlying reason is body physiology. Rides have MANY different types of forces applied to the body. Young bodies can easily handle some force types and force magnitudes, but have difficulty with others.* Restraints can be very flexible in design and can hold many different body types and sizes. Forces to the body are not flexible, but are predictable as functions/results of physics.

Most rides are designed for 3x safety limits. But, you have to set a minimum, somewhere. So, the ride has a preset assumption that (let's say) a 40" tall child has "X" body-age development and physiology, which is safe for the predictable forces.

* As examples of force and body physiology:
(a) Ballet teachers do not allow little girls to dance on their toes in ballet class. While young, they do jazz, then eventually progress to "en pointe" as they grow older. Young ankles/feet could not take the forces of dancing in pointe shoes and rising to the tips of toes.

(b) Many Little League Minor Leagues do not allow young pitchers to throw curve balls, because the wrist-elbow-shoulder joints-muscles-ligaments are not developed enough to withstand the forces of the violent wrist movement.

Laura670
10-12-2007, 12:12 PM
I think some of you are taking this way too far....the original post was just a simple question asking Disney's policy on wether the height restrictions were different if the child rode with an adult. I don't think she was trying to circumvent the system or anything she just wanted to be prepared. I've noticed this alot on here lately...makes me a little nervous to ask anything LOL

Mufasa
10-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Restraint-system design is part of the age-height discussion. But, an underlying reason is body physiology. Rides have MANY different types of forces applied to the body. Young bodies can easily handle some force types and force magnitudes, but have difficulty with others.*

Excellent examples you gave to illustrate the point of how importantly child physiology plays into the discussion.

Going back to the OP's question and example of Six Flags allowing for a lower height requirement with adult supervision, I don't believe that applies to all Six Flags parks as it still falls under local regulation.

In New Jersey after lobbying the state amusement operators were able to create an "Accompanied Rider" rule which allows for them to disregard the manufacturer's suggested ride height minimum as long as the undersized guest is accompanied by a rider who meets the height requirement.

LibertyTreeGal
10-12-2007, 02:39 PM
I was recently at DCA and they didn't even allow kids under 7 to ride alone (even together -- they are twins as well) on any questionable ride without an adult in the ride with them. So it isn't a matter of riding with them making it okay, they won't allow them to ride alone at all!

Truly, the reason for the child not being able to go on the ride is generally because their bodies are not big enough to take the abuse unless they are that tall. In my case in 2006 I had one twin tall enough for Space Mountain and the other one wasn't. Same age, but it didn't matter.