PDA

View Full Version : Visiting the resorts just to look around???

ldc12377
10-09-2007, 10:15 AM
We are driving to Florida from Indiana on our trip next week. Our first day in the Orlando area we are staying in an off-site resort. We will arrive late in the afternoon and didn't want to waste a ticket or room by going straight to Disney. Now here is my question: Can we go to some of the resorts on-site just to look around? What do we tell the security guards at the gates? We wanted to see the monorail resorts, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Boardwalk and Beach Club. Will we be allowed in without a resort reservation or a dining reservation for those places?

ibrowse17
10-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Before we had AP's, we always started a trip with a tour of the monorail reasorts and WL rather than use part of our ticket. We never have had a problem visiting other resorts either. When a guard asked, we just told them we were coming for a visit because we were thinking of staying there. On our last trip, we drove over to POFQ for a look and liked it so much we decided to stay there for our Christmas trip:thumbsup:

GrumpyFan
10-09-2007, 11:55 AM
We've done this before, and didn't have any problems. Unless they are at full capacity and short on parking, there usually isn't a problem with visiting a resort. Just tell the guard you would like to look around and are considering staying there on your next trip. They should give you a temporary parking permit good for about 3 hours.

slegrant
10-09-2007, 12:06 PM
We have only had trouble during the holidays, It is always a tradition for us to visit the Contemporary and ride the monorail to each resort when we first get there. Have a great time.

noahdove
10-09-2007, 08:47 PM
How else will you be able to check the places you may want to stay??? Disney thinks this is a great way to draw people to them. I stayed off property several times, but no more..I would rather leave the driving up to the people who do it daily and I don't have to worry about traffic, finding the car late at night, paying to park, etc...go check the resorts and decide the best one. I still have a favorite and I have never stayed there and it's the Polynesia...it is beautiful:mickey:
Enjoy your visit...:cloud9:

TammiMcMan
10-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Disney would love to have you visit their resorts, however so many people tried to beat the system by parking at resorts close to the parks, security has become a little more dilligent. In most cases, you will be given a 3 hour pass to park. Sometimes they do lock it down more and only allow guests with ADR's to park. Sounds like you may be going at a slower time, so you'll probably be fine. Worst case, you can pay for valet parking, which is usually never full.

TammiMcMan
10-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Disney would love to have you visit their resorts, however so many people tried to beat the system by parking at resorts close to the parks, security has become a little more dilligent. In most cases, you will be given a 3 hour pass to park. Sometimes they do lock it down more and only allow guests with ADR's to park. Sounds like you may be going at a slower time, so you'll probably be fine. Worst case, you can pay for valet parking, which is usually never full.

martinfamily5
10-10-2007, 11:33 AM
We have done this and that is how we have decided on some of the resorts that we have stayed in.

When are you guys going to be there? We will be there from Oct. 19- 27.

We are (as you can see) from Martinsville, IN. Where in Indiana are you from?

ldc12377
10-11-2007, 11:29 AM
When are you guys going to be there? We will be there from Oct. 19- 27.

We are (as you can see) from Martinsville, IN. Where in Indiana are you from?

We will be there from Oct. 13-18. We have to be back for the State Marching Band Finals in Indy on Sat. so we will be going right through your neck of the woods...we are hoping that my niece's band will make state. She marches with the Proud of Paoli!!
My kids and I are from Loogootee, IN but my mom who is also going with us is from Paoli, IN.

GrmGrninGost
10-11-2007, 08:25 PM
I love to do that! It's so much fun! I especially like to visit the resorts when they're decorated for Christmas! :mickey:

Sweezy
10-11-2007, 10:38 PM
we still visit the resorts all the time, especially the monorail locations before/after mvmcp...typically the only possible trouble spot is Grand Floridian, where we either say we have a dinner res or actually make a dinner reservation bc they sometimes check the list.

DISNEYPRINCESS74
10-12-2007, 11:36 PM
i have never at wdw during christmas, i wanted to know just how crowded is it im planning to go from dec 22 thru january 3rd, i need tips on how to make the most of my time there since i heard is wall to wall people:confused:

dmosher
10-13-2007, 06:07 AM
Not only is this a great way to see where you may want to stay next but it is also a great way to spend an "away day". My wife and I take a day or 2 away from the parks and jump from resort to resort, checking out old favorites, or looking at new ones and renovations.

It is a lot of fun and is a cheap way to spend a relaxing time away from the stress of the parks, but never having to leave the "Disney Magic".

Darren
:mickey: