PDA

View Full Version : Kona Cafe MENU CHANGES 10/7

Natazu
10-09-2007, 04:17 AM
Hello all. Kona Café made changes yesterday their lunch and dinner selections. Sorry I couldn't get them up right away. I was on the road and didn't want to post them early. Below are the modifications and a little review of the ones I've been able to sample.

Lunch Changes

GONE:
Creamy Kona Seafood Chowder
Chicken or Shrimp Caesar Salad
Barbecued Pork Sandwich
Open-faced Salmon BLT
Apple Brown Betty

Changed:
Kilauea Torte: the new torte is the same warm chocolate liquid on the inside but the torte is more like a cookie-brownie-cake-like thing with chocolate chunks. Oh, at the moment, it no longer comes with ice cream but I think after some input, that will change.

NEW:
Braised Pork Belly Salad – Pork Belly Braised in Dashi served on a bed of Bibb Lettuce and Pomegranate Vinaigrette - $8.99
---very lean, cooked to perfection, tender and juicy. The pomegranate sauce is a plus, brilliantly complementing the flavor of the pork. Give this one a try (don’t skip the Pot Stickers though)

Shrimp and Coconut Curry Soup - $6.99
---The shrimp is plump and tender but as a whole, not a winning combination of flavors. The coconut and the curry wrestle in a veil attempt to anchor the dish. Not for me.

Bamboo Steamed Ono served on Watercress Salad with warm Shiitake-Soy Vinaigrette and Sticky Rice $16.99

Barbecued Pork Lettuce Wraps – Pulled Pork and Sautéed Onions with an Asian Barbecue Sauce served with Bibb Lettuce and Asian Slaw – $11.99
----This is very good, no fat, large enough to share and has a great flavor with a little bite – use the cool slaw to take off the spice. Good Job Kona Chef

Dinner Changes
As with lunch, The seafood chowder is gone from the dinner menu also.
The Braised Pork Belly Salad is here to stay, though

Entrees:
GONE: Macadamia Mahi-Mahi
GONE: Herb Roasted Turkey Medallions
GONE: Vegetable Rice Bowl

NEW:
Pomegranate Barbecued Pork Chop: served on a Pan-roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Applewood Smoked Bacon Braised Swiss Chard – 21.99

Tuna Oscar: served with Fried Green Tomatoes Tempura-fried Jumbo Lump Crab and Wasabi Hollandaise - $21.99

Bamboo Steamed Ono served on Watercress Salad with warm Shiitake-Soy Vinaigrette and Sticky Rice $20.99
Same dessert changes as lunch (above)

I'll get the other new items reviewed in a week or so.

SBETigg
10-09-2007, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the update, Jym. I hope you're having a great time in WDW!

DisneyorBust
10-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Another ''Thank You!" as we will be dining at Kona's in December your update is greatly appreciated!

Jeff
10-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the update. I will miss the Salmon BLT - it was a favorite!:(

Guess I'll branch out and try something new in Dec. Maybe the Barbecued Pork Lettuce Wraps that you recommend. It does sound good.

Lessie
10-09-2007, 08:51 AM
The lettuce wraps and the ono sound great! I may have to rethink my decision to skip Kona on my next trip!

TBY2225
10-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Oh No! The Mahi-Mahi was my favorite dish in all of WDW! I am so glad I was able to have it one last time 2 weeks ago!

January-2007
10-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the update.

Samtastic
10-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Oh no!! The only reason we were going to go to Kona was the Mahi Mahi! Now I need to rethink my ADR!

Belle_0717
10-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Not my MAHI-MAHI!! I have only had it twice in the last year but I miss it already. We went to Kona for our anniversary last year and revisited in May again. We were putting it on our list for next week - WHY??? Did they kill off the corn & edamame succatash too???

Mary Poppins fan
10-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Dang, the pulled pork sandwich and the caesar salads were family favorites (DH loved the Mahi Mahi as well!)

KarenP
10-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Yum! The Braised Pork Belly Salad, Barbecued Pork Lettuce Wraps and Pomegranate Barbecued Pork Chop all sound very good. Thanks for updating us, Jym!

Natazu
10-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Did they kill off the corn & edamame succatash too???I'll have my people look into that.

MinnieMommie
10-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Thanks Jym. I look forward to reading your review of the new dishes. :mickey:

pogo
10-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks Jym.

It is so good to know that you and Rachel will personally check out each and every great place to eat at WDW and provide us with all the details, good or bad.:blush:

Patti and I will be planning our ADR's for our next trip based on your recommendations.

Are you dining at Pucks this trip ? :D

Polynesian Dweller
10-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Thank you very much. Timely. We're going to be there week from Friday so nice to know what to expect.:mickey:

Fangorn
10-09-2007, 11:19 PM
We were there about a week ago and everything seemed just a bit different (better), but it could've just been me. So, with all these changes, is there a new chef at the Polynesian? Just wondering.

Steve

Natazu
10-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Patti and I will be planning our ADR's for our next trip based on your recommendations.Plan on Il Mulino. Review (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=117852) here.

Are you dining at Pucks this trip ? :D
Yes. He says there's something special on the menu that night.

Natazu
10-09-2007, 11:41 PM
We were there about a week ago and everything seemed just a bit different (better), but it could've just been me. So, with all these changes, is there a new chef at the Polynesian? Just wondering.

SteveNo, just the new fall season.

illini
10-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Hellllllo, Tuna Oscar. How yummy does that sound?

DH will be disappointed at the Mahi Mahi. But I figure if I don't mention that it's dropped, he won't remember when we get there. He'll just wonder what it was that had him so enticed when I read him the menu. :secret:

Thanks for the scoop!

ILoveLegos
10-10-2007, 05:07 PM
We were at Kona 10/2/07 and the chef special was the "Pomegranate Barbecued Pork Chop: served on a Pan-roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Applewood Smoked Bacon Braised Swiss Chard – 21.99
". It was our first time there and our hearts were set on the Mahi-Mahi, so that's what we ordered. It was oh so good!

mickey-mouse35
10-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Thanks, Jym. Disappointed about the Mahi Mahi but as long as the crab cakes and pot stickers remain intact, I'm still there. So is the new torte any good? Going in two weeks!

Jared
10-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the updates, Jym. Looking forward to meeting you this weekend!

I have the same question as the previous poster: How is the new torte?

Natazu
10-11-2007, 12:26 AM
The new version of the torte is ok. The cake is really more than the chocolate sauce can support. The old one was better.

Jared
10-11-2007, 12:27 AM
The new version of the torte is ok. The cake is really more than the chocolate sauce can support. The old one was better.
Disappointing.

We're checking into our room at Old Key West tomorrow!

:D

Natazu
10-11-2007, 12:38 AM
Disappointing.

We're checking into our room at Old Key West tomorrow!

:D
AWESOME! It'll be great to have you as a neighbor. We're in building 54.