PDA

View Full Version : AAARGGGH.. Help !

tundramom
10-08-2007, 10:33 PM
We leave Fri.:clappy::yay:And my DS-I-L calls tonight to tell us she injured her knee at work. She's on crutches, in a knee immobilizer and in quite a bit of pain. I think she's going to have to use an ECV. I also told her she needs to get one from an outside rental co. so she doesn't have to walk to the busses. Does anyone have referrals? and once we get it, how do we store it at night? We'll be in a 2 BR at SSR. Thanks for any help !

WDW Dreamer
10-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Yes! Check out Info Central on Intercot and look under Wheelchair & ECV Rentals. There are a few contacts and phone numbers there. Hope this helps! Good Luck!

GrumpyFan
10-08-2007, 11:15 PM
InfoCentral -
Wheelchair and ECV Rentals (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/specialneeds/default.asp)

McCloytrio
10-08-2007, 11:37 PM
I've got a severe back injury (slipped & broken discs) and I can't always walk for long periods of time. I've rented from Care Medical twice and they deliver to the resort in the morning of your arrival and will pick it up either the morning that you check out or the day after. I would park it in our room next to the table and charge it all night. I never needed to recharge during the day; but always brought the charger wires with me just in case. Since you aren't supposed to get them wet; during those days with a downpour, I got large bags from the shops and slipped one bag over the back of the seat, one on the seat so my bottom wouldn't get soaked, I put small bags over the arm rests so they wouldn't get ruined, I'd cover the basket & all of my stuff with another bag and then put a rain poncho over me & the ecv and I was ready to go. I kept a fresh supply of bags in a small bag in the back pocket of the seat so I was always prepared.
Since I can walk I was able to let the bus driver put it on the bus for me & I could walk on. Backing onto a bus when you can't turn around to look behind you is quite difficult. They should allow you to drive it on and then get off of it.

Good luck and I hope her knee is better soon.

http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

tundramom
10-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks guys, good tips on the bag usage. I never even thought about recharging:doh: We are planning on DD sleeping in the couch pullout in the LR area, will there be enough room to park the ECV with that out?

McCloytrio
10-08-2007, 11:49 PM
I would think it would fit even with her on a sofa, you usually charge it overnight; so everyone will be asleep anyway. If not, you can re arrange a table or move some chairs to fit it in an area to charge it. If there isn't any room, call the front desk and I'm sure they can charge it somewhere for her.

mrsgaribaldi
10-09-2007, 01:33 AM
Sorry to hear about her injury. I hope she's feeling better very soon. :pixie::pixie::pixie:

LibertyTreeGal
10-09-2007, 06:54 AM
Hope she's doing well -- I'm sure you'll have a great time.

I went right after I dislocated three ribs -- make sure you keep her off of rides that have a lot of back and forth motion, ie. Dinosaur, Star Tours, BTMRR, etc... because the constant jarring on her knee will be murder. However, there's still lots and lots to enjoy.

Married-2-WDW-nut
10-09-2007, 07:59 AM
My daughter needs an operation on her foot - but wanted to wait until AFTER our upcoming visit. However, we may need a wheelchair - but as we are at WDW for 15 days - I'm wondering if it will be better/cheaper to buy one. And where would we get one from? :confused:

P.S. we're travelling from UK so cant bring one with us

Kenny1113
10-09-2007, 10:08 AM
My sis just had sx on her hip and will rent a wc at WDW (i think she said $10). IMHO I think renting @ WDW would be easier b/c then you don't have to worry about trying to get on the buses and storing in rm.

DizNee143
10-09-2007, 10:32 AM
i cant help you out with the EVC thing..but when you get to the resort i would try asking for a room on the first floor..explain to them what happened..and see what they can do..it would be that much easier for her...although i havent been to the SSR yet so i dont know how its all set up and what not..but just figured it would be a good suggestion..:mickey:

TheDuckRocks
10-09-2007, 11:14 AM
My daughter needs an operation on her foot - but wanted to wait until AFTER our upcoming visit. However, we may need a wheelchair - but as we are at WDW for 15 days - I'm wondering if it will be better/cheaper to buy one. And where would we get one from? :confused:

P.S. we're travelling from UK so cant bring one with us

The resorts have a minimal amount of wheelchairs that can be used for your entire stay for free with a refundable deposit.
You could also Google "Orlando wheelchair rentals" and look at their websites as rental companies often also do sales.
On the sales issue you could try Walgreens or Sam's Club on the internet and see if delivery to the resort would be possible. They might be cheaper than a medical supply place.
One thing I would also think about on a visit for as long as you are going to be there is that someone will have to push your DD around. That can be very exhausting. An ECV might be a better choice.

Marilyn Michetti
10-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Backing onto a bus when you can't turn around to look behind you is quite difficult. They should allow you to drive it on and then get off of it.

By law, the driver's aren't supposed to let you sit in the ECV while the bus is moving. They do offer to let you, and then they strap you in with a belt, but if you fall out, you and someone else could get hurt. Mine broke loose once, but I wasn't in it.:confused: