PDA

View Full Version : MGM Studios called today...

kakn7294
10-08-2007, 07:57 PM
I just wanted to let all my fellow Intercotees know that our opinions do matter to Disney. Inspired by a fellow Intercotee, I sent an e-mail to Disney about a month ago complaining about the changes to the dining plan for 2008. In my e-mail, I complained that even though they are stating that they are all about healthier eating, they are missing the boat on the dining plan by still offering dessert at both CS and TS meals rather than giving people the option of possibly choosing a healthier appetizer over dessert. I also complained that the tip is no longer included and that removes a great deal of the value for my family and we will probably no longer purchase the dining plan as it stands for 2008. Tonight, a Disney executive called - it came up as MGM Studios on the caller ID - to tell me that my complaint has reached the executive offices and is being taken into consideration for future changes to the dining plan. The last time I complained, they made a complete overhaul of the Lightning and Mater meet 'n greet (they called me then too for more information on my complaint). While I'm sure it takes far more than I person's complaints to evoke a change, it does go to show that if enough of us voice our opinions, they do listen and we can sometimes make a difference.

tinksmom02
10-08-2007, 10:44 PM
Oh, don't be modest, Kathy, you know that Disney's afraid to make a move without checking with you first LOL JK

Seriously, I'm glad that you're getting response from your emails. Sounds like they're getting a lost of resonse to the changes to the DDP, maybe there's hope yet...doubtful...

I need to go hunt down that email addy right now, I have a minor complaint to make...

DizneyRox
10-08-2007, 10:46 PM
So, what changes are they making?

I'm not so sure I would compare the two. One sounds like it is/was a safety issue and liability is always high on Disney's list of things to minimize.

Your recent issue however is about value, and Disney is trying to minimize value and maximize profits. I'm not so sure they will make any significant changes. I wouldn't be surprised if they allowed a choice between app or dessert and then changed the apps to reflect less value.

In general, Desserts are very cheap, which is why you are seeing that as the option. If they add back in appetizers, I think Disney will see a decrease in profits, which is going the wrong way. If people really want an appetizer, they will pay OOP for it.

Another thing to think about is, if they allow some people to pick app, and some to pick a dessert, you will actually extend your stay in the restaurant. With you taking more time to eat your meal, they can't pump through another set of guests. So, throughput of the restaurants slows by allowing that choice. Again, less people means less profits, and like I said, that's going in the wrong direction.

kakn7294
10-08-2007, 11:38 PM
So, what changes are they making?

I'm not so sure I would compare the two. One sounds like it is/was a safety issue and liability is always high on Disney' list of things to minimize.

Your recent issue however is about value, and Disney is trying to minimize value and maximize profits. I'm not so sure they will make any significant changes. I wouldn't be surprised if they allowed a choice between app or dessert and then changes the apps to reflect less value.

In general, Desserts are very cheap, which is why you are seeing that as the option. If they add back in appetizers, I think Disney will see a decrease in profits, which is going the wrong way. If people really want an appetizer, they will pay OOP for it.

Another thing to think about is, if they allow ome people to pick app, and some to pick a dessert, you will actually extend your stay in the restaurant. With you taking more time to eat your meal, they can't pump through another set of guests. So, throughput of the restaurants slows by allowing that choice. Again, less people means less profits, and like I said, that's going in the wrong direction.I didn't say they ARE making any changes other than what they have already done. What I said is that they will consider guest comments for possible future changes. Whether they come about or not is of course a matter of money. The point I was trying to make is that if enough of us complain, change can be made. If I and all of my fellow Intercotees say to Disney that we refuse to purchase the dining plan due to the lack of value it now provides and we stop eating so many TS meals (as my family will without the dining plan), they are going to see the change to their bottom line and their profits and maybe take into consideration the things guests have complained about to make additional changes. At the very least, the phone call shows that they do listen - it's been a month or so and they didn't have to contact me back at all.

DizneyRox
10-09-2007, 07:38 AM
... If I and all of my fellow Intercotees say to Disney that we refuse to purchase the dining plan due to the lack of value it now provides and we stop eating so many TS meals (as my family will without the dining plan), they are going to see the change to their bottom line and their profits and maybe take into consideration the things guests have complained about to make additional changes. ...
Actually, if we SAY we won't purchase the dining plan AND we DO NOT purchase the dining plan, then they might think about changes or even removal of the dining plan (we can hope they remove it all together).

If people complain and don't speak with their wallet, then no changes will be made.

The DDP was a perceived great value and word of mouth spread like wild fire. You can bet a lot of people are still assuming it's a great value and will blindly opt into the plan without knowing about the changes. I'm going to guess it's going to take months or even another year before reality sets in and people figure out what this really means.

Terra
10-09-2007, 07:46 AM
I agree Kathy! They do at least listen!

And hey, it's always exciting to see a Disney call pop up on the caller ID!!:mickey:

Marker
10-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Well done!!!! That's really cool getting a response like that, regardless of what others may think. Even if no changes are ultimately made, the effort taken to respond back to you is huge in my opinion.

Personally, I would be thrilled if they'd allow an option of a less expensive appetize such as a salad or cup of soup instead of the desert.

And even though the value of the new DDP is not as great, I think depending on your situation, and the way you utilize it, there is still some value to be had.

Naturally they have to be concerned with expenses and profits, THEY ARE A BUSINESS. But personally I think they do a remarkable job of balanceing that concern with a concern for customer satisfaction and value as well.

And if they truly were not concerned with the customer, you wouldn't have gotten a personal reply like that. So again I say, well done.

SBETigg
10-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Wow, that's inspiring! Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad you got a response (and probably a little thrill from that showing up on caller ID- :blush:).

kakn7294
10-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Wow, that's inspiring! Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad you got a response (and probably a little thrill from that showing up on caller ID- :blush:).Yeah, it's exciting to see it on the caller ID. :blush: Poor Phil though, he was sorely disappointed when he found out they weren't giving us anything and it had nothing to do with that contest that I entered!

Jasper
10-09-2007, 02:25 PM
We have never used the dining plan because it just doesn't fit the way we visit WDW. However, I do agree thouroughly with the thought that if enough people refuse to purchase a particular product then Disney will have to either make changes or scrap that product.

While it is true that Disney, like any company, is all about maximizing profit, they also understand that there is no profit at all if a product is so poor that few people use it. And let's face it, we are all so different that just because a few people do or don't like a particular part of the plan doesn't necessarily translate into a large customer boycott. As I said at the the beginning of my post we have never used the dining plan because it doesn't fit us. But obviously it does fit enough people because they continue to bring it back time and again.

Regardless of whether it seems like Disney listens or not we still have to say our piece. The only thing we can be sure of is that if we remain silent then there is no way they will change anything!

teambricker04
10-09-2007, 02:43 PM
That's great to hear! I haven't made any formal complaints (I have a couple that I SHOULD have, but that's a story for another day) but it is nice to hear that voices are heard.

I love complaining and writing letters. Usually I write to congress people. How does the executive level know what needs to be worked on unless they hear from the guests?

Okay...so I posted this and I should clarify that I am not LOOKING to complain, but I just feel that the feelings and reasons I may not pay for something or use something could be expressed to the correct people. Love is a strong word to use with complain. :)

Mnchknbrat1982
10-09-2007, 06:47 PM
I too will be contacting Disney about my thoughts on the dining plan. I know how it stands right now Alan & I would not purchase the plan in the future. I do think they need to take a look at and maybe have like 3 levels to the dining plan.

cal5755
10-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Did you email them? If so what was the email address? Post it for us so anyone in agreement can also tell Disney how we feel about the changes.

BTW I do think it awesome you got a call back and if we all say something maybe changes will be made in the future.

kakn7294
10-09-2007, 08:08 PM
I used this page (https://secure.disney.go.com/wdw/contact/contactUs?id=ContactUsPage). It can also be accessed by going to WDW's official website and using the "contact us" link near the bottom of the page. They will respond with a form e-mail stating that they received your e-mail. I have also asked questions this way and have either received an e-mail reply or phone call although it does sometimes take quite a while for a response from them.

cal5755
10-09-2007, 09:17 PM
KATHY - I just sent an email with our families opinions on the new 2008 changes.

We will take advantage of free dining next year (our first time... we have always paid for dining thus far) however if it is not offered again we will not be able to afford to do the ddp if changes are not made. As it is we use our tax return to pay for a majority of our trip and do yardsales and ebay and all available overtime for the rest. These are some of the things I mentioned in my letter to disney. Hopefully one more voice to make a difference!

cal5755
10-18-2007, 09:46 AM
I recieved a phone call this morning from Disney executives. They thanked me for my input and let me know that my comments and concerns were being passed on to the ddp execs. She also stated the fact that having a choice between appetizer and dessert is a popular complaint that they are recieving and looking into.

They really do listen so if you really are upset about the changes... call or email with your concerns... the more voices they here the more likely they are to change things.

BTW our caller id did not show mgm studios.. just the regular number with 407 area code.

Figgyluv03
10-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Glad to hear that they are at least interested in what their guest have to say. Honestly, it would be nice if we could have the option of either an App or Dessert. DBf and I would rather have an App, than a dessert.

MMouse6937
10-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Kathy, that's wonderful!! We were talking a lot about the changes in the dining plan when we were there this year. I also agree that there should be a appetizer or dessert as some people are not dessert eaters. Also, I think it is really going to be detrimental to the servers tips if it isn't included. We did receive the dining plan for free next year as part of the bounceback offer but we are going to be using our credits for buffet table service, hoop de doo, and room service to limit huge out of pocket tips.

I will also fill out the "complaint" page you linked. Thanks for the update!! :thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
10-18-2007, 01:35 PM
I got a call last tuesday from MGM Studios as well. SHe said she was calling from the executive offices as well. I had emailed a complaint about my room smelling like smoke the whole week. And that I had spoken and pointed out smokers twice to cast members who told me to "go tell the front desk"
The woman was very apppologetic and said she was forwarding the email to the GM at the All stars. She did give me her name and telephone number to call her about a week before we come down again and she will make sure that the room is "up to disney standards"
I was really hoping for a stay in the castle!;)
I aslo included some complaints about the busses that were well documented.
1 the buses never showed at EPCOT one night, we had to call the hotel
2 the last day the bus driver was plain awful, ending with him taking out a good chunk of the curb in front of the hotel!
Hopefully when I call before our next trip we will be pleasantly surprised!

bleukarma
10-18-2007, 01:42 PM
While I have no opinions on the DDP, I think it’s great that you guys are getting feedback!!! From a company as big as Disney, the fact that they are making personal phone calls to address your concerns is wonderful! Just another example of how they go the extra step. :thumbsup: