PDA

View Full Version : It's OK to say NO

thrillme
10-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Quite recently many of us have noticed kids are out there selling stuff for school, boy scouts, band etc.

I really hate selling stuff but it's not going to stop tomorrow so I'm not even going to go there in this post.

What I do ask is IF you're approached by one of these kids...if you don't want to buy anything please simply tell them "No Thank You" and carry on. Recently...my DS has been selling popcorn for Boy Scouts. (No don't anybody panic...I'm not trying to sell anything :blush:)...

Sometimes on weekends he and several other boys may stand by the exit of chain stores (Lowes, Walmart, Sams, Walgreens etc) and ask if you would like to support scouting by buying some popcorn)...Some buy it, some say No Thank You...but some tell these kids..."Uh...I've got to go to the bank first then I'll come back...". PLEASE...if you don't wish to buy anything please tell these kids the truth rather than get them all worked up about you coming back. I explained to my son that sometimes people have a hard time simply saying NO.

I know this isn't ONLY happening in Boy Scouts...I've seen it happen in a lot of OTHER places too.

PirateLover
10-08-2007, 06:48 PM
I agree that it's wrong to lie but sometimes people just feel so bad. I personally am not a fan of groups that set up shop outside of stores... but I know in this day and age it is dangerous to go door to door, and mom and dad shouldn't be responsible for getting donors in work so where else do the kids have to turn to? I have to say though, sometimes kids can be downright rude if you say no. I live in the city and there are many youth groups that sell candy outside of local stores to raise funds for trips without adult supervision and they are worse than beggars sometimes. I try to help out when I can but you can't give to everyone and I think kids don't understand that sometimes.

Deesdisney
10-08-2007, 07:00 PM
I have no problem with kids selling but the older ones that try to sell to go to Bermuda or somewhere really get me. I always say no thank you but they do not get the answer. I always buy from younger kids in the neighbor hood.

jonsmom
10-08-2007, 07:18 PM
I for one dont like putting cash into someone's hands. I just dont trust that the $$ will go to the right place.

Donald
10-08-2007, 07:29 PM
I am tired of parents dropping order slips on the break room table!!!!!! If a child puts out the effort to [U]politely[U] ask to purchase their item, I am happy to contribute. :mickey:

mttafire
10-08-2007, 07:45 PM
I hav'nt bought this stuff from kids for years. I just simply say "no thanks". :thumbsup:

kakn7294
10-08-2007, 08:09 PM
I'm one of "those" parents who puts their kids' order forms on the break room table. However, I feel that no one has to purchase anything - if they want to that's great and we appreciate the support. If they don't purchase anything, I don't hold it against anyone but then when it comes time for others to sell something, I do make it a point to support the kids of those who have purchased from me first - what goes around, comes around.

DisneyAddict62
10-08-2007, 08:33 PM
My kids have two different fundraisers going on right now! But we usually just hit up family members! :D

What gets me are the older kids that just stand outside these stores and just beg for cash! They don't even make an effort to sell anything! How hard is it to buy a box of candy bars! There is a group of cheerleaders in our area that have been at about every store in town in the last week. (They aren't from my kids' school.) I just politely tell them that that I won't give them cash, but if they'd like to contact our restaurant, we'd be happy to do a fundraiser with them. We never hear from them. Imagine.

A couple of years ago, a group was at the grocery store across from our restaurant. When they were done, they came over to buy pizza! I wouldn't take their order because they were digging in the cans for the cash! They weren't too happy, and I'm sure they went somewhere else and got food with the money. I told their supervisor about it the next time she came in (she is a regular customer), and she wasn't too happy. They should have had a chaparone with them in the first place in my opinion!

LibertyTreeGal
10-08-2007, 09:00 PM
The problem is generally that people feel manipulated to buy things (in the form of guilt) and when people feel manipulated, they feel cornered and will often do anything to escape.

The popcorn thingie came home with my twin cub scouts too, and we aren't buying or selling the stuff. $14 for a box of popcorn that costs $4 in the store? No way! We donated money directly to the troop instead, since the United Way gets the bulk of the money anyway and our local troop sees almost nothing.

That came on the heels of the school fundraiser, yikes! Kids peddling junk all over the place. And they are offered incentives and feel badly if they don't get a certain level (where they are rewarded with a certain number of toys). It is pure evil.

What I don't get is this -- why is someone more willing to spend $20 on fundraiser stuff (where the group gets maybe 40%) instead of just giving the cause a $20 bill? *sheesh*

And what are we teaching our kids? Boy Scouts used to do actual work to earn money for their trips, now they sell things. I don't see where that is teaching boy Scout values....

Oh, and my best story, way back when before i had kids, someone placed a chocolate bar in my pocket and said, "You owe my kid a buck." They were dead serious.

My response? "Anything that goes into that pocket is a gift, so this is your one chance to remove it." ;)

baldburke
10-08-2007, 09:03 PM
I agree with the majority, enough is enough. It is never ending with the fundraisers. I've actually gone to my management to ask them to ban these items, but they were reluctant to. And the kids that stand out in front of the chain stores begging like palpers, it is a shame that their parents let them stoop to that level. Why don't they just stand at the traffic light with a squidgy?

LibertyTreeGal
10-08-2007, 09:48 PM
I agree with the majority, enough is enough. It is never ending with the fundraisers. I've actually gone to my management to ask them to ban these items, but they were reluctant to. And the kids that stand out in front of the chain stores begging like palpers, it is a shame that their parents let them stoop to that level. Why don't they just stand at the traffic light with a squidgy?

You know, part of the problem is that the things these fundraisers buy are over the top or unnecesary. The cost of these boy scout trips is exhorbitant. Boys do not need to go to Alaska camping, they need to camp out in the woods near where they live.

Schools are buying things that are not necessary for education, like t-shirts and popcorn machines (like at our school) and having free movie nights. I got along fine without these things, as did everyone else before me. Popcorn on thursdays isn't helping anyone learn anything....

Jenemmy
10-09-2007, 06:25 AM
It's so hard to turn the little one's down. At times I help them out, the times I can't I always smile, tell them no thanks and be sure to wish them luck.

Now, I tell ya the people that get ME (and sorry - this veers off a bit, but still relevant) the folks at those kiosks in the middle of the mall that will not let you past their cart with begging, cajoling and following you a bit..UGH! The ones at my mall are selling some type of hand lotion and are SOOOO pushy! I was there yesterday and employed my cell phone to have an IMAGINARY conversation on as I walked past their cart just to escape the harassment!!!:secret::blush:

conorsmom2000
10-09-2007, 07:53 AM
It's funny that I read this today, after spending $42 last night on 2 cheesecakes that I don't really need or want - but, I did it to support my nephew! He was raising funds to go WDW in April next year to perform on Main street with HS band and choir - how could I say no to that?? :mickey:

What I don't get is this -- why is someone more willing to spend $20 on fundraiser stuff (where the group gets maybe 40%) instead of just giving the cause a $20 bill? *sheesh*

I think because a lot of people like getting something for their money. Giving $20 to an organization doesn't do it - they want something for that $20, even if it is overpriced.

I see things a little differently as I run a non-profit with my family and I'm the President of the Parents' Association at Conor's school - I feel like I am always asking people for money. And I hate doing it, but it is necessary. We start off the year asking for a $10 enrollment fee for the PA at school - $5 of that goes to the PA, $5 goes towards field trips for every student in the school. Out of 270 kids in the school, we have had 78 families enroll, which is average for us. So, that already puts us in the position of having to fundraise, just to cover the rest of the field trips, not to mention the other things we do. If every family joined the PA, we could knock off one fundraiser - but for their own reasons, they choose not to.

Our "big" fundraiser just ended - and again, out of 270 students, we had 77 orders. We get a 50% profit from this fundraiser - and we did take in $1,500 more than last year. No one likes doing it, and I really only ask one friend to buy stuff (her kids went to this school, so she still likes to support it).

But, the bulk of the money that we raise goes back to the school - teachers get a check from us in October to buy items for their classroom, we gift the school with things they need, we give scholarships to 2 students in every class to cover the costs of the summer enrichment programs, we do assemblies for the school (this year the author of the Scooby Doo mysteries is coming! :thumbsup: ) etc. But, this year, we are using a small amount just to do something fun - we will be having a pumpkin picking day at the end of October - our courtyard will be made over with hay bales and corn stalks, we're having 300 sugar pumpkins delivered - kids will be about to have a donut and juice, and pick a pumpkin. Is it something necessary? No. But it's nice to do something just for fun, and to give the kids 15 minutes to enjoy a little bit of fall festivities.

Our principal won't let us do a movie night, or games night at our school, though others in the district do. If I could, I would absolutely do it - no, it's not about learning, it's about making the school a community and bringing families together for a night. I know our school could definitely benefit from that type of situation.

But, back on topic, for the most part, fund raising is not easy - for the person doing it, or for the person who doesn't want to purchase anything. So be polite, on both sides, and it makes things much easier! :mickey:

Jenemmy
10-09-2007, 08:04 AM
It's funny that I read this today, after spending $42 last night on 2 cheesecakes that I don't really need or want - but, I did it to support my nephew! He was raising funds to go WDW in April next year to perform on Main street with HS band and choir - how could I say no to that?? :mickey::

Well THAT'S different!!!! Cheesecakes for everyone :number1: And, where do I sign up to be in this band? Do I need to actually be able to play an instrument?? ;)

conorsmom2000
10-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Well THAT'S different!!!! Cheesecakes for everyone :number1: And, where do I sign up to be in this band? Do I need to actually be able to play an instrument?? ;)

Well, they always need someone to hold the banner!! :D They are all so excited - my niece got to do this 2 years ago, and now it's my nephew's turn - though, this time, Disney invited the choir as well. I think it costs each family $800 to send their child (then of course, what they pay so they can be there!) so the fundraising really helps! :mickey:

kakn7294
10-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Some organizations cannot accept donations and keep the money at the group / troop level. If my Girl Scout troop is given a donation (other than what I ask parents to donate in order to pay for snacks and supplies for meetings), I'm supposed to give it all to the counsil or go through filling out miles of red-tape paperwork to explain why we need to keep this money at the troop level. At the end of each year, whatever money we haven't spent on the girls / troop gets taken from us by counsil, leaving only $20 per girl in the troop account. And half of that money is to be used to pay for registration, leaving only $10 per girl for supplies for the year.

SBETigg
10-09-2007, 09:04 AM
I think it's sad that even public schools have to rely on fundraisers now. No one likes them, but they are effective and a necessary evil. I think most of us have had to help our kids with a few of them and we understand what it's like and are either willing to help or willing to politely say no thank you. It's too bad some people have to be rude in saying no, or pushy in the selling, but what a great feeling for the kids when they do well with it and see the results of their efforts.

Tinkerfreak
10-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Last year our school stopped giving out the prizes for the most sales. Some kids just did not have a parent who worked with hundreds of people who ordered from them. They just encourage selling to family and friends but there is no pressure to sell the most to win something. My brother and I don't order from each others kids fundraisers anymore, we just spend that money to order extra things from our own kids fundraisers. My oldest daughters school collects one flat amount at the beginning of the year to help pay for field trips etc. My DH and I always go out and fill the teachers wish lists in any way we can. We spend about $150. on extra supplies for their teachers and classrooms and I was happy to help out. In the end the fundraising would have cost me that much anyway. Whenever they get a book order home I let each dd order a book and then I send an extra $5 to the teacher and ask them to order a book for a child that may not be able to afford it. They make it like a raffle only they make sure the child that needs it wins the raffle. I know not everyone can afford to do this so I am happy to help out.

conorsmom2000
10-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Whenever they get a book order home I let each dd order a book and then I send an extra $5 to the teacher and ask them to order a book for a child that may not be able to afford it.

That's a wonderful idea and I may just steal that and do it when we get our order forms home!! :thumbsup: Conor has a brand new teacher this year, with her first classroom so she's in need of supplies as well - we just donated (I'm almost embarrassed to say) 120 of Conor's old books (Henry & Mudge, Junie B. Jones, Magic School Bus, etc.) to her for her classroom. Conor's such a huge reader and with scholastic orders (which we've gotten through his preschool since he was 3), I've always been a big book buyer, as he's like his Mom and likes to re-read his favorites over and over, but now he's outgrown them so I was happy to give them to her. :) She had tears in her eyes when I brought them in, she was so happy!

And normally my siblings and I don't purchase for each others kids either - especially the ones in town, as we do similar fund raisers. But, I insisted that he bring me the cheesecake one - this is for Disney!! :mickey:

I've often thought about doing a "booster" program at the school, rather than the fundraisers - if we asked for $50 per family, it would be cheaper & easier for everyone, and we'd make about $5000 more than we do with fundraising all year - but, we wouldn't get it. Some can't afford it and some would just choose not to do it. So, next up is our fresh Thanksgiving pie sale - anyone need a pie? :D

SBETigg
10-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Our school system also has a black tie gala- $50 per person, but you get to dress up, get out without the kids, and socialize with other parents knowing all the proceeds go to the school. It seems steep, but we'll spend that to go out to dinner, so why not?

Marker
10-09-2007, 12:08 PM
The popcorn thingie came home with my twin cub scouts too, and we aren't buying or selling the stuff. $14 for a box of popcorn that costs $4 in the store? No way! We donated money directly to the troop instead, since the United Way gets the bulk of the money anyway and our local troop sees almost nothing.

May I ask where you get your information? I have NEVER heard of the United Way getting any of the proceeds from the popcorn sale, much less "the bulk of".

To quote from the Boy Scouts of Amerca.... "As one of the organization's most popular fund-raisers, the popcorn sale supports local units' Scouting throughout the year. Last year, over 70 percent of the fund-raiser's proceeds stayed within local councils. Of that amount, one-third of a council's proceeds went directly to the units that sold popcorn to fund their local programs and activities."

As this reads, the Popcorn sale generates 70% profit the Boy Scouts. Of that profit 33% goes to the units selling the popcorn and 66% stay stays stays with the local scout council.

Just trying to be fair with the facts here.

Scouts still do work to earn money. Selling popcorn is ONE OPTION for fundraisers that units use. And in my mind selling product IS work.

Jenemmy
10-09-2007, 12:09 PM
My DS's school did do something that I thought was a GREAT idea last year. They had a scrip sale for giftcards from absolutely anywhere.....every restaurant, department store, grocery, gas station etc... you can think of. If the place sold gift cards, you could order one. I guess if they are bought in bulk, many place will sell them to you cheaper than face value and the school got that difference. The percentage varied from store to store and the order form indicated what percent kick back the school received.

The kids brought home forms for these last November and I realized that they would make WONDERFUL Christmas presents for acquaintances....10 bucks here, 10 bucks there. I could tuck them inside Christmas cards. Someone ELSE ran all over town collecting them for me from various establishments, my kiddo brought them home from school to me, I paid out what I normally would have spent on a Christmas gift AND the school benefitted.

Now, if only they would abandon the ultra expensive nut and wrapping paper fundraiser and pour more into this!!! LOL

conorsmom2000
10-09-2007, 01:10 PM
My DS's school did do something that I thought was a GREAT idea last year. They had a scrip sale for giftcards from absolutely anywhere.....every restaurant, department store, grocery, gas station etc... you can think of. If the place sold gift cards, you could order one. I guess if they are bought in bulk, many place will sell them to you cheaper than face value and the school got that difference. The percentage varied from store to store and the order form indicated what percent kick back the school received.

......Now, if only they would abandon the ultra expensive nut and wrapping paper fundraiser and pour more into this!!! LOL

We actually tried this last year, and would love to offer it on an ongoing basis, but it did not do well at all. But, we didn't find out about it/offer it until the Spring - so, this year we will do it in November and hopefully will do much better. We too think it's a great idea and an easy one - parents buy a card and get a card for that denomination - nothing extra out of the parents pocket!! :thumbsup:

SteveL
10-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Ah, school is back in session and parents are hawking the Joe Corbi's pizza kits. Not a bad product at all, but they try selling to me knowing that my sons own a pizza shop.

2Epcot
10-09-2007, 01:49 PM
I agree that it's wrong to lie but sometimes people just feel so bad. I personally am not a fan of groups that set up shop outside of stores... but I know in this day and age it is dangerous to go door to door, and mom and dad shouldn't be responsible for getting donors in work so where else do the kids have to turn to? I try to help out when I can but you can't give to everyone and I think kids don't understand that sometimes.

I will sometimes buy when I have the money, but if I don't I just tell them I can't. I'm also not a fan of the people outside the stores, but I understand it. When I was younger we did a lot of fundrasing, and at that time we still went door-to-door. Even when I was younger, I hated asking people to buy stuff, and actually as a result of that knew I would never get into sales as and adult.

I see things a little differently as I run a non-profit with my family and I'm the President of the Parents' Association at Conor's school - I feel like I am always asking people for money. And I hate doing it, but it is necessary. For the most part, fund raising is not easy - for the person doing it, or for the person who doesn't want to purchase anything. So be polite, on both sides, and it makes things much easier! :mickey:

I think it's sad that even public schools have to rely on fundraisers now. No one likes them, but they are effective and a necessary evil.

Most schools have a hard enough time with the budget for basic suplies, so there is almost always the need for fundrasing.

I remember selling stuff in elmentary school, middle school, as well as high school. In 6th grade our class sold the most tickets to a fundrasing dinner, and we won a trip to the mall to go ice skating (my first time on ice). In high school I was in marching band, so we had quite a few fundrasiers so we could take the band on trips. Many of these trips were to compete with other high schools in band competitions throughout the state.

I know at work I often see the candy there for someones kid, and and envelope to drop a dollar in. If I like the candy I will often buy one. Many times when I see the car washes I think about stopping to support, but usually I'm in a hurry to get somewhere. As long as the kids are polite, and I have the money on hand I will often donate because I know the suport is needed, and I remember how much I hated doing it.

thrillme
10-09-2007, 02:10 PM
May I ask where you get your information? I have NEVER heard of the United Way getting any of the proceeds from the popcorn sale, much less "the bulk of".

To quote from the Boy Scouts of Amerca.... "As one of the organization's most popular fund-raisers, the popcorn sale supports local units' Scouting throughout the year. Last year, over 70 percent of the fund-raiser's proceeds stayed within local councils. Of that amount, one-third of a council's proceeds went directly to the units that sold popcorn to fund their local programs and activities."

As this reads, the Popcorn sale generates 70% profit the Boy Scouts. Of that profit 33% goes to the units selling the popcorn and 66% stay stays stays with the local scout council.

Just trying to be fair with the facts here.

Scouts still do work to earn money. Selling popcorn is ONE OPTION for fundraisers that units use. And in my mind selling product IS work.

That's the info I got. The scouts get 70%. In fact they offer each troop an "option". Instead of PRIZES...they offer the boys a percentage in their individual scout fund to use for camping, equipment or other scout needs. Yes sometimes they offer trips out of state that are extravagant but most of the scouts camp "locally".

I truly hate sales but the scouts really try to get the kids to do the work by doing some of the selling. The scouts are supposed to POLITELY ask if you would like to buy some "popcorn" and if you say "No"...they're supposed to say "Thank you and have a nice day"... Unfortunately some kids are just better than others and some "adult attendants" are more attentive than others in making sure the scouts are doing a good job.

I got hit with three fundraisers at one time. I really appreciated the "band" fundraiser. Sell $140 or donate $70. That works for me...here's your check.

I really can't stand when a school won't take donations but expects me to sell $$$ worth of JUNK because if they don't sell a certian amount their percentage of profit margin actually drops. For those...I tell my son that I'm not playing THAT game...and the order form is returned to school.

Marker
10-09-2007, 02:44 PM
AT LEAST WHERE I LIVE.....

It's really not the school selling items and doing fundraisers. It's the booster clubs, the parent's associations, and the activity club that are selling.

Typically, we all want our kids to be active and involved. But these activities come with a price. Fundraising is quite often the vehicle used to pay that price.

There's nothing wrong with saying "No" (politely and friendly of course). I don't feel compelled to support everything. Whether or not I choose to by if often dependant on who asked first and/or how they asked. I also ask what they are raising funds for, if they don't know, I tell them to find out and come back when they know. I will admit to being a softer target to younger children, but if a 17 year old band member comes to my door selling so they can go on the trip with their band, that is just a valid a reason as the younger students have. I'll know I'll watch with pride when I see the Blue Springs Golden Regiment band marching in the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade, or where ever. The year they were marching at WDW I had no choice but to help.

If a school is doing fundraising, at least in the public school world, then that's a whole other can of worms. That is a problem with the funding of our schools necessitating fundraising.

Parent's associations (ex. PTA) often raise funds to help provide and fund programs at the school, but really shouldn't be funding the school, they should be advocating for more adequate funding (in my opinion) of the constitutionally mandated (in my state anyway) PUBLIC education.

bleukarma
10-09-2007, 04:08 PM

I know! Last year my best friend and I walked 5 miles for the March of Dimes to benefit research on premature births. Only about 2 or 3 people in our office signed up. But if someone puts an order form in the break room for chocolate or gift paper or stationary then they get a whole list of people that buy stuff from them.

When we were celebrating my aunts birthday a neighborhood kid came around and was selling stuff out of a plastic tub. Normally I say no to these kids but there were actually a few items in there that caught my eye. And I figure that I should do my best to keep the neighborhood kids happy. They are the ones that can cause the most trouble to you if they set their minds to it.

9 times out of 10 I’ll tell people that are trying to sell me something (or beg for money) that I only have debit, I don’t have cash. Usually it’s true, I don’t usually carry much cash on me. However I never make promises to come back.

Marker
10-09-2007, 04:40 PM
I know! Last year my best friend and I walked 5 miles for the March of Dimes to benefit research on premature births. Only about 2 or 3 people in our office signed up. But if someone puts an order form in the break room for chocolate or gift paper or stationary then they get a whole list of people that buy stuff from them.

When we were celebrating my aunts birthday a neighborhood kid came around and was selling stuff out of a plastic tub. Normally I say no to these kids but there were actually a few items in there that caught my eye. And I figure that I should do my best to keep the neighborhood kids happy. They are the ones that can cause the most trouble to you if they set their minds to it.

9 times out of 10 I’ll tell people that are trying to sell me something (or beg for money) that I only have debit, I don’t have cash. Usually it’s true, I don’t usually carry much cash on me. However I never make promises to come back.

You refer to people selling things as begging for money, do you look at yourself in the same light when soliciting for March of Dimes?

Everyone has a cause or causes they support, and their cause is just as important to them as another cause may be to someone else. We all make choices as to which causes we choose to support, but that choice doesn't mean the other causes are not important as well.

I know people have lots of reasons to support various causes, but I don't believe I've ever heard fear of retaliation offered as one of those reasons. I don't believe I've ever feared extortion from the kids in our neighborhood.

bleukarma
10-09-2007, 05:06 PM
You refer to people selling things as begging for money, do you look at yourself in the same light when soliciting for March of Dimes?

Everyone has a cause or causes they support, and their cause is just as important to them as another cause may be to someone else. We all make choices as to which causes we choose to support, but that choice doesn't mean the other causes are not important as well.

I know people have lots of reasons to support various causes, but I don't believe I've ever heard fear of retaliation offered as one of those reasons. I don't believe I've ever feared extortion from the kids in our neighborhood.

I wasn't calling people soliciting the same as people begging for money. I meant that I usually tell people that are selling AND people that are begging for money that I only have debit. Sorry if I typed that in the wrong light. I would never call people that are soliciting beggers...I used to be a Girl Scout and I used to sell cookies outside of stores. So I would be calling myself a begger. :mickey:

magicofdisney
10-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Imagine the financial mess public schools would be in if all home schoolers returned en masse?

SteveL
10-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Imagine the financial mess public schools would be in if all home schoolers returned en masse?

Overall, I don't think that the numbers of home schooled kids would be so large as to significantly affect the public school districts.
However, if the parochial schools, particularly the Catholic schools, closed THAT would significantly affect the public school system. Just the need to build additional public schools would wreak havoc.
And just imagine what would happen to your local school taxes!

mjaclyn
10-10-2007, 04:16 PM
I am one of those people who do feel guilted into buying something. I understand that boy scouts, girl scounts, softball teams, etc. need to raise money for their group, but I would be SO appreciative if they could set up their stand away from the grocery store door and allow people who actually do want to buy something to come to them instead of people being bombarded as they leave the store. I HATE being asked (it seems like EVERY time I leave a store) if I want to buy something or contribute to their trip. If it's something I actually want then I would go over to them myself and buy a box of cookies or whatever it is. I just really hate it when people ask for money or donations. I DO have to say though, I don't make excuses - I either say 'no thank you' or I'll just say 'ok' and give them $1.00 or whatever I have in my purse. I do feel guilty saying 'no' to kids! I just wish there was another way they could do it that didn't make me feel guilty for saying no.

drummerboy
10-10-2007, 05:09 PM

As this reads, the Popcorn sale generates 70% profit the Boy Scouts.
I'm not joining the fray about whether sales are good or bad, but the key word to watch in what Marker said is "proceeds". Generally that means what's left after taking out the cost of the product and the lead agency's overhead.

e.g.--If the popcorn sold for $10, and retail for it was $4 and the agency overhead was $4, then the seventy percent would be applied to the remaining $2, leaving $1.40. Some groups might still consider this to be a good amount, but anyone contmplating these kind of sales needs to consider the real dollar amounts involved, not just percentages.

murphy1
10-11-2007, 08:49 AM
I'm the "Kool-Aid" mom, meaning I get all the kids coming over to our house or playing in our cul-de-sac. I have four or five kids to say "no" to. Sometimes I buy, sometimes not. I have quit the wrapping paper fundraiser, they messed up our orders twice and it was too hard to manage. I usually tell people I have already bought whatever the product is, which is a lot of times true, but people should understand that if you just want a simple and quick explanation to give at the Wal-Mart. I think most of us eagerly anticipate the Girl Scout cookies though, I don't know too many people who don't like to see them coming!

nicole48040
10-11-2007, 09:11 AM
I have two children. Whenever the order forms come home they go directly into the garbage. I don't sell to people so I do not feel I have to buy either. I do buy girl scout cookies and chocolate carmel popcorn from boyscouts, but only because I love them. However, about a month ago I stopped at a boyscout booth to buy the cc popcorn and they tried to convince me to get two cans instead of the one I asked for (this was the adults at the table, not the kids). Well at $20.00 for a little can, you would think they could be happpy I was buying one. I won't be stopping at another booth, if I know a boyscout GREAT, if not forget it :(

Jasper
10-11-2007, 09:15 AM

About 20 years ago my daughter who was about 8 or so at the time decided she wanted to join the youth soccer league that had formed in our community the year before. At one of her games a representative from the league came over and told us parents that the league needed money for various things. They said they needed an average of $15.00 per youth to cover their costs. They said that it would be up to us to decide if we wanted to sell something or just cough up the cash. You would not believe how fast the wallets came out!! I can guarantee that anytime a parent is given the choice between selling something or making a small cash donation we will do the donation anytime!!!

I know that there is always the argument that some may not be able to afford to make a cash donation. But I contend that if you can afford to put your child into that activity then you probably can afford a small donation. And if you truly can’t afford to pay then I am sure that a private word with some “official” of the activity will get you out of paying or at least get you a reduction in the amount paid.

Jeri Lynn
10-11-2007, 09:33 AM
I think sometimes we are all unindated with fundraisers. I just paid a sports fee of $200 for my son to play football and $150 for my daughter to play field hockey, and then they sent a slip home for each of them to sell 8 magazines at $20 a piece. That didn't happen...

In the past, if my kids have sold stuff that I really was not truly interested in, what I have done is make out a check to the school and send it in, that way they get the full amount of what I am sending, not just a portion, and I am not getting something I really don't need...

Although, those tubs of cookie dough are my downfall!! :blush: