PDA

View Full Version : landscaping in the parks

thejens
10-07-2007, 08:26 PM
I just fininshed reading about the smells of Disney and realized that a huge part of what makes WDW so wonderful for me is the gorgeous landscaping. This seems to get relatively little mention, but adds so much to the theming. I recently have been to several local "amusement park/carnival" type activities with the kids and couldn't stop noticing how horrible everything looked. Of course there are a million reasons WDW is much better but a huge part is the role the trees, flowers, etc. play. At Epcot I got cranky and annoyed when it seemed my entire family could spend the whole day playing in Innovations. I left the building and sat outside. I immediately became happy watching the fountains and enjoying the tranquil setting. I think I could enjoy going to all the parks and not go on a single ride (of course I would rather ride too.)

Darbylew
10-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Yes, I agree with you that the landscaping is
beautiful in all the parks. WDW really knows
how to landscape. Epcot is so pretty in the
spring when we attend the Flower and Garden
Festival. :thumbsup::mickey:

Pirate Granny
10-07-2007, 09:05 PM
I could and have just sat outside on a bench and looked around...and enjoyed the beautiful landscaping...and theming...

:pirate:

Victor Kelly
10-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Cypress gardens is the only one that is better. All of the better theme parks are getting more into landscaping, and putting loads of effort into it.

EPCOT84
10-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Thank you for writing about landscaping. It is one of the things that makes all the Disney parks and resort areas special. The neatly manicured foliage, the colors and plants that change to fit the area. Everywhere...:pine:

thejens
10-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Yes, the landscaping at the resorts is even more incredible. At the WL there are even little bunnies hopping about. The AKL is so exotic! Then at the Contemporary all the trees are cut in a futuristic "Jetson's" style. I think the Values are superior to any other reasonably priced motel due to the extraordinary landscaping and grounds. It is just wonderful!

TheRustyScupper
10-08-2007, 09:22 AM
1) There are two park-wide departments at WDW that TRULY EXCEL.
. . . Maintenance
. . . Horticulture
2) Both do such a great job with their budget cuts.
3) Horticulture people are especially dedicated.
4) I have known several, and they do try hard.

NOTE: This is not to say other departments don't try, but as a park-wide entity, these two consistently perform far greater than their proportionately reduced budgets normally would allow.

brownie
10-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Check out Secrets of Disney's Glorious Gardens by Kevin Markey (Disney Editions, 2006) and Gardens of the Walt Disney World Resort (the Walt Disney Company, 1988).

future_imagineer
10-08-2007, 10:27 AM
The landscaping is one of my favorite parts of WDW, with Epcot in particular being the best.

ibrowse17
10-08-2007, 10:33 AM
They really do a great job, and bring a lot of beauty to the parks and resorts. Their hard waorks really pays off in my mind:thumbsup:

MickeyandTink
10-08-2007, 11:24 AM
You are so right. I could spend all day watching the fountains at Epcot and listening to the music (well, maybe not that long cause there is too many other great things to do :D ) Also, the topiary scene from Sorcerer's Apprentice outside the animation studios section at MGM ( I mean DHS) is excellent.

LudwigVonDrake
10-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Disney is the Master when it comes to landscaping and putting you in the middle of the theming :mickey:

wedway76
10-08-2007, 12:00 PM
I think I could enjoy going to all the parks and not go on a single ride

:ditto:

I could too!!!

jclightchasr
10-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Yes I totally agree this topic is not mentioned near enough. The landscaping (as I have read in older Birmbaum guides) in Epcot's WS is not only done with plants indigenous to the country but also with that country's techneiques for pruning for example. I even read they copied the 18th century pruning techniques on the trees outside the American Pavillion. I baffles the mind the research involved in even the most minute details all of which adds to the magic. I have always had an appreciation for the topiaries which are not just in the parks but at the marketplace and even at some resorts. My fave has always been the dragon at the lake near tomorrowland.

McGoofy
10-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Ooh-Ooh-Ooh....May I post pictures of the Flower Festival???? I love the landscaping at any time at WDW, but I especially love the Flower Festival. I wish the topiaries could stay up year round, but I guess that wouldn't make it special each spring. Anyway, this past May, I was just in awe over the landscaping at the Flower Festival, so if you would like, you may see some of the photos that I took:
Flower Festival (http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560976351pvMHtZ)

Jasper
10-08-2007, 01:42 PM
I have tremendous back problems and can't ride any of the attractions that are rough or wild so I get a lot of opportunity to sit and enjoy the landscaping. Walt Disney is quoted many different places as having made many comments about wanting a park where he could take his children and not feel dirty and unsafe. The result is the beautiful look that we all love so much. There is no question that when we go to other parks that are not as well landscaped that we do not feel nearly as good about the experience.

I am often disappointed when we go to other amusement parks that don't even make the effort to landscape nicely or to keep the park clean. It really doesn't take that much to make and keep the landscaping nice. We live about 30 minutes from a small theme park called Holiday World here in southern Indiana. This is a prime example of a small park that doesn't have a lot of financial resources but still does so much to make the park nice. They start out any new attraction with at least some landscaping and then add to it as they can afford to do so. In addition they keep the park absolutely immaculately clean. If they can do it any park can.

mac badger
10-08-2007, 03:55 PM
jasper, i went to holiday world last summer and really enjoyed it. plus- free parking, free sunscreen and free soda (even if it is pepsi products)a thoroughly enjoyable smaller park

i have in fact spent a whole day at a park (mk) doing nothing but people watching, and enjoying the architecture and landscaping. it was a great day:mickey:

jpH/keD
10-08-2007, 05:15 PM
My family thinks I am crazy! I love to go and see how many of the plants I can identify!! We live in VA and I love all the different things that grow in FLA! We go to Busch Gardens, Williamsburg quite often and they also do a lovely job landscaping this park! I would love to go sometime during the F&G Show at Epcot and spend a day w/ the gardeners! However w/ my DS6 and my DS4 tagging along this wont get to happen any time soon! Maybe when I retire........... :mickey:

thejens
10-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks for sharing your pictures McGoofy. It brought back memories. I have only ever been to WDW during the Flower show and don't think I want to try another time! I was glad you posted the pics because since we stayed at Beach Club I never entered the park by the Peter Pan display and missed it. Thanks! Also, lightchaser, that is amazing information about the horticulturists using period pruning techniques. I surely can't see any evidence of budget cutbacks! But I hope they don't cut anymore. I think even those who don't "notice" the landscaping are deeply affected by it. The "magic" we all feel is most likely a result of lots and lots of very precise, careful hard work, but I like to think there is a little fairy dust thrown in.

thejens
10-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks for sharing your pictures McGoofy. It brought back memories. I have only ever been to WDW during the Flower show and don't think I want to try another time! I was glad you posted the pics because since we stayed at Beach Club I never entered the park by the Peter Pan display and missed it. Thanks! Also, lightchaser, that is amazing information about the horticulturists using period pruning techniques. I surely can't see any evidence of budget cutbacks! But I hope they don't cut anymore. I think even those who don't "notice" the landscaping are deeply affected by it. The "magic" we all feel is most likely a result of lots and lots of very precise, careful hard work, but I like to think there is a little fairy dust thrown in.

EPCOT84
10-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Walt Disney is quoted many different places as having made many comments about wanting a park where he could take his children and not feel dirty and unsafe. The result is the beautiful look that we all love so much.

:ditto::exactly:

teamblackwell
10-09-2007, 02:35 AM
Here is a landscaping course 101 tip (Disney is the experts at this). They will beautifuly landscape each area using hundreds of plants but only 3-6 species of plants, at the most. Taller plants in the back, shorter ones in the front, layers of colors with minimal need for maintenance. Its easiler to maintain 1group of 80 cabbage plants as appossed to 80 indivdual cabbage plants. Look for those details next time your at EPCOT.
See ya in the World (WDW),
Teamblackwell

Deesdisney
10-09-2007, 10:25 AM
I agree with you. It is so relaxing just to sit and look at the landscaping. I only wish I could hire someone from there to do my landscaping at my house. Then I would feel like I was there all the time. I have been to one other park this year (not by choice). The plants were dying and brown. The grounds were dirty and there were cob webs and gum stuck to food stations. Boy I really missed WDW.