PDA

View Full Version : Token Freebie

#1donaldfan
10-07-2007, 09:42 AM
What token (freebie) keepsake do you look forward to getting year after year. For our kids it's the pluto spoon straw from AK. They get them with a frozen lemonaide from a pretzel stand just after getting off of KRR.....they use them all year, and when we go back, they make sure we "refresh" their supply of 'em ......

Kairi_7378
10-07-2007, 09:45 AM
I look forward to the Mickey Mouse soap.

grumpyguy
10-07-2007, 09:50 AM
i like the key to the kingdom card,napkins w/mickey on them and of course the park guide maps (they make great bathroom material):thumbsup:

crltkcagle
10-07-2007, 10:32 AM
well it's not really a freebie but we got popcorn from epcot that came in the huge buckets. we saved the buckets and my kids enjoy movie time with popcorn in thier mickey mouse buckets. :popcorn:

JPL
10-07-2007, 10:57 AM
My Favorite use to be the plastic souvenir cups that you got when you purchased a soda at the parks. They had them at MK, AK, and Epcot. The ones at the MK were really cool because it was a set with a different cup from each land. They made great cups to drink from at home and I have also used them as a pencil holder on my desk at work. Recently they have disappeared from all but a a few places and on my trip in June I didn't notice any :(

SimbaandNalasMama
10-07-2007, 12:44 PM
This isnt really a freebie, but i gather all the round Mickey coasters that the glasses rest on in the hotel room. i get as many as i can and use them at home year round. it helps me grab little bits of pixie dust until my next trip.

also, i grab extra napkins through out the parks to use at home. again, helps with the disney withdrawals. :mickey:

dixielandings
10-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Drink stirrers and toiletries! I like the idea of the coasters. That's great! :thumbsup:

RockChalkKimball
10-07-2007, 05:41 PM
I figured I was the only one who brought home the coasters! I use them on my desk to bring a little Disney into every day.

Nascfan
10-07-2007, 05:55 PM
For me, it's my room key/card. I have all of mine from each previous trip. :mickey:

Suz36
10-07-2007, 08:15 PM
I love the Mickey confetti. We gathered some on our last trip, and I've since scattered them around the house. I'll come across one every now and then, and it brings a smile to my face!

EPCOT84
10-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Green clear plastic stirrers at the Biergarten at Germany in Epcot - still has the EPCOT Center name and original logo ! Retro Epcot, yeah !:figment:

bkfree
10-07-2007, 10:34 PM
I thought I was the only crazy one that brings back hordes of napkins and the coasters. I also bring back the toiletries and use them to stock our guest bathroom.
Love the drink stirrer idea, will have to do that next time as well as the AK spoon straw.My two aren't really snackers so I had not seen those.
Not a freebie, but during a rain at the World we bought those clear rainponchos with Mickey on the back and my kids have used them for a year. They look forward to a rainy day so they can wear them.

Marilyn Michetti
10-07-2007, 11:53 PM
I pick up bits of confetti, and little feathers that fall off costumes, but my favorite is a leaf that blew right in my lap during the safari. All that stuff is in my "box" waiting for DD to scrapbook for me. Everytime I look at that leaf, I remember that we were stopped for the giraffe that was in the middle of the road, and that leaf shared the moment.

I also have my popcorn bucket, and yes, the coasters - dozens of them. AND, (don't burn me for this), a package of crayons from Cape May. I signed the tablecloth first.:blush:

PlutoLover
10-07-2007, 11:57 PM
ANYTHING PLUTO!!!

:pluto::pluto::pluto::pluto::pluto::pluto::pluto:

I had NO IDEA about the Pluto spoons, thanks #1DonaldFan, I'm going to get a whole set

Momof2boys
10-08-2007, 10:08 AM
We love the cups that we get from the slushies at the ice cream shop next to Mickey's Star Traders (can't think of the name right now).

MickeyandTink
10-08-2007, 11:30 AM
I love the Mickey confetti. We gathered some on our last trip, and I've since scattered them around the house. I'll come across one every now and then, and it brings a smile to my face!

That was DD's favorite. She kept stooping down and picking up all she could after each parade.

For me, it was napkins from the F&W festival. They make a great accent on the bar.

battle beast
10-08-2007, 12:02 PM
I don't really have one, but I do take the toiletries... (who doesn't?)

and I ALWAYS keep my pass into the parks (from Disneyland it's a paper swip card with a magnetic strip, fromWDW it's palastic). :thumbsup:

wedway76
10-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Besides a soap or two and a handful of napkins, the biggie for us is the room key.

Von-Drake
10-08-2007, 12:26 PM
I remember as a child when we stayed at the Contemporary Resort, at the food stop on the first floor the Orange Juice would come in little plastic shaped oranges, with plastic green leaves on top with a straw. I remember taking these home and for a time it was all my sister and I wanted to drink OJ out of. :mickey: ahh the memories as a child.

McGoofy
10-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Well, thanks to all of you napkin "theives":secret:, I don't feel guilty anymore! We always grab extra napkins here and there. It is so cool to every now and then throw one in DS's lunch box for school or my lunch box for work. It helps spread the magic out from trip to trip.

The other freebie that is really cool for us, is the Kidcot masks from Epcot. You can see my son's artwork design from age 2 to now age 9. We have them as a decoration on the wall in his playroom.

tyandskyesmom
10-08-2007, 01:15 PM
The plactic kid's meal bowls shaped like Mickey's head...they use them for meals at home!

kathiep
10-08-2007, 02:08 PM
OMG - I never thought about taking the Mickey Head plates!

jpH/keD
10-08-2007, 05:34 PM
I just had a memory flash from my only childhood trip in 1975!! My brother and I also had those orange shaped sippers !! I think its still around somewhere! I LOVE this thread! I have read every post!! You people are right up my ally:cloud9: I took all the soaps last time and still have some for my guest bathroom! I NEVER thought of the coasters!! My friend's son loves Goofy so we will look for the spoons! Thanks again for a great thread!:rocks:

Rayadragon
10-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Suddenly I don't feel so bad about the collection of napkins my mom has at home from our previous trips. We've still got plenty of Mickey shampoo and handsoap, and we even have some old (really old) containers of hand lotion. We're all scared to open them at this point.

One not particularly sanctioned freebie was from a many many years ago trip to CBR (probably the first or second year they were open). My mom decided she liked the food trays (there were 3 or 4 different colors then) so my dad decided to "borrow some" by using them to carry food from the food court backto our room.

kbean
10-08-2007, 05:59 PM
I like to collect the park maps over the years.

Dawneeeey
10-08-2007, 06:57 PM
I collect stirrers, napkins, coasters, toiletries for scrapbooking, along with park maps and even fast passes. I have kept every park pass, paper and plastic.

Another cool freebie that I have never asked for was Mickey stickers that a CM gave me when I needed a band-aid for a blister at first-aid. :mickey:

Oh - and shower caps. But really I collect them from any hotel. They make great covers for my kitchen aid stand mixer! :thumbsup:

PNWmom
10-08-2007, 07:05 PM
Toiletries for scrapbooking? How do you do this?

cal5755
10-08-2007, 07:58 PM
I thought I was the only one with fastpasses lol. We have one from test track and one for goofy barnstormer (when that broke down they gave us 3 passes and each pass was good for 3 people). We also collect confetti, napkins, stickers (we have tons of mickey and princesses), button pins, shampoo, soaps and yes we save all of our key cards. We also keep our luggage tags from every year and dh keeps our airline stubs. Oh and not to mention the tons of park maps we have... it amazes me that the kids NEVER get tired of looking at the park maps. Oh wait I almost forgot.. we have magical moments certificates that the kids get on their trips... we love those too!! I am wondering if Autogpraphs count.. the book costs but the autographs are free lol.

EPCOT84
10-08-2007, 08:59 PM
.. my favorite is a leaf that blew right in my lap during the safari. All that stuff is in my "box" waiting for DD to scrapbook for me. Everytime I look at that leaf, I remember that we were stopped for the giraffe that was in the middle of the road, and that leaf shared the moment.

That's a wonderful memory. Thank you for sharing it.:tink:

By the way, I saw the Mickey confetti on Main Street and thought about scooping some up but felt shy about it. Now I know others do these things too ! I've got tons of napkins, cups (from each park when each one was different), plates, popcorn boxes... I'm not as crazy as my friends think ! Yipee I found my place !:figment:

EPCOT84
10-08-2007, 09:04 PM
I like to collect the park maps over the years.

Oh yeh, :cloud9:those too ! I saw the retro Epcot map (was it on this site or somewhere else?) issued 10/1 and reminded me of the actual ones. Early on, they had a cardboard one with a spinning wheel with all the pavillion descriptions. That is one of my cherished souvenirs.

EPCOT84
10-08-2007, 09:07 PM
I thought I was the only one with fastpasses lol.

Great idea - another one I should have collected. !:bang: Ok, next time. ;)

EPCOT84
10-08-2007, 09:13 PM
I just had a memory flash from my only childhood trip in 1975!! My brother and I also had those orange shaped sippers !! I think its still around somewhere! I LOVE this thread! I have read every post!! You people are right up my ally:cloud9: I took all the soaps last time and still have some for my guest bathroom! I NEVER thought of the coasters!! My friend's son loves Goofy so we will look for the spoons! Thanks again for a great thread!:rocks:

Wow, you're memory flash triggered another - from Disneyland. This is going to date me: Upjohn Pharmacy used to have a store on Mainstreet U.S.A. where they gave out bottles of "vitamins", actually orange candy. I used to look forward to getting new ones each time we visited:wave: I am really enoying my visit to INTERCOT :rocks:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
10-08-2007, 10:43 PM
The stickers the CM's give out to kids. :thumbsup:
My kids love to bring them home to make their autograph books for next year (We make our own out of index card books. :thumbsup:) and also put them on their homework folders to get a little dose of Disney each night.

We got some new ones last month. Usually we only get Mickey, this trip we got some Princesses too.

**Woo Hoo...This is my 1000th post!!** (My DH is just sitting here shaking his head at me. I think he thinks I am nuts...lol)

tinklover
10-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Our last trip to the World was in May of this year and we got caught in a down pour:rain: in CHINA. we got the rain ponchos:mickey: and we still use them at home and have been asked several times where we got them. We also brought home napkins and i carefully took the confetti out of both DD's hair when we got back to the hotel after haveing a visit in the barber shop. the confetti is now in a scrap book with pics of teh trip and a napkin and our expired photo pass cards. we now always have a lil bit of magic:magic: at home. we also got the DD's cinderella dresses at the orlando walmart for them to wear in the park( cheaper then going to bibbity bobbity boutique) and we put them in a shadow box with their individual pics of them with cindy and they are hanging over their beds. I know that these wer enot freebies but I thought I could share an idea for future visitors.

wedway76
10-09-2007, 09:49 AM
I remember as a child when we stayed at the Contemporary Resort, at the food stop on the first floor the Orange Juice would come in little plastic shaped oranges, with plastic green leaves on top with a straw.

:number1:

YES! YES!! I forgot all about those!!!! They sold them in a lot of places!!!! Thanks for reminding me of that!!!!

LibertyTreeGal
10-09-2007, 09:58 AM
I thought for sure someone would have mentioned our favorite freebie -- Robots from Innoventions at Epcot!

DizNee143
10-09-2007, 10:07 AM
me and my family are guilty of napkin stealing..there are times we have enough to last us a year...we grab that many!! lol..and of course i usually keep my key also..but the napkins are the big thing for us..:mickey:

PNWmom
10-09-2007, 10:21 AM
My favorite is the CM's who will take your picture with your camera any time you ask. That's the only way we were able to get the whole family in the picture.

We also keep maps, tickets, stickers...

Fantasmic
10-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Park Maps, and Shampoo, Key, Park Tickets, Fast Passes, Recipts, Rocks from Epcot's Car Park... these are a few of my favourite things

Roger's #1 Fan
10-09-2007, 10:31 AM
LibertyTreeGal:
I thought for sure someone would have mentioned our favorite freebie -- Robots from Innoventions at Epcot!

I'm looking at mine on my desk at work :mickey:

MickeyandTink
10-09-2007, 11:43 AM
The plactic kid's meal bowls shaped like Mickey's head...they use them for meals at home!

Yeah, we brought a couple of extra ones home to give to my nephews as souveniers (amongst some other things). The CM was real nice and gave us a few clean extras when we asked.

Of course! DD6, DW and I each made one and brought it home. Of course DD6 and DS2 (who didn't go this time, but maybe next year?) have undone and rebuilt them several times so no telling what they originally looked like.:D

I also forgot one other great freebee. At the animation studions, next to VOTLM in MGM, they have an area where you learn to draw a Disney character. It is led by a Disney animator and you actually draw one of the characters on a special sheet of paper and get to take it home with you. When we were there two weeks ago, we drew Goofy's head. DW's was really amazing and DD6 did a very good job as well. It was a lot of fun and makes a very special and original souvenier. Now framing it is another matter :D

If you decide to do it, though, I would strongly suggest getting some sort of cardboard tube to protect it. Even a paper towel roll holder would probably work.

Gottaluvgoof
10-09-2007, 11:51 AM
The robots at Innoventions were a HUGE hit this year. My kids are already excited about next years trip. They want to make more robots. Also, the toiletries for sure. I did one of my bathrooms in Steamboat Mickey. The Mickey soap bars come in handy.

wedway fan
10-09-2007, 01:56 PM
i've got about a dozen drink stirrers from the contemporary from our last few trips- come in handy from time to time. look forward to grabbing some new ones from the poly in april.

tinkerbell04
10-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Ok...I am a scrapbooker and I am glad to know that there are other fanatics out there with napkins, confetti, fast passes and coasters! I have one that is really my DD's. At Old Key West and the Boardwalk, the front desk gives away helium baloons in the morning. My daughter no only loves the balloons, she collects the "weights" They are plastic Mickey shaped heads that she has played countless games with for hours! We have also used them at birthday parties to weigh down balloons! Maybe other resorts do this as well, these are just the two that came to mind for me.

Ps....I alos like the Mickey shaped straws that the chocolate covered marshmallows come on!

JWB3
10-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Napkins, coasters, soap/shampoo, and styrofoam-like cups from the room! Now with this thread I can show my DW and DS that I am not the only crazy one - or at least am in good company!! Thank you all!!

8 days and counting!!

Lisaj13
10-10-2007, 04:17 PM
The room key and park passes are in my photo album. I forget where we first saw Mickey shaped confetti, and collected some, but we all thought it was cool. But later we were in the Gear shop in Epcot and when my youngest DD saw that they sold packages of it, she had to have it.

That was almost a year ago and I don't think she's opened it yet. Too precious I guess!

mudpuppysmom
10-10-2007, 07:02 PM
DS has a LARGE collection of robots from Innoventions.

We also usually find napkins and tolietries along with a pen or two.

One thing that we do have a few of is the straws that chocolate covered marshmallows come on -- I think DS gets the marshmallows JUST to get the straw!

DNS
10-10-2007, 07:08 PM
What token (freebie) keepsake do you look forward to getting year after year. For our kids it's the pluto spoon straw from AK. They get them with a frozen lemonaide from a pretzel stand just after getting off of KRR.....they use them all year, and when we go back, they make sure we "refresh" their supply of 'em ......
I can't remember what stand at AK, but we always looked forward to our spoon/straw, but this trip they had quit.

DisneyDudet
10-11-2007, 06:31 AM
My mom does napkins. I do park maps in every different language! It is so much fun!

I also like the wristbands from EMH and MK Parties.

I can't wait to see what else they have out there! I leave in 24 hours!

A Big Kid
10-11-2007, 01:48 PM
The two pounds a week I gain from all the eating I do while I am there.

DizRunner
10-13-2007, 08:47 AM
No wonder the price of things at Disney keeps going up each year. They're having to make up for all of the extra napkins people keep taking. (kidding)

I love this thread. I'm going in January and have gotten some good ideas of things to look for to bring back to help keep the magic alive at home. Thanks.

Never thought of the coasters. I'm trying to remember what they look like but can't think of them. Are they in the value resorts also? I take it, if people are taking them, they must be paper and not something REALLY nice. Anyway, I'll keep my eye out for them.

N2DisneyWorld
10-13-2007, 10:45 PM
I am so glad that I am not the only person who stocks up with the napkins. I keep them in my car. With a child, I am always in need of napkins in my car.

We also have a collection of the Safari Pluto Straws. We always got them with our Root Beer floats at a wagon outside of Kali River Rapis in AK. One year, they had Safari Mickey straws. We also got our floats in the AK cups. I love those cups.

I too liked collecting the cups in MK (when they used to have one for each land). I love drinking out of my plastic Disney cups. They are the perfect size.

The robots from Innoventions are neat too.

I love Disney :mickey: and I love Intercot :rocks:!!

Iluvpooh
10-13-2007, 11:16 PM
well it's not really a freebie but we got popcorn from epcot that came in the huge buckets. we saved the buckets and my kids enjoy movie time with popcorn in thier mickey mouse buckets. :popcorn:

Us too. We have Epcot with Figment and Spectromagic and a couple of "Share a Dream Come True" buckets. I love them and after a few years in the dishwasher, they still look new.
I am looking forward to this year to get some new ones.

Iluvpooh
10-13-2007, 11:19 PM
The room key and park passes are in my photo album. I forget where we first saw Mickey shaped confetti, and collected some, but we all thought it was cool. But later we were in the Gear shop in Epcot and when my youngest DD saw that they sold packages of it, she had to have it.

That was almost a year ago and I don't think she's opened it yet. Too precious I guess!

Probably after the opening of MK. I picked a bunch of it up and used it in my scrapbook. The guy that was trying to sweep it up looked at me kind of strange.:blush: