PDA

View Full Version : Training for the Disney Marathon

DisneyDudet
10-07-2007, 05:03 AM
OK, my dad and I are planning to do the 2009 Disney Marathon to celebrate my dad turning 50. This will be our first marathon, but we've done many 5Ks, but only walked those in less than an hour. I know at the first 5k mark, it is 1 hour and 3 min, but I'm pretty sure we can't keep that pace the whole time.

How do people finish the race and take pictures all at the same time? I don't want to be one of those who get picked up and taken to the finish line, and not get an awesome medal.

Any tips?

MissStyles
10-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Hi! Are you planning on running or walking the marathon? If you want to walk it, I dont think you'd be able to finish because I believe you have to keep a 15 minute mile pace the entire time in order to finish before they start picking people up. If you need tips on teaching yourself to run I'd be glad to help. If you want to walk it perhaps you should look into the half marathon (still a good 13.1 miles). Happy training!!!!! :rope:

mttafire
10-08-2007, 12:10 PM
All i can say is this.... As a Professional firefighter i am in pretty good shape. I run, work out, ETC. However, I could never do a marathon. Be proud of yourselves! That WILL be an amazing accomplishment!:thumbsup:

teambricker04
10-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Good for you two!!!

My DH is planning on running it. It will be his 4th marathon. He really wants to do this next January, but he will still be in school for his MBA and there won't be time to really train.

I was going to train too, but am not a runner and now I am rethinking the whole thing. I DO know when he crosses the finish line I will be there balling like a little baby.

He suggests the book "4 Months to a 4 hour Marathon" and keeping a log of what you eat and your work outs. He is sure that if people who want to do it and put their minds to it, they can.

I do agree if you are planning on walking, then do the 13.1. You will feel just as accomplished.

Good luck, and I am sure we'll see you at the finish line!!

PS... although he has never had to be carried over the finish line, my DH has not been in picture taking mode!

jsdt
10-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Are the dates for the 2009 marathon and 1/2 marathon public yet? Also does anyone know when and/or how to register?

Melanie
10-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Are the dates for the 2009 marathon and 1/2 marathon public yet? Also does anyone know when and/or how to register?

I'd look for them to go up right around Marathon Weekend 2008.

anewvision
10-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Hi! Are you planning on running or walking the marathon? If you want to walk it, I dont think you'd be able to finish because I believe you have to keep a 15 minute mile pace the entire time in order to finish before they start picking people up. If you need tips on teaching yourself to run I'd be glad to help. If you want to walk it perhaps you should look into the half marathon (still a good 13.1 miles). Happy training!!!!! :rope:

Hi MissStyles, Glad to see another running
person from JAX that is a Disney fan. I'am sure
theres more. Do you plan to do the Gate next
year?

DisneyDudet
10-10-2007, 09:44 AM
We are planning to do a run/walk combination.

Dad is already training with the run walk method with his boss from work who does marathons, and that is how he does it.

I just need super motivation to start training! I am going to start up again after we get back from Disney next week!

Thanks for the responses. I will be looking for that book! I hope to keep up!

MissStyles
10-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Hi MissStyles, Glad to see another running
person from JAX that is a Disney fan. I'am sure
theres more. Do you plan to do the Gate next
year?

Hi!! I'm not sure, I'm fairly new to the area. (Moved here in Jan). I am signed up for the Jacksonville Half Marathon on December 16th. It's my first Half Marathon and I'm excited! I hope to run the Disney Marathon in 2009!!!!

anewvision
10-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Hi!! I'm not sure, I'm fairly new to the area. (Moved here in Jan). I am signed up for the Jacksonville Half Marathon on December 16th. It's my first Half Marathon and I'm excited! I hope to run the Disney Marathon in 2009!!!!

Great MissStyles, My name is Bobby. I am one
of the board of directors, For the club that
has been responsible for putting on the Gate
River Run every march since 1978. So let me
invite you to join are club JTC Running. At
jtcrunning.com

my e-mail is Please send a PM to the poster if wanting email address!

SAHDad
10-10-2007, 08:24 PM
One thing to keep in mind NOW is to think about the weather. I have been told that the marathon weekend seems to run hot one year, cold the next - and 2007 was a warm weekend.

I have heard, however, that when the weather is warm, Disney puts out a lot more water, and tries to keep the runners going. The fact that it's a 6 am start also helps, because the first hour or so is in the predawn.

I'm doing the Goofy challenge (half and full marathons) in January, and it will be my third completed marathon. (It should have been the fourth, but I bonked at Chicago on Sunday and had to take a DNF.) Anyway, if you want training tips, or have any questions, feel free to ask.

DisneyDudet
10-10-2007, 08:50 PM
I have read many reports about last years marathon, with record highs. They said that those in the later corrals did not get water on the last few water station. Some noticed runners asking for water from cars!!! I can't imagine. Disney should have prepared for the heat that day.

I know about the crazy weather in Jan, as we went in 2003 and were there the marathon weekend, and there were freeze warnings, as opposed to Jan 2006 when it was very nice, but hot one day. I mean, starting now, I can train in all types of weather.

I would love some tips, especially how you first started training, and how long it took you to get there. I don't want a spectacular time, I'm not qualifying for anything. I just want to finish within the time frame, get that medal, and feel so good about myself.

Melanie
10-10-2007, 10:33 PM
I know about the crazy weather in Jan, as we went in 2003 and were there the marathon weekend, and there were freeze warnings, as opposed to Jan 2006 when it was very nice, but hot one day. I mean, starting now, I can train in all types of weather.

When my hubby did the Goofy Challenge in '06, it was downright freezing the morning of the half. :freeze: The morning of the full was a little better, but still chilly.

SAHDad
10-10-2007, 10:33 PM
I have read many reports about last years marathon, with record highs. They said that those in the later corrals did not get water on the last few water station. Some noticed runners asking for water from cars!!! I can't imagine. Disney should have prepared for the heat that day.

That would still be better than how Chicago fared. Apparently, they ran out of water and Gatorade early on - as in, by the time the 4:30 and 5:00 hour runners came through the second aid station, it's was near empty. Chicago cancelled the race about 4 hours in, and for some odd reason, they chose to place all the sponges, ice, misting tents, etc in the final few miles of the race, instead of spreading them out. Hence, I bonked. Just too little relief in too warm a temp.

Chicago doesn't start until 8 though, so the sun was beating down on us in the corrals. Disney is much better, with a 6 am start. I've heard from some other slower runners that last year was a bit dodgy, but they said they could always get water.

And you should. It will help. Jan 2006 was darned cold at 4 am though. :freeze:

I would love some tips, especially how you first started training, and how long it took you to get there. I don't want a spectacular time, I'm not qualifying for anything. I just want to finish within the time frame, get that medal, and feel so good about myself.

Well, I ran XC back in high school, so when I started training for my first race (a half-marathon), I pretty much hopped on a treadmill and started adding miles and speed. Probably not a good way to go though.

I'll do some hunting for resources, but if you are aiming for completion, rather than a time (which is a fine goal for any first time marathoner, actually - and aiming to finish without long-term injury should always be a goal, regardless of how fast you get), you probably want to do a walk/run or run/walk program.

For the first week, get out and walk, about 20-30 minutes at a shot, and at a fairly brisk pace. If you can already do this, then you want to start doing something like "Walk 4 or 5 minutes, jog 1 or 2 minutes," and repeat until you hit 20 or 30 minutes. Jog means just that - you want to be moving faster than a walk, but not so quickly that you cannot hold a conversation, and you should not be so winded that you cannot resume your brisk walk in between the jogs.

What you will eventually be doing is stretching those walks to 30-45 minutes for 3-4 times per week, and then one increasingly longer walk/run, where you will start working at adding mileage. I think I have a schedule for that somewhere - my wife is doing the run/walk thing for the Disney marathon, so I might just retype hers.

(If you are an active adult, who already runs, then let me know - my advice will be quite different, naturally.)

DisneyDudet
10-11-2007, 06:43 AM
Well, I'm 23 and I don't run much. We do a handful of 5K's as a family walking in less than an hour throughout the year. So its not like we're NOT active!

I like the run/walk idea you have. Do you think that if I start next week that I will be able to finish by Jan 2009 if I keep up with the training?

Thanks for all your help!

SAHDad
10-11-2007, 08:15 AM
I like the run/walk idea you have. Do you think that if I start next week that I will be able to finish by Jan 2009 if I keep up with the training?

With 15 months to train? You should certainly have a pretty good shot at finishing the 2009 marathon. That's more than enough time to train for a run/walk program - though you may as well get started earlier, rather than later.