PDA

View Full Version : Marrakesh review

tinksmom02
10-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Here's a bonus meal! Mark's great-aunts live about an hour away from WDW, so I sent them a copy of our itinerary. They chose to share our Epcot day with us.

Cast:
Me, 31
Mark 37
Jenna, 5
Aunt Marlene and Aunt Gig (a LOT older than us LOL)

Upon meeting up with them, Marlene asked me where we were eating dinner. I just stared at her blankly, then tried to explain free dining. We headed to Guest Relations to find out what was available. To my surprise, some restaurants did have some tables available, they were just really late. The ones that were available when we wanted to eat were Nine Dragons and Marrakesh. Marlene didn't enjoy ND (and no offense, but I feel like we can get Chinese anywhere), so we made ADR's for Marrakesh for 4:30. Marlene was very nervous about eating here, but I know that many people here on Icot love it, so I was excited.

Just about 4:30, we arrive to check-in and are told at the front desk that all the computers are down. There’s a binder out front with photos of the menu items, so we take turns seeing what looks good.

Surprisingly, our name is called after only a few minutes, and we’re seated in the nearly-empty dining room. The people sitting at the table next to us are a couple with two small children who sleep in their strollers throughout the parents’ entire meal. Lucky them! I hope they enjoyed that break!

Marlene is feeling a little more reassured about the menu after seeing the pictures outside. We order drinks (Gig wanted to sample a Moroccan beer, but sadly, they hd run out)--Mark and I ordered specialty drinks, I can’t remember what they were, but we enjoyed them. Gig and Marlene ordered soup as appetizers. For dinner Marlene and I ordered the lemon chicken, Mark got chicken kebabs, and Gig gets the shish kebabs. Nothing on the children’s menu appealed to Jenna, so I politely asked if she can get a plate of plain pasta, with butter. Our server is happy to oblige.

While we wait for our food, we enjoy the live entertainment. There’s Moroccan music, and, as promised, a belly dancer comes out to entertain the crowd. We’re enjoying the atmosphere, and then our food comes. Everyone enjoys their meal--Marlene and I agree that the Lemon Chicken is absolutely huge (we could have easily shared one between the two of us) and practically boneless. We’re almost completely finished with the chicken before we find a bone. Gig and Mark enjoy their kebabs, as well. Jenna eats some of her pasta, but surprise! She tastes my chicken, and decides she likes that more (she fights me tooth and nail every time I serve chicken at home), so she helps me with my meal.

I’m almost too stuffed for dessert, but Marlene and Gig are ordering, and I don’t want them to feel bad for eating by themselves ;), so I order as well. They order the Marrakesh delight, which isfruit salad topped with mint ice cream, toasted almonds and orange blossom water. I order the Bastilla, which is pastry sheets topped with vanilla oce cream and toasted almonds. Delicious! The pastry was almost like phyllo dough, thin, crispy sheets. By themselves they didn’t have much taste at all, but adding the ice cream and toasted almonds made this a wonderful dessert. Jenna enjoyed it, too LOL Marlene and Gig enjoyed their desserts, as well. Again, they could have shared--the portions were huge!

Marlene and Gig graciously offered to pick up the tab for dinner (actually, they weren’t very gracious at all. We were told they were paying, and we could fight them if we wanted, but we would lose. LOL), so I don’t really know what it cost, but I’m guessing it had to be around $150 before tip. So a bonus free meal ROFLOL

I know Marrakesh has been recommended highly by many people, but it’s not a restaurant I would have picked if I had my choice. Still, I’m very glad that we ended up here. It was good to branch out a little. We were all pleasantly surprised, and I can see why it’s considered an unknown treasure.

Natazu
10-07-2007, 05:21 AM
Great review. Makes me want to try the place.

kim1st
10-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Sounds like fun - and it sounds pretty kid friendly. I'm thinking this goes on the list for our next trip. :thumbsup:

"SULLEY "RULES!!
10-07-2007, 09:22 AM
My husband and I will be trying it for the first time on November 13th.. We've heard many good things about the restaurant and are looking forward in trying it!:wine::yes:

Jared
10-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Glad to hear you had a nice experience. My family tried Restaurant Marrakesh a few years ago and enjoyed the food, but we probably will not return.

:tasty:

LoriMistress
10-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the review. DH and I cannot wait until December!

amorillo
10-07-2007, 06:21 PM
This is one of our favorite restaurants! I have two picky-eaters and they both love this place! I have to admit... on more than one trip we have eaten here twice! DS even chose this as the restaurant he wanted to eat at for his 11th b-day dinner! We have never had a bad meal! :thumbsup:

tinksmom02
10-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Great review. Makes me want to try the place.

LOL All I could think of after we made this ADR was your top 7 lists! LOL

Mnchknbrat1982
10-08-2007, 12:12 AM
glad you had a great meal and got to spend the day with relatives!

BelleLovesTheBeast
10-08-2007, 01:33 AM
We ate there on our trip. I thought the food was okay but the entertainment was great. The belly dancer and musicians were so good. Also the restaurant was beautiful. I will say the mint iced tea is a must.

KarenP
10-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Sounds like I need to give this place a try. Thanks for your review!

Caroleh
10-08-2007, 10:42 AM
My DH is of Moroccan decent and this is a must for us. We both love Moroccan food!!!

Crow
10-08-2007, 11:01 AM
i just ate there also a few wks ago and liked it. no wait, not too crowded and good service and food.
glad you liked it

MickeyandTink
10-08-2007, 02:20 PM
We didn't eat at Marrakesh during our Sept. trip, but did have lunch one day at the Tangerine cafe. It took a while to get our food (not the restaurant's fault, there were three extremely high maintenance young women ahead of us who had to each have a custom made dish), but it was worth the wait. The lamb and chicken were both excellent and the tabouleh salad was very good. The baklava dessert was as good as any I've had before.

Marakesh will definitely be on our list of potential dining places for next year.