PDA

View Full Version : Akershus breakfast review

tinksmom02
10-06-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm sorry that my reviews tend to be long, I want to pass along as much of our experience as I can!

Here goes! Up nice and early again this morning, but apparently not early enough, as we have to power-walk to our ADR at Akershus! We’re actually about 5 minutes late (we were supposed to be there at 8:35), but the host tells us no problem. We’re told to wait in front of the restaurant, and before too long, our “royal” family is called to be seated. First we get in line so Jenna can meet Belle (yellow bal gown), then we sit down. We’re told our server will be right with us. Alas, this is not the case. Two other tables are seated and waited on, and we have to complain to a host, before our server comes over to us. We are given OJ right away, and she returns promptly with coffee for me. As usual, Mark and I tackle the buffet separately; I head up with Jenna while Mark waits at the table, and then we switch. The buffet has pastries, fruit, and cheeses on it; the hot items were brought to the table family-style. I had an apple Danish (more than one, if I have to be honest LOL) that was pretty good.

By this time our server is back with our hot foods. While on line for the buffet I spotted Snow White, but that was it. I asked the server how many princesses we can expect to see. She has no clue, and goes off to find out. In the twenty-plus minutes she’s gone, we get our answer. In short order we see Snow White, Aurora, Jasmine, and Mulan. Jenna is very excited to tell them all about her loose tooth, and some of the princesses make a big deal over it--especially Snow White and Mulan. We got some good pictures, and opted not to purchase the PhotoPass pictures that were taken with Belle before we sat down.

The food was OK, nothing special, and certainly not worth the $73.83 it would have cost us if we’d had to pay for it. I mean, it was eggs and bacon! The potatoes were really good, though…actually, I think Disney does a great job with breakfast potatoes in general LOL The eggs weren’t quite as cooked as I would have liked, and the bacon was overdone. Mark joked all week long that I was cooking the bacon…I am notorious for overcooking bacon, and that’s how it was served in every restaurant we ate in! Actually, it didn’t quite taste like real bacon--has Disney switched over to turkey bacon?

In the interim our server returns to tell us what princesses are there today--duh. We actually ask for a second platter of food--Mark was enjoying the sausage, and I the potatoes--and it took a really long time for the second platter to arrive. Our server actually seemed a little put out that we’d asked. I’m sorry, it does state that it’s an all you care to eat meal, correct? (it does, I just checked on info central to verify)

Overall, we weren’t that impressed with our meal. This meal is certainly cheaper than dining with Cinderella at the castle, and we definitely met more princesses here than we did at the castle (out of the 5 characters we met at the Castle last trip, only 2 were princesses). This meal is a good way to meet lots of princesses at once, instead of chasing them all over the park. The service left something to be desired (this was not a server that received an additional tip from me). Would we return? I don’t know, I don’t think so. But maybe, if Jenna wanted to dine with the princesses!

Although, if we were to return, I would pick an early ADR time again. We left and the line was stretching out all through Norway. Each time we walked past Norway for the rest of the day (and Friday when we visited), the line very long for this restaurant. But, it was the free DDP period, so that may be why.

And i know I've been negative of my last two reviews, but a postive one is to follow, I promise!

MickeyandTink
10-08-2007, 02:43 PM
I'm sorry your dining experience was not great. We did the dinner at Akershus on 9/24 and it was the best meal of the trip. Service was fantastic, and the princesses were great. DD6 got her hat signed by Ariel (her number one favorite princess) at the beginning, and pictures and autographs with Snow White, Aurora, Cinderella, Belle and Alice.

The cold plate buffet had some of the best seafood dishes I've ever had and the venison sirloin was melt in the mouth delicious. The dessert plate, served family style, was very good as well. The only complaint I had was the exhorbitant price for the photo pass picture taken at the beginning. It was a very good picture with a nicely done cardboard "frame" and it was with DD's favorite princess, but $31.95? You've got to be kidding me. I would have been willing to pay $15, maybe even $20, for the picture, but not more than the meal cost per person.

Outside of that, though, no complaints. Akershus is a definite "must do" for our next trip.

KarenP
10-08-2007, 03:22 PM
I have not read many reviews on this character meal so thanks for posting. Sorry your experience was not better but at least your daughter enjoyed the princesses.

Mnchknbrat1982
10-08-2007, 05:15 PM
sorry you had a bad server! But at least some of the food was good.

ginger19
10-09-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. We were there on 10/02 and had the opposite experience.
Our waiter was very attentive and even had the kids giving him "thumbs up" which they are still doing as of this morning. The food was cooked fine although the bacon wasn't great and we got it right away. Just as we finished eating, the same 5 princesses you had came to the table. Mulan was wonderful with the kids and really spent time talking to them.
We were not charged for my DD who is 2 which was a nice surprise and I used the DDE card which made it a decent price.
I would do this breakfast again (hopefully without the pouring rain).