PDA

View Full Version : vehicle shipping

Disneymom65
10-06-2007, 10:07 PM
My son my go to college across country. I am considering using a car shipping service instead of driving all that way. Has anyone ever used this type of service and did you have good results?

ldn324
10-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Last fall I shipped my classic car from GA to PA. We used a guy from just outside of Atlanta who hauls cars long distance. DH met him on an automotive restoration message board. I would definitely use him again and I felt more comfortable using a small, independent guy rather than one of the larger companies. No chance of your car getting lost in the shuffle that way.

He was very reasonable - $800 for the round trip. I'm sure his prices vary depending on the cost of gas at any given time.

I took out shipping insurance that covers automobiles being shipped. I believe it was $150. Some of the larger transport companies say that they insure, but we were advised to take out our own policy just to be safe.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like the contact information for the guy we used.

Scar
10-08-2007, 09:39 AM
My boss used Southern Auto Transport to ship his daughter's car from Colorado to New Jersey. $800 one way. Everything went fine.

When I was 18 (1983), I drove by myself from New Jersey to Sarasota Fla and back again (stopping off of course at WDW) . It was a great experience and a memory that I have always cherished. If your son is responsible and adventuresome, I'm sure he would enjoy the drive across country.

DisneyDog
10-08-2007, 10:28 AM
We had one of our cars shipped to Florida when we moved down there. The put it up on a truck with other cars being shipped. I'm sure this was a strange occurrence, but the driver quit 1/2 way down I-95 and left all of the cars on the side of the highway! For a few days we didn't know where our car was. When we finally got it back, it was filthy, caked in mud, like it had been dragged through a swamp. Yuck. When we moved back up north a few years later, we just each drove a car because we didn't want to go through that again.

Ian
10-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Before he passed away, my Father used to race cars and he frequently used transport services.

We never had a bad experience. The costs were comparable to what's mentioned above, but of course that varies with distance, gas prices, etc.