PDA

View Full Version : MLB Batting Helmets

alphamommy
10-06-2007, 02:02 AM
Let me start this by admitting that I am old. I understand and accept this.

What the heck are players doing to their batting helmets these days? Some look like they've been blow torched! What's the point of "destroying" them?

Thanks,
Tammy

RedSoxandPatsfan
10-06-2007, 07:06 AM
It is pine tar on top of their helmets. They use this to make their hands sticky so they can hold the bats loosely. Some put it on top of their helmet so that they can get more on their hands when they adjust their helmet. I do agree though that it seems to be getting out of hand with some players, but I doubt MLB will do anything about it.

GBBT
10-10-2007, 08:38 PM
I agree with you Tammy! I e-mailed MLB last year about this and never received an answer.I think it's a disgrace to the sport.You would never have seen Ruth,Cobb,Clemente,Mays,Aaron,Banks(you get my drift) do anything like that to the uniforms.

Thumper03
10-25-2007, 08:26 PM
I think it's a disgrace to the sport.You would never have seen Ruth,Cobb,Clemente,Mays,Aaron,Banks(you get my drift) do anything like that to the uniforms.

Cobb was famous for sharpening his spikes and then sliding with them high to gouge infielders. I bet he would have put pine tar anywhere he could for an advantage.