PDA

View Full Version : POR or Tent at Wilderness?

tink03
10-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Hey everyone my DH wants to try something new. I am allowed to have my yearly Disney vaca if I agree to try new things. He has his heart set on going to Wilderness in a pop-up or a tent. I already re-booked us at POR for next Sept. Has anyone else done the tent thing or pop-up? And if so is it too hot? Are there lots of bugs? Are there gators crawling around:confused: I love the idea of camping I am just so worried that it will have us all miserable :thedolls: instead of Disney happy:mickey: Help please!!

BW Fan
10-05-2007, 08:35 PM
I only have one thought. Are you nuts!

POR is beautiful, serene, totally Disney. A pop-up tent is a pop-up tent. You can do that in much more camp like settings than DW.

Figaro
10-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Is it hot? )) Depends on when you go...

Bugs? )) Some. Lovebugs are out about this time.

Gators? )) I work Bay Lake Recreation, which is Contemporary, Lodge, and Fort. I've personally never seen one when working Dock at any of these resorts, but Lake Patrol guys have said they've seen a few here and there. Do they go crawling into FW? Not that I'm aware of, I've never heard of it. I've also gone swimming in the lake, and have had no problem, so I don't think you would. :thumbsup:

Will you enjoy it? )) Sure! FW has a lot to do. You have the pool, you have the streams in the resort you can rent canoes or kayaks, you can rent bicycles and fishing poles, you can rent a golf cart (be sure you make reservations for one as soon as you decide you are going, they go quickly and go up to a year in advance.) You can go to the Hoop-Dee-Doo Review and Mickeys Backyard BBQ, You can relax on the beach (which really, its a beautiful beach and very relaxing). There's a jogging trail thru the resort which makes for a nice walk or jog. You can of course visit Chip and Dale at the movie to wrap up your evening! As far as I know, campgrounds do have electrical outlets and water. You can even book a cabin if you'd like. You have restrooms, laundry, showers, ice and phones at comfort stations. Buses do circle the resort all day and provide outlets to other bus routes. You can optionally take the boat to MK and/or other resorts.

Overall, it's not your average camping experience. It's a lot better and it's Disney! :thumbsup: :mickey: If you have more ques, i'd be happy to help... :thumbsup:

Ms.Disney
10-06-2007, 12:17 AM
POR!!!!! We just back from POR on 9/15 and it was great! It is so beautiful and we would stay there again in a heart beat! Now just as another poster has said camping in a tent is well...camping in a tent. If you are going in Sept. then yes it will be very hot. We live here in Orlando and we are still in the 90's in Oct. (yea its hot). If you really wanted to camp I would go in Dec. What ever you decide have a great trip :mickey:

Sinewiz
10-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Another vote for POR. I stayed there last April and had an absolutely wonderful time! As much as I love Disney World, staying in a tent would make it less than a "magical time: :down:

mttafire
10-06-2007, 12:27 AM
Man has learned through the years to build.
Man has learned to heat and cool and provide plumbing.
I see no reason to camp when you can stay indoors nice and cool, clean and a BED!!!:blush:

ToDisney
10-06-2007, 04:54 PM
:laughing:I think the only way you'll get a vote for the pop up camper is to go over to the camping forum.
I have been to FWL and stayed in a cabin, it is really fun and nice, but we LOVE POR!!! It is our favorite resort.
:mickey:

GrmGrninGost
10-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Let's see... WDW moderate resort, or a camp sight. Hmmmm, let me see... Are you kidding me? We just got back from POR and there is NO WAY you will convince me a tent or pop-up is going to match it! POR is one of the most beautiful sights at WDW, and it has wonderful, comfortable beds! It also has air conditioning, heat, and indoor plumbing! Also, there are no armadillos to crawl into your tent. I had this happen at Fort Wilderness some years back. Now that created quite a ruckus! Any way, I would go POR, but I'm sure it'll be a great trip either way!! :mickey:

BugeyedMuggy
10-08-2007, 09:52 AM
4 years ago we drove down & pulled our 25 ft camper. We went for 2 weeks but I never felt like I was in Disney when I went back to the camper. No bed made or room cleaned when you get back from the parks. We love to camp but not in Disney.

McGoofy
10-08-2007, 03:53 PM
I know you are not supposed to "knock it until you've tried it." With that said, I will tell you that I have never camped at Ft. Wilderness, but I have stayed at POR. For me, it just seems that Disney is not the place to take a tent. That's what the mountains are for. (And I do love to camp in the mountains in a tent.) However, after pounding the pavement at the parks all day long, I want my bed to sleep in!:sheep: Not to mention, POR is a moderate resort. That's got to be way better than sleeping in a tent. Florida is hot and humid.:fan: POR has ceiling fan and air conditioning in the room, nice beds, your own personal bathroom & shower, great swimming pool, boat ride to Downtown Disney, etc... The list could just keep going. My vote is certainly for POR!:thumbsup:

Eeyore's My Favorite
10-08-2007, 06:42 PM
We've camped at FW 3x over the years and the only reason we camped there was because we wanted a short vacation & a Disney fix without really going into a park. FW has so much to do that you really don't have to go anywhere unless you want to. But with that said - the first time we camped was when River Country was there & you had a water park on premises & only had to ride your bike to it. We always took our bikes & rode them everywhere. We loved the pools, and the Chip & Dale campfire & movies were always a family favorite!! It was much cheaper then to camp than stay @ a value, but not so much anymore with all the codes & discounts available. I don't know if I'd go camping again unless it was my only way to go to WDW. I'd probably try to compromise with your DH & stay at a value. :mickey:

jennsky
10-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Here's my two cents...

I have stayed at Fort Wilderness MANY MANY times (in a tent, an RV and in the Cabins) and I have also stayed at POFQ.

Yes, obviously PO is beautiful and you will have a good time. But seriously, Fort Wilderness is something to be experienced. Go check out the camping boards for even more info, but it is a world unto it's own. Camping in a tent is obviously a little harder on you then staying in a beautiful air conditioned room with a TV and your own bathroom and shower. BUT, the Comfort Stations at Fort Wilderness are kept nice and clean. The campsites have electricity, so we brought a toaster to make our breakfast in the morning and we had an orange extension cord running to power our Koolatron (portable powered cooler). I think you mentioned you were going in September. It will probably be pretty hot out and therefore rather hot inside your tent. It's hurricane season then too, no? So, maybe a tent isn't the wisest choice. But what about the Cabins at Fort Wilderness? They are a home away from home...with your own kitchen, your own deck, grill, bathroom, etc. Would you guys be up to that? You can even rent a golf cart to cruise around Fort Wilderness. Maybe check them out.

Either way, if you're at Disney, you'll have fun. I guess it comes down to how much "roughing" it you're prepared for. Have a good time!

#1donaldfan
10-09-2007, 09:46 PM
POR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To us it's the best.......I couldn't get my family in a tent if I tried....in FL, I would have to have the AC....so no tent......sorry I didn't help......have a good vacation which ever way you choose...:mickey:

KylesMom
10-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Although we have never been camping in September at Disney, I have noticed two major things from the Trip Reports which are being posted from September. They are:

1) HEAT
and
2) RAIN

I don't think tent camping would be very fun with a combination of the two of these elements! :D

LONESTAR
10-21-2007, 11:59 PM
I always stay in fort wilderness and love it but I have a 5th wheel trailer. However I grew up going in a pop up with a/c and heat, but had to go to the comfort station (very clean) for the restroom and shower. After me and the DW got married I took her to disney for her first time (which she loved); however we stayed in a tent on the camp site behind my parents trailer. This was in Decmber and a cold front blew in- my wife froze but we had a blast and if that was the only way we could go, we would... but not in the summer (I'm from Texas and its hot enough here). But when we got back we bought a trailer.
If you do stay in fort wilderness, take bikes or rent a golf cart. Hope this helped- by the way, me and the DW tried POP once & it wasn't the same to us but we were just used to at fort wilderness- waiting for a boat to go to the MK, watching the water parade, and seeing MK's fire works every night from the beach. But if your at Disney its fun :party: