PDA

View Full Version : Man who Threatened his Lakeland HS class reunion

murphy1
10-05-2007, 01:50 PM
I know you fellow Floridians probably know about this, very scary! Lakeland is a small town, very nice, about 20 minutes East of Orlando off I-4.

Cops: Lakeland man who threatened reunion had 178 explosives
Amy L. Edwards

The Orlando Sentinel

October 04, 2007

Original The Orlando Sentinel article: Cops: Lakeland man who threatened reunion had 178 explosives
The Lakeland man who was arrested after he threatened to 'make Virginia Tech look like a (expletive) birthday party' and, according to detectives, had more than 150 explosives in his home, told investigators he is 'anti-community,' schizophrenic and likes firearms, the Polk County Sheriff's Office reported today.

Timothy Joseph Vaughn, 39, was arrested Wednesday on one count of aggravated cyber stalking, 178 counts of possession of a destructive device and one count of possession of materials to manufacture a destructive device.

The Sheriff's Office said deputies responded to Vaughn's Lakeland home after he sent a threatening e-mail in response to a Lakeland High School graduation reunion advertisement he received from classmates.com.

The Sheriff's Office today released the text from the Sept. 10 e-mail Vaughn allegedly sent: 'I have been 20 years getting over your preppy (expletive). Nobody talked to me back then so stop talking to me now .I can make Virginia Tech look like a (expletive) birthday party. Stop messing with me!'

The Sheriff's Office said Vaughn told detectives he was drunk when he sent the e-mail, but did not intend to carry out the threat or attend the reunion.

Vaughn told detectives he has multiple personalities, wants to be left alone, and hates all of his former classmates.

Detectives found 178 M-80 and M-100 destructive devices in Vaughn's home, as well as about 700 other various devices under construction.

He is being held at the Polk County Jail without bond.

disneydrmr
10-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Wow, how scary! Glad they caught him... maybe they can get him the help he seems to desperately need....

Jasper
10-05-2007, 03:21 PM
This guy is obviously where he needs to be. Let's just hope they make the bail high enough that he stays there until he gets some SERIOUS help!!

tinkerbellybutton
10-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Yikes!! :jaw: Pretty scary. I hope that this man gets the help that he desperately needs, I am however skeptical that he will get it where he is now... I'm really glad he's been taken off the streets.

bleukarma
10-05-2007, 03:59 PM
His bail is at half a million. I hope they help him! At least he's off the streets. How scary that someone has that much explosives in their house! On the news this morning they said that its enough to bring down the building where the reunion was held. Scary stuff!!

The Bookseller
10-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Glad to see this bloke off the streets. He need help. I am also glad he got caught before he was able to do wrong.

DisneyDog
10-08-2007, 01:16 PM
What I want to know is, if he hates everyone in his class so much, why did he sign up for Classmates.com?

murphy1
10-09-2007, 09:05 AM
Probably to do something, I'm so glad nothing happened. I was worried a couple years ago b/c we had a guy who was on a reunion site saying how horrible people were to him in HS and he went on about how he disliked everyone, I don't remember all of it, but I was talking to a friend about it, luckily it never came to anything and he didn't show up, but I was a little concerned nonetheless, this was in Tampa Bay area.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-12-2007, 11:13 PM
That's pretty scary. Hopefully they don't let him out anytime soon. He obviously needs help. You don't buy that kind of explosives unless you plan on using them.