PDA

View Full Version : Flame Tree BBQ review

TBY2225
10-05-2007, 09:14 AM
We had lunch at Flame Tree BBQ on Friday 9-28 about 12:00. We were on the dining plan. The line didn’t look that long I only had 3 groups in front of me, and I had the nicest cashier of the trip here. She suggested that I get the onion rings as well as fries for snack credits and they turned out to be very good! The problem was the people filling the orders. For some reason they stopped taking the receipts off of our line, so I saw at least 5 or 6 people in each of the other lines get their food before the groups in front of me. Finally someone pointed this out to them and they finally started filling our orders. I think I ended up waiting about 30 minute’s total. DH and I got a turkey sandwich, slaw, and key lime pie to share. DD got hot dog, grapes, and cookie. She shared with DS and we all shared the rings and fries. The sandwich was very good. I loved the smoky meat and the bbq sauce was good as well. The onion rings were really good and we ate all of them. The key lime pie left a lot to be desired. It didn’t taste like much of anything. I saw someone with the ribs and they looked good too! Taste wise, this would have to be my favorite CS of the trip, but service wise it was the worst! DH noticed there were a lot of people complaining about the seating for this CS. It appeared to have three major seating areas – one of which they required the use of stairs. DH mentioned that there was no visible wheel chair ramp to this area. Another quirk that DH noticed was that most of the seating areas were incorporated into the “jungle”. Normally this would have been a nice touch, but it also meant that most people ended up eating without a roof over their heads – unprotected from the elements. Perhaps this isn’t a big deal for most people, but one could only imagine that this raises some issues during less than ideal weather conditions. Fortunately, it was neither windy nor rainy so we were okay. Total cost if OOP $ 17.26

Momof2boys
10-05-2007, 10:13 AM
We eat at Flame Tree each trip. However, one of the boys usually want McDonald's so we carry our trays over to Restaurantasaurus to eat. I love the BBQ and the chocolate cake :) :tasty:

MauiMouse
10-05-2007, 10:20 AM
I've always wanted to eat at Flame Tree but we never ever seem to do it. One of these days. :mickey:

ibrowse17
10-05-2007, 10:28 AM
We enjoy the Flame Tree, and eat there every time we visit AK:thumbsup:

kim1st
10-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Agreed. We liked the food, but it was really challenging the way everything was spread out. It was hard to manage to get lunch for 4 people, plus our two small children, plus the stroller, etc. etc. etc. to a table.

princessM0m
10-05-2007, 10:52 AM
If you are into late lunches/early dinners, go to FT just before the parade. Get your food and sit behind the building, just above the parade route. When it starts, you have a great seat! The food lines are usually very light as well.

Jared
10-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the review. With Tusker House Restaurant closed, Flame Tree Barbeque has become the best counter service option in Animal Kingdom. Next weekend, I'll try it for the first time.

The turkey sandwich does sound good, as does the chicken salad.

:tasty:

DessertDivaFL
10-05-2007, 03:06 PM
OK, you are making me hungry! I love these reviews but I am so hungry!

Gator
10-05-2007, 03:13 PM
As far as my family is concerned, Flame Tree is the best counter service at WDW. A close second is Tangerine, but Flame Tree is soooooo delicious. I'm getting hungry thinking about it.

tomorrowschild
10-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Yumm-oh Flame Tree. We love it. I am happy that you enjoyed the food. I am also happy to hear that they still have the onion rings. I head read that they had gotten rid of them, they are my favs. Anyway sorry about the long wait (that has never happened to us before- and we go in July). Thanks for the review.:mickey:

amorillo
10-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Our family loves the flame tree bbq.... it's a necessary stop on every trip!

MickeyandTink
10-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Agreed. We liked the food, but it was really challenging the way everything was spread out. It was hard to manage to get lunch for 4 people, plus our two small children, plus the stroller, etc. etc. etc. to a table.

:ditto:

We ate there twice. The first time, it took over 45 minutes to get our food from the time we got into line to place an order. Next time, we got in line about 11:30 and it only took less than 15 minutes. It was good, but with no other good options (unless you want McDonalds), plan on eating before 11:30 or after 2:00 if you want to avoid a long wait.

mouseaddict
10-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Flame Tree is our fave as well. The ribs are awesome and we love the rings! They really should do something about the seating though...one time we had to sit under a tree and let's just say that a bird "relieved" itself into my drink..

McGoofy
10-08-2007, 10:53 PM
This is my favorite counter service at AK. I love the BBQ chicken. It was large enough that DS and I could share, and we were both very full. The corn on the cob was yummy too. The seating area that we were in had lots of ducks walking around!

septembergirl
10-09-2007, 11:43 AM
DH and I really enjoyed this CS food also but I agree with you about the wait. It was very crowded when we went and I had to stand in line quite a while. Everything we got was delicious - probably the best in park CS we went to this past trip - but the seating was a real problem. There was no ramp and it was drizzling on and off that day so I was worried we would be sitting in the rain to eat because the seating area with covering was full. AK needs more in the way of food. I am anxious to hear about the new restaurant...

septembergirl
10-09-2007, 11:45 AM
BTW, we really liked the Key Lime pie. I couldn't stop eating it even though I was trying not since we were going to Ohana for dinner later and I didn't want to eat too much for lunch! Go figure...

Crow
10-09-2007, 09:14 PM
my first dining exp at AK few wks ago was here for free dining. i agree the setup isnt too good w the lines. for 1 CS it wasnt bad. if in AK and hungry probably a good choice

Darbylew
10-09-2007, 10:02 PM
We eat at Flame Tree every time we are at AK.
It is soooooo good. We don't mind sitting out
side on a nice day but if it is hot or rainy we
go down to Restaurantosaurs and sit inside most of the time one of the kids wants Macdonalds anyway. :thumbsup:

garthbarth1
10-09-2007, 10:59 PM
We tried to eat there on our last trip. AK had EMH until 7 pm -We were told that Flame Tree was one of the restaurants being open for dinner. We went there at 6:30, walked up right after some people ordered their meals and the cashier turned off the cash register and said "Sorry, we're closed."-and that was the end of that.:confused: It smelled so good, I was very sad!!