PDA

View Full Version : Disney announces Hawaii DVC Resort

Fortgoofy97
10-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Disney to build Hawaii resort
Luxury family resort planned for Ko Olina Resort & Marina on the island of Oahu.

BURBANK, Calif., October 3, 2007 - Walt Disney Parks & Resorts has announced that the company has finalized plans to purchase 21 acres of oceanfront property on Hawaii's island of Oahu.

The property, located on the island's western side in the picturesque Ko Olina Resort & Marina, Honolulu's premier resort destination, will be home to Disney's first mixed-use family resort outside of its theme park developments. The expansive resort, scheduled to open in 2011, is planned to have more than 800 units, including hotel rooms and Disney Vacation Club villas.*

"This resort hotel will give our Guests another way to visit an exciting part of the world with a brand they trust," said Jay Rasulo, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts. "In fact, Hawaii has been among our most requested Disney Vacation Club getaway locations beyond our Theme Parks. We are looking forward to building a special family resort that honors the cultural diversity of Hawaii and reflects the spirit of aloha that makes this location so unique."

Consistently ranked as one of the top family destinations in the world, Hawaii's natural beauty and extensive offering of family activities make it an ideal location for a Disney resort.

"Disney and Hawaii have something special in common, and that is the recognition of the importance of 'ohana," said Hawaii Governor Linda Lingle. "Not only does Disney provide wonderful family vacations, but as a media company, it also touches people worldwide with its entertainment offerings. The new Disney hotel will be a great addition to Oahu, and I am pleased to welcome a company that can also bring the world of new media and digital technology to Hawaii, opening new opportunities for innovative partnerships in non-tourism related sectors."

Ko Olina

The new resort hotel will be the latest addition to the Ko Olina development, known for its sweeping ocean views, picture-postcard white sand beaches and tranquil crystal blue lagoons.

Jeff Stone, President of The Resort Group and master developer of Ko Olina, has been working closely with Disney on the land acquisition and project.

"Ko Olina means 'place of joy,' and I can't imagine a more perfect fit here than a Disney resort that will bring joy to people from around the world," Stone said. "For many years, it has been our vision to continue to expand Ko Olina as a premier vacation destination for families and business travelers, and this new Disney resort hotel is making that vision a wonderful reality."

*This resort is not yet registered or offered for sale.

Fortgoofy97
10-04-2007, 10:53 AM
I had heard about this some 2 yrs ago, DW is already making plans!! :thumbsup:

Ian
10-04-2007, 11:40 AM
The property, located on the island's western side in the picturesque Ko Olina Resort & Marina, Honolulu's premier resort destination, will be home to Disney's first mixed-use family resort outside of its theme park developments.Guess they never heard of Hilton Head and Vero Beach?

wdwfansince75
10-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Been a while since I was stationed at Barbers Point Naval Air Station (now the Kalaeloa Airport), but as I recall, Nanakuli Beach was one of few public beaches on the West (Ewa) coast of Ohau. It had no surf. Prevailing winds are from north and northeast. Ewa coast is peaceful, but since Ohau, like other islands of Hawaiian chains, is very slowly moving northwest, that coast is the lead coast.
The dropoff to deep waters is very steep. Little or no natural beach development, and no real reef.
Been over the pali to Lualualei....beautiful view, including peaks of Kauai in the distance. Know that Barbers Point is now closed. Wonder if Kaiser's hugh industrial park is still there.

With no surf, no reef, and limited winds and breeze, would not be my first choice. Local infrastructure is limited. Honolulu and shopping are about 25 miles away. Rental cars are only real transportation.

DVC2004
10-04-2007, 02:37 PM
I will be eagerly awaiting our first visit there! I think this is great news. We've always wanted to go to Hawaii but felt hesitant that we would not have the same DIsney/DVC experience we are accustomed to.

Septbride2002
10-04-2007, 02:43 PM
This will be our 10 year anniversary trip! 2012 - can't wait!

~Amanda

NewmanFamily6
10-04-2007, 04:13 PM
This is so exciting! This will be how my big old family of 6 will get to go to Hawaii:thumbsup:

wdwfansince75
10-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Please note similar thread:

Walt Disney Co. to build hotel and time share on Oahu

Mushu11756
10-06-2007, 02:20 PM
I would definitely buy points at that DVC location!!!:mickey:

Tinkermom
10-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Guess they never heard of Hilton Head and Vero Beach?

As stated in the article:
"The expansive resort, scheduled to open in 2011, is planned to have more than 800 units, including hotel rooms and Disney Vacation Club villas.*"

This is different as it is NOT just DVC but a Disney resort hotel. This is the first time Disney has put a resort hotel not associated with one of it's theme parks.