PDA

View Full Version : Walt Disney Co. to build hotel and time share on Oahu

SgtTigger
10-03-2007, 09:16 PM
As posted by the Orlando Sentinel.....

The Walt Disney Co. announced this afternoon that it will build a more than 800-room hotel and time share on the Hawaiian island of Oahu, billing the project as "Disney's first mixed-use family resort outside of its theme parks."

"This resort will give our guests another way to visit an exciting part of the world with a brand they trust," Walt Disney Parks & Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo said in a prepared statement. "We are looking forward to building a special family resort that honors the cultural diversity of Hawaii and reflects the spirit of aloha that makes this location so unique."

The announcement comes eight months after Rasulo told investors that Disney was considering building standalone hotels, independent entertainment districts or even niche theme parks in locations far beyond its mega-resorts in Orlando and four other cities around the world.

Disney said it has purchased 21 acres of oceanfront land for the project on the southwestern corner of Oahu, Hawaii's most populous island. The property is part of Ko Olina Resort & Marina, about 25 miles from the heart of Honolulu.

The company said its Imagineering unit is still finalizing designs but that it intends to begin construction on the resort next year with a goal of opening by 2011. An artist's rendering depicts a lush, tropical setting with palm trees, thatched roofs and Tiki torches -- and nary a Disney character in sight.

Jim Lewis, the president of Disney Vacation Club, the company's Celebration-based time-share arm, said at least half of the resort's units would be time-share villas.

:cop: :tigger:

JWDisneyFan
10-04-2007, 06:59 AM
Does that mean us DVC members would be able to use points for it? That would be awesome!!!

RobWreck
10-04-2007, 07:37 AM
I wonder if 21 acres is enough space for them to incorporate some touches from 'Lost' into the resort? Might as well work the synergy while they can...
Rob

Horizon93
10-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Does that mean us DVC members would be able to use points for it? That would be awesome!!!

That is what it means! :woohoo:

I can see us all trying to get inthere at the 7 month window!

This is great news for DVC members and Disney resort fans.

c&d
10-04-2007, 11:21 AM
:woohoo::woohoo: I guess I better start saving for the airfare out there.

GrumpyFan
10-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Interesting, and Nice!

Interesting because it's outside of the Disney parks. This should be a sure winner.

wdwfansince75
10-04-2007, 05:02 PM
May I be so rude as to suggest merging similar thread on this subject:

Disney to build Hawaii resort
Luxury family resort planned for Ko Olina Resort & Marina on the island of Oahu.

wdwfansince75
10-04-2007, 05:15 PM
West Coast of Oahu (Ewa) has no surf. Mtns block the trades....only advantage is almost no rain. About 25 miles from Honolulu, and about 50 from Polynesian Cultural Center.

Don't know what is happening at the former Barbers Point Naval Air Station...now the Kalaeloa Airport....Suspect some of the inter-Island flights have been moved there.

Strongly suspect this is an attempt to offer DVC to international (especially Jap-anese) and West Coast clients.....I would expect to see DVC locations at Hong Kong and Tokyo parks. Oahu has been a prefered destination for Japan for some time.

StrangeCargo
10-04-2007, 06:38 PM
There is concept artwork on the DVC official site under the heading of the new Hawaiian resort. It looks gorgeous!:thumbsup:

I am especially thrilled since I live about ten minutes away from the site they're planning to build on. That entire area, well more like the area adjacent to but not exactly on that area, is the major center of development for Oahu (for those that are not familiar, Oahu is the same island as Honolulu county). In the next 5 years, major retail developments are slated for opening. It looks like international interest opened up on this area (known as Kapolei) virtually overnight. The progress of the development of the area might make an even more interesting vacation for any who come at the time of the opening of the disney resort.

BTW, is that a volcano I see in the picture? I wonder why that gives me deja vu of a trip I took recently to another disney resort?:mickey:

WDWfanatic742
10-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Here is the rendering of the picture:

Artist Rendering Picture (http://advc.disney.go.com/media/dvc_v0302/languagespecific/eng/prospects/pressrelease/detail_hawaiianresortrendering.jpg)

ccp1
10-04-2007, 11:23 PM
As posted by the Orlando Sentinel.....

The Walt Disney Co. announced this afternoon that it will build a more than 800-room hotel and time share on the Hawaiian island of Oahu, billing the project as "Disney's first mixed-use family resort outside of its theme parks."

Um, has Rasulo never heard of Vero Beach and Hilton Head?

Roger's #1 Fan
10-05-2007, 08:54 AM
SgtTigger: I think their definition of "mixed use" is the inclusion of DVC time-share offering.

On another interesting note, it looks as if DCL may also be involved in this plan as a new destination.

From DVCnews.com:

As 2007 arrives Jay Rasulo, President of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, announces plans to build 2 new cruise ships to expand the itineraries offered by the Disney Cruise Line. He also described plans to create stand-alone hotels, water parks, dining and entertainment centers. The latter projects were left open to speculation until the October 3rd, 2007 announcement of a mixed-use family resort at Ko Olina with details still in the planning stages.Could this new arrangement between Disney and Ko Olina result finally give both parties what they have long sought-after? On the surface, the project combines many elements of Ko Olina’s desire for cruise ship traffic with Disney’s vision for an expanded cruise line and regional entertainment centers. The framework is already in place for a Castaway Cay-type, beachfront facility catering to hotel guests, Disney Vacation Club members and even Disney Cruise Line day guests.

Could this prove to be the 21st Century version of Port Disney?

brownie
10-05-2007, 10:52 AM
SgtTigger: I think their definition of "mixed use" is the inclusion of DVC time-share offering.

Aren't Vero Beach & Hilton Head DVC resorts, too?

SgtTigger
10-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Aren't Vero Beach & Hilton Head DVC resorts, too?

Yep..........

:cop: :tigger:

HOLITRIN
10-11-2007, 06:48 AM
BTW, is that a volcano I see in the picture? I wonder why that gives me deja vu of a trip I took recently to another disney resort?:mickey:

I think that is going to be the slide into the pool - how cool is that!! :D

RBrooksC
10-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Well, since they have a Polynesian themed resort in Florida, does this mean, their Polynesian located resort will be theme as Florida?

Ian
10-11-2007, 03:36 PM
With addition of DVC in DL, this could make for a really great West Coast trip, eh??

Think about it ... jet out to DL for 3 days, stay at GCV, and then wing your way out to Oahu for a week!

Guess we better start saving up for some more points. ;)