PDA

View Full Version : Tide pens go bad?!?

WDWFanatic
10-03-2007, 09:01 PM
I was talking to a couple friends today about the tide stain pens and how much I liked them....well, they both told me how they can go bad. I had no clue, they told me they develop an odor, and sure enough I pulled mine out took a sniff and :sick:. It smelled somewhere between baby barf and dirty feet. The other friend I was with pulled her's out and sure enough same thing but not as strong as mine. The other friend found out when she used it and kept smelling something gross all day long:ack:.

Who knew! Well I guess I'm back to shout wipes:D.

Anyone else know about this?

DizNee143
10-04-2007, 09:35 AM
i had no clue..but i wonder how long it takes for it to go bad..a couple weeks?..a few months??
the pen and the wipes are such great ideas though!!!

Mickey'sGirl
10-04-2007, 09:38 AM
They sure do! I keep one in my work bag -- and pull it out for emergencies -- sure enough STINKO after a while. I can't tell you how long it took --- but I have since bought a new one.

princessjojo
10-04-2007, 04:30 PM
The one I had in my purse was about 4 months old. I admit that that may be a long time to keep one, but i don't use it on a regular basis. I opened it one morning to clean up a coffee spill and decided against it. Mine smelled like laundry that had been left in the washer for about 3 days :ack:. I chose the coffee stain for the day. Since then, I just stopped buying them and chose to be more careful.

pink
10-04-2007, 06:53 PM
I purchased a store brand Tide To Go knock off and it worked really well! Then when I went back to get another they only had the Tide one's and I was very dissapointed. I did exactly what the intructions said yet, no luck. (It was a tea stain) However, I haven't experienced the "bad smell" yet. Something to look foward to. :ack:

:mickey:

pixiegoose
10-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Yep, just found out the other day that they do indeed go bad. My friend was over and realized she'd spilled on her shirt. I grabbed the pen out of the drawer and handed it to her. She opened it, took a whiff, and handed it back to me. I took a whiff and threw it in the garbage. Gross! What bothers me most is that it had never been used! I could understand if I had used it and there were food particles or something stuck to it but it had lived in the drawer since I got it.

tinksmom02
10-04-2007, 11:01 PM
I've never noticed that the Tide pen stunk. I just swapped my old one out not too long ago, but because I couldn't remember when I bought it, and wasn't sure how much "to go" was left. Plus the writing had all rubbed off of it, to me that's always a good indication to replace things!

ldn324
10-05-2007, 09:50 AM
My Tide pen never made it that long. I used it the first time, which was about two weeks after I bought it, and the tip broke right off. I wasn't even bearing down that hard, just enough to get the stain remover flowing.

Now knowing that they go bad too, I think I'll skip on them from now on and go back to the Shout wipes. Less garbage anyway. I just wish they would make the Shout wipes in a smaller size. I rarely make a stain, but when I do it's just a small one. I hate to use an entire wipe for that. That was one thing that attracted me to the Tide pen. Oh well, just have to either be more careful or make a bigger mess when I do make one :blush:.

tinkerbellybutton
10-05-2007, 10:47 AM
:sick:. It smelled somewhere between baby barf and dirty feet.

Your powers of description are enough to keep me away from them. ;) I was actually going to try it because no matter where we go Keith spills on his clothes, even if he doesn't touch anything :confused: We have a shout stain stick but that's for before you wash. We'll have to try the wipes for emergencies.

murphy1
10-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Ewww, I just checked the one in my laundry room and threw it out, gross! Thanks for letting us know...I think :):sick:
I really like my Clorox Bleach Pen, but that doesn't just sit around as much, I usually run out of them.

iDisney
10-08-2007, 10:28 PM
I too noticed this. I have had one for quite some time and when I started college, I put it in my backpack. Well, the other day I managed to spill some coffee on my shirt and so I used the pen with no second thought. Sure enough, the only thing I smelled the rest of the day was the "baby barf" pen. (I still believe that most of my "smelling it all day" was in my head, since I knew it was there. There was definitely an odor though.)

brownie
10-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Although nothing lasts forever, I'm surprised that this would happen with a product like this. You're not likely to use it up quickly, so you'd probably have it for a while. We have one we've had for a couple years maybe and have never used; I think I'm going to go throw it away (I'm not even going to bother opening it and trying to see what it smells like).

WDWFanatic
10-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Although nothing lasts forever, I'm surprised that this would happen with a product like this. You're not likely to use it up quickly, so you'd probably have it for a while. We have one we've had for a couple years maybe and have never used; I think I'm going to go throw it away (I'm not even going to bother opening it and trying to see what it smells like).

Oh come on where's the fun in that:D!;)

It is strange, it's almost like it sours or something.

RenDuran
10-11-2007, 09:56 PM
I had a dream about this post the other night. Weird.

Ed
10-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Interesting.

I got curious and ran a search, and found that on Tide's own website there are several mentions of the stink, the breaking points, and stains being replaced by yellow marks. No replies by the maker, though.

See http://www.tide.com/en_US/messageboard/readthread.jsp?connectionId=5101