PDA

View Full Version : Monorail Expansion??

jennsky
10-03-2007, 06:45 PM
I have a video posted on YouTube of World of Motion at Epcot. Someone left a comment on it saying to check out their link for major breaking Disney News. So I clicked on it and it says:

---------
BREAKING NEWS
Announced at the 25th anniversary of Epcot. New monorails will be installed in the next 2-3 years!! The monorail tracks will be extended to Disney's Hollywood Studios (Disney MGM Studios) and the Animal Kingdom. Look for it in the next 2-3 years!! Lastly, a brand new attraction will be announced soon!! Keep checking back for the latest news on Walt Disney World!!....These are not rumors! I was told this information by Disney Officials!
----------

:confused:I don't know if any of this is true or if this is already being discussed. Does anyone have more insight? It would be cool if the monorail expansion is true...wouldn't it be environmentally friendly to have monorails instead of buses? That could be the reasoning behind it perhaps...

goofyfan4466
10-03-2007, 06:56 PM
that would be awesome !!! hopefully it would help the enviorment.

jray21
10-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Wow, that would be great. Hope it's true, but you know how Disney rumors are!

TexasPrincessAurora
10-03-2007, 07:18 PM
I'd always heard that monorail expansion was pretty much out of the question because it was just ridiculously expensive. It would be wonderful if it were true, but I'd be very skeptical until I heard an official announcement.

JPL
10-03-2007, 07:23 PM
I have to say I don't believe this for a minute Disney is very tight lipped about major plans and projects especially before any Official Announcements are made. Why would a Disney Official tell this person and not announce it as major news :confused:

The expansion of the monorail would be extremely cost prohibitive even if you go with a million dollars a mile back in 1971 dollars just for the beamway. Add to that the cost of trains, staffing and maintenance it seems like a far fetched dream and wishful thinking. As for the environmental issues Disney is switching to Biodisel to combat this problem which burns much cleaner and is more envioronmentally friendly and cheaper. The monorails run using electricity so in order for them to be envioronmentally friendly the power plant supplying the elctricity need to be.

Saying a new attraction will be announce soon is like saying it may rain some time in the next year.

DizneyFreak2002
10-03-2007, 07:24 PM
At the current cost of laying the track, I doubt it....

medic9016
10-03-2007, 07:36 PM
While on the boat from FW to MK last week. I ask the CM about a monorail expansion. He said the cost is just unreal. He said the last he heard it would be over million dollars a mile of track not to include the new monorail vehicles. It's not like they don't have the money.

Jasper
10-03-2007, 08:07 PM
While I don't believe for a minute that a monorail expansion is coming any time soon, I do believe that Disney could afford one if they really wanted to. Of course there has to be a valid reason for doing. Let's say that maybe there is a huge savings in fuel costs, or they think it will draw tons more guests, or maybe they think it would move people around more quickly so they would spend more money, or whatever. If Disney thinks those advantages are large enough they could go ahead and do it. The problem is I personally don't see that any of the issues are strong enough to overcome the costs involved.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-03-2007, 08:11 PM
As much as it would be nice, this rumour pops up about as often as the one about the spires being removable on Cindy's castle. Or the one about the black squares on the Dolphin were supposed to be where the monorail goes through. I don't think it will ever happen.

mouseketeer mom
10-03-2007, 08:27 PM
My husband just mentioned he thinks we bought WDW a new monorail already with the money that ends up getting poured into these trips!!!:D;)
That would be terrific if it ever came to fruition. We would love to see that happen.

Figment!
10-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Announced at the 25th anniversary of Epcot...No such announcement was made at the 25th Anniversary Celebration.

To prevent any further perpetuation of mis-information, this topic is closed.

To continue the side discussion of the feasibility/possibility of Monorail Expansion a new thread has been started in the Mousellaneous forum and relevant posts/portions of posts have been copied.

Monorail Expansion (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=117316)

Thank you.