PDA

View Full Version : Pin Fakes

mindy5648
10-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Does any one know any tips or tricks to figuring out if a pin is real or fake? We are gearing up for our annual October trip to WDW and we purchased a lot from ebay. When they arrived we noticed that some of them look odd. We have also been experiencing some of the same issues when trading on pinpics.com :mpumpkin:

carley
10-03-2007, 05:27 PM
dont have an answer for you im just tagging along for the ride...id like to know the answer too

JPL
10-03-2007, 06:53 PM
It is extremely difficult to tell since the pins feature a forged Disney Copyright stamp. There is also the Selsema issue where Disney Liscensed them to produce pins and they never renewed and continued to produce them. Unfortunately the only real way to tell if a pin is real is purchase it directly from Disney.

ariel03
10-04-2007, 07:28 PM
If you would like a safe place to buy pins. DH and I have bought from them twice and have been very happy is mousepinsonline.:mickey:

DizneyRox
10-04-2007, 08:29 PM
It depends on the pin. I know at first, there were many fakes of the Pin Trader Pins, but they were sortof easy to tell the difference.

I would say though, unless it's a highly sought after pin, you won't have any trouble trading. And then, you probably won't be trading highly sought after pins on vacation. Maybe, but I doubt it...

micahlei
10-07-2007, 05:09 AM
Anyway
WELCOME TO INTERCOT! :mickey:
To be honest i dont know how to recognise a fake pin but to get cheap pins there is a small outlet store just outside of the WDW Resort where you can get pins that have basically gone out of date so they dont sell it in the stores of the resort

We got some cheap pins there and then later on in our trip I traded one for a year of a million dreams pin! :D

animalkingdomguy
01-09-2008, 04:36 PM
I have purchase pins on EBAY but I am very careful checking feedback and ask a lot of question from the seller before I buy. Generally I have had good luck and received what appear to be genuine Disney pins. Purchased in bulk I can get them for about $2.00 to 2.50/pin.

LCPZA
01-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Where is the Outlet store??

CandleontheWater
01-15-2008, 08:37 PM
I agree that fake pins can be really frustrating. I've recieved pins from cast members that later turned out to be fakes, so be careful, they are everywhere! I've stopped buying pins off ebay, because I don't want to spread the fake pins around and sometimes its so hard to tell. I now only buy pins from Disney outlets, where I can still get them for less than the parks.

dolphinmickey9170
01-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Here is the address for the outlet. This place is also an outlet for all the big name brand stuff too. It is only about 4 miles from SSR
Disney's Character Premiere:

8200 Vineland Ave # 1252, Orlando, FL 32821, US

As you come down I-4 going West, just before you exit to WDW, you will see this large strip type mall on the left. That's it. We found a lot of great deals there, pins, clothes, souvies, etc.

mrsgaribaldi
02-29-2008, 11:50 AM
We got some cheap pins there and then later on in our trip I traded one for a year
a million dreams pin! :D

Off topic, are the year of a million dream pins hard to get in Disney? I won 4 and a lanyard from a post card entry to the sweepstakes. I was just wondering, thanks

poeticeclipse
03-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Off topic, are the year of a million dream pins hard to get in Disney? I won 4 and a lanyard from a post card entry to the sweepstakes. I was just wondering, thanks

On my honeymoon last May, I came across a CM with a YOMD pin on her lanyard and trader her for it. I went to dinner at Le Cellier and had my lanyard around my neck and a CM greeter walked right up to me and said "oh WOW! How'd you get that pin?" I said "I JUST traded a CM for it." She said "oh wow, I've gotta grab a waitress... i'll be right back." They both were thinking it was so cool that I traded for it. I didn't know it was that big of a deal until they told me that normally people don't give those up and they're hard to find.

Go me! :)