PDA

View Full Version : A sad situation

Tink&Goofy
10-02-2007, 10:44 PM
I just found out that a co-worker at work past away last week. She was in her mid 50s and had worked there for 30 years. She wasn't married, has no kids, no family other than a brother that she was estranged from. She was a rather different individual, but had alot of friends outside of work. She was less than a year from retiring.
Really makes you stop and think about how you spend your life, doesn't it? Most people look forward to retirement as a chance to start doing the things they want. What if you never made it to retirement? Wouldn't it be a shame if you put off "living", and never got the chance.

Sorry to be such a downer - this just really made me stop and think....

Here we go again...
10-02-2007, 10:58 PM
This is exactly why we are now DVC owners and vacation every year.
My mother could not wait until she was "older" so she could start traveling and enjoying her golden years. She passed away at 54 years young. That was 13 years ago and I still think about it all the time.
Mom had type 1 diabetes. Unfortunately, I have my share of illnesses. Every day I remind myself how lucky I am to have my family and one more day to spend with them. We will be in Disney World in Just 9 more days. :cloud9:

2Epcot
10-02-2007, 11:07 PM
That is sad to hear that. I tell my wife sometimes to remember the things that are really important in life. I also recently had a coworker die who had worked at this location for 30 years... Though I don't think he would have ever retired, he loved his work too much. His death was also very sudden.

disneydeb
10-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Here's to living while you can..:thumbsup:
It is a reason I am going in October. It has been years since I've been to My Happy Place, due to illness and finances because of illness.

pogo
10-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Isn't it a shame that while we are younger we waste so my of our life away on trivial things ?

As we get older we embrace the good things in life like friends, laughter, little kiddies smiles, sunrises and sunsets, good music, kittens, etc. You know what I mean ?

Do not ever waste a day feeling sorry for yourself or wishing your life away.

Thank God for the blessings in your life and
C E L E B R A T E your life every day. :D

Terra
10-03-2007, 08:07 AM
Thank God for the blessings in your life and
C E L E B R A T E your life every day. :D

I totally agree!! I had an aunt and uncle whom I loved very much and was close too. They had a teenage son who was 13. Both parents were in their early 30's. One evening suddenly my uncle had a heart attacked and passed away. Less than 2 years later my aunt passed away from cancer. And their son lost both parents!

I was in my early 20's at the time and told myself I would live and enjoy things now because you just never know. And especially now with a young son, God forbid that anything happen to DH, DS or myself, we do enjoy life!

I am so sorry to hear about her passing though. And It was sad reading that she really had no family.

jillluvsdisney
10-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Every new day means you get another chance in life. I choose to enjoy, be grateful, smile and find something to be happy about. Nothing is a guarentee in life. I don't understand why people think they'll be happier when they retired, thinner, wealthier ect. To me, that just means you are putting your own happiness on delay.

bleukarma
10-03-2007, 12:54 PM
What a sad thing to hear about. :( It makes me happy that I went ahead and decided to apply to work for Disney. I've been saying "on day" for far too long. And I should know better. I grew up with my great aunt and uncle and one day my uncle went to work (in his retirement years) and had a heart attack and never came home. It really makes you think about how any second can be your last. We should all learn to enjoy life while we can. It's just sad that it takes a tragidy to remind us. :(

Dsnygirl
10-03-2007, 04:47 PM
T&G, I'm so sorry to hear that... it really does make you think, and puts things into perspective, doesn't it?? News like that is sad, but it really does help keep our focus on what is truly important.... hope you're having a good day today, even after what was probably a thought-provoking night....

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-03-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your coworker. At least she had a lot of friends to remember her.
I wish I could remember that verse about "live like there is no tomorrow, love like you've never been hurt etc." I can't remember the rest but it makes me think that it's so very true every time I read it.