PDA

View Full Version : Epcot Slipping? [Merged Threads]

kbean
10-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Does anyone else fell that Epcot has slipped over the years. I just read how the Wonders of Life is now a special event building. It seems all the nice rides are now placed with a cheap 2 min thrill ride. Or in the case of WoL building, nothing. Epcot was an all day park, now its just a park to kill a few hours in. What happened?

Terra
10-02-2007, 07:32 PM
I think it's all in what you like and look for.
For us, EPCOT is an all day park!
Really I've spent a good 7 hours in FW alone! And the same for WS.

I think there is so much to do there!
Granted some things such as WoL are pretty much gone. But there is still alot!

There is so much detail in EPCOT. WS has so many "little" things that very often get overlooked because either people don't know or they're not going for the full aspect of "traveling to other countries."

Then again, EPCOT is my favorite park, so I'm partial! LOL

Terra
10-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Forgot to say....
Hello from another Floridian!!!!!!!

Do you get over to WDW often?

GrmGrninGost
10-02-2007, 07:36 PM
I liked the old EPCOT better! I really miss WOL, the old Universe of Energy, Horizons and especially the old Journey into Imagination! I still like EPCOT, I'm just not convinced it's as good as it used to be! Oh, the one improvement I can really see is Soarin'! Now that is an awesome ride! :mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
10-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Well, Epcot used to be our least favorite park. We spent maybe half a day there.

Over the past few years it has become our favorite park to visit. We spend at least two full days there. My kids are 10,7 and almost 4 and really enjoy everything there.

mousetrapper
10-02-2007, 09:50 PM
We all really love Epcot. There is nothing like that feeling of walking up to SSE and hearing that wonderful music! It's so beautifully landscaped and there's so much to see and do...we're not big on Future World but really love Soarin', and my DH likes Test Track and Mission: Space (me and the DDs, not so much!). I know many people don't like them, but we love the Leave a Legacy stones (our DDs are there from our very first trip to WDW!).

Then there's the World Showcase...again, nothing compares. It's just fascinating to walk from country to country, hear the music change and totally feel immersed in the country's culture -- sights, sounds, smells, tastes -- and especially the CMs representing their home countries!

The ambience just can't be beat. We've also been during the Food & Wine Festival and that is so wonderful!

We are looking forward to seeing SSE without the wand! So glad the DDs got to see it with...now they'll be able to enjoy SSE in its original, purest state!

cal5755
10-02-2007, 09:56 PM
We always spend 2 full days in Epcot. There are things I miss about old Epcot, especially original Journey.... but new Epcot is just as good with rides like Soaring. WS is never a let down either!

Our families must do ride.. first ride of the park is and always will be SSE. It was so weird and truly sad that we missed it this past Sept.

JPL
10-02-2007, 10:24 PM
The problem with Epcot is most people didn't like learning on vacation and never really got the park and it quickly got a stigma that it was boring. And please don't take this statement the wrong way but the "dumbed" it down. This of course was not 100% Disney's doing they have to answer to pavillion sponsors. At the same time they wanted to compete in the thrill ride market since that seemed to be what people wanted at the time. So the original spirit of Epcot slowly got lost as time went on. It does seem that some of the old spirit seems to be coming back.

Imagineer1981
10-02-2007, 10:28 PM
I've found as I've gotten older, Epcot is more and more exciting. As a kid the rides were great, but WS was boring. Now I find myself in WS for hours as well as FW. Its definitely an all day park, if not more

Sinewiz
10-02-2007, 11:33 PM
A couple hours to kill? You must be going to a different Epcot than I am. I always spend a full two days in order to take everything in at a leisurly pace. I will admit though that adding thrill rides has swayed from Walts original plans and because of that I did slightly prefer the "old Epcot"

2Epcot
10-02-2007, 11:34 PM
The problem with Epcot is most people didn't like learning on vacation and never really got the park and it quickly got a stigma that it was boring. And please don't take this statement the wrong way but the "dumbed" it down. So the original spirit of Epcot slowly got lost as time went on. It does seem that some of the old spirit seems to be coming back.

I agree ... I do see some old spirit returning to Epcot, but the educational part was what I always loved, even back when I was a teenager.

The Disney Institute kind of fell the same way, as far as a regular tourist attraction. I enjoyed the idea of going there to learn things you've never tried before, or always wanted to do.

Sweezy
10-02-2007, 11:40 PM
im never sure if its just the sentimentality of the old Epcot days, or if the park is actually losing its character. Whatever it is, Epcot def seems like the park that changes the most, and will prob continue to be that way...i think its part of its theme really. Horizons, though, can never be replaced...and innoventions really used to be ALOT better.

World Showcase is great.

disguy
10-03-2007, 12:21 AM
On the one hand I miss all the old attractions and on the other I have enjoyed some of the new things that were added.

I think I was more dissapointed to find the sweater I liked in Norway was $500+ :bolt:

It's still fun to shop there but I find the merchandise isn't as exotic as it used to be... of course I'm probably just used to it by now! LOL

mttafire
10-03-2007, 12:43 AM
I believe Epcot has gotten BETTER. Like others have said..With age i now also enjoy W.S. As for the rest of the park....IMHO, Better:thumbsup:

SpecJoe Magic
10-03-2007, 05:16 AM
While I think it's worth a lot more than just a few hours, I do feel that it could use a few more high quality attractions. I think that Spaceship Earth, Mission: Space, Test Track, Soarin', and American Adventure are high quality attractions, but Universe of Energy, Journey Into Imagination, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, and Gran Fiesta Tour are not. The Living Seas has improved, but the attractions that have been added are only average in my opinion as is Living with the Land and Maelstrom. As for World Showcase, I do appreciate the details, atmosphere, shows and restaurants, but I would really like to see some more attractions at various countries.

Von-Drake
10-03-2007, 09:26 AM
I think EPCOT is on the rebound. I really miss the Horizons ride from when I was a child... best ride in EPCOT at the time. I am looking forward to the refurbed Spaceship Earth. I have to admit I miss World of Motion, but the new Test Track is a worthy replacement. Soarin' is a good addition. What I do not like is the closing of the restaurant on the walk between FutureWorld and Mexico (can't remember the name). We have a family video we took when we ate there and all the characters were dancing in spacesuits, and Goofy was a having a lot of fun knocking off my dad's hat. Maybe that's why Goofy became my dad's favorite character. I also am saddened by the emptiness of parts of Innoventions (formerly Communicore). I am hoping to see a more improvements to continue bringing EPCOT back to what it used to be for me, an all day park.

May524
10-03-2007, 10:39 AM
I think Epcot is getting better as I get older. As a teen... i really didn't care for this park. But now I love Soarin, Test Track, Mission Space and the new nemo ride. I also love the WS!

IloveJack
10-03-2007, 11:10 AM
I find that on every trip I plan more and more time to spend at EPCOT. I have to be dragged out of WS. I used to not care much for FW (still don't even visit Innoventions), but I like MS, TT, and Soarin' a lot.
I thought that dh wouldn't care about EPCOT, when he went for the first time this past summer. Boy, was I surprised! He couldn't get enough, and we hopped back there on our last day, to get that last EPCOT fix before heading home.
Ask him what he can't wait to get back to, it's EPCOT, no doubt!

Happy Halloween!
:jack:

wedway76
10-03-2007, 11:15 AM
I do miss a lot of the learning attractions in EPCOT. The Wonders of Life had so many nice hands on exhibits I certainly miss them. I also miss The World of Motion and Horizons.

I do however think that there are still plenty of learning attractions in Innoventions, Universe of Energy etc.

EPCOT has been and continues to be one of our favorite parks. It is more than a full day park. I won’t even call it a two day park. It is a several day park.

century3
10-03-2007, 12:31 PM
I’ve always loved Epcot, ever since my first trip there in early 1983 (Horizons was still under construction and World Showcase had signs for countries that never appeared.) Today’s Epcot is quite fun and I can spend days on end wandering around. However, I do feel that the old Epcot was much nicer and more my kind of park. I loved learning from each attraction. I know you can still “learn” from the attractions today, but it’s not the same kind or level of learning, in my opinion. It was obvious the pavilions and overall layout of the park was well thought out. Over time, it seems that thought gave way to money. The whole place has become more…commercial…which is not exactly the word I’m looking for, but is close. Don’t get me wrong, I understand that today more people want thrills than thought and Disney is more than happy to give the people what they want. I just find it kind of sad how Epcot has changed and been “dumbed down”. I’m hoping the new changes to the park can help restore a little of what the old Epcot was. I know that Horizons will never be rebuilt, as much as I want it to be, but I’m hopeful the new attractions will at least have a similar level of wonder and learning as those of Epcot when it was EPCOT Center.

Here’s a little list of what I mean about changes to some of the attractions. I apologize for the oversimplification of descriptions:

Horizons – Was about the possibilities of advancement of human technologies and civilization over the next (now current) century, including a look at how people have tried to predict the future for years.
TO
Mission Space – What it’s like to go to space (still fun, but not as far reaching or imaginative).

World of Motion – Was about the development of transportation over time and where it could go (told in a humorous way).
TO
Test Track – What it’s like in a car testing facility. (again, still fun, but not the same level of scope)

Journey into Imagination – A more esoteric presentation of the concept of imagination and the aspects of thought, life and art that imagination plays a large roll in (plus there was Dreamfinder and Figment!)
TO
All versions since – How illusions can fool the mind and how everyone has an imagination. (and I think most who’ve been on old and new will agree, not as fun as the original and definitely not as thought provoking or nicely presented.)

Of course, all of this is just my opinion.

spinnerf
10-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Let me preface this by saying I love EPCOT. Just returned from the world and was at EPCOT for the 25th anniversary. An article in the Sentinel said something very interesting, the reason why the Worlds Fair theme of EPCOT was never copied by any other competitor is that it doesnt really work. It seems to work for disney but whats going on? There were suppsoed to be 18 countries (I read one article in Orlando that claimed there would be 32) and there are only 11. Wonders of Life and the Odysey are closed to general public. While I like the Nemo ride, it really has nothing to do with the worlds fair EPCOT was supposed to be. And lets face it, Imagination is easily the worst ride on disney property. The new Donald Duck Mexico ride really doesnt do much to showcase Mexico, not like the Malestrom showcases Norway at least. The Land ride hasnt changed much in 20 years, has technology not produced any newer interesting ways for Disney to produce vegetables without soil "many of which are served in Disney restaurants"? IM worried, is EPCOT destined to become anohter Magic Kingdom? When I left on Monday (the 25th Anniversary) they were playing "listen to the Land" and my 4 year old was clapping and dancing. It made me quite nostalgic for the way things used to be, and I have to wonder is EPCOT really improving? What do you all think?

Mnchknbrat1982
10-03-2007, 02:46 PM
I have to agree with what your saying except I do not think you can truely compare magic kingdom and epcot. They are just two different species. This trip was my first trip in Epcot and I have to say I was quite disappointed overall. I think they need to do something more with the countries such as maybe a ride in each country or something. If we had not done the segway tour around world showcase that morning we would have been just standing around for 2-3 hours before illuminations. The segway tour is awesome and so worth the money!

Septbride2002
10-03-2007, 02:54 PM
For the most part I like Epcot exactly the way it is. I like the rides for when I'm in the mood for rides - and I like the World Showcase for the films, the shows, and the food.

I think it hasn't been replicated because it couldn't be replicated. The countries have to invest money, time, and trust into the pavillions in the World Showcase. Disney is above all a brand, and world recognized brand that people want to work with. There is no way Six Flags could get that kind of recognition and trust.

Not to mention - should Epcot not pack in the guest, there are other parks to make up for the smaller numbers. Disney has diversified their themeparks to appeal to more then one type of vacationer. Versus Universal, Six Flags, and others who go for the thrills. Which is why in the long term - Disney has lasted over time and will continue to do so.

~Amanda

Imagineer1981
10-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Epcot will continue to grow and expand, just as Magic Kingdom has and the other parks. Yes, yes, we all miss horizons, but I bet many people will agree that they like mission space just as much. WOL used to pack guests in, Body Wars was revolutionary, and just give Disney Time, WOL will become something truely magical, trust me, the Imagineers don't like wasted space!!!

jclightchasr
10-03-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm not sure quite what you meant when you asked if Epcot is going to become another Magic Kingdom. I don't believe that Epcot has ever been advertising since its completion that it was going to be similiar to a worlds fair. I have been going to Epcot since the mid 80s. Perhaps prior to then the "worlds fair" goal was further implemented. I think Epcot was the imagineers take on Walts original desire for an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow which shy of Celebration just wasn't feesible at least as a theme park. This would therefore explain the changes over the years as technology develops. Of course there is always the need for more profit and the demand for more thrill rides to draw more of the crowds from Universal. I was carefull to say "draw" because I believe Disney already has it's fan base they just want to expand it. I believe you have a legitimate point with the Land Ride needing updating. Personally, I don't care for it and it could be removed without upsetting me. However, it could definately benefit from some updates for the sake of its fans. I think Epcot is a great park that is improving (and yes I miss Horizons too) IMHO it is 2nd only to MK and I stand in support of it.

PlutoLover
10-03-2007, 03:20 PM
I love Epcot too!! I have to say that I appreciate it more the older I get (32, ugh). I'm glad it hasn't changed much because I still have yet to experience everything each land has to offer, I'm looking forward to future trips and seeing more in WS. I would like to see more lands added but because of the layout I don't know if that can happen.

Now for FW, I'm glad they have done some updating because it needs to be futuristic so it will need to keep changing. My only major DISLIKE is that The Living Seas has now been changed to The Seas with Nemo & Friends. I always felt that all major movie/character related attractions are better left for Magic Kingdom. Epcot to me is something very different that you can't find anywhere else. It's more about a learning adventure and not so much about the cutesy magical part (although I do love that also just not in Epcot). I don't mind it a little bit inside each land or attraction, face it this is Disney, but I don't like anything in Epcot being dedicated to it. I hope they come up with something great to replace WoL, I only saw it at as a young child and now it's not operating and I have to say I am completely bummed that it's not. I do agree that I never learn anything new in Living w/ the Land but I would hate to see it replaced because I would like my future family to enjoy it. And there are newcomers to the World every year that are experiencing this for the first time. Mission Space and Test Track have been great additions (although M:S made me sick), they still fit in with the theme of Epcot.

I think you either LOVE Epcot or it's just not for you. Some people are looking for total theme park (MK) so Epcot doesn't work for them, but that's ok because there is definitely something there for everyone!!!

**** 2 months, 11 days, and counting :mjump: ****

Aggie97
10-03-2007, 03:20 PM
I do feel that Epcot is improving and will continue to do so over the next several years. While the old Future World attractions were unique and futuristic 25 years ago, I'm not convinced that they would seem so today. I have faith that Disney will continue to develop new and innovative attractions that will represent Future World far into the, well, future! :mickey:

2Epcot
10-03-2007, 03:25 PM
This trip was my first trip in Epcot and I have to say I was quite disappointed overall. I think they need to do something more with the countries such as maybe a ride in each country or something.

My last trip to Epcot we went with a very large group ... part of our group were the same mindset of many that they can't be entertained unless everywhere they go is something to get on and ride. That is not was Epcot was about. There are plenty of things to do and see at Epcot without having to have a ride in every country.

I know on my last trip, many in our group were annoyed with the others in our group that they had such a short attention span when it came to Epcot. Walt Disney World has plenty of other options if all a person wants to do is go on rides.

spinnerf
10-03-2007, 03:49 PM
To clarify EPCOT becoming MK, PlutoLover said it best above, Nemo belongs in MK its "cutesy magical" and EPCOT was always supposed to be something different, at least in my mind. I look forward to its growth and hope it continues being that park that no one else can replicate.

Mickey91
10-03-2007, 04:10 PM
I absolutely love EPCOT. I have to say that I don't believe every country needs a ride. I would enjoy at least a film representing each country though. I would have liked to seen more mild rides in future world similar to Horizons and Space Ship Earth instead of always catering to the thrill seekers. Not everyone is able to ride Mission Space and Test Track. Therefore, not all who come to EPCOT will see the new developments in car technology or space exploration. We have become a society that needs to be entertained and awed in order to enjoy what life has to offer. That is really sad.

EPCOT isn't about thrills. It is about our culture learning to get along with the cultures of other countries around the world. What better way to find common ground than to experience a little piece of each country. We find that we all have made giant steps toward the future. We have all made great discoveries and through our learning we have something in common.

IloveJack
10-03-2007, 04:33 PM
As it is the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow, Future World will have to continue changing. The future as it was seen 20 years ago has come and gone. Many ideas that seemed very farfetched then, now have been realized.
Yes, some of the new rides are for thrill seekers. However, many of those things are the future. My first visit to FW (in 1998) left me wondering what it had to do with the future. Other than Innoventions (which I couldn't care less about), I saw very little that was futuristic about it. However, now that there are rides like Mission Space, Test Track, and Soarin', I not only feel like I'm learning about the future, I feel like I'm living it!

century3
10-03-2007, 04:51 PM
I love Epcot, both past and present, but I will say that the present Epcot, while very good, just isn’t the same. It isn’t just nostalgia talking, either :old: Take everybody’s favorite ride of yore, Horizons, for example. (Yes, there’s that name again) There is a reason so many people love it and not just because it was from the early days of Epcot. It represented the ideas of Future World as a whole. It was a nice ride that entertained, informed and inspired. Many of the attractions and exhibits of Epcot were like that. The Epcot of today is still fun and entertaining, but the information and inspiration seem to have taken a bit of a hit. My real issue with the development of Epcot to the present day is the decline of the concepts of what Epcot was. I wouldn’t mind changes to Epcot, but let’s keep to the theme of the place and not try to toss in a bit of MK or water down the ideas too much. If a new attraction was built that was fun AND inspiring, that would be something. I think the concepts of some of the newer attractions have been stripped down a little too much. I agree with PlutoLover in that I love the movie/character attractions, but that is best left to MK.

Epcot has always been different from any other place I’ve ever known. I do not want to see Epcot turned into a slightly futuristic/international themed MK filled with lots of cool buildings that used to have a meaning. Don’t get me wrong, I DO love MK, but it is MK and not Epcot and at least, in my mind :crazy: they should be two separate things with two separate identities/themes.

Please don’t take my comments as too negative. I still feel that, even with the changes being as they are, Epcot is by far my favorite park, anywhere.

kbean
10-03-2007, 04:53 PM
I stll like Epcot, but no where near as much as the old Epcot. I used to be able to spend all day there. Now it seems like a half a day I can get in what I still like.

thrillme
10-03-2007, 05:56 PM
I do enjoy many things about EPCOT. But there are some things that need to be a bit updated. Technology has changed and Epcot was supposed to be the Future. I'd like to see a little more future there.

thejens
10-03-2007, 09:38 PM
THis conversation brings up so many emotions for me. I love Epcot. Just walking around makes me happy. I think I could spend a week there, it is so beautiful and different from any other theme park. I think everyone likes to experience it differently. I hate the innovations building because they are like museum/trade shows to me. But my kids and nephews love them. I love strolling around the world. I also love walking around future world enjoying the fountains and flowers and sparkling sidewalks. I think the best rides of Epcot are Space Ship Earth, Mission Space, Soaring. They all feel like adventures into something new. I think many areas have tons of potential, but don't live up to a truly futuristic vision. There are so many amazing technologies, breakthroughs in medicine, new ways of envisioning communities... Wouldn't it me cool if the Future World integrated with the global theme by bringing world wide innovations and international experts to showcase new concepts/technologies/inventions etc? Just my musings...

mel
10-03-2007, 10:38 PM
I really dont understand.. Epcot.. has new things.. what about soarin??

crltkcagle
10-03-2007, 10:53 PM
As it is the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow, Future World will have to continue changing. The future as it was seen 20 years ago has come and gone. Many ideas that seemed very farfetched then, now have been realized.
Yes, some of the new rides are for thrill seekers. However, many of those things are the future. My first visit to FW (in 1998) left me wondering what it had to do with the future. Other than Innoventions (which I couldn't care less about), I saw very little that was futuristic about it. However, now that there are rides like Mission Space, Test Track, and Soarin', I not only feel like I'm learning about the future, I feel like I'm living it!

Well stated!:thumbsup:

Sweezy
10-03-2007, 10:57 PM
i definitely echo the sentiment of the character-themed attractions not fitting at Epcot. I really think this is one of its main issues. As for good ol horizons...why cant they just build a new completely updated attraction (perhaps of the same name) with the same concept...an omnimover type that showcases a modernized/equally as spellbinding view of the future.

kakn7294
10-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Our 2 best trips were in Sept '05 and this past Aug. Part of the reason for that is that we had and took the time to really explore the little details of Epcot. I love the countries and like to walk around in the shops just looking at all the detail that goes into making the guest feel as if you are actually visiting that country. I actually like that I can take my time and don't feel like I have to run from attraction to attraction to see and do it all. I like that there are fewer places where I have to wait in a long, hot line. It's a nice break from the rat race (sorry Mickey!) of the other parks.

JuicyMoose17
10-04-2007, 12:04 AM
EPCOT is the Shiznit. The Land ride is actually one of my favs because its so interesting and you see something different eveytime.I would like to see a new country though... Austrailia would get my vote.

Von-Drake
10-04-2007, 07:29 AM
I didn't care for the Nemo ride, too short and not very entertaining, probably because of the limited space they had to work with. I would not mind seeing more character oriented rides, providing they also stayed with the overall theme of EPCOT as stated above. I think having the characters helps make EPCOT a more fun place for the smaller children while still letting the adults enjoy the park as well. Just for thought ... imagine a Ratatouliie (sp) ride or attraction in the Paris land.

LibertyTreeGal
10-04-2007, 08:16 AM
I am always lamenting that there isn't enough time to do Epcot properly! DH and I have been saying that we need to go after the kids are gone so we can actually spend more than just one day there. :)

I like the educational stuff and the world stuff, there just aren't enough hours in the day to see everything, even without the lines.

Mickey'sGirl
10-04-2007, 09:02 AM
I love Epcot, as does my whole family (DH, DS9 and DS3). We spend most of our time at Epcot on every trip. There are some great rides that my older son really enjoys, but we also love to walk around WS into the shops and the restaurants and at Christmas time to hear the stories or to watch the performers -- and hey -- have a drinkie or two along the way. I don't think the WS needs more rides, and I definitely prefer the "less Characters is more" approach to it. That said -- I LOVE Character Connections and Figment, but MUCH preferred the old "Living Seas" to the new "NEMO" pavillion ..... Spaceship Earth is one of our favourite things to do .... and Illuminations makes me cry each and every time.

So, what's happening to Epcot? I am not sure, but I think anytime you are taking a "future" perspective, you need to be prepared for changes -- good and not so good.

Marker
10-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Does anyone else fell that Epcot has slipped over the years. ...What happened?

Do I FEEL that Epcot has slipped, No Way.

They have perhaps changed their focus, They've lost some of the "informative/educational" aspect and gone to some more fast paced/thrilling experience.

I too enjoyed the old model of EPCOT Center, but I also like the New Epcot. It's different, but for me that does not equate to "slipping". I always want more time to spend at Epcot. For me there's not way it's only a couple hours.

Maleficent's Dad
10-04-2007, 09:23 AM
EPCOT is by far, our favorite park. We love all the others, but spend most of our time in EPCOT. We appreciate the WS most of all for the atmosphere and food (plus a drink or two!). But the times, they are a changing...

WOL used to pack guests in, Body Wars was revolutionary, and just give Disney Time, WOL will become something truely magical, trust me, the Imagineers don't like wasted space!!!
Well, the powers that be down at Disney have come to realize that a lot more money comes from corporate business and private functions - and so the WOL pavilion is used for these private functions. Disney makes a mint on the private affairs. I hope that WOL will become something for the public again, but I'm not holding my breath. Seems as if those corporations and businesses with deep pockets supersede the daily paying guest. Kind of reminds me of the sports' world - corporate boxes and luxury suites generate more money than does the average fan paying for a seat. We may not like it, but that's business in the USA.

EPCOT isn't about thrills.
While this may have been true once upon a time, Disney has realized that thrill rides do pack 'em in. Revenues at the gate go up with thrill rides (for example: EE at the AK). EPCOT has followed this path with MS, TT, and even Soarin'. It's not with the initial idea of EPCOT, but it does keep the park crowded.

DisneyOtaku
10-04-2007, 01:30 PM
I have to hop abord the "I Love EPCOT" train here--always have, even as a young child. The world showcase was (and still is) so COOL! I think it really got me interested in traveling the world one day. EPCOT was never about thrills--it was about learning and exploring. I know lots of people want the thrills, and EPCOT has started to put them in. Yet overall, I don't think we should expected a rollercoaster ride on a dragon's back in China anytime soon. Sitting back and enjoing the cultures in the WS sounds like a great plan to me :thumbsup:

poohmom787
10-04-2007, 02:27 PM
I absolutely love EPCOT. It is the first park my family and I hit every trip to WDW. We spend the first two or three days there. We hit FW on the first day and then WS the next. I love Illuminations and The Land Pavillion. Weird as it is, the smell of the restaurants is the best part. Our first dinner is spent in the Garden Grill with Mickey, Pluto, Chip and Dale. I wouldn't have it any other way.

In WS, I love going from Country to Country speaking with the cast members. Last November, my girls learned how to say Merry Christmas in German. We spent about three hours just talking with the cast members and learning bout their Christmas traditions and their experiences here in America. They were exceptionally nice.

Brer Mickey
10-04-2007, 10:56 PM
I think what spinnerf was trying to say, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that with the addition of Nemo at the Living Seas, Donald Duck in El Rio del Tiempo ride, and the many characters that are now available for greeting around WS (Aladdin and Jasmin in Morocco, Beauty and Beast in France, Mary Poppins in UK, etc.) is one less way that Epcot distinguishes itself from MK.

Epcot is by far my favorite park at WDW, but I don't care too much for all of the characterizing that is taking place either. But, perhaps the Imagineers feel that it is neccesary to continue to draw family crowds.

Tink#64
10-04-2007, 11:41 PM
We love Epcot. I wasn't even planning to do Epcot on our first visit (DS's were 4 & 6). DH & oldest DS convinced me, thank goodness! We always spend 2 days at Epcot, 1 in FW & 1 in WS! Journey Into Your Imagination With Figment is at the top of our must do list for Epcot! It's a must do many times over! And we all still really enjoy Living with the Land, although it's not a must do for us, we find it very interesting!

I could take or leave the characters at Epcot, I don't think they make or break that park. I sort of miss the "Characters On Holiday" busses, but then again, for us Epcot is a way more laid back park day & the whole character frenzy doesn't really fit with the feeling we get at Epcot. Character Connection is a great way to have experience if & when you want it.

I thought that Epcot would be "Too old" or boring for DS's, thank goodness they opened my eyes to the magic of Epcot!:magic:

EPCOT84
10-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Yes, EPCOT Center of old is a distant memory. Epcot of today is different.

EPCOT Center was the showcase as a serious but fun place to explore concepts, ideas, and hopes for the future. Mickey and friends were no where to be seen in 1983. It was its own world, the only character was Figment.

Over time Disney integrated the characters into EPCOT Center. The acronym became a word and for awhile the annual "Epcot 84", "Epcot 85", theme was born, attempting to promote it like a World's Fair.

Over time, corporate reality set in. Horizons and World of Motion gave way to the speedway rides of today. We can still find the messages of tomorrow and dreams but just a bit less obvious now.

The World Showcase grew slowly and while there has been no new pavillion since Morocco, it remains vital and pleasant to experience.

Yes, gone are the double decker buses that used to round the showcase. The 'small' country shops fill in the gaps. The Food & Wine festival brings in some added color for awhile.

Uncle Walt said Disneyland will never be complete. So the same can be said of Epcot. It grows with society and we will all find ways to learn from its messages.

And, to quote one of the veteran Hotel Plaza bus drivers, remember EPCOT really stands for "Everyone Person Comes Out Tired".

There is a lot to enjoy !

teamblackwell
10-05-2007, 01:18 AM
Hi all,
Help me remember, what was Horizons like. Was it a ride or walk through attraction?
Was it self guided or CM guided?
Thanks,
Teamblackwell

EPCOT84
10-05-2007, 01:22 AM
What's happening at EPCOT? Evolution, that's what. Change is at the heart of the Disney experience ever since Uncle Walt said Disneyland will never be complete.

It drives us Disneyphiles to go back, discover what is new, notice those little details, and relax in what is familiar. Pavillions undergo changes. The Mexico ride is one more place where classic Disney is seeping into the Epcot experience. Who knows what the Japan pavillion changes will bring, or the changes to Spaceship Earth for that matter.

Some parts of the park feel neglected and when I walk it, something is missing. The Odyssey remains a deserted space, parts of Innoventions have become like a mini-mall with temporary occupants, to wit the Disney characters photostop, without a sense of the permanency. There's even a Figment stop in Imagination. I hope imagineers will put in a well-themed permanent looking place for the characters.

Though not as relaxing as its predecessor rides, Test Track and Mission Space keep the Future World theme alive. Soarin' brings new life to the Land.

By the way, the revamped Sunshine Seasons food court is a pleasant change from what I always thought was a really imprecisely themed food court for years. I only wished they could have put in some new moving art to replace the moving 'hot air balloons'.

At least this Intercot site keeps reminders of the original 'EPCOT Center' and the 'Epcot' of today. For that reason I am glad to join Intercot after years of reading posts and enjoying the reminders of the changes at "EC" over the years.:mickey:

EPCOT84
10-05-2007, 01:55 AM
This Intercot site has a nice section on Horizons. Go to Theme Parks, Epcot andl look for the page on Horizons. It has a description, pictures and sound bites. Perhaps this will bring back memories if you did go on it.

brownie
10-05-2007, 11:12 AM
I don't believe Epcot was ever intended to replicate a World's Fair, although it certainly borrowed a lot of the elements. We really enjoy Epcot. It's okay to miss things that are gone, but without change we would never have anything new, and without new things you never have the opportunity for better things.

magicman
10-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Disney has realized that thrill rides do pack 'em in. Revenues at the gate go up with thrill rides (for example: EE at the AK). EPCOT has followed this path with MS, TT, and even Soarin'. It's not with the initial idea of EPCOT, but it does keep the park crowded.

I agree.

The Mouse's original EPCOT people-trap wasn't catching people, so EPCOT is trying to build a better people-trap that includes more rides and characters.
"Build a better people-trap and the world will beat a path to your door."

EmcDuckRN
10-05-2007, 12:37 PM
EPCOT is my favorite park at WDW too... :mickey:

And to be honest, I spend most of my time over at world showcase. The thing about Epcot is that each person takes something different away. I'd almost say you get proportionally what you put in.

The greater number of countries may have been mentioned during the planning stages. I remember an interview with someone who was involved with planning the park. He said that One idea was for pavillions for lots of different countries. The Other had exhibits of Science, and educational and other things. That is when the whole world's fair thing took over and the two ideas were combined. So, while I do not know for sure, it is very possible that in the original plan for the park to showcase the countries only that there would have been around 30 countries.I Imagine that they would have used the same amount of space for the park, and 30-35 would have fit about right. But It would have to scale back a bit when you combine the two...

I understand the addition of characters, the kids love them and if the kids ain't happy, the adults have a harder time enjoying themselves. And That is the park I look forward to all throughout the planning stages, and while waiting in line for Dumbo and Small World. I need my EPCOT time to relax.

Not to mention that everyone has referred to EPCOT as geared for adults and not children. If you go back to Walt's original idea of making his parks a place for the whole family, you are going to have to add things to make it more attractive to all age groups.

Another thing being that I am not a big thrill ride person (not interested in Rock n' Roller Coaster or Tower of terror, so everyone who does you can move up a space! :) ) , so adding bunches of thrill rides tends to repulse me. And that's why Disney gets my money pretty much exclusively, because there are options for me too.

I am a little nervous about the closing of the Life pavillion, I HOPE that there are plans in the works. But admit to thinking that there should be something in the area of life sciences Hey, I'm a nurse, "things" living is a good thing!

The only sure thing is that there are obviously going to be changes of some kind. the only question is are they going to fit? We aren't going to know unless a Disney executive who knows the plans asks for our opinion.

Other than that we have to trust that since they built Epcot in the first place, And we all seem to love that, that they will eventually do something else to knock our socks off.

spinnerf
10-05-2007, 12:55 PM
I think that BrerMickey clarified part of my original sentiment. Nemo and Donald in Mexico feels more like the Magic Kingdom. Epcot always had (and still largely does) have a very unique feel to it. I hope that changes continue in a positive manner preserving this uniqueness. Even though Mission space and Test Track are "thrill" rides, they contribute to the science, how things work, theme of Future World. Nemo does not. World Showcase is beautiful, I could spend days there, but the 3 Caballeros doesnt showcase Mexico, I personally preferred the old ride, I was sad to see the carousel scene with marionettes at the end of the ride is replaced by a big movie screen showing donald cartoons. As far as I know Donald is not indigenous to Mexico, and I felt almost embarassed that they were selling Donald themed merchandise in the Mexico pavillion. I know not everyone agrees, it just how i felt.

mcjaco
10-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Am I the only one that never cared for WOL? I think I went into it once when it was open. And to say Body Wars was revolutionary is just silly. It was a motion simulator, those have been around for decades, and BW was hardly ground breaking in any fashion.

As a EPCOT fanboy that longs for the old days, I like some of the changes, and hate the others. TT is OK, I like it as a ride, but as edutainment, it doesn't fit the bill. Soarin' is lame, and still has nothing to do with The Land. MS, I also like, but again, where's the edutainment value? Nothing will ever compare with Horizons. I also don't like the Nemo layover. As a kid, I thought the trip to Sea Base Alpha was awesome. Give me some Hydrolators!

I do like the way they're heading. The removal of the wand, the old EPCOT logo making a reappearance, the rumor of the shade screens by the Fountain of Nations coming down, etc. are good changes. I think they realized EPCOT has lost it's purpose, and are trying to get it back on track.

century3
10-05-2007, 03:25 PM
I also have to question the use of Donald in the Mexico pavilion, even with the Three Caballeros theme. What’s next, Goofy giving tours of the fjords of Norway? Oh wait…Norway has the princesses. Maybe he can have Germany then... :shake: I don’t mind characters themed to the countries, but don’t make the theme for the country the characters. I always thought the WS pavilions were supposed to represent the countries. Shops, attractions, restaurants and all. Character themes in the countries just seem wrong somehow. They are out of place and don’t belong. It chips away at the integrity of the pavilion, in my opinion.

On, but mostly off subject; Can’t the American Adventure pavilion have another food choice besides fast food? What does that say to those visiting from other countries? There are many unique cuisines in the U.S. that would be well suited. Just my :twocents:

Boomerbilia
10-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Let me preface this by saying I love EPCOT. Just returned from the world and was at EPCOT for the 25th anniversary. An article in the Sentinel said something very interesting, the reason why the Worlds Fair theme of EPCOT was never copied by any other competitor is that it doesnt really work. It seems to work for disney but whats going on? There were suppsoed to be 18 countries (I read one article in Orlando that claimed there would be 32) and there are only 11. Wonders of Life and the Odysey are closed to general public. While I like the Nemo ride, it really has nothing to do with the worlds fair EPCOT was supposed to be. And lets face it, Imagination is easily the worst ride on disney property. The new Donald Duck Mexico ride really doesnt do much to showcase Mexico, not like the Malestrom showcases Norway at least. The Land ride hasnt changed much in 20 years, has technology not produced any newer interesting ways for Disney to produce vegetables without soil "many of which are served in Disney restaurants"? IM worried, is EPCOT destined to become anohter Magic Kingdom? When I left on Monday (the 25th Anniversary) they were playing "listen to the Land" and my 4 year old was clapping and dancing. It made me quite nostalgic for the way things used to be, and I have to wonder is EPCOT really improving? What do you all think?

The changes that are currently being made to Epcot are for the benefit of the segment of the population that did not like Epcot in the past...and that is mainly your 4-year-old daughter.

The Mexico and Nemo rides are for your daughter's enjoyment. And other changes are making Epcot more family-oriented.

If you are like a lot of other repeat guests to Epcot, there's ALWAYS something new happening.

When you make your plans to come to WDW, go to Disney's website and plan your vacation, so that you go when things are happening for you.

It seems that whenever I go to Epcot, there's something new happening (Flower & Garden Fest, Food & Wine Fest, attraction upgrades, new restaurant menus, ever-changing exhibits, etc.).

As for Figment, if you've been paying attention, you'd know by now that a revision of the ride is already in the works.

And you already know that Spaceship Earth is reopening on November 14th.

The Wonders of Life building is currently being used for special events only because Disney is putting together a replacement for it and changes to an attraction of that size takes more than two weeks. You should learn to be patient.

Walk around Epcot, enjoy it for what's available, enjoy it for its beauty and enjoy it because your 4-year-old daughter can enjoy it.

Boomerbilia
10-20-2007, 04:26 PM
The changes that are currently being made to Epcot are for the benefit of the segment of the population that did not like Epcot in the past...and that is mainly children and families.

The Mexico and Nemo rides are for the enjoyment of the kids and families. And other changes are making Epcot more family-oriented.

It seems that whenever I go to Epcot, there's something new happening (Flower & Garden Fest, Food & Wine Fest, attraction upgrades, new restaurant menus, ever-changing exhibits, etc.).

As for Figment, if you've been paying attention, you'd know by now that a revision of the ride is already in the works.

And you already know that Spaceship Earth is reopening on November 14th.

The Wonders of Life building is currently being used for special events only because Disney is putting together a replacement for it and changes to an attraction of that size takes more than two weeks. You folks should learn to be patient.

Walk around Epcot, enjoy it for what's available, enjoy it for its beauty and enjoy it because your kids and families can enjoy it.

disneydeb
10-20-2007, 04:36 PM
I love the old Epcot and I love the new Epcot. I do wish the old Horizons, etc could be part of the new, but it is all good. It is difficult to move ahead while standing still.

Marilyn Michetti
10-20-2007, 10:53 PM
DISNEYDEB summed it up - I like the old Epcot, and I love today's park just as much.

On the one hand, I miss the technology in FW, and doing away with the parade broke my heart.

Flip side, I love MS, and TT, and the shopping, is, well, shopping.

Epcot has some empty spots that should be filled with "something". That building between FW and WS to the left of the walkway has been sitting there for years. You'd think all those executives in their big offices could come up with a space filler of some sorts. BUT, until they do, I'll still spend two days at Epcot, and feel bad that I don't have three.:(

Celestria
10-20-2007, 11:09 PM
we need to keep one thing in mind, things change. speaking as a former cast member we learned that epcot USED to stand for experimental prototype community of tommorrow. **personal note, i never said i could spell** NOW it's just a word, epcot. most children (and sometimes adults) these days want cool and fast and thrilling, as has been stated before. the old epcot would probably bore them to tears. they even have a kidcot in world showcase as a "draw" for children.

pokci
10-21-2007, 10:08 PM
I agree with many of the posters so far. The themed rides don't belong in EPCOT. I'm going with a friend next month who's never been to EPCOT. I have been shairng stories about the place but had not been there in three years and am not looking forward to NEMO. I'm not a fan of Ellen so the old Universe of Energy was more fun for me. I do miss the more educational aspects. While I understand business and customer service, thrill rides and themed attractions belong in MGM and MK. AK and EPCOT should be unique and original experiences.

36 days to go!:)

Celestria
10-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Epcot has some empty spots that should be filled with "something". That building between FW and WS to the left of the walkway has been sitting there for years. You'd think all those executives in their big offices could come up with a space filler of some sorts. .:(

i had meant to do this with my first post BUT i forgot. that building is the oddysee restaurant (or however that word is spelled). it is also being used as a special events pavilion

jillluvsdisney
10-22-2007, 07:02 PM
We need at least 1 1/2 days for EPCOT. I think it's my favorite park also. I don't think it's slipped at all and I first went in 1983. I think it's better than ever. I'm not a purist so things like Figment and the Wand and have never bothered me.

drkfj
11-20-2007, 11:57 AM
I always enjoyed the Wonders of Life pavillion, with its hands on exhibits, cranium command and that cute little film with Martin Short ( which could be the jumping off point for any talk of "the birds and the bees")

The Body wars ride is cute, but dated. Still, given all the money drug companies and biotech companies make, you would think one of them might want to sponsor a pavilion about the wonderful machine that is the human body. It seems like such a natural fit, and really would fill a missing area in Epcot. I am sure they could re-imagine Body wars, and I would love to see it back.

People talk of Disney re-doing it. is this true or rumor?