PDA

View Full Version : crying/screaming kids on ride

EmmMOM2
10-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Have you ever been on a ride where a kid was crying or screaming during the ride? If so did it ruin the ride for you and which ride was it?

My kids aren't criers by any means. My DS went on EVERYTHING when he was 16 months and didnt cry at a thing (haunted,pirates etc) but he will be 4 1/2 this next trip and im worried about how he will react on some...We will also have an 18 month old but im not really worried about her crying more my older son.
Just wondering if you've noticed kids crying on any ride imperticular....and how you feel when they happen to be on the ride same time as you.

THANKS

GrmGrninGost
10-02-2007, 06:41 PM
I wouldn't worry about it! Every once in a while you might see a child cry, but not often. The only ones I've heard scream were being forced on to rides they didn't want to be on. Please don't do that! Other than that I would say you are set! Four years old is a great time to be at WDW! The magic is so alive in those youngsters it is just an amazing thing! Enjoy this time. I'm sure it will be a cherished memory! :mickey:

mickey&missy
10-02-2007, 07:16 PM
I agree with GrmGrninGost, don't worry! I recall a crying child while on Stitch, but it wasn't terrible. The poor kid was scared and with the harness things Mom or Dad or whomever just couldn't get to her. I felt bad for the kid and the parent.

At 4 1/2 their still so in awe of everything that it shouldn't be a problem. But, like GrmGrninGosy said, don't force a child to ride something their hesitant to ride. It's a recipe for disaster!

Terra
10-02-2007, 07:21 PM
I wouldn't worry about it! Every once in a while you might see a child cry, but not often. The only ones I've heard scream were being forced on to rides they didn't want to be on. Please don't do that!

Oh gosh do I agree on that!!!
I have been in line with kiddos who are on the verge of a panic attack because their parents are making them go on an attraction!
I HATE that! If the child doesn't want to do it, then don't force them, you know? When they're ready, they'll do it.

I've been on quite a few attractions with a screaming/crying child and I usually feel so bad for them because they are just scared. It doesn't ruin the attraction for me though.

illini
10-02-2007, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. I know we've encountered plenty of crying kids, but I can't recall any specific instances. When I hear one crying, I worry about the kid and certainly don't get mad. I'd hope other guests are understanding. With little ones, sometimes you just don't know what might set them off and I think most people understand that.

teambricker04
10-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Agreed... Kids cry... Disney is all about kids, so no worries!

My son threw a fit once on the carousel and I had to take him off before it started. No one ever even batted an eye at me. It turns out he is scared of heights and didn't feel safe up on the horse even with me.

crltkcagle
10-02-2007, 08:42 PM
oK you are probably refering to my kids. LOL We were there three weeks ago and my ds 4 and 6 screamed on a few things. They weren't screaming to the point of ruining the ride for anyone but my ds (4) was a bit scared on the dinosaur ride and splash moutain. My ds (6) cried the whole time we were on BTMM. I don't think anyone could hear him crying though bc my dh and other ds (4) were in front of us and they never heard a thing. I wouldn't worry about it ruining the rides for anyone though. Those kinds of rides usually have people screaming on them anyway. :coaster:

carley
10-02-2007, 10:18 PM
little ones cry sometimes.... happened when we went and was no big deal for us... i usually just turned in my seat or waved to the little ones to get their attention and most times they setlled down and smiled n waved back..... only once was i bothered by a little one crying and it wasnt her fault...daddy was running with her in the stroller to catch the bus and the little one maybe 18 months or so went flying face first into the pavement :( poor kid

mttafire
10-03-2007, 12:47 AM
I wouldn't worry about it! Every once in a while you might see a child cry, but not often. The only ones I've heard scream were being forced on to rides they didn't want to be on. Please don't do that! Other than that I would say you are set! Four years old is a great time to be at WDW! The magic is so alive in those youngsters it is just an amazing thing! Enjoy this time. I'm sure it will be a cherished memory! :mickey:
Agreed, Our next trip to Disney will be in '10 Our DS will be 5 and dd will be almost 3..Looking forward to it!!:thumbsup:

martinfamily5
10-03-2007, 10:13 AM
I would not worry about your children screaming. Like others have said, usually everyone is screaming. I do have a funny little story about DS11. This was 3 or 4 years ago when DS was 6 or 7. It was the first (and only) time that we rode Alien Encounter. It was interactive, so the more you scream, the more it does to you. He just kept screaming and it was so loud that he could not hear me telling him to stop and it would stop getting him. We didn't ride it again.;)

wedway76
10-03-2007, 10:20 AM
I agree, Disney is about kids and kids will cry from time to time. It doesn't bother me at all. :mickey:

I also agree that I don't like seeing a parent drag a kid onto a ride he or she really doesn't want to go on. :mad:

merlinmagic4
10-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Try not to worry! There have been some threads lately that make it seem like a lot of people are intolerant of children at WDW but I don't think that is really the case.

I would never pull my child onto a ride he or she didn't want to go on but if they were really scared and screaming once we were on one, what can you do?

My one year old started fussing in Voyage of the Little Mermaid and we just left but you can't do that on a ride!

I think most people are understanding :)

mook3y
10-03-2007, 10:55 AM
I agree, Disney is about kids and kids will cry from time to time. It doesn't bother me at all. :mickey:

I also agree that I don't like seeing a parent drag a kid onto a ride he or she really doesn't want to go on. :mad:

I have to agree! However.... Bribery is not out of the question!!! ;)

DD3 and DS5 both went on ToT of their own free will. However getting DS back on a 2nd time took a bit of convincing and bribery! It was one more trip then back to the pool to go swimming that got him to go back on again. !!!

jillluvsdisney
10-03-2007, 12:29 PM
My dad and I were in the Haunted Mansion. Our group was still in the beginning part in the room with no doors and windows. A father had a small child in his arms. The kid was really scared. He screamed his head off when the room went dark and it thundered. I felt so bad for him. He and his dad left thru a side exit. Poor thing.:(

vamaggie
10-03-2007, 01:04 PM
We went when DS was 4.5 and he did not have any problems. Granted, we did not do a lot of the "big" rides and stuck with the milder ones (Splash, BTMRR, Goofy's etc) If you think your DS might react to some of the rides, I would try to prep him beforehand. Let him know what may happen, if it will be dark (he can always close his eyes if he doesn't want to see something) loud (cover his ears) or whatever. Some kids get anxious if they don't know what to expect. A little pre-trip work can help. Maybe even let him check out some of the rides on youtube (I would check them out yourself first) so he will know what is coming. And let me be another to say please don't force him to do anything he doesn't want to--it's not good for anyone involved! There will be plenty to do at WDW even if he doesn't ride any of the rides.

vamaggie
10-03-2007, 01:07 PM
My dad and I were in the Haunted Mansion. Our group was still in the beginning part in the room with no doors and windows. A father had a small child in his arms. The kid was really scared. He screamed his head off when the room went dark and it thundered. I felt so bad for him. He and his dad left thru a side exit. Poor thing.:(

The first time my DS went on HM and we got to the part where the voice says "There's no going back" my son yelled "I want to go back!" Once we explained it was only part of the show and we could leaveif he wanted, he was fine. He stayed and loved the rest of the experience.

TinkInTraining
10-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Don't even worry about it! Disney is for kids, kids cry and do lots of other things some people may not like or approve of...it happens. The majority of people won't mind at all!

Just be wary of judging others when it comes to putting their kids on rides...great example.

My oldest DD is 13, when she was 10 she wanted to go on her first roller coaster (real roller coaster) ride at a local 6 flags. I love roller coasters and knew she would too. We waited in line and when we got up to the queue she was freaking herself out and said I don't want to go...

I knew she wanted to she was just nervous. So I said "nope, we waited, we're next in line, we're going..." she was nervous and had nervous tears...

the ride operators looked at me like I was Atila the Hun but we got on that ride and she held my hand and we went...crying and all...

When the ride ended she was laughing so hard she was till crying but she wanted to go right back on it.

It's a terrible thing when people judge you for something they have no business being involved in. I know my daughter better than any other person on this earth...I know how she acts when she's nervous and I know what she likes and dislikes, I am the best judge of whether or not she is going to like a ride.

She is the biggest roller coaster junkie now...the Hulk is childs play for her, but still to this day, she always says.."I don't know if I want to do this" right (and I mean right) before getting on the ride...she always ends laughing...

Please be careful not to judge...

disneydrmr
10-03-2007, 03:39 PM
When we rode Dinosaur there were two little girls behind us riding with their dad.. they screamed and cried the whole ride.. and I'm talking "we are terrified' type screaming and crying... it did not ruin the ride for me (I didn't enjoy it myself) but I felt so sorry for the little girls.. and their dad was not very sympathetic toward them. He was laughing at them and telling them it's all fake...They were maybe like 3 and 5... and we saw several episodes of parents forcing their screaming terrified kids onto rides they don't want to go on...

spinnerf
10-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Since the MK is for kids of all ages, I wouldnt worry if a kid is crying, thats what they do. Maybe they should implement a complimentary fast pass for those inconvenienced by a crying child (just kidding). Honestly crying children are just part of the experience.

mouseketeer mom
10-03-2007, 04:03 PM
I agree with GrmGrninGost, don't worry! I recall a crying child while on Stitch, but it wasn't terrible. The poor kid was scared and with the harness things Mom or Dad or whomever just couldn't get to her. I felt bad for the kid and the parent.

At 4 1/2 their still so in awe of everything that it shouldn't be a problem. But, like GrmGrninGosy said, don't force a child to ride something their hesitant to ride. It's a recipe for disaster!

Hey! That might've been my kid while you were on Stitch! The first time we rode it, my son was 5. He was hysterical crying. I couldn't get him out because of the harness. I tried to hug him thru the harness and scootch as close to him as I could get..but he still screamed.
It happens. Don't worry about your child. Kids will be kids, and things seem very real at Disneyworld.

laprana
10-03-2007, 04:57 PM
I've only experienced a kid really, REALLY crying at WDW. We were in line for HM and a little boy, looked like he was about 4 or 5, started crying when we were in the stretch room. I could tell he was getting pretty scared, and as soon as the lights went out, the poor little guy just howled! His dad was holding him and trying to comfort him and quiet him down, but that kid was having none of it! It was just the dad with this little boy and another boy who looked a little older. The older boy really wanted to ride, and I think the dad just didn't know what to do, so he just kept on marching through the line. We ended up being right behind them in line, and the little boy kept saying "I want to go home!" "I don't like this place!" But, they got on the ride anyway, and were in the doom buggy right in front of me and my DBf. About 2 minutes into the ride, both I and DBf noticed that the little boy wasn't crying anymore. We just assumed he calmed down and was enjoying the ride...when it was over and we all got out of the doom buggies, there was the dad, still holding the little boy, but he was fast asleep! I guess the slow movement of the ride lulled him to sleep! Poor little guy...he was probably exhausted from being so scared! I felt bad for him, but I also felt bad for his dad. He looked really flustered and like he couldn't wait to get out of there when the ride was over! But, what could he do? There are lots of kids at WDW and at least a few of them are bound to cry at some point! No worries! :D

thrillme
10-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Don't worry about it. Sometimes they cry but it's no big deal. They'll get over it. Most likely beg to go on again. Personally if a kid is on a ride and crying I really can't hear them over everybody screaming. Crying kids happen...my only peeve is when the baby is OBVIOUSLY exhausted and no one takes them back to the room or finds a cool shady spot for them to rest a bit.

I'll probably get flamed but :thedolls: ...sometimes you gotta push your kids a bit to ride certian rides they may be afraid of. You gotta KNOW your child although. Is it something they would really like or something YOU like and they hate???

I saw one kid about 8 crying about getting on dinosaur. Mom and Dad gently pushed and told him to trust them. My son over heard them repeatedly assurring the "crying" youngster that nothing would happen to him. (they sat behind us). Finally at the end of the ride the boy jumps out of his seat and is just going NUTZ begging "Dad...Dad....that was so cool...let's go again...hurry hurry!!!" My son and I laughed as he pulled his parents through the gift shop and around to get in line again.

But then at the same time I saw a kid just throw a fit about getting on Space Mountain. He was kicking and screaming like someone was going to send him into a flaming pit...That case the child should definately not be pushed to go on. The CM stepped in and told them no. So I guess you've got to use your intuition in when to push.

LoriMistress
10-03-2007, 05:39 PM
It's been very rare that I've been stuck on a ride with a crying child. There was a little girl next to me crying to her mother (she was probably around 6 or so), on TT about how the ride was "trying to kill us all." Imagine if that turned into a Stephen King book. LOL Kids get scared; it's only natural. Another ride where a little boy probably around 3-4 years old was scared in TGMR was afraid during the mobster scene. There was gun fire and stuff (of course, because of the gangster scene), but the mother was able to calm him down. During the Alien scene, she covered his eyes, and he was quiet through that. We saw a little toddler freaking out because he was afraid of Tigger at CP.

Kids crying in attractions doesn't bother DH and I because it's only natural for a kid to be scared. But what will bother us (and most people), if you drag a kid into an attraction/ride that they don't want to ride in the first place (and start crying and stuff), and during the ride the kid screams bloody murder, and after the ride is over the kid snaps like a rubber band. Not that I'm implying on what you'll be doing. :mickey:

irish1967
10-03-2007, 05:53 PM
WDW is for children and children will cry. I can't think of any specific instances where a child crying on a ride really bothered me.

The only times that crying children bother me are the following and the reason it bothers me is that I feel bad for the child, not that the crying is irritating:

1) A child that is really frightened or terrified being forced on a ride (IMHO, there is a big difference between talking/bribing a nervous child onto a ride and forcing a child that is really scared to go on a rid)

2) A child that really needs a nap and the commando parents aren't letting it happen (I don't make snap judgements about this - a child can have a few bad moments and just need a little break, it bothers me when I see the same child crying a half hour later and then an hour later in the park.)

3) A child crying in a restaurant and reasonable attempts have been made to calm the child down. At that point it is time to remove the child - most rides last only a few minutes - a meal at a restaurant can last significantly longer.

MsMin
10-03-2007, 06:01 PM
I still scream sometimes but more often on E:E or ToT. I still remember riding PoC when I was young and thinking what if they slipped and put in real canon balls or what if it really was on fire and they couldn't tell??? Kids have vivid imagination and can create their own scenarios.
Like everything there will be parents who push too much and parents that don't push at all. I draw the line and have gotten angry with parents that take it over the top to frighten the child. The ride is scary enough..
I don't remember a specific instance at WDW but I clearly remember an example of a parent who was scaring a child too much. It happened at the grocery and the child about 4 or 5 was in the buggy (shopping cart for my more northern friends;)). He was asking "can I have this or that" like a typical child and the parent lost her patience and screamed at the child to be quiet and then pointed to the meat case in an angry voice with the slabs of beef hanging in the back and said "SEE WHAT THEY DO TO BAD KIDS HERE" the butcher is going to chop you up because you are bad. At that point the child became hysterical.
That IMO is over the top. It's at this point you can start to see sleep disturbances and incontinence(not saying every child that had has been severely frightened by the parent). It's when the parent is very angry b/c the child is afraid or enjoys frightening them even more so to the point of utter fear.
I've always warned my kids or enlightened them about the ride and didn't have a problem. Children are different and at different ages can change and grow more cautious with age. I also think I child should not be punished for fearing the ride. Being sent back to the room b/c they are expressing fear only creates negative reinforcement for expressing their "feelings" ( I know some of you hate when I say that). The ride should be an accomplishment. I do think that many of us chuckle at the innocence of the frightened child -so don't feel guilty.

mermaidmarian
10-03-2007, 08:38 PM
The two attractions where I have experienced the most distressed/crying kids were It's Tough To Be A Bug at AK and Honey I Shrunk The Audience at Epcot. I think parents take their children into these attractions either without any first hand knowledge of what will take place or have forgotten that some portions of the show are really intense for children (and some adults!). I usually count on crying and/or screaming kids and parents making quickly for the exits in both of these theaters.

Marker
10-03-2007, 08:51 PM
I guess I'd have to say if you are bothered by being around a crying child, then perhaps being at a place with so many children is not the best choice.

Kids cry sometimes, that's life.

LibertyTreeGal
10-03-2007, 09:00 PM
I've never seen it happen, but it would really break this mommy's heart!

It almost happened on ITTBAB but I had my eye on the child in question and pulled him out before he got to that point. There is absolutely no point in allowing a child to be frightened to the point of crying for the purpose of "entertainment." Now, if you have decided to try Barnstormer and the child freaks out, well, that happens. But if you push them onto it again in order to "toughen them up" (as some are wont to do) then I just don't understand that. Not for a ride....

Kairi_7378
10-07-2007, 10:51 AM
If you are taking small children to the big 3D shows you may want to sit them on your lap or try to cover their ears because the shows are really loud. Be sure to know where the exits are. We had screaming kids on HISTA and TTBAB this trip... the poor children were TERRIFIED and their parents wouldn't take them out! I felt so bad for them. I don't think anyone has a problem with the kids yelling per se... after all it is WDW.
We were also on Dinosaur and we had some little guys on the ride (barely met the height requirement.) At the scary part the youngest one put his head down in his lap. When we disembarked, he whispered, "Mom do I have to do that again?" He was such a little trouper.

kim1st
10-07-2007, 03:41 PM
We traveled with our two DDs last fall - 2 1/2 and almost 5. We really had a mixed experience.

The older one is typically not afraid of anything and the younger one was (kind of still is) afraid of almost everything.

Fortunately, at 2 1/2, we would just give the little one her binky (ordinarily reserved for nap time only) and she would bury her head in mine or DHs shoulder. This worked great for POC & HM in particular!

Both kids were completely freaked out in the little Norway ride, which was technically "a gentle family ride" as described by the CM, but the snarling polar bears & characters from Norse legends were a bit much for the girls.

The little one waited until AFTER goofy's barnstormer to get kind of nervous ("mommy - that was falling") and the older one also waited until AFTER Dinosaur to complain...she was big & brave with Dad, but then when she saw me cried and said she didn't want to do that EVER again.

I took DD5 on Test Track after being assured by my DH that she would be fine (this was AFTER both Dinosaur and Maelstrom...or whatever that ride is called). Once we got on, DD got nervous and I had to kind of talk her through it...I don't THINK people could hear us - otherwise I'd feel kind of badly for them, 'cause I was all, like, "OK - we're going to go over some bumps now, bumpy bumpy bumpy..." that was probably more annoying than her crying would have been. ;)

The WORST were the 3D shows. Fortunately, those are also the easiest to get out of if the child freaks out. DD 2 1/2 and I were led out of "It's Tough to be a Bug" by a CM with a pen light as soon as Flick came out (we hadn't discovered the binky trick yet) and DH & DD5 followed about 5 minutes later when Hopper came out...

Next trip will be interesting, since at 4 and 6 (almost 7) they'll both be too old for the Binky trick!!!!

Have a great time - I'm sure everything will be fine!!!!

Jasper
10-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Assuming that junior isn't being forced onto a ride crying is a normal part of anyplace that caters to kids.

One observation I have made over time is that at 18 months or so a child doesn't really "know" that something might be scary. At 4 or 5 years of age many kids have "learned" to be scared of things. It is important for parents and others around small children to react appropriately to things and not condition the child to be scared.

MinnieMommie
10-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Disney is for all people and all ages. That means even the littlest of little ones. Sometimes little ones cry. That's to be expected. No biggie! Enjoy yourself and have a great time! :mickey:

MickeyandTink
10-08-2007, 12:41 PM
I can deal with crying/screaming kids. However, adults (who should know better) taking flash pictures on the rides and in the shows really make me :mad:. I was just about blinded by a woman who took a picture, while directly facing me on POTC. Yelling at her several times seemed to have no effect, even though her husband kept telling her to stop as well. It was extremely distracting and completely ruined the ride for me.

kbean
10-11-2007, 09:53 AM
On rides, the only one I see crying are the kids that get scared. It's in the stores where kids whine and screamcause they want this. This one parent wasn't buying her boy anything, but yet let the kid pick everything up and cry that he wants it. Even one of those big snowglobes. The other problem are the parents bringing in backpacks, and coolers, and bunch of other **** that could be left at the room. Some look like their going hiking.

2Epcot
10-11-2007, 10:23 AM
I would never pull my child onto a ride he or she didn't want to go on but if they were really scared and screaming once we were on one, what can you do?

That's what happened earlier this year with my nephew. At Sea World he was all ready to go on Journey to Atlantis then once he got on he was scared and started crying. I felt bad for him during the ride. We all got a good laugh (including my nephew) of his picture during the big drop, he was terrified.

The next day at Disneyland he was sure he was ready to go on Indiana Jones, made it through the tunnels ok, but then just before getting on the transport vehichle he started crying and was too afraid to get on. My sister-in-law took him away, and did a child swap later with my brother.

Children crying because they are scared of rides and 3D shows don't bother me. The only time I really notice is during some of the regular films you might find in Epcot or Hall of Presidents.

LibertyTreeGal
10-11-2007, 10:52 AM
The other problem are the parents bringing in backpacks, and coolers, and bunch of other **** that could be left at the room. Some look like their going hiking.

I don't see why this is a problem. I am one of these parents -- I have a child with spina bifida, which means I have to haul around a backpack full of supplies. Because of the spinal problems, he is totally incontinent -- most parents of sb kids have to carry around medication, diapers, wipes, catheters, etc... so we need a little cooler and a lot of space. I also have stuff to take care of his feet because he can't feel them and is prone to blistering and cracking, and the medication can leave him prone to sunburn so I have to carry around gobs of stuff to take care of that -- and I am probably forgetting stuff too that i normally haul. So next time you see one of those parents, just say a prayer and be glad that you don't know what it is like to have to carry around stuff to take care of a special needs youngster. It takes a lot of love and determination and hassle to take a special needs child to WDW. I know I may look like an idiot, but who cares?

kbean
10-11-2007, 11:56 AM
It's not that. My bad here. It's when you exit a ride or on the sidewalk and the people stop right front of where you have to walk and start digging through their bags for something. They can at least go off to the side.

LibertyTreeGal
10-11-2007, 12:46 PM
It's not that. My bad here. It's when you exit a ride or on the sidewalk and the people stop right front of where you have to walk and start digging through their bags for something. They can at least go off to the side.

My bad too. Sometimes I get a bit tired of it all and I took it out on you. Sorry.

For the record, that annoys me too!!! It actually helps if you body slam them ;) -- just kidding.

I feel awful when I turn and whack someone with my backpack. *sigh* But I always apologise and everyone has always been very gracious.

septembergirl
10-12-2007, 04:30 PM
In September, DD4 didn't cry but she was nervous or downright scared on HM and ITTBAB. She wanted to ride Thunder and Splash but did not enjoy either of them. She didn't scream or cry but made it clear that she was NOT riding them again.