PDA

View Full Version : Refillable Mug observations...

Marker
10-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Just a few observations from my most recent trip (9/21 - 9/25) concerning the refillable mugs...

... I was kind of disappointed that the only style of mug available at ASMu while I was there was the narrow bottomed variety. Although it really worked out ok because this style fits into the cup holder of my car and the other style does not.

... I was kind of disappointed that the mug was of a more generic design, nothing that identifies it as being from any particular resort. I can understand the business reason for having a generic design across many resorts, but I kind of liked the resort specific designs. Although, maybe this is particular to the All*Stars or something, back in March I got a mug at POR, and it was wide bottomed, Port Orleans specific mug.

... I couldn't help but notice the WIDE variety of mug styles and designs being used at the ASMu drink station, obviously from other trips, and other resorts. It's too bad they can't practically enforce the "this trip only" rule. I wonder if drinks and/or mugs would be less expensive if they didn't have to cover the cost of those who don't abide by the rule.

gwfx1031
10-02-2007, 03:57 PM
We got a mug at BB on a visit last year and the CM put a bar code on the mug that activated the self serve drink fountain. It seems like a similar technology could be used at the hotels. If you consider how much they charge for one of those mugs and the mere cents it costs to make them AND fill them with soda several times, they are probably still making money on them long after their purchase.

vicster
10-02-2007, 04:00 PM
I noticed last year at the WL people were using mugs that were obviously from a previous trip as they were no longer selling that style. I guess some people just have to try and get away with something and yes, the rest of us are probably paying for it.

DizneyRox
10-02-2007, 04:20 PM
We got a mug at BB on a visit last year and the CM put a bar code on the mug that activated the self serve drink fountain. It seems like a similar technology could be used at the hotels. If you consider how much they charge for one of those mugs and the mere cents it costs to make them AND fill them with soda several times, they are probably still making money on them long after their purchase.
Bar coding resort stays would be a nightmare. The barcode used at the waterparks is based on the day of the week, must easier to manage something like that.

If they coded resort mugs with your resort stay it would probably need to be sold at the check-in desk. Otherwise there's a ton of openings for abuse.

mttafire
10-02-2007, 04:37 PM
The refillable mug thing is always a hot topic. I dont think Disney in any way enforces the "per this trip only rule". Honestly, 90% of the time we ONLY use our mugs for that trip only. YES, In the past we have used past trip mugs...Was it right? NO..But i guess we are all human.:blush:

WDWFanatic
10-02-2007, 07:34 PM
When the mugs first came out they did say you could use them at that resort forever, so I have no gripe when I see old mugs. The only mugs we have from then are ASM, and if we stayed there again I wouldn't have a problem using them.

When people are using other resorts or even non Disney mugs I figure that it's karma's job to take of them ;).

tinksmom02
10-02-2007, 09:46 PM
I kept an eye on the refillable mugs last week, too (at POFQ). I noticed a LOT of the purple PO mugs (that i had purchased in January, and left home, becaust i'm such an honest person), which I know for a fact were not "use forever."

I also noticed a LOT of people using "Dixie Landings" mugs, which I thought was a pretty blatant misuse of the mugs, but I forgot that they used to sell "use forever" mugs, so they may have been from that era.

At one table in the food court I spied a woman with a YOAMD mugs, one with a purple mug, an two with different Dixie Landings mugs! LOL Disney should hire me as the mug police!

Iluvpooh
10-02-2007, 11:52 PM
More than likely the Dixie Landings mugs were forever mugs. I still have one. Although all the paint came off in dishwasher and the bottom is missing.;) I have never stayed at PO again so I have never thought to bring it back. I had actually forgoten it was a forever mug until I read this thread.

DisneyDudet
10-03-2007, 12:20 AM
More than likely the Dixie Landings mugs were forever mugs. I still have one. Although all the paint came off in dishwasher and the bottom is missing.;) I have never stayed at PO again so I have never thought to bring it back. I had actually forgoten it was a forever mug until I read this thread.

We have a few "forever" mugs from DL. They are our favorite mugs (except for my WL mug.. which I LOVE) because of the "Song of the South" group on it.

It is so difficult to regulate this. I guess they are hoping for the honesty of people.

goofysbabe
10-03-2007, 08:31 AM
How do you know who has a "forever" mug and who has a plain ole' mug? Outside of the new mugs I wouldn't know. I guess I really don't pay much attention to whose using what mug - I'm there to have fun - not police everyone else.

SAHDad
10-03-2007, 10:17 AM
I noticed last year at the WL people were using mugs that were obviously from a previous trip as they were no longer selling that style. I guess some people just have to try and get away with something and yes, the rest of us are probably paying for it.

It's probably not a big deal. From my days in food service, I vaguely recall seeing that the most expensive things for a soda are (in order): the container, the ice, the CO2, the syrup, the employee. And even then, there is a reason that restaurants and theaters give soda refills away for free.

We might have a couple of the forever mugs from our first trip, but to be honest, I'd rather save the space in the suitcases for new souvenirs than bringing an old one along.

martinfamily5
10-03-2007, 11:19 AM
We buy new mugs every trip, and I don't have a problem doing this, however, I have used the resort mug from where I am staying at a different resort. Such as, I stayed at AK and went to Poly and ate a CS lunch and we used our mugs there.

JWB3
10-03-2007, 12:59 PM
I have mugs from WL ('00) and CSR ('02) that do not have the 'use only this visit' message on them. Does this make them "forever mugs" and is it truly a Disney policy?

Given the cost of a Disney stay, and the relatively small cost of CO2, water and syrup, I would think Disney would want to encourage folks to bring back their mugs as a small token bene. But what do I know? ;)

Momof2boys
10-03-2007, 02:04 PM
We buy new mugs - for me it's just one (or 4) less things to haul down to Florida.

wedway76
10-03-2007, 02:30 PM
When the mugs first came out they did say you could use them at that resort forever, so I have no gripe when I see old mugs. The only mugs we have from then are ASM, and if we stayed there again I wouldn't have a problem using them.

When people are using other resorts or even non Disney mugs I figure that it's karma's job to take of them ;).

:ditto:

I agree 100% on both points.

MizMissy
10-03-2007, 02:33 PM
We buy new mugs - for me it's just one (or 4) less things to haul down to Florida.

We just returned from an AKL trip. I, too, was amazed by all the different mugs that people were using. My own thoughts were that I couldn't imagine remembering to bring an old mug and having it taking up valuable room in my suitcase!

FatherForce
10-03-2007, 02:57 PM
I just called and checked if we could use our "Dixie Landings" "lifetime mug" and was given a cheery " Of course."

So those of you who see me getting coffee in my DL mug at POR in 13 days, hold your judgement please.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

martinfamily5
10-03-2007, 03:33 PM
I just called and checked if we could use our "Dixie Landings" "lifetime mug" and was given a cheery " Of course."

So those of you who see me getting coffee in my DL mug at POR in 13 days, hold your judgement please.

Hey FatherForce,

We will be there in 16 days. We are from Martinsville. We are also staying at POR. Maybe we will see ya there.

FatherForce
10-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Cool!
Maybe we will. We check in on the 16th and will be leaving the 20th.
Refills for All!

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-03-2007, 03:58 PM
We've bought new mugs each time we were there...had a bit of an internal discussion within the family actually...but honestly ruled, and we bought the new ones!

I wonder if having the mugs included in the Deluxe Dining Plan in 2008 will make any difference?

SgtTigger
10-03-2007, 08:54 PM
If I am not mistaken Coke either gives Disney coke products for free or at a greatly reduced price to be the Official Drink Of Disney World..... So it is not a price thing...... I am going to look into this more I know I read something about this somewhere......

:cop: :tigger:

Marker
10-03-2007, 08:59 PM
We have a couple of Dixie Landings mugs as well. But, even it they were considered good forever, Dixie Landings no longer exists.

I also have a Coke pitcher from Godfathers pizza from about 1980... they said they would refill it forever too... but just try to get them to refill that thing.

I guess "forever" is just a relative term.

thejens
10-03-2007, 09:49 PM
I think they should change the mugs every year or at every resort so people have a desire to buy a new mug. I don't mind buying a new one with each visit, but it is a bummer to get another YOAMD mug again (multiplied by the four people in our family.) Instead of policing us WDW should entice us to spend more money...after all they are quite good at this already! I also think the mugs should be good at every resort. I don't think people would use it this way too much, but it would be a nice perk.

magicofdisney
10-03-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm curious if anyone has ever actually been told by a CM at the resort that they COULDN'T refill an old mug? Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I realize the mugs contain verbiage that states otherwise. BUT, I constantly hear CMs telling ppl it's OK to use an old mug. And has anyone noticed the signs have been removed from some of the beverage areas? And to be completely honest, if no one is pointing it out, I'm not sure I'd even notice the small, almost invisible print on the new mugs, explaining mug usage.

Mickey91
10-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Disney probably makes more money on the sale of soda than on anything else. The cost is actually pennies and they sell them for $2 and over. People aren't at their resorts enough to break the bank on excessive refills. Disney wouldn't have this available if they lost money on it. And, they wouldn't have started putting in refillable staions at the EPCOT CS locations if they were already losing money in the resorts.

We will continue to buy the mugs since we collect them as souvenirs. But, I am extremely disappointed that we can no longer collect the different ones from the resorts. And, if they all look alike, who would know if you were staying at that resort or not. Anyway, there is no reason to make people feel like theives for reusing a refillable mug. Besides, I go to Disney to have fun, not fume about people using old mugs.

Magic Smiles
10-04-2007, 07:38 AM
I also noticed a LOT of people using "Dixie Landings" mugs, which I thought was a pretty blatant misuse of the mugs, but I forgot that they used to sell "use forever" mugs, so they may have been from that era.

At one table in the food court I spied a woman with a YOAMD mugs, one with a purple mug, an two with different Dixie Landings mugs! LOL Disney should hire me as the mug police!

We have the POFQ mugs from 2000 and they were "use forever" mugs. On our last visit we took one of those back with us and bought two of the new ones - of which we now have 5. This year we may once again take back maybe 1 or 2 of our "use forever" mugs and buy 1 or 2 new YOMD mugs.
I am sure that Disney is making tons of money on the mugs. I know that they make money on us, as we are not big drinkers, other than the water that we buy in the parks. When you see many individuals filling up mugs that did not even come from Disney at any time, then I certainly do not feel guilty using mugs that were sold to me as "use forever" mugs. I actually find it pretty interesting in seeing the people using the old mugs.

luvdiznee
10-04-2007, 08:22 AM
I am also disappointed that there are no longer resort specific mugs. I too was collecting for each resort we stayed at. But this brings me to ask....WHERE DID ALL THE RESORT SPECIFIC MUGS GO TO? I even sent an email to Disney to inquire about buying them but they have no answer. :confused::mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
10-04-2007, 08:40 AM
How do you know who has a "forever" mug and who has a plain ole' mug? Outside of the new mugs I wouldn't know. I guess I really don't pay much attention to whose using what mug - I'm there to have fun - not police everyone else.
The older mugs - what some here are calling the "forever mugs," have no script indicating the refill policy.

Newer mugs - the "non-forever mugs" have writing under the handle that states:
Free refills until the end of your stay. Refills only at location purchased.

jarajam
10-06-2007, 06:03 PM
we bought the mugs this trip and were told by all the CM we asked that they were good at ANY resort, not just the one you had reservations at. I just assumed the first CM we asked was mistaken, but we asked a few more times and they all said the same thing.
I was also surprized when I was told that except for table service meals, a child meal counted the same as an adults meal, that you didn't have to order of the kids menu for counter services bc they all counted the same. And on my receipts they all were counted together . (Table services were separated by adult and children0

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
10-06-2007, 06:18 PM
We have a couple of refillable mugs from our first trips, but really I don't get the draw. I would much rather have something in my room as far as drinks go. WDW resorts are usually so spread out that it takes a while to get to anyplace that refills mugs.

We like to buy drinks (and snacks) and have them in the room. That way we are assured of having what we like, immediately.

vamaggie
10-06-2007, 06:45 PM
, I also think the mugs should be good at every resort.

I thought I read that the new YOMD mugs WERE re-fillable at any resort as long as it was for the trip you bought it on. I too am bummed that the resport mugs were not available. Was hoping to add a Poly one to our WL ones.

Tink65
10-06-2007, 08:24 PM
We just returned from a Disney trip and I did use my mug at a different resort than the one we were staying at. If I am staying at one resort and decide to eat at another one.. I should be able to use my same mug. <snip>. We live 6 hours away and go quite often. I think that we have about 2 or more mugs from every resort. I would not buy that many mugs within one year that are the same. However most of the time we never use them because we have drinks in our room and never make it to the food court. I perfer to drink Dr Pepper and that is considered a Pepsi product and is not sold on Disney property.

Tink&Goofy
10-07-2007, 01:48 AM
And, they wouldn't have started putting in refillable staions at the EPCOT CS locations if they were already losing money in the resorts.

So you can now get refills at EPCOT CS? Is this new? We haven't bought them before, because we don't spend much time in the room - I would like it for coffee in the am, and maybe something after we return, but if they can be used in EPCOT, they may make it more appealing.

Also - if they loosened up the rule on "at the resort of purchase" we would likely buy them. Next March we are staying 10 days at two different resorts. It would make no sense for us to have to buy two separate mugs for the same visit, just because we move resorts.

TammiMcMan
10-07-2007, 09:44 AM
So you can now get refills at EPCOT CS? Is this new? We haven't bought them before, because we don't spend much time in the room - I would like it for coffee in the am, and maybe something after we return, but if they can be used in EPCOT, they may make it more appealing.You can refill a drink bought at that particular CS, not your resort mug.

Moderator Alert
This thread is fine for posting your opinion about the current Disney policy regarding refillable mugs. However, anyone who discusses how to cheat the system will be edited.

ToDisney
10-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Like some others that posted here, I liked collecting "different" mugs from the Resorts we have stayed at. Now with the news that they all look alike, I am wondering, well...
:blush: what do they look like?

63 days til Disney!

LuckyMum22
10-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Here's the photo:
http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/55/555/3/24/20/2964324200073021814Kwalma_th.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560976394BAZceF)
Sorry it is just a thumbnail picture...I made an album just for this picture at webshots if you want to see the whole image. I always use the same screen name so it is easy to find!
I tried!

Mickey91
10-08-2007, 10:31 AM
So you can now get refills at EPCOT CS? Is this new? We haven't bought them before, because we don't spend much time in the room - I would like it for coffee in the am, and maybe something after we return, but if they can be used in EPCOT, they may make it more appealing.

Also - if they loosened up the rule on "at the resort of purchase" we would likely buy them. Next March we are staying 10 days at two different resorts. It would make no sense for us to have to buy two separate mugs for the same visit, just because we move resorts.

I apologize if I made it sound like you could use your resort mug at EPCOT. You have to purchase a drink from the CS location. Then, during your meal (not the entire day) you can get refills. Sorry for the confusion.:blush:

Von-Drake
10-08-2007, 12:21 PM
I guess it depends on the amount of time you spend in your room or on resort property. I know for my family it would probably not be worth the expense. We spend little time in the room and when we are there we are usually tired of walking all day. We usually have a small cooler and some soft drinks we keep in the room. Fill the cooler with ice and soda and water in the room and it's waiting when we get back. I have seen some people carry their mugs by the food courts in the morning and fill them up, but I can not imagine having to keep up with a mug in the parks all day, even if planning to fill it back up on the way back in.

Seasonscraps
10-08-2007, 12:33 PM
I have seen some people carry their mugs by the food courts in the morning and fill them up, but I can not imagine having to keep up with a mug in the parks all day, even if planning to fill it back up on the way back in.

That's how I feel about it. Everytime I receive a vacation survey from Disney I suggest a cup that's good around the world. I wouldn't mind carrying it if I could refill it in the parks.

January-2007
10-08-2007, 05:05 PM
I wonder if drinks and/or mugs would be less expensive if they didn't have to cover the cost of those who don't abide by the rule.

No, they'd be just as expensive. Fountain sodas are pennies a piece, they aren't going bankrupt over this. More people follow the rules than don't, even if it is frustrating to watch someone blatantly disregard them and not have any consequences.

ToDisney
10-09-2007, 03:13 AM
Here's the photo:
http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/55/555/3/24/20/2964324200073021814Kwalma_th.jpg (http://http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/55/555/3/24/20/2964324200073021814Kwalma_th.jpg)
Sorry it is just a thumbnail picture...I made an album just for this picture at webshots if you want to see the whole image. I always use the same screen name so it is easy to find!
I tried!

Thanks
I found your pictures, by the way, they are nice. But not one of the cups:confused:
Must just be me. But the small thump pic, at least I could tell a little about them
Thanks again.
We will probably go ahead and get a couple.
:mickey:
Just can't wait!!

pennsy22
10-09-2007, 04:33 AM

Hey, we just moved down from Indiana, we got tired of hauling our 10 year old mugs back and forth. My favorite is my 25th Anniversary mug from DL. Maybe we'll see you, we're checking in the 17th and out the 21st.

martinfamily5
10-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Hey, we just moved down from Indiana, we got tired of hauling our 10 year old mugs back and forth. My favorite is my 25th Anniversary mug from DL. Maybe we'll see you, we're checking in the 17th and out the 21st.

Hey:number1:, I moved from Tarpon Springs (22 years ago) to Martinsville, IN.

We will be at Disney from Oct 19-27.

pennsy22
10-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Hey:number1:, I moved from Tarpon Springs (22 years ago) to Martinsville, IN.

We will be at Disney from Oct 19-27.

Wow it's a small world after all!:ack: Sorry, I know that was bad. Are you enjoying the weather up there? :freeze: I here it's going to be in the 30's by this weekend.

Kathie_WE
10-11-2007, 07:05 AM
Ok, I admit it, we are guilty! We have 2 sets of mugs -- 1 from our favorite value resort and the other from our favorite moderate resort. <snip>

<snip>

Besides, having the mugs encourages us to go to the dining area which encourages us to spend more money.

<snip>

Thanks for the reminder....

martinfamily5
10-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Wow it's a small world after all!:ack: Sorry, I know that was bad. Are you enjoying the weather up there? :freeze: I here it's going to be in the 30's by this weekend.

The weather here is crazy (but that is Indiana weather). Monday and Tuesday it was in the 90's then Wednesday and today it is in the 50's. Uggggg. I like the high 70's, low 80's. Where in Indiana did you live?

vicster
10-11-2007, 03:14 PM
The older mugs - what some here are calling the "forever mugs," have no script indicating the refill policy.

Newer mugs - the "non-forever mugs" have writing under the handle that states:
Free refills until the end of your stay. Refills only at location purchased.

Thank you for that - I had no idea there are forever mugs. I will definitely have to check mine out.