PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with Intercot (Oct. 2007)

disneydrmr
10-02-2007, 11:08 AM
:chef: Welp, here's the thread for all us Intercot Foodies.... it's fall... time for that wonderful harvest of foods... let's try to share some of our favorite soup recipes, pumpkin recipes, apple recipes.. etc...

JanetMegan
10-02-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm anxiously awaiting a little cooler weather here so I can break out the Chili, Stew and other soup recipes!

disneydrmr
10-02-2007, 01:40 PM
I'm anxiously awaiting a little cooler weather here so I can break out the Chili, Stew and other soup recipes!

I don't have it with me today.. but tomorrow I wil post the Chili recipe of the chili that won top prize at our chili cook off! It was AWESOME! It has cooled off here and I've made a few soups, but it's gonna heat up again by this weekend... I have plans to make a Creamy Steak Soup on Friday.. if it turns out I'll post that recipe also (it's a crock pot one)...

disneydrmr
10-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Here's the recipe for the chili that won 1st place in my church's cook off...

1lb bulk pork sausage
1lb ground chuck
2 cans (15 1/2 or each) hot chili beans
1 (16oz) jar salsa
1 (16oz) can kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
1 (15oz) can pinto beans (rinsed and drained)
1 (14 1/2oz) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
1 (10 3/4oz) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
8 oz process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
1 1/2 tsps. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

In soup kettle or dutch oven cook sausage and beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Yield: 14 servings

McGoofy
10-11-2007, 03:16 PM
I need some ideas here. It's been a while since I have had dinner at Ohana's. I do know that I love the chicken wings though.

TBY2225 was kind enough to share her recipe for the Ohana chicken wing sauce with me. So some friends of mine decided that we are going to get together and do a tropical themed dinner tomorrow night. I'm going to do the chicken wings and some rice. I also bought some red & green peppers, pineapple chunks, onions, & cherry tomatoes. I figure we can skewer some chicken as well with those ingredients. I also have the ingredients to make lapu lapus. What else do you think? I think we need some sweet rolls or something, but I was trying to remember what all Ohana's serves with their meal.:papple::lei::papple:

JanetMegan
10-12-2007, 09:19 AM
I have a recipe I want to try that requires 3 1/2 cups of shelled green peas?? I don't think I can buy peas shelled or unshelled right now at the store. Any ideas? Will I have to use frozen peas and just stir them in at the end? In the recipe you cook the peas with the rice and stock for like 35 mins...

JanetMegan
10-12-2007, 09:20 AM
TBY2225 was kind enough to share her recipe for the Ohana chicken wing sauce with me.

Ooo can you post it here?

MissStyles
10-15-2007, 11:28 AM
i can't wait to try these out sometime soon:

Iced Pumpkin Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup vanilla or white chips
1 cup granola without raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup dried cranberries

Icing:
¼ cup butter, softened
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
3 tablespoons milk

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Beat in egg and pumpkin.

Combine the flours, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, salt, baking soda, nutmeg
and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in the chips, granola, walnuts
and cranberries.

Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for
15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.

In a small mixing bowl, combine icing ingredients until smooth. Frost cookies.
Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen

offwego
10-17-2007, 08:57 AM
I have a recipe I want to try that requires 3 1/2 cups of shelled green peas?? I don't think I can buy peas shelled or unshelled right now at the store. Any ideas? Will I have to use frozen peas and just stir them in at the end? In the recipe you cook the peas with the rice and stock for like 35 mins...

You can subistute frozen but I wouldn't cook them for that long (perhaps 15 minutes or so)

merlinmagic4
10-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Hi!'

I'm trying a new recipe I got right here on Intercot! I opened a can of coconut milk and it was curdled looking, not smooth like regular milk. Is it bad? I've never used it before! Help!

floridamom
10-30-2007, 07:38 PM
We use it quite a bit, especially in Thai recipes. I've never thought of it as "curdled"-- I think it just separates in the can--try shaking or mixing it up. :mickey:

merlinmagic4
10-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Thanks! I was actually reading how it isn't milk (duh!). I cooked the meal with it (curried chicken) and we just ate it. It was really good! Thanks for answering my post; it eased my mind :)

offwego
10-31-2007, 09:07 AM
Just to add a little extra comfort. This is totally normal!

merlinmagic4
10-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Well, I figured since no one was up all night :sick: that it was okay! Thanks :) I'm a cooking novice, can you tell?:confused:

murphy1
10-31-2007, 01:07 PM
Ooh, I love using coconut milk in recipes too. I use it in a shrimp dish too, as well as Thai like chicken satay. I use the Peanut Satay mix near the Oriental food section. It's great that you're trying new things, that's how you learn!

MsMin
10-31-2007, 06:01 PM
I just got the greatest email. it's filled with cookie names and when you click on the name the recipe pops up. Anyone want a copy just msg me. I don't know if it would work on here or if it would take a lot of draw w/ so many links....
I'm thinking of cookies now :D