PDA

View Full Version : flat screen tv

last real pirate
09-30-2007, 06:14 PM
my wife and i are checking into buying a tv for our new house. what type of flat screen do you have and what do you like or dislike about it?

DVC2004
10-01-2007, 11:54 AM
We have two large screen flat screens- one in the media room is a Samsung DLP HD TV. It has a flat screen but is not completely flat in back (You can't hang it on the wall). The other is a Sharp Aquos LCD TV in our bedroom. I love my Sharp- picture is crystal clear and the brightness automatically adjusts to the amount of light in the room. I would highly recommend the Sharp Aquos.

baldburke
10-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Two words...Sony Bravia. IMHO they have the best picture of any LCD TV. Of course, you get what you pay for. And for a Bravia you will pay. But it is an investment and you will still be pleased 3 or 4 years down the road. Oh, and go big. As big as you can afford. You won't be sorry that way either.

Advnt05
10-02-2007, 09:01 AM
How's the picture on the DLP? I've heard that it's great. Outside of not being flat in the back, is the picture as good as the LCD?

I have a Toshiba 55" rear projection TV. I like the size of the screen and the picture quality but it does take up my entire room. At my current stage of life, I'd sacrifice picture size for one I can hang on the wall and get off the floor.

I read some report yesterday of Sony releasing some new type of TV that is super sharp (Some type of gas). They are only in small sizes this next year and around $1700. Might be the first of the next generation of flat screens.

SpecJoe Magic
10-03-2007, 04:32 AM
We have a 42'' Sony Grand WEGA that we like. It's an LCD. My wife and I aren't picky about picture, but it definitely looks good to us. Its resolution goes up to 1080i, but we run it on 720p because we think progressive scan is more important than extra resolution. It's not the kind that can be hung on the wall, but it's extremely lightweight and doesn't require an extremely sturdy stand to support it. It has plenty of inputs including multiple HDMI, multiple component, S-video and multiple composite. The speakers are well-integrated into the TV so that they don't stick out on the sides and take up extra surface space. The only negative thing about it is that the sound isn't extremely powerful, but the volume level has a big range so that it can be turned up a lot, so sound won't be a problem unless you put it in a huge room and watch it from a far distance. I consider it to be a good mid-range TV when compared to other flat screen TVs. We paid $1400 for it almost a year ago, but it might be cheaper than that now. Of course, there are 1080p televisions available, but they cost quite a bit more.

Through the looking Glass
10-03-2007, 08:49 PM
We have a Samsung 46" LCD- Love it. Pay attention to the contrast numbers. The higher it is the sharper it looks. Ours is 15,000-1. The picture is incredible. Paid 2300$ at Circut city. I'm kinda addicted to HD programs now.

nicole48040
10-04-2007, 12:49 AM
We have two large screen flat screens- one in the media room is a Samsung DLP HD TV. It has a flat screen but is not completely flat in back (You can't hang it on the wall). The other is a Sharp Aquos LCD TV in our bedroom. I love my Sharp- picture is crystal clear and the brightness automatically adjusts to the amount of light in the room. I would highly recommend the Sharp Aquos.

We have the big the Sharp Aquos in our livingroom and loved it so much that we bought a smaller version for our bedroom. The only negative is that if you have small children, you should really hang it on the wall because greasy lil fingerprints are impossible to get completely off the screen (if anyone knows how PLEASE PM me!). Just a little F.Y.I.

last real pirate
10-04-2007, 08:19 PM
thanks for all the tips. i am going shopping this weekend and now i know more of what to look for. thanks again.

DVC2004
10-05-2007, 11:54 AM
How's the picture on the DLP? I've heard that it's great. Outside of not being flat in the back, is the picture as good as the LCD?

The picture on the DLP is great. I would say it's just as good as the LCD.:thumbsup:

Sinewiz
10-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks for all the information. I'm in the market as well. :thumbsup: