PDA

View Full Version : Point Exchange

diz_girl
09-30-2007, 01:24 PM
This topic may have been discussed before, but I can't find the thread in the DVC section.

If I wanted to exchange my points for a stay at the Polynesian or the Grand Floridian in either January or May, how much would they be? I guess that Sun-Thurs would all have the same points for each resort, as would Fri-Sat. Or would it be better to rent my points and use the proceeds to pay for some or all of my hotel stay? I wouldn't do this regularly, just once in a while, like for a special anniversary.

Just some background. I'm not a DVC member, but I'm considering membership. My family are Magic Kingdom fans and we have only stayed near the MK for all of our WDW trips. We are planning to go to WDW every other year, for about a week each trip. We would need three studios and I was thinking that I would need to purchase 200 points to cover it. The arrangements are DH and DS (and any future children) in one studio, DSis and BIL and their two children in another room, with Dad and Mom in the third room. My family loves WL, so the VWL would most likely be our home resort, purchasing resale.

Thanks.

Maleficent's Dad
09-30-2007, 02:16 PM
If I wanted to exchange my points for a stay at the Polynesian or the Grand Floridian in either January or May, how much would they be? I guess that Sun-Thurs would all have the same points for each resort, as would Fri-Sat.
You'll find that it's not a good "exchange rate" to go to WDW resorts outside of DVC using points. I've never rented, so I can't speak to that angle.

The following are points per night:

For the GF in January:
Sun-Thurs is 40 points for Garden, 48 for Lagoon, and 70 for "Royal Palm Club."
These go up to 72, 86, & 126 points on Friday - Saturday.

In May at the GF:
Sun-Thurs would be 46, 55, & 79 for the same type of rooms above.
Fri-Sat would be 83, 99, & 142 points.

For the Poly:
January:
Sun-Thurs would be 36 for Garden View, 46 for Lagoon View, and 59 for King Kamehameha Club.
Fri - Saturday is 64, 83, & 106 points for same rooms.

May at Poly:
Sun - Thurs - 41, 52, 67 points per night
Fri-Sat - 74, 94, & 119.

Good luck with your decision! :mickey:

MinnieMommie
09-30-2007, 06:20 PM
It would be a better use of points to stay at WL if you plan to make that your home resort then to exchange for a monorail resort. This is how many points you will need to stay at WL in a studio for a week in January and May. You will need to muliply the number by 3 if you plan to utilize 3 studios:

WL in January for 1 week: 104 pts.
S-Th = 12 pts per night
F, S = 22 pts per night

WL in May for 1 week: 123 pts
S-Th = 13 pts per night
F, S = 29 pts per night

:mickey:

CarolMN
09-30-2007, 07:43 PM
Also, starting in 2008, DVC members have to pay a $95 fee to stay at the non-DVC WDW resorts on points.

diz_girl
10-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks everyone for the information. The exchange rates from Sun-Thu don't seem to be that horrible. A membership of 200 points looks like it could buy a 5-night midweek stay at the Poly, which normally costs about $1600 or$2000, depending on if it's January or May. That's not bad. Obviously, it's better to use points at a DVC resort, but I was just curious to see how bad the exchange rates were. As I wrote in my original e-mail, I wouldn't do it on a regular basis, if at all. It might be for a special occasion or something.