PDA

View Full Version : Just Booked Excursion... Any Recommendations?

RobWreck
09-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Hey All,
Just confirmed my excursions for our upcoming 7 day Western Carribbean cruise and I figured I'd post the list and solicit recommendations or feedback. Here goes...

12/29 Day 1 - Set Sail
12/30 Day 2 - Key West
Glassbottom Boat Tour on The Pride of Key West
12/31 Day 3 - At Sea - Formal Night (New Year's Eve)
Well Being Massage for Couples
01/01 Day 4 - Grand Cayman
Sea Trek Grand Cayman
Atlantis Submarine Expedition
01/02 Day 5 - Cozumel - Pirate Night
Xcaret Eco Archeological Park
01/03 Day 6 - At Sea - Semi-Formal Night
Palo Dinner
01/04 Day 7 - Castaway Cay
Personal Watercraft Eco Tour - Single
01/05 Day 8 - Return to Port :(

Also, any idea where the "Pirate Soul and Shipwreck Historeum" is in relation to the port in Key West? Is it walking distance? We couldn't schedule both the glass-bottom boat tour and the pirate museum because of the scheduling constraints, so we were thinking about seeing it outside of an excursion.
Thanks,
Rob

TammiMcMan
09-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Hey All,
Just confirmed my excursions for our upcoming 7 day Western Carribbean cruise and I figured I'd post the list and solicit recommendations or feedback. Here goes...

12/30 Day 2 - Key West
Glassbottom Boat Tour on The Pride of Key West
01/01 Day 4 - Grand Cayman
Sea Trek Grand Cayman
Atlantis Submarine Expedition

Also, any idea where the "Pirate Soul and Shipwreck Historeum" is in relation to the port in Key West? Is it walking distance? I think your plans sound great. Although I'd probably bypass any Disney excursions on Key West and just opt for the Old Town Trolley tour on your own. You can hop on and off anywhere along it's route and it's one of the better walking ports that you'll encounter. If you plug the address for the historeum into mapquest (1 Whitehead Street, Key West), you'll see it's within a 1/4 to 1/2 mile walk from the boat terminal. Definitely something you can do on your own.

Making 2 separate excurision bookings for the Caymans may be a good idea as well. I'm not sure if any of the shops and restaurants will be open due to the holiday. Disney excursions or onboard activities may be your only options on New Years day.

ElenitaB
09-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Can I say for the record how jealous I am? You are going to have such a great time!

I've googled those venues before and it seems to be very close to the dock. and are 0.16 miles away from each other. I'll ask a friend from Key West just to be sure and let you know. Many do seem to visit this museum on their own. BTW, they might have discount coupons or reduced prices if you buy your tickets on their websites. The Pirate Soul museum appears to be 3-7 blocks from the cruise ship docks (it's hard to tell which ship docks where).

Hope that helps. I'll let you know as soon as I hear back from my friend or maybe a former Western Carib cruiser will post.

missdani
10-28-2007, 12:18 PM
We just returned from our 7 day cruise, and on Key West we took the old town trolley tour on our own. The Kids found it boring, and when we did "hop" on and off, we had a hard time getting back on due to trolley being full. The pirate museum is just righ there when you get off. Grand Cayman is so beautiful, we actually rented a PT Cruiser convertable and drove up to Rum Point beach. I only forgot to drive on the wrong side of the road once! We also drove to Tortuga Rum cake factory for free samples. I recommend Rum Point Beach if you can get there. We actually arrived about 1/2 hour before those on the excursion and we stopped at the rum cake factory first. Dont miss Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville in Grand Cayman, they have a pool with a slide on the second floor for paying customers and you can see the ship from the balcony. FUN FUN FUN. Enjoy your trip.

Tinkermom
10-29-2007, 09:40 AM
We just returned from our 7 day cruise, and on Key West we took the old town trolley tour on our own. The Kids found it boring, and when we did "hop" on and off, we had a hard time getting back on due to trolley being full. The pirate museum is just righ there when you get off. Grand Cayman is so beautiful, we actually rented a PT Cruiser convertable and drove up to Rum Point beach. I only forgot to drive on the wrong side of the road once! We also drove to Tortuga Rum cake factory for free samples. I recommend Rum Point Beach if you can get there. We actually arrived about 1/2 hour before those on the excursion and we stopped at the rum cake factory first. Dont miss Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville in Grand Cayman, they have a pool with a slide on the second floor for paying customers and you can see the ship from the balcony. FUN FUN FUN. Enjoy your trip.

OH man, that sounds like so much fun! We are going on the Western cruise in February. DH and I have been going crazy trying to decide what to do in Grand Cayman. We have 3 kids, ages 13, 11, and 6.

Couple of questions:
How did you get your car? Did you book it ahead of time,if so where? WIll it seat 5? How and where did you return the car?

Is there a charge to get onto Rum Point Beach? Did you get a map from somewhere so you knew how to get around?

My kids would love the pool and slide at Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville.

I think will will steal your "excursion"! Sounds perfect for our family.:thumbsup:

missdani
10-31-2007, 12:23 PM
We booked our car rental online with Avis. They gave us a map, and we had few problems getting aound, however it is a little confusing around the airport! You just arrive at the port and it is a short walk to the Blue Iguana shop where they call for you. A courtesy car picks you up with a short 12-15 min wait and takes you to the rental car. You just drop it off at the same point and they take you back to the port. Rum point beach is a public beach and there is no charge. There is a bar/restaurant right there and the area is beautiful, as well as the drive back! We would have had time to go to "Hell" also but we had a little mishap with a lost credit card so we spent time and money calling the banks back home. Let me tell you it is not easy to bank from Grand Cayman. We got the PT cruiser, with 5 it was tight. It stated the rental was for 4 so check and see what kind of car would hold your family. They also have a jeep for rent, it may have a bigger back seat. They are very promt in replying to any questions by e-mail.
I will get the address to you.

missdani
10-31-2007, 12:28 PM
The web address is <snip> The price was only $93.00 US, all inclusive since you have to "buy" a temp. driving permit. After figuring the cost to buy excursions for 5 we liked the freedom of going where we wanted and saving money as well. Hope it works out for you. It was a highlight of our trip!

Moderator Note: Unfortunately, we cannot allow direct links to outside websites. Please feel free to PM the information to the OP. Thank you

missdani
10-31-2007, 04:07 PM
oops, sorry didn't know that. Let me know how I can get it to you.

DOPEY321
11-01-2007, 08:19 AM
I went to Xcaret a few years back while vacationing in Mexico. It was great. I was with my family of 16 at the time (now mom has 1516 grandchildren), and everyone ranging from age 2 to 55 had a lot of fun. There was underground caves to explore, dolphin shows, a restaurant, and a beach to relax on. Just to name a few. If I went back, I would definately do it again. This time with my kids.:thumbsup: