PDA

View Full Version : MNSSHP vs Universal Halloween Horror Nights

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
09-28-2007, 10:35 PM
I don't know if this can stay in this main forum, or should be moved to another...

How would you compare MNSSHP to Universal's Halloween Horror Nights? I know they're very different as far as scare factor, but I'd like to know about the differences in the two in areas like:

- Overall experience
- Crowd levels
- Things to do/see

Again, I know that the Universal nights are intended for a much older audience, but, I'm saying, just in general.

ISLE39
09-29-2007, 03:44 AM
i am so glad u asked this question. i have neem going to hhn for about 7 years now and im from ny and i will again be there this month coming up. u can email me at [email protected] for any specific questions u may have butill answer the ones you asked here.

crowds as u know yes its for older people i see some kids there mostly boys around 12 but not many little girls. it is rather scary towards kids. the crowds are ridiculous the wait times get to be 90 minutes to 2 hours plus on some houses if you dont get there early or buy the express pass. as for the crowds bc its older there is a lot of alcohol consumtion going on.

the overall experience is just awesome bc the houses are really cool the shows especially bill and teds is hysterical cant be missed and teh scare factor eeps you on your toes. the fact that universal offers a frequent fear pass for the month long event is great too. u pay the same price as a one day pass for all the odd days sun thru thursdays. so if your trip like mine is 5 days and you have anyof those days in there you can go more than one and its not extra just not fri and satme im going wed oct 24,25 and sun 28th. compared to mnsshp which ill be attending to on the 26th and have also attended every year its not a comparison. 2 completely different things. mnsshp is fun its dressing up which you CANT do in universal for hhn. you tick or treat and see shows are parades and fireworks. they are on 2 different levels overall. and i RECOMMEND both for different reasons

that partially also covered the things to do and see. at mnsshp i guess since u can get in at 4pm and the party starts at 7 i would ride the rides for those 3 hours and i would eat a very late lunch 230 3pm so ur not wasting time later bc at 7pm i wanna trick or treat which the lines are so fast. i wanna see the shows and buy the stuff you cant do during the day. i dont wanna miss the parade or the fireworks. teh one ride i dont wanna miss at mnsshp is the haunted mansion. ay universal the party is at 7as well they let you in beginning around 630 unfortunatly its still light for a short time. but you head in and you go straight to the houses while there are no lines do as many as possible. then later when the lines pick up u do a ride or 2 my fav the mummy. you want to see teh shwos bill n teds not to be missed. rocky horror show is new but i dont wanna miss it. they used to have a parade called the festival of the dead and you got beads and coins but they stopped it 2 years ago that was the last one. if your there i would go to both BOTH TO ME ARE NOT TO BE MISSED.
please email me if you have specific questions.

Sweezy
09-29-2007, 04:17 PM
I really cant comment too much on the MNSSHP as ive never been, but halloween horror nights at Islands of Adventure is more than worth it. The whole thing is done extremely well...especially the houses. Its really a fun time and even gets your adrenaline running a bit at times...you really never know when some crazy thing might jump out at you, no matter where you are the entire night, and as I said the houses are crazy. Crowds indeed are pretty heavy so id recommend the express pass too.

ISLE39
09-29-2007, 05:32 PM
hhn is at usf this year as it was last year it hasnt been at ioa since 2005. hopefully it wille xpand AGAIN to both parks as it did a few years ago

Terra
09-29-2007, 06:12 PM
I can't comment on MNSSHP, but I have been to HHN as well..
And I'm in the great minority because I thought it was just awful. Too many drunk people. The haunted houses were just childish IMO...when they jumped out at me I just laughed...very predictable.

And the worst part to me was that many people had gottne sick because of all the drinking and I kid you not, I saw at least 8 different spots with vomit! Just along the walkway, waiting in lines...it just turned my stomach.

I heard terrible langauge. Much more than I ever hear at Disney and yes I realize that people have that right. People making out that was beyond a friendly kiss...
I was just shocked that grown men and women really act that way. Such a different crowd than Disney.

I will never go back to HHN or IOA. It left that bad a taste in my mouth!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-30-2007, 02:45 AM
I can't comment on MNSSHP, but I have been to HHN as well..
And I'm in the great minority because I thought it was just awful. Too many drunk people. The haunted houses were just childish IMO...when they jumped out at me I just laughed...very predictable.

And the worst part to me was that many people had gottne sick because of all the drinking and I kid you not, I saw at least 8 different spots with vomit! Just along the walkway, waiting in lines...it just turned my stomach.

I heard terrible langauge. Much more than I ever hear at Disney and yes I realize that people have that right. People making out that was beyond a friendly kiss...
I was just shocked that grown men and women really act that way. Such a different crowd than Disney.

I will never go back to HHN or IOA. It left that bad a taste in my mouth!

And this is exactly why IoA or USF will never be able to dent Disney's business, even with Potterland.

Magic Kingdom = 16.6 Million
IOA = 5.6 Mil
USF = 6 Mil
Two parks can't even beat one.

As for the OP, HHN is a completely different atmosphere than MNSSHP but I believe it is worth it to go. I've been going every year and I've never gotten an express pass. If you time the trip correctly, you don't need it. We got there at 7 when it started (on a weekend, Saturday I believe). Got all the houses and most major rides done by 10 pm. So we saw Bill and Ted (AMAZING!!!! Absolutely hysterical) and repeated some houses.

Scale 1-5
Scare factor = 2 (for me, anyways)
I don't scare easily and the only time I jumped was when one of the performers literally stopped right in front of me and I almost ran into him.

Crowds = 3 - 4
It can be very crowded and usually is. The most I waited in line was about 60 minutes, but that was in the middle of the party, after we had already ridden everything (most of which was about 10-30. The audience is older, and therefore not in the same type of demographics as those who go to Disney.

Overall, HHN = 4

Keep in mind - Magic Kingdom is a dry park. Universal is not. It would be like F&W at Epcot...there are a good portion of Guests who've had too much. Or those coming out of PI/HOB on the weekends.

MNSSHP is also a great time. The parade and fireworks alone is worth the money. And the music gets stuck in your head. Characters are out. Well, there are enough bored here promoting it. You can wear costumes to it (you can't to HHN).

Both are good, I will be at both this year as well, as I will be every year.

Terra
09-30-2007, 07:23 PM
And this is exactly why IoA or USF will never be able to dent Disney's business, even with Potterland.

Magic Kingdom = 16.6 Million
IOA = 5.6 Mil
USF = 6 Mil
Two parks can't even beat one.

Oh wow, I didn't know that statistic!
Thanks!!! That's rather amazing!

And gosh, maybe we just caught HHN on an off night....it was totally crazy...
but then again....I can't stand to be around drunk people at all...I've never seen anyone at EPCOT that drunk...LOL