PDA

View Full Version : CM Mischief

monkeycity
09-27-2007, 11:43 AM
So, reading another thread got me curious: Have there ever been instances where a CM has added something to the theming of an attraction or removed something :plot:, only later to be discovered by management, Imagineering, etc. that you think added or took away from the experience?

tomorrowschild
09-27-2007, 12:22 PM
I can't think of anything that would get a CM in trouble. But, when I was on HM a few years ago a CM added to my experience. We were standing in the stretching room. A male CM came up behind me and shouted boooo. I got so scared (I wasn't expecting it at all). I screamed and everyone laughed at me. I didn't mind. But, I think that some might find this hard to take, or feel that it would wreck the experience.

DisneyTwinsMommy
09-27-2007, 12:30 PM
I know that the Hidden Mickey in the HM (the one that is made by the dinner plates in the dining room) is NOT supposed to be there... Under every place setting, there is a photograph of what the place setting is supposed to look like at each place.

Whenever the Imagineers come through they will change the place setting back to it's proper place... then a CM will change it back after they have gone, hey, they get to be part of the magic too!! :mickey:

Ian
09-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Emily swears she saw sunglasses on one of the Pirates once ...

Of course, I think she's nuts. ;)

princessM0m
09-27-2007, 02:17 PM
I can't think of anything that would get a CM in trouble. But, when I was on HM a few years ago a CM added to my experience. We were standing in the stretching room. A male CM came up behind me and shouted boooo. I got so scared (I wasn't expecting it at all). I screamed and everyone laughed at me. I didn't mind. But, I think that some might find this hard to take, or feel that it would wreck the experience.

A CM did this to me too, on our honeymoon. The park was closing and we were rushing to get one last ride in (it's our fave) and the CM "got me" just as we walked through the front door with at "STEP LIVELY PLEASE!" If you look up, can can see the impressions of my fingers dug into the ceiling when I jumped out of my skin. Another one got me just as we sat down in our Doombuggy with a gigantic BOO! :thedolls: It was great--that ride will always be one of my fondest memories.

cal5755
09-27-2007, 03:08 PM
A CM did this to me too, on our honeymoon. The park was closing and we were rushing to get one last ride in (it's our fave) and the CM "got me" just as we walked through the front door with at "STEP LIVELY PLEASE!" If you look up, can can see the impressions of my fingers dug into the ceiling when I jumped out of my skin. Another one got me just as we sat down in our Doombuggy with a gigantic BOO! :thedolls: It was great--that ride will always be one of my fondest memories.

We got the big booooo when we were seated in our buggy... the CM must have walked back a few steps and poked his head around and screamed BOO..... but my DD8 revealed she was afraid of nothing as we got in lol. She jumped a foot as did I. We thought it was fun!!

IloveDisney71
09-27-2007, 05:07 PM
This experience was something that a CM did and it was also in the HM. My girls were 8 and 9 and just loved the HM so we were on our 3 trip through, during about a 30 minute time period. Anyway, my oldest daughter started mimicking the CM's expression as she got off the ride. She looked him right in the eye and got really close to him - she was fearless. I teasingly told her that she better watch out. Well when she turned around, he got behind her, tapped her on the shoulder and leaned around her very quickly - she jumped about 2 feet in the air because she thought he had walked in the other direction. We all started dying laughing. We still laugh about it today and I think this is one of the reasons it is one of her favorite rides.:hmghost:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-27-2007, 05:17 PM
From my understanding, the plates are now permanent at HM. It was made official during the refurb. But that might have been more CM legend.

SgtTigger
09-27-2007, 07:20 PM
Me and my niece (13 years old) were the last ones out of the stretching room and the last on the doombuggies.... well the CM leaned over the top side and rode the belt all the way to the end just leaning over the side looking at her....... It was so cool...... I guess you had to be there.... but I thought it was so funny........ My niece did not........

:cop: :tigger:

WDWFanatic
09-27-2007, 09:07 PM
When I was in college I worked at HM. Let me say BEST JOB EVER!

It was common to try to scare people like that, but also to try to help little kids who looked scared feel better.

When my time was up myself and another cm left our shoes behind the bride. I'm sure they were removed years ago, but it's fun to think they were there for some time!

martinfamily5
09-28-2007, 10:30 AM

It was common to try to scare people like that, but also to try to help little kids who looked scared feel better.

When my time was up myself and another cm left our shoes behind the bride. I'm sure they were removed years ago, but it's fun to think they were there for some time!

That is too cool!!:thumbsup:I love when the CMs "mess" with you. It makes things so much fun.

mouseketeer mom
09-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Another HM story.
My son was wearing a shirt that said Today is My Birthday!!! It seemed to go unnoticed, then he and my DH were in the buggy in front of us and as they started on their way a CM quickly poked his head in the buggy and shouted HAP! E! Birthday!!
My son almost had a heart attack, and never went on the ride again.

Figgyluv03
09-28-2007, 12:27 PM

If I wasn't a lifeguard at CBR, this would have been the perfect job for me! I use to work at an amusement park during the summer and for a couple years we did Halloween and I got to be one of the character. They got bought out this year and the new owner is bringing back Halloween, so I'm looking forward to going back next year.

SurferStitch
09-28-2007, 12:35 PM
We also had a great CM on HM once. It was during an E night years ago, and we had just gotten into our Doom buggy. I sat furthest away from the loading platform.

Out of the darkness along the wall, a male CM came around the Doom buggy and screamed, scaring me half to death. DH and I laughed so hard, I thought I would throw up! That was awesome. :thumbsup:

To this day, I still wait for someone to come from that side of the buggy and scare the begeezes out of me.

alex61821
09-28-2007, 02:11 PM
the big question is what were Barry, Robin, and Maurice Gibb doing in you in the first place? ;)

monkeycity
09-28-2007, 02:46 PM
the big question is what were Barry, Robin, and Maurice Gibb doing in you in the first place? ;)

That's funny right there. I don't care who you are!!!

:funny::rotfl:

cal5755
09-28-2007, 03:11 PM

Way to funny!!!:haha::haha::funny::funny:

EPCOTcoffeegirl
09-28-2007, 09:52 PM
When I worked at EPCOT on my college program, I was a food and beverage hostess on the carts out in front of the American Adventure. I closed most nights so whilst cleaning and getting my cart "show ready" for the next day, guests would stop and ask me "which is the fastest way to the front of the park?".

I'd tell one group "that way"--and point right. The next group "that way" and point left ;-).

:note: I was usually at the cart right in front of the America Gardens Theatre :laughs:

SurferStitch
09-28-2007, 10:24 PM

:rotfl:

Honestly, I had to look back to see who you were referring to, and realized it was me. :blush:

:thumbsup:

Zone Stop
09-29-2007, 03:03 AM
There's two of them at Test Track...

The Test Dummy right after the truck is often redecorated during downtimes, and there's been a bonus Hidden Mickey at the crash scene for a few months now...

joelkfla
09-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Also at TT: for the first few months it was open, there were 3 magnets on a white board arranged in a Mickey pattern. They disappeared, so I assume it was an unauthorized Hidden Mickey.

GhostHost999
09-29-2007, 12:18 PM
here's one from the Jungle Cruise...

It was very close to one of the later closing times. My g/f and I (now ex) wanted to squeeze in one last ride (amazing how common that is) and we were walking by the Jungle Cruise which looked really empty so we decided, why not try it? So now a boat is leaving the dock and the captan was a female CM with flaming red hair. We get on our boat and our captain was a male CM going through his usual spiel. There were maybe ten of us (all adults). Then he stops his spiel and asks how many of us are firmiliar with Pirates of the Caribbean. A few of us (myself included) raised our hands. And so the cpatain says, "Ok, when we get to the point where we pass the other boat, I want you guys to jump up and holler out 'We wants the red-head!!'" So of course we were all up for that. A few moments later we got to the crossing point, and we all jumped up (doing our best rowdy pirate crew impression) and loudly screamed out "We wants the red-head!! We wants the red-head!!" The female CM burst out laughing when she saw and heard us and the male CM said that was the best and that we had made his week. :thumbsup:

jclightchasr
09-29-2007, 02:19 PM
there is a small constelation in SE that depicts Mickeys head with an arrow shot through it. My friend and former CM pointed it out to me back in the early 90s. He stated it was the imagineers way of venting frustration over the rides design.

Natazu
09-30-2007, 05:16 AM
There's an ongoing battle with the unofficial "hidden Mickey" done with dinner and salad plates in the HM dining room scene. We like to watch for it to see who's winning, imagineering or the CMs.