PDA

View Full Version : How many people are considered a "group?"

McGoofy
09-27-2007, 10:27 AM
A few months ago, I called dining reservations regarding a breakfast reservation at Whispering Canyon Cafe 13 people. The CM told me that many people were considered a "group," put me on hold, and transferred me over to a special person for dining reservations. I remember something about the number "8." I am trying to remember whether or not she said "8" or more is considered a group or if "8" or less is NOT a group. The reason I need to know is because some people in our party have changed their minds and don't want to go now. We have exactly 8 people that are still interested. I was also told that at Whispering Canyon Cafe, "groups" could only have reservations before 8am. We got scheduled for a very early breakfast. The 8 of us would like a later breakfast than what the original breakfast reservations were for, so if 8 is still the magic number for a group, then we will split into "4" and make 2 separate reservations for a later breakfast.

What is the maximum number of people that can eat at one table at Whispering Canyon Cafe after 9:00am? Can anybody help?:confused:

MsMin
09-27-2007, 11:49 AM
8 is the magic # for a group. It's a grand gathering and you must have 8 in your party at any of the grand gathering activities. I don't think it effects your dining plans as much as the outside events you may enlist in e.g. the International Dining or Safari for grand gatherings. These you MUST have 8 in your party. Check them out you may find something that will be of interest. I think you can still get grand gathering merchandise too.

McGoofy
09-27-2007, 12:32 PM
8 is the magic # for a group. It's a grand gathering and you must have 8 in your party at any of the grand gathering activities. I don't think it effects your dining plans as much as the outside events you may enlist in e.g. the International Dining or Safari for grand gatherings. These you MUST have 8 in your party. Check them out you may find something that will be of interest. I think you can still get grand gathering merchandise too.

Perhaps at Whispering Canyon Cafe it is different because the CM informed me that having a group did effect this particular dining reservation. What I am trying to figure out is at Whispering Canyon Cafe can 8 people sit together after the 8am group cut off or do we need to be 7 total or less? We've got other things planned, and we are not doing the Grand Gatherings on this trip. We are just trying to get this one particular breakfast squared away. WCC specifically will not let groups sit toether after 8am for breakfast and only between 11 and 12 for lunch.

ElenitaB
09-27-2007, 12:41 PM
I ran across a similar situation while making arrangements for a group breakfast at Boma (however, our group is quite a bit larger than 8 people). I was told that we could make our ADR's for within the first 45 minutes the restaurant was open, i.e., our reservation had to be for 7:45 AM or before. Needless to say, coffee will be a necessity for our group! :coffee:

I also made dinner reservations for a party of 8 at LTT, and no time restrictions were mentioned. We will, however, not be seated at the same table.

McGoofy
09-27-2007, 01:32 PM
I went straight to the source and got my question answered!:mickey: (I had only been asking here because I wanted to have my facts together before I called.)

I called Disney Dining just a little bit ago. Here's what they did for me...I cancelled the party of 13 breakfast ressie that was at the crack of dawn. (FYI...she told me that they didn't even have us sitting at the same table anyway! What was the point of having a group ressie if we were not at the same table?:confused: Anyhow, that's another topic...

After cancelling that reservation, the CM let me book a new breakfast reservation for a party of 8. She said that was not considered a group, and we could eat at 9:00am at ONE table! However, she said our gratuity would still be included due to the size of the party. I should have asked her at what size party is gratuity not included, but I didn't think that fast. Oh well. It didn't matter.

Anyhow, I am excited...we got our ressies at Whispering Canyon Cafe for a party of 8 at a decent time! YEA!:thumbsup:

DisneyGiant
09-27-2007, 01:40 PM
AHowever, she said our gratuity would still be included due to the size of the party. I should have asked her at what size party is gratuity not included, but I didn't think that fast.

I think the magic number for that is 8. We are a party of 8 whenever we go - and almost always the tip is included in the bill (which I love because it saves me from having to figure it out!). Occasionally, some restaurants didn't put it on the bill. I remember thinking that the waiter in France didn't do it - cause he some how knew I'd give 20% as opposed to the 18% they put on the bill! ;)

LibertyTreeGal
09-27-2007, 06:35 PM
yes, 8 is the automatic gratuity number for restaurants in general, not just at Disney :mickey:

(Otherwise servers get stiffed more often than not with big groups)

TheDuckRocks
09-28-2007, 10:12 AM
yes, 8 is the automatic gratuity number for restaurants in general, not just at Disney :mickey:

(Otherwise servers get stiffed more often than not with big groups)

I have been told by the reservation CMs that our party of 6 will be charged the automatic 18% gratuity for our dining reservations for our Jan. 2008 trip. Is this a new policy? Has anyone else been told this?

cperry92380
09-28-2007, 10:23 AM
I have been told by the reservation CMs that our party of 6 will be charged the automatic 18% gratuity for our dining reservations for our Jan. 2008 trip. Is this a new policy? Has anyone else been told this?
I would bet it has A LOT to do with the chanes in the new DDP. Considering that the tip will no longer be included in 2008 plan price, everyone will be responsible for their own tip.

TheRustyScupper
09-28-2007, 03:12 PM
"Group" Definitions
. . . 8 - Grand Gatherings amount
. . . 10 - WDW Dining software ressie start size

Other "Group" Definitions
. . . 1 - a rock-n-roll band
. . . 1 - a sixties Candice Bergen movie
. . . C - a bad southwest airline boarding order
. . . 21,439 - Pop Warner kids you want at a different resort

ElenitaB
09-28-2007, 03:38 PM
This is not new as far as I know. We were charged the 18% gratuity for a party of six, in 2006.

TheDuckRocks
10-01-2007, 10:41 AM
This is not new as far as I know. We were charged the 18% gratuity for a party of six, in 2006.

Oh good! I was concerned that this was another draw back to the dining plan for 2008 and had started second guessing what other "surprises" they might have in store for us. Thanks Ellen.

ElenitaB
10-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Yesterday I had the opportunity to speak with a Disney Group Dining representative and after squaring away some details for a large group breakfast, I asked her this question. The answer is, "it varies." Each restaurant has its own threshold for group dining, and it applies to whatever meal they serve (i.e., it's not different for breakfast and dinner). The examples she kindly gave me were:

1900 Park Fare — 13
Artist Point — 9
Biergarten — 13

The numbers are programmed into the software that the WDW-Dine CMs use, and will trigger them to refer you over to Group Dining.

Hope that helps!