PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrowland Indy Speedway

RBrooksC
09-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Is anybody surprised Disney hasn't themed the Speedway to the movie Cars?

My wife and I were talking about this when we were in Disney last week. Design the cars to look like the cars from the movie. It would almost seem to be the perfect movie tie in.

Ian
09-27-2007, 09:16 AM
I could be wrong, but I think they're doing a ride like that for like DCA or maybe the Paris Studios? Can't remember ...

Anyway, yeah I totally agree. That attraction is in desperate need of some help. First off, it looks ridiculous (and always has, really) in Tomorrowland. Stinky, slow racecars? Yeah that says "tomorrow" to me. :rolleyes:

The thing that's sort of silly about this is, I've gotta believe they could make that overlay for next to nothing. Although I'd like to see them switch over to more modern electric go karts, which would cost a little more, but still. I would think for less than $1 million they could have an updated attraction they could hype like they've done with Small World, Pirates, and the Haunted Mansion.

It worked really well for those three and I'd bet dollars to donuts doing the Speedway would cost a whole lot less.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-27-2007, 09:57 AM
I agree 100%! Not only would the Cars theme bring the speedway up to date, I would think that for not too much $$, they could fix the whole thing up.

We did the speedway on our first trip, were really disappointed with it (I get better "cars" at the local go-kart or Nascar Speed Park), so now we just walk by!

An upgrade would be awesome! :car::thumbsup:

RBrooksC
09-27-2007, 10:34 AM
First off, electric powered cars would defeat the purpose of these being race cars. If you have ever driven an eletric golf cart, one can see how boring they are. One, especially children, need the sound of the cars to get the feeling of racing. Could you imagine being in a lightening McQueen car and have it being silent because it is electric? Talk about losing the magic.

This race track is designed for kids who want the experience of driving but not old enough. My 19 month old son LOVED being in the cars. He couldn't wait for us to get to them so he could ride. For me, it was just exciting to be in the car and giving my son a thrill.

They could give it the name of Piston Cup (he did what in his cup?) Speedway, redesgin the cars and put some Cars themeing around the track and in the queue area.

I would be surprised if this isn't in the future plans of Disney.

martinfamily5
09-27-2007, 11:13 AM
I agree with everyone, about the Cars movie themeing, however, being from Indy (30 miles south) I love going down and riding the Indy Speedway cars. Thats just my :twocents:

Evan52
09-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Paris Studios just got a new addition of 'Cars' themed bumper cars. DCA will be getting 'Carsland" with the 'Test Track' type 'Cars' ride but featuring a duel racing track. Should be a great addition to that park!

As for the Indy Speedway, one major reason why it is still yet to be upgraded is the current version moves a huge amount of riders per hour, which is what Disney looks for. Despite the shape it's in, it still gets very long lines. I myself wouldn't mind seeing it changed or even removed for a new attraction but I just don't see it happening very soon.

Also, Space Mountain should hopefully be going down sometime during the beginning months of '08 so they will really need the Indy Speedway open to take in as many guests as it can.

GrumpyFan
09-27-2007, 11:24 AM
First off, electric powered cars would defeat the purpose of these being race cars. If you have ever driven an eletric golf cart, one can see how boring they are. One, especially children, need the sound of the cars to get the feeling of racing. Could you imagine being in a lightening McQueen car and have it being silent because it is electric? Talk about losing the magic.

Actually, if they converted them to electric, they could add speakers to the cars to make them sound like real race cars and even talking at that. I don't see the problem with doing this. They could even have age bracketed lanes that went faster for the older kids. Convert the track and area into Radiator Springs and make it visually appealing as well.

The Cars theme would be a perfect replacement, and I'm not sure why Disney hasn't done this yet.

Rosanne
09-27-2007, 02:05 PM
I agree. This ride needs serious refurbishment. I think it's much more pressing than Space Mountain.

First of all, the gas smells disgusting, and for people like me with asthma, it's unbearable during the summer months.

Second of all, CMs are getting run over by cars all the time. It's terrible! And they will have a huge lawsuit on their hands soon if they don't do something about it.

Third of all, it's really NOT that exciting. They need to spice it up a bit, give it some theming. 7 mph just doesn't cut it.

kbean
09-27-2007, 02:49 PM
That crossed my mind a few months ago when passing by that ride and remembering how cool that ride was when I was little. Now I can ride my lawn mower and get the same feel.

sillyolbear
09-27-2007, 04:29 PM
A rehab would be nice.

As for electric cars per Ian's suggestion, I think Grumpyfan's post is certainly viable to add sound effects to plus the experience.

Plus, Disney could play up the rehab as being environmentally friendly by eliminating the fumes.

scoot241
09-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Yes, I'm surprised the Speedway isn't already Cars-themed. However, I'd rather them do a general refurbishment and not change the theme to Cars. Tomorrowland is already getting pretty close to becoming Pixarland, and I'd rather not have every ride be Pixar-related.

Donald A
09-27-2007, 08:54 PM
It probably is a contract issue with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. If you notice the Indianapolis Motor Speedway logo is on the side of every car. I imagine this contract has an expiration date and your guess is as good as mine when that is. It wouldn't surprise me if it changes once contract terms expire. (I would think it would almost have too.)

To me the Speedway is a classic but I rarely ride it. I think its big draw is for kids as another poster pointed out.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
09-27-2007, 09:31 PM
I forgot how much I truly dislike the Indy cars until we rode it last week.

I know my kids love it. Which is why I let my DH take them on a second time while I got an ice cream. Thankfully the boys can drive alone and DH was able to take DD with him.

I think I almost broke a rib one of the times DD aimed, I mean drove, into the center rail. :medic:

Ian
09-28-2007, 08:56 AM
First off, electric powered cars would defeat the purpose of these being race cars. If you have ever driven an eletric golf cart, one can see how boring they are. One, especially children, need the sound of the cars to get the feeling of racing. Could you imagine being in a lightening McQueen car and have it being silent because it is electric? Talk about losing the magic.I didn't say electric "golf carts", I said electric "go-karts" which, if you've never driven them (which I'm guessing is the case), trust me ... they're plenty fast.

There's a place near me that has them and they get up to about 40mph governed, but they can go much faster.

Also, have you ever seen the Lightning McQueen character at MGM? He's got a "soundtrack" that goes with him that sounds far more realistic than any noises the current go-karts make.

Tekneek
09-28-2007, 09:10 AM
They should make the cars a little more "green" than they currently are. Professional racing circuits will likely be moving toward bio-fuels and regenerative braking systems over the next 5-10 years (at least) anyway. It being a "Tomorrowland" raceway, they should show off mini-versions of the future of auto-racing, IMO. Instead, it is the most 'retro' part of the entire section. An investment like this probably isn't 'sexy' enough to get on their radar, though.

Tekneek
09-28-2007, 09:16 AM
Tomorrowland is already getting pretty close to becoming Pixarland, and I'd rather not have every ride be Pixar-related.

You don't like Pixarland and Pirateland instead of Tomorrowland and Adventureland? ;)

Today's Disney certainly likes to hit us over the head with their latest fads. I'm not even sure I understand the reliance on movie franchises as a base for every single new attraction these days. Is today's audience so "sophisticated" that they cannot understand or appreciate something that isn't tied into other Disney merchandise/marketing?

kbean
09-28-2007, 09:31 AM
Tek, you are so right on that one.

Donald A
09-28-2007, 09:32 AM
They should make the cars a little more "green" than they currently are. Professional racing circuits will likely be moving toward bio-fuels and regenerative braking systems over the next 5-10 years (at least) anyway. It being a "Tomorrowland" raceway, they should show off mini-versions of the future of auto-racing, IMO. Instead, it is the most 'retro' part of the entire section. An investment like this probably isn't 'sexy' enough to get on their radar, though.

The Indy Racing League (current sponsor of the attraction) used 100% bio-ethanol this year. You are right this does fit in with Tomorrowland if you look at it that way.

mrs.jacksparrow
10-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Just a little comment. We just got back two days ago....My five year old rode the ride 10 times. It was his favorite. I talked to many parents during our waits and they all said the same thing...the kids love it. yes us big kids see all the faults but let me tell you....the little ones feel like a real race car driver and can't belive they are allowed to drive. I personally think it is like the carousel. Just goes round and round and hardley up and down BORING but to the kiddies it is the best. Some things need to be kept just so for them. IMHO
The greening would be okay

gsimpson
10-13-2007, 04:33 PM
"First off, electric powered cars would defeat the purpose of these being race cars. If you have ever driven an eletric golf cart, one can see how boring they are. One, especially children, need the sound of the cars to get the feeling of racing. Could you imagine being in a lightening McQueen car and have it being silent because it is electric? Talk about losing the magic."

Having owned and driven a GM EV1 electric car for over 5 years I can say from experience you are completely wrong. The car did 0-60 in just over 5 seconds. The only cars that EVER beat me through an intersection were Corvette and Viper. I had great fun with a lot of "hot" cars when they would ask how it felt to drive a golf cart and after blowing them away to the next stop light I would ask what it felt like to be blown away by a golf cart. Of course the golf cart also would go up to about 100 MPH, had air conditioning, CD player, and most of the features of any other cars of the time. It looked more or less like a 7/8s scale Citron. Of course it did lack some of the things other cars have, the ability to belch filth into the air, the ability to leak fluids everywhere, the ability to make enough racket to wake the dead, the ability to catch fire. GM pulled the vehicle from production because everyone "knew" it was a golf cart, of course by everyone I mean all the people that never drove or experienced one but made up their minds anyway. One of today's electic cars, the Tesla made by Tesla motors, even beats vetts and Vipers. But I guess it is just a golf cart too. One that doesn't polute, make a lot of noise, or leak countless fluids into the environment.

Speedy1998
10-13-2007, 04:45 PM
The Cars theme would be a perfect replacement, and I'm not sure why Disney hasn't done this yet.

If you look at picture of the park from the 70's you will notice that the cars have not change in 30 years. Why should they be in a hurry to change them now, especially when the attraction always has huge crowds, (which means it is very popular because the lines move quickly), and there are other attraction that almost never have a crowd.

Main Street Jim
10-16-2007, 10:40 AM
DON'T turn Tomorrowland into "PixarLand". It's already got way too much "movie tie-in" with Buzz, Stitch, and Monsters, Inc. there already. Look at the theming in Tomorrowland; look at the signs, the buildings, etc. When Tomorrowland was "redesigned" in 1995, it was meant to be a "community". Look at Buzz - it's really the "police headquarters" of Tomorrowland. Stitch: when it was Alien Encounter, it was the Tomorrowland Interplanetary Convention Center, showing off the latest and greatest technology. TTA is the "commuter system" of Tomorrowland. CoP is the museum and history center (watch the pre-boarding film with Walt at the World's Fair). Space Mountain is "another fine transportation system provided by the Tomorrowland Transit Authority". And the Speedway? It's the "sports and recreation" of Tomorrowland.

Theming the Speedway to "Cars" would take away that sense of "community" that most guests don't get anyways as it is. I love the Speedway:
1) the first attraction I ever went on in 1972.
2) I'm a huge race fan as it is.
3) Kids LOVE this attraction. What kid *doesn't* want to grow up (in the world of "TOMORROW"? Get it?) and drive a car, let alone a *race car*, especially at the Magic Kingdom?!
Like others have said, look at the lines for the Speedway. They're always pretty decent, even later in the day/early evening. It moves people, and that's what the park (management) looks at, especially when other attractions in the area are down.

mermaidmarian
10-18-2007, 10:41 AM
I like the idea of an update to the Speedway, but I don't think it needs a Pixar/Cars overlay. I think linking attractions with films can give the attraction a short shelf life, and in this instance, it would feel more like it was designed to promote "Cars" rather than to enhance the attraction.

I think it is long overdue for a spiffing up though, and I think the suggestion of electric powered go-carts, sounds great, as does the idea of improving the sound track. The soundtrack right now is kind of a running gag in our family, as I can NEVER hear what is being said over the roar of the lawnmower engine propelling my "race" car along. And the fumes....ai yi yi!

I think making the speedway look more contemporary and use vehicles that at least seem to be more futuristic would be the best way to remain in theme with Tomorrowland.

Main Street Jim
10-24-2007, 10:33 AM
The soundtrack right now is kind of a running gag in our family, as I can NEVER hear what is being said over the roar of the lawnmower engine propelling my "race" car along.As a race car driver, you're not S'POSED to be able to hear what the track announcer is saying....LOLOL...

Take it from me...:D I grew up around race cars; that's why I love the Speedway so much!