PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest thing I saw at Disney.

RBrooksC
09-27-2007, 07:56 AM
The first thing I saw was the reinvention of Ice Station Cool to Club Cool. Good God was that borning. I mean everything was basically the same but it wasn't as cold in there and was it sterile. I mean, change the theme but do something interesting.

However, the thing I thought was the most stupid however small it was, was the removal of the fallen letters in Tower of Terror that said, Evil Tower You R Doomed.

I took a peek since the lines were REALLY short for TOT, I walked right into the library. I asked the CM why the letters were gone and she said guests complained that it was an awful thing to have in the ride or something to that nature. And she guessed it made the more nervous riders even more nervous.

I wish I knew what sort of pathetic person would complain and request a fun part of the themeing be removed.

ariel03
09-27-2007, 08:01 AM
I think club cool should keep the sample drinks behind a counter and have a line form to try them and have people hand you the samples. I have seen to many people filling water bottles and mugs full of the samples and then walking out. I have yet to try all the flavors as many are out when I go in Sept. and I know it is because people are filling these bottles and using up the drinks that others would have liked to try but they are to selfish to think of others.

JPL
09-27-2007, 08:20 AM
However, the thing I thought was the most stupid however small it was, was the removal of the fallen letters in Tower of Terror that said, Evil Tower You R Doomed.

I took a peek since the lines were REALLY short for TOT, I walked right into the library. I asked the CM why the letters were gone and she said guests complained that it was an awful thing to have in the ride or something to that nature. And she guessed it made the more nervous riders even more nervous.

I wish I knew what sort of pathetic person would complain and request a fun part of the themeing be removed.

This was removed because it was intentionally put there by the imagineers. A CM put it there and it remained for several years without notice by imagineers. When they came through before a rehab they removed it in order to keep the integrity of storyline they intended. Guest complaints had nothing to do with it's removal. Remember at that point in the story all you are suppose to know it that it's an abandoned old hotel and the story of the missing guests or their fate has not been revealed. This has been done with several other attractions where CMs added something only to have it be removed later by imagineers.

RBrooksC
09-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Well, that is interesting because these letters were mentioned in every Disney travel book there is. So I am surprised that the imagineers didn't know about it before a rehab.

LibertyTreeGal
09-27-2007, 08:54 AM
Well, that is interesting because these letters were mentioned in every Disney travel book there is. So I am surprised that the imagineers didn't know about it before a rehab.

If I was an Imagineer, the last thing I'd be doing is reading Disney tourist books ;) LOL

I used to work in Aerospace research before beginning my infamous tour of duty as a mom, and when I came home and found my dh watching Wings on the Discovery Channel, I'd go read a book instead!

RBrooksC
09-27-2007, 10:04 AM
I am not saying they would read the books but if something like that is published in so many places, it seems to me that somebody who is an imagineer would get a hint of it before a rehab.

briguy
09-27-2007, 10:04 AM
I am in no way doubting the explanation...I respect the source...I'm questioning the decision to remove it. The whole exterior of the hotel gives a proper air of foreboding (forwhating???? - that's a reference to the old robin williams animation film btw). Anyway, the fallen letters strengthen the feel of impending peril and added to the experience imho. Even if it wasn't intended from the start once it was in place it became a hidden treasure and the imagineers should have tipped their hats to the cm rather than get upset they didn't think of it. I think the theming was better for it.

My guess would have been it was removed to keep the line moving as people were stopping to look for it causing delays.

Figgyluv03
09-28-2007, 08:53 AM
This was removed because it was intentionally put there by the imagineers. A CM put it there and it remained for several years without notice by imagineers. When they came through before a rehab they removed it in order to keep the integrity of storyline they intended. Guest complaints had nothing to do with it's removal. Remember at that point in the story all you are suppose to know it that it's an abandoned old hotel and the story of the missing guests or their fate has not been revealed. This has been done with several other attractions where CMs added something only to have it be removed later by imagineers.

This true in the haunted mansion in the ballroom scene. The hidden mickeys on the table are put there by the CMs not the Imagineers. I was told that no matter how many times the Imagineers fix it, the CMs always sneak in there and rearrange it.

pook@wdw
09-28-2007, 07:11 PM
I think the dumbest thing I've ever seen @ WDW are women in high heels! :rolleyes: walking around the parks all day!

crltkcagle
09-28-2007, 10:14 PM
the dumbest thing i have ever seen is ellen's energy ride in epcot. It is so long and boring:sick:

Terra
09-29-2007, 06:02 AM
I think the dumbest thing I've ever seen @ WDW are women in high heels! :rolleyes: walking around the parks all day!

Oh my gosh!! That was my thought exactly when I read the title of the thread!! I thought it was more along those lines...LOL...

Heels and the best part...people all decked out in nice "Sunday clothes"...ummmmmm....alrighty then...he he...

crltkcagle
09-29-2007, 09:06 AM
Oh my gosh!! That was my thought exactly when I read the title of the thread!! I thought it was more along those lines...LOL...

Heels and the best part...people all decked out in nice "Sunday clothes"...ummmmmm....alrighty then...he he...

Do you mean suits and ties and dresses? Are just dressed nice? I was dressed nice the entire trip as in nice shorts and shirts, or nice capris and a nice shirt. I always had tennis shoes on (in fact I wore a tennis skirt one day with tennis shoes). I thought it was really strange to see so many people on vacation wearing rags. For example biker shorts (from 1980) and a t-shirt with holes in it. I saw lots of people who didn't seem to care what they looked like. I realize it's vacation and you want to be comfortable but clothes with holes in them should be left at home. Am I the only one that feels like this?

#1donaldfan
09-29-2007, 09:30 AM
We too like to dress "nice"....we don't have formal's on, but we wear nice comfortalbe shirts and shorts.....my kids even want to look nice....they have "rags" to wear at home, in the yard, playing with the dogs....on vacation we try to look a little bit more presentable....its just a "pride" thing, that when your out, you should try to look nice, not over the top, nor "rock bottom" either.....

LibertyTreeGal
09-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Wow, I never really notice what anyone is wearing...... unless they have a Steelers Jersey on and then I say "Howdy-do!"

I generally wear stretchy pants, a disney t-shirt and well broken in shoes. Speaking of which, time to get a new pair to break in before the next trip.

Now, back in the early 70's when i was a little girl, it seems that everyone dressed fancy for a Disney vacation.

Nekochan
09-29-2007, 09:56 AM
I thought the dumbest things at WDW were sounds dangerous and stitch's great escape.

ryca1dreams
09-29-2007, 10:13 AM
I looked at a relatives pictures from the early to mid 1970s recentlly and it seems that everyone used to dress nice at WDW like it was a big occasion. The men wore collard shirts and slacks and the women wore skirts. This most recent trip I observed one girl wearing barely anything - and her parents were with her.

I think one of the dumbest things is not dressing properly (for the weather, situation, environment, etc.) - either clothes or shoes.

jclightchasr
09-29-2007, 02:33 PM
I think club cool should keep the sample drinks behind a counter and have a line form to try them and have people hand you the samples. I have seen to many people filling water bottles and mugs full of the samples and then walking out. I have yet to try all the flavors as many are out when I go in Sept. and I know it is because people are filling these bottles and using up the drinks that others would have liked to try but they are to selfish to think of others.

never seen that done. Good idea though...JK.

Terra
09-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Do you mean suits and ties and dresses? Are just dressed nice? I was dressed nice the entire trip as in nice shorts and shirts, or nice capris and a nice shirt. I always had tennis shoes on (in fact I wore a tennis skirt one day with tennis shoes). I thought it was really strange to see so many people on vacation wearing rags. For example biker shorts (from 1980) and a t-shirt with holes in it. I saw lots of people who didn't seem to care what they looked like. I realize it's vacation and you want to be comfortable but clothes with holes in them should be left at home. Am I the only one that feels like this?

ROFL!! OMG...biker shorts....sorry....just got a mental image...
No your right...I'm talking about clothes along the lines of skirts, dresses, dress slacks....
that's just crazy to me ...
But then again....it's truly to each his own...

I'll wear jean shorts and shirt or tank top....I'll do capris too in the cooler weather!!! And boy do I wish it would cool down!!

really you've seen people with literal holes, like huge rips in their cloths????

teambricker04
09-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Terribly funny. Agreed. Biker shorts are a no. Terrible shoes and clothes, but I think most people dress grubbier than in the past. Don't you remember air travel as being something special? Worth getting some new vacation clothes and shoes for?

The dumbest thing I have seen??? Angry and mad people. How can you get angry and mad when you are at the happiest place on earth???

I like Ellen... I don't know why I like that ride. Maybe because it smells like dinasours. Is it suppose to??? :mickey:

Stan
09-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Well, I guess if anyone poses for me in front of the Frontierland shack with tuxedos, evening gowns, and champagne glasses like I've been begging for years, :rolleyes: they'd better change before continuing to tour MK or someone will think they're dumb.

I just don't see much I consider dumb these days at WDW- from CM's or guests- I can understand most of what I see even when I don't agree with the choices. Actual rudeness is pretty unusual too. :) On my very first visit to MK in 1977, however... on Jungle Cruise, we heard some (insert your favorite USA regional characterization here) guests saying, "Hey, this stuff is all fake and plastic!". Like, what did they expect at Disney World? We could have told them, "Come back in 20 years and visit Animal Kingdom".

nicole48040
09-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Dumbest thing- People waiting for hours trying to "save" specific spots for parades, fireworks, etc. It is always SOOOO funny to see the look of outrage or surprise when someone steps in front of them or enters their "personal space". You just want to ask "And what was it that you thought was going to happen?" C'mon people everyone has the right to watch them and if there is any space to be filled those people can fill it. All I ask is let the little ones be able to see and no shoulder rides (no one can see over that). :blush:

crltkcagle
09-29-2007, 08:40 PM
ok that explains it. LOL

biodtl
10-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Mine would be the woman who showed up over an hour late for her ADR at CRT (admitting that they 'just couldn't get moving'), made a huge scene because they couldn't accomodate her, and the when they DID accomodate her, complain loudly that they had to wait in line (because "why do you have reservations?') It was all I and the other in line (and on time) could do to not say anything to her.

Wow, I never really notice what anyone is wearing...... unless they have a Steelers Jersey on and then I say "Howdy-do!"

Hee! I have met more folks on vacation this way!