PDA

View Full Version : IceStation changed due to lawsuts

Gator
09-26-2007, 04:21 PM
This may not be new news - I'm not sure. But someone who hangs out with several castmembers from Epcot said that Ice Station Cool changed because it was a lawsuit hazard. The ground seemed to be wet most of the time inside the snow tunnel. That's why it changed to a much more boring and less themed Club Cool.

I wonder how many attractions have changed for this same reason.

RRabbitfan
09-26-2007, 04:48 PM
I do miss the old Ice Station. On a hot sunny day it was nice to walk thru and get cooled off and get free drinks!! :thumbsup:
If that is the reasoning behind the change it does make since. Too bad they could come up wiht a better solution.

krorx
09-26-2007, 04:51 PM
I haven't been to the new ice station but we loved the old one. How sad that fear of litigation forces companies to change things. :(

mouseketeer mom
09-26-2007, 04:57 PM
I think its all good. We enjoyed it as Ice station and enjoy it as Club Cool. The kids never tire of the soda samples. One of these days I'm going to buy a frozen coke while I'm there. It always sounds so good, but I always have had enough of soda by the time we leave!

DNS
09-26-2007, 06:10 PM
Maybe it's the shoes I wear, but I have to say that I slipped on the floor in the tunnel more than once at the old Ice Station Cool. I loved the cold air, but I learned to grab hubby's arm walking in to keep from falling. I thought a few times that the floor was a law suit waiting to happen.

kakn7294
09-26-2007, 08:26 PM
I can't believe that a slippery floor would be the only reason for the complete change. The floor would have been a simple fix in comparison with tearing down the whole thing and rebuilding from scratch. I liked the old Ice Station Cool, but Club Cool isn't bad either. At least the drink samples are still free - although I must admit in August, there were far fewer selections. At least 1/3 to 1/2 of the samples were missing and the fountains weren't working.

LoriMistress
09-26-2007, 09:39 PM
This may not be new news - I'm not sure. But someone who hangs out with several castmembers from Epcot said that Ice Station Cool changed because it was a lawsuit hazard. The ground seemed to be wet most of the time inside the snow tunnel. That's why it changed to a much more boring and less themed Club Cool.

I wonder how many attractions have changed for this same reason.

That's too funny. I was thinking back on our last vacation in 2003, DH and I noticed how slippery going through the hall/passage ways. Only because we almost fell a few times. It was raining throughout the day.

#1donaldfan
09-27-2007, 01:12 AM
I guess I'm not missing anything then.....we never went to it till this year....I first learned of it here on intercot and decided to try it out this year....we were not very impressed, but it was fun watching the kids drink beverly.....yuck......

chrisb26
09-27-2007, 02:30 AM
Intresting I never knew that was why it was changed. I did wonder though since it was basically the same thing. Thanks for that :thumbsup:

Tinkerfreak
09-27-2007, 09:15 AM
The floor can still be slippery at times if drinks are spilled. One of our funniest memories of our December 2006 trip with our neice was this. I had just told all of the girls to be careful not to spill anything and what does DH do, he spills all down the front of him so it looked like he tinkled in his pants. When my neice and I went to get something to wipe it up with they found us some napkins. On the way back to the spill DN was in such a hurry to give her uncle a napkin that she stepped right in the spill and almost went down. Thank goodness I was right next to her and grabbed her arm. We all laughed at her and were glad she was ot hurt. We cleaned up our spill but there were others all over the floor that nobody was cleaning up.

snowflakegirl
09-27-2007, 09:40 AM
I think its all good. We enjoyed it as Ice station and enjoy it as Club Cool. The kids never tire of the soda samples. One of these days I'm going to buy a frozen coke while I'm there. It always sounds so good, but I always have had enough of soda by the time we leave!

Frozen cokes are absolutely one of my favorite "treats"! They're definitely something you should try at least once IMHO. I understand though about being done with soda by the time you leave there... I've actually never bought a frozen coke at Disney World, but they offer them in a couple of our local restaurants.

Gator
09-27-2007, 02:39 PM
The floor can still be slippery at times if drinks are spilled. One of our funniest memories of our December 2006 trip with our neice was this. I had just told all of the girls to be careful not to spill anything and what does DH do, he spills all down the front of him so it looked like he tinkled in his pants. .

No Way! I was there when that happened. We were walking out and my wife got angry cause I started laughing out loud.

bleukarma
09-27-2007, 03:43 PM
I liked the old Icestation better, but I can understand them changing it for this reason. I guess them making it what it is now is better then them taking it out all together, it’s a fun concept!

Nekochan
09-29-2007, 10:06 AM
You can ask for a sample of the frozen cokes from the CM at the frozen coke counter too.

Tinkerfreak
09-30-2007, 07:59 AM
No Way! I was there when that happened. We were walking out and my wife got angry cause I started laughing out loud.

That was you!!! Poor DH had to walk around all night looking like he had an accident in his pants. Of course my neice had to take a picture of him looking like this and she told him she was going to show all of her friends and post it on her facebook page at college.

dumbo ears
09-30-2007, 10:17 AM
idk but I bet a lot have had to be changed through lawsuits.

RSGBSG2002
09-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Accidents happen. People slip.

I just can't understand why the people in charge are all right with lawsuits that make it ok for people to sue others if they fall down on their property.

I mean, if it rains, how many wet floor signs need to be erected to keep a business safe? :thedolls:

Figgyluv03
10-01-2007, 12:48 PM
I almost wiped out a couple times going in there, but I'd just laugh at myself and keep going. I would never file a law suit. It's just dumb people looking to get extra money.

Red Randal
10-02-2007, 12:09 PM
I'm thinking that it also might not have been a permanent structure. Since it has proved to be very popular, Disney probably decided to make it more fitting with the theme of Future World/Innoventions Plaza and, at the same time, less lawsuit prone.

Red Randal
10-02-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm thinking that it also might not have been a permanent structure. Since it has proved to be very popular, Disney probably decided to make it more fitting with the theme of Future World/Innoventions Plaza and, at the same time, less lawsuit prone.

MickeyandTink
10-02-2007, 03:41 PM
The floor can still be slippery at times if drinks are spilled.

Very True. We were there last week and DD6 slipped on a very wet floor by one of the drink stations and hit her head on the station. She was OK, but it scared her a bit (hurt a bit, too).