PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay

Nekochan
09-26-2007, 07:44 AM
I have absolutely NO idea which is the best place to stay at Disneyland. This past year, I stayed at a monorail hotel at WDW, and I am now totally spoiled. Is the convenience of the monorail from the Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier that much better than, let's say, the Candy Cane Inn? What are your recommendations for a hotel - I'd prefer a nice hotel (Hilton type is fine), with a decent pool. MOst important to me is convenience to the parks.

Thanks in advance

tinkwest
09-26-2007, 10:38 AM
I would not base my hotel selection on it's proximity to the Monorail. I love the Monorail. I, like so many Disneyland visitors, will ride it just for fun. (It is categorized as an attraction). The Monorail is closer to the Disneyland Hotel than any other hotel, but the front entrance gates to both Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure are just as close, if not closer, to many hotels on Harbor.
:wave:

The DLH has several pools, with the main pool being themed around Peter Pan and Never Land. I like the Grand Californian's pool area too. Not as "themed" but plenty of room for swimming & sunning.
:diver: :vacation:

WDWizard
09-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Candy Cane Inn is clean, inexpensive, and convenient but the pool is pretty basic. If you want a nice pool you should stay at the PPH, GCH, or DLH.

The Disneyland Hotel has the best themed pool, and having the monorail is a nice perk but its much easier to stay at a hotel on Harbor. The GCH is the best for park covenience since Disneyland is a short walk thru Downtown Disney and has a private entrance for DCA.
:thumbsup:

BrerGnat
09-26-2007, 11:34 PM
While the monorail should not be the deciding factor for a DL trip, there is something to be said for staying on property at DLR. Since Harbor Blvd is (literally) right outside the gates of DL, you lose a bit of the immersion factor when you have to leave the parks and cross that busy road to your neighborhood hotel.

If you want the true deluxe Disney experience, stay at either the Grand Californian or the Disneyland Hotel. Paradise Pier is, in my opinion, too far removed from the parks and Downtown Disney and it sort of feels like a Disney themed hotel in the middle of a city, rather than part of the resort.

The DLR monorail is not so much a means of transportation as it is an attraction! The majority of the duration of the ride takes place circling over Fantasyland and Tomorrowland in this sort of lazy spiral that gives a nice little tour. It is certainly faster to walk from the monorail station in Downtown Disney to the front gates of either park. It is really only a shortcut when you are leaving DLR and returning to the hotel.