PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Tonga toast talk..anyone NOT like it?

mouseketeer mom
09-26-2007, 07:25 AM
We are having our first breakfast at Kona on Thanksgiving. We've only had dinner here in the past and loved it!
Other intercotees are always raving about the Tonga Toast. So much so, that I don't know if I could sit down to breakfast and not order it! Anyone NOT like it?
I mean, there was so much hype about the school bread on these boards, I had to try it, and just didn't get it..:confused: It was so sweet and HEAVY.
So fess up Kona goers! Anyone think it was overrated?

Carol
09-26-2007, 07:43 AM
I don't order it because I hate bananas. :monkey:

My husband and sons love it though and order it every trip.

luvdiznee
09-26-2007, 07:47 AM
We have a breakfast ressie at Kona next week and even though I haven't tried the Tonga Toast, I'm still not sure if I want to try it. From what I've read it too seems very sweet and heavy. :confused:If that's the case, I don't really want it. Unless they can make a lighter version. :mickey:

AwPhooey
09-26-2007, 08:01 AM
From what I've read it too seems very sweet and heavy.

I second that...

I went to Kona Cafe for the first time during my most recent trip and, of course, I ordered the Tonga Toast.

While I liked the flavor and combination of bananas and cinnamon/sugar, it was a bit too much. Perhaps if they made a smaller version I would have liked it better, as there would have been a little less of everything.

Lessie
09-26-2007, 08:28 AM
It's pretty tasty, but for me, its just too sweet and sugary for early in the morning. I need to start my day off with something well-balanced and the one time I had Tonga Toast for breakfast I had a headache and was shaky until lunch. That sort of thing doesn't bother my husband, but for me, its not worth feeling icky all morning!

mrp4352
09-26-2007, 08:47 AM
I think Tonga Toast really needs bacon served with it to help tone down the sweet.

I've found that I like the pineapple macadamia nut pancakes much, much better!

Either way you decide, Kona is a lovely way to start a Disney morning!

tinkerbell04
09-26-2007, 09:03 AM
I agree. I am not a big breakfast eater, so I found it to be tasty, but just too much for me. It was too heavy and sweet to then go out and walk around in the heat. :mickey:

Jared
09-26-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm never hungry enough in the morning to order such a big breakfast, and I don't even like bananas. Tonga toast seems so sweet and heavy I could never eat it.

When I do have breakfast, I usually have something simple like eggs. The protein is good for the rest of the day.

Dsnygirl
09-26-2007, 09:48 AM
It sounds like everyone is 50/50 on it, but I have to say - I cannot wait to try it on our next trip - I've waited so long just to say I've had it!! I sure hope I like it... I'll be sure to order some bacon or something w/ my DH's order to help ease the sweetness a bit!! :thumbsup:

princessM0m
09-26-2007, 09:54 AM
If you can, share it with someone. I've had it, I love it, but it is very big. Perhaps you and a travelling companion could order different breakfasts and then share with each other.

KarenP
09-26-2007, 11:57 AM
It sounds too sweet for me, but I may try it one of these days.

ariel03
09-26-2007, 12:14 PM
I recently had it for the first time a few days ago and I didn't like it. I didn't find it sweet but the fact that they cook the bananas in it made the bananas not taste that great. I was thinking it was like a custard or something inside with bananas but it was only the bananas with some cinnamon sugar on the outside so I really didn't like it. If it had a custard inside like a stuffed french toast I would have liked it better.

Madame Leona
09-26-2007, 02:08 PM
If you thought that school bread was too sweet, you probably won't care for the tonga toast. I hate to say that since I think it is wonderful! It is very big so the last time I shared it with my son and we also had a fruit bowl to go with it.

Maleficent's Dad
09-26-2007, 02:50 PM
I for one was disappointed with Tonga Toast after reading so much about it.

The first time I had it was a few years ago. As it LOOKS LIKE French Toast, I was about to put syrup on it - which the waitress suggested that I didn't do until trying the stuff.

It was, shall we say, a bit on the sweet side. Do not add syrup!

It's a deep fried dish, covered in sugar and cinnamon; I do believe the sugar is the predominant ingredient here! We are a breakfast family, and 99% of the time for us, it's more of a 'healthy meal.' Tonga Toast is in no ways a healthy dish!

It is worth trying once; many love it, and you might find that you do as well. It just wasn't our cup of tea. :mickey:

Septbride2002
09-26-2007, 03:45 PM
I wasn't big on Tonga Toast - was way to sweet for me.

wdwfan
09-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Pineapple Macadamia nut pancakes....hummm may have to try that one. I was thinking tonga toast, but if this is not as sweet... sounds yummy!!

ariel03
09-26-2007, 07:20 PM
I didn't find mine too sweet I had to put syrup on it to make it more to my liking.

tundramom
09-26-2007, 07:58 PM
I did not like it :ack:. I don't do bananas, so I asked if I get another fruit in it instead- as some posters in the past have claimed. They said no, so I got plain, it was oozing oil:ack::ack:. Think undercooked french toast soaked in vegetable oil and dusted with powdered sugar. I was :ill: the rest of the day.:(

hubbyofadisneyholic
09-26-2007, 09:22 PM
We tried it once...have no interest in ordering it again. :ack:

mudpuppysmom
09-26-2007, 10:04 PM
DH ordered it in May when we were there and I tried it.

Neither one of us liked it. We thought it was greasy and WAY too sweet (did I say that??? Something was TOO SWEET?!!??!?! I can't believe I said that!).

We went, we tried, we did not like, we won't get it again........in fact, we would rather go to Kona for dinner.

mouseketeer mom
09-27-2007, 08:05 AM
I did not like it :ack:. I don't do bananas, so I asked if I get another fruit in it instead- as some posters in the past have claimed. They said no, so I got plain, it was oozing oil:ack::ack:. Think undercooked french toast soaked in vegetable oil and dusted with powdered sugar. I was :ill: the rest of the day.:(

That has got to be the worst description of Tonga toast that I ever read!!! Ooozing oil. That did me in! Maybe I won't try it after all! Perhaps those macadamia nut pancakes are more to my liking. If you put Ooozing and oil together in a sentence., well, I'm over it.:mickey:

Samtastic
09-27-2007, 11:44 AM
ew Oozing oil...ooze, makes me think of pus or TMNT. haha.:haha:
Anyway. i'm very intrigued by them. I'm eating at Kona for dinner thoughh. I'm not a big breakfast person (by that I mean eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc...) I prefer a yogurt and banana, or a vitatop (this uber-healthy and yummy muffin top). Whenever I eat pancakes I just want to be lazy all day. (Although they are delicious at 3 am after a night of :party: and :marg: ). Luckily I convinced my DBF to only go to 1 bf (actually it's more like he begged me so he can get mickey waffles), so it's CP over Kona. However I might just run into Captian Cooks to get Tonga Toast to go (plus pay $5 instead of $8!

Goofy Pluto
09-27-2007, 12:41 PM
:jaw:

Sorry, that's my reaction to everyone's dissenting opinions on the Tonga Toast. Shocking!

Just joking.

Honestly, not everything is for everyone and if you don't have a really sweet tooth (like me), you might not like it. However, I do want to point out that you are getting a lot of negative opinions because that's what you asked for. There are probably a lot more people who are of positive opinions how are not posting about it. But to each his own. For me? I can't wait to sink my teach and bless my tongue with this sweet delicacy. Pure bliss!

I do want to state that I think the "oozing in oil" comment is not accurate. It is fried in oil, but I think oozing is a more than an exageration... at least for normal Tonga Toast.

mouseketeer mom
09-27-2007, 02:14 PM
I think we're going to do some sharing instead on Thanksgiving morning! From the descriptions, I don't know that I can handle the Tonga toast by myself. It sounds like I'll feel like a beached whale afterwards! My tiny little 13 year old daughter, well she probably can, and says she thinks it sounds like heaven. Sooo...she can get it, and I'll get those macadamia nut pancakes! Hopefully the best of both worlds!

Bethanymouse
09-27-2007, 04:57 PM
We tried Tonga Toast this past August for the first time. I was very skeptical at first because I am not a huge fan of bananas but.....intercotees sang its praises so I gave it a try.. We LOVED it! It was delicious. Especially if you enjoy french toast I think that you will enjoy it! I really liked in and I wish that I could have some right now!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mom2princesses
09-29-2007, 11:21 PM
:jaw:

Sorry, that's my reaction to everyone's dissenting opinions on the Tonga Toast. Shocking!

Just joking.

Honestly, not everything is for everyone and if you don't have a really sweet tooth (like me), you might not like it. However, I do want to point out that you are getting a lot of negative opinions because that's what you asked for. There are probably a lot more people who are of positive opinions how are not posting about it. But to each his own. For me? I can't wait to sink my teach and bless my tongue with this sweet delicacy. Pure bliss!

I do want to state that I think the "oozing in oil" comment is not accurate. It is fried in oil, but I think oozing is a more than an exageration... at least for normal Tonga Toast.

I totally agree! I was not going to post because the OP wanted negative posts. But I decided to jump in when people started to keep score. I love Tonga Toast! It was wonderful when I got to taste it in Aug once again. And I also agree it does NOT ooze with oil.

angedeaile
09-30-2007, 08:27 AM
I decided to read this thread because I too have a breakfast ADR for Kona in January. I have heard so many wonderful things about Tonga toast....well until I read this thread... ooozing oil....:sick:

That aside, I think I would be still all about trying it if it wasn't so darn big!

I looked at pictures and it is huge! I don't really eat alot in the morning, usually a pancake or two does me in. I just wish they had a smaller version :(

Anywho, that was really my deciding factor and something you might want to consider as well. How much can you stomach in the morning?

eam
09-30-2007, 11:25 AM
I agree with mrp4352 that you need the bacon to cut the sweetness, and I always order mine without the bananas. They started serving Tonga Toast years ago at the Tangaroa Terrace, tried it with bananas, hated it, and have had it plain since. I really like it!!!

DisneyLuvRSince76
10-01-2007, 09:22 AM
I just had Tonga Toast for the first time, last week. I had it on Tuesday morning at the Kona Cafe and it was so delicious :tasty:, that I had to have it on Wednesday at Captain Cooks!

Neither one of the meals were greasy - both pieces were perfectly done.

A Big Kid
10-01-2007, 10:45 AM
For me, no trip to WDW is no complete UNLESS we stop at the Kona for breakfast and have Tonga Toast.

SignguyTom
10-01-2007, 01:22 PM
I thought I would like the Tonga Toast, but OMG it was the worst. I couldn't get past the explosion of grease that had soaked into the bread. Our waitress was nice enough to let me trade for another meal. I am generally not real picky, but, honestly, it is the only meal I have ever sent back in my entire life. :ack::ack:

But you might like it...:blush: