PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Change-Back?

monkeycity
09-26-2007, 12:45 AM
I don't want to offend anyone, and please realize that we all have differing beliefs and are entitled to such in this country in which we live :mickey:.

So, that being said, I just want to ask a simple question about the wintertime decorations and shows in the parks: Due to religious reasons, my family and I have decided for ourselves not to celebrate most holidays, including Christmas. We had thought about going to Florida, especially WDW, of course, over the winter break (last week of December, first week of January). After Christmas Day, how long is it until the parks are returned to "normal"? As in, Christmas shows returned back to the ones they play over summer, rides changed back to normal, etc. Are they changed fairly quickly, or do they stay in their holiday modes until New Year's Day? We avoid these times of year for most all places, mainly so that we don't offend others with our non-participation. But, we'd love to spend some time in the Florida sun at the happiest place on earth :cloud9:.

Thanks in advance...

Melanie
09-26-2007, 01:52 AM
It's after New Year's when things return to non-holiday mode. Things are in full swing the week between Christmas and New Year's. Also, when we were down there two years ago, the Epcot Tree Lighting and the Osborne Lights were still taking place well into the new year, and there were still lingering decorations at the parks and hotels into the second week of January.

If you really feel this would bother you, it's probably not a great time for you to visit.

Dracula766
09-26-2007, 03:15 AM
what bugged me was seeing the xmas tree in front of DAK the day after Halloween.

I was still in Halloween mode and there they go bringing out the colorful cheery stuff:thedolls:

DizneyRox
09-26-2007, 06:53 AM
I'd expect to see Xmas stuff till well into the first full week of January 2008.

Jenemmy
09-26-2007, 07:46 AM
I"m not sure when they come down, but I would certainly think it would take a bit of time to clean it all up.

You know, the decorations really have nothing to do with religious convictions and some of the decor is breathtakingly beautiful. I would go ahead and plan for a great trip and if there are a few lingering reminders of Christmas about, just take them at face value -- something pretty to look at :mickey:

That being said -- I understand the appeal of the classic look of Disney parks. But hey -- if we all didn't let a giant pink monstrosity of a cake castle stop us from going a few years ago, what's a few twinkly lights -- LOL!

Good luck with your decision.

MsMin
09-26-2007, 10:25 AM
I just checked the operational updates and it doesn't appear that any rides are schedules for a Christmas "overlay". I know they didn't change CBJ last Dec. and it doesn't look like they have scheduled a change for that for this year too. If they do it will still have the Christmas theming in that first week. They shut the ride down for several days to take it off.
While I do celebrate Christmas I believe many people like myself understand that not everyone shares the same celebrations and respect other's differences- it's what makes us unique. I have several good friends that don't celebrate holidays. If I didn't celebrate Christmas I would find the Christmas music the most annoying.
I would be more concerned about your families feelings than what others may think. Do you celebrate New Years?
I didn't feel that I had to participate in any Christmas time events. We are usually too busy to go to the tree lighting. We did enjoy the Handbell Choir outside of BWV last Dec. The Holiday add on w/ Illuminations is very generic and more focused on "Peace on Earth" and acknowledges different cultures (not exactly religion).
My biggest concern for your family is the crowds at that time. While the "air" is festive I don't think you will notice any more than you would at a well decorated shopping mall.
Best of luck with your plans.

Momof2boys
09-26-2007, 10:57 AM
what bugged me was seeing the xmas tree in front of DAK the day after Halloween.

I was still in Halloween mode and there they go bringing out the colorful cheery stuff:thedolls:

I was shocked when November 1st we were in AK and I found myself humming to Jingle Bells. I thought it was way too early for WDW to get into the Christmas spirit.

May524
09-26-2007, 01:39 PM
We went this past january for our honeymoon and when we arrived on Jan.6th most decor was still up in the parks! MGM, Epcot and MK still had Christmas decor up. We were there for a week and they were slowly taking it down. We even caught a show of the Osbourne lights in MGM.

monkeycity
09-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Thanks to everyone for the info! The decorations don't bother us as much as the music that gets stuck in your head, etc. My kids would die if they couldn't ride IASW or see the CBJ. Twinkly lights are pretty.

Thanks again. Intercotees are the best group around!! :number1:

Wayne
09-26-2007, 08:09 PM
In many cultures, the celebration of Christmas extends through to the Epiphany (Jan 6) so it makes sense especially in World Showcase. But lingering effects should be expected for a while just because of the enormity of the celebration.

WDWfanatic742
09-26-2007, 08:16 PM
Well, reports are that CBJ is not having the Christmas overlay this year either for the second straight year, Haunted Mansion and IASW I don't think have ever had a holiday overlay in it. Ride's wise, you should be fine :thumbsup:

LibertyTreeGal
09-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Gosh, if you don't like the holidays stuff then by all means STAY AWAY because the crowds are just awful -- it just ain't worth it! Except for right after Thanksgiving you couldn't hardly pay me to go then anyway, I hate big crowds.

DisneyKim22
09-27-2007, 08:38 PM
I would not worry a single bit about possibly offending someone by not participating in something. Most people are far more concerned about having a good time themselves, that they probably wouldn't even notice. The only way I would notice is if someone looked disappointed that they weren't included - in which case I try to spread the cheer; or if the person made a HUGE point of letting everyone around them know that they don't like what's going on.

I think you're sweet to worry about others, but really, what matters is that you and your family are comfortable with the surroundings when you go.

Last year, the holiday music at the MK sort of blended in, and I did not notice it so much. However, when the park started closing and getting ready for MVMCP, the music was turned up and it was hard to ignore. I was in heaven, but I know not everyone shares my enthusiasm for Christmas music.

LoriMistress
09-28-2007, 12:46 AM
The week of Christmas, last week of Christmas, and the first few days of January are extremely crowded. I would plan effectively.

MickeyMousse
09-28-2007, 10:06 AM
While living in Orlando, we went to the parks the 2nd week of January and it was still decorated, but you could tell that they started dismantling alot.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-28-2007, 12:13 PM
I personally am not religious myself. I'm an atheist, and it doesn't bother me at all. I believe more in the spirit of the holiday season and what it means by bringing families together rather than the religious belief that is typically associated with it.

Although, I will say....if you can stand it long enough....the Osbourne Spectacle of Dancing Lights...to Trans Siberian Orchestra is AMAZING. Because of how well it's choreographed.

But you know your family best and if it's uncomfortable to hear the music, just make sure you leave before nightfall as Wishes and Illuminations both have holiday themes to it. Fantasmic is the same, just stay away from the Streets of America (where the lights are).

Most countries at EPCOT also have Christmas around the world storytellers, where the representative of Santa comes out and will tell the beliefs of each country's Christmas celebrations.

Good luck in whatever you may decide!!

mickey&missy
09-28-2007, 01:33 PM

That kind of bugged us to, especially DH. We went to MNSSHP on Halloween last year. THe next morning walking down Main Street DH said to me "is that christmas music?" Indeed it was! Our last day was 11/4. By then there were a ton of decorations up. Garland strung across Main Street, the big tree was up to the right of the Castle by the bridge to Tomorrowland etc. It was crazy! I told DH at least we got 2 holidays for the price of 1 ;)

nicole48040
09-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Come on, reeeaaalllllyyyyy?!? If you can't enjoy beautiful decorations, regardless of religon, you should not bother with WDW. I mean what do you think EPCOT is all about anyway? It is about embracing people from all parts of this beautiful Earth of ours and that includes their traditions,holidays, and beliefs. It does'nt mean you have to have the same beliefs or that you have to convert, it just simply means that you respect and can find the beauty in others ideals. Just leave the high moral horse at home, and have a great time :thumbsup:

LibertyTreeGal
09-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Come on, reeeaaalllllyyyyy?!? If you can't enjoy beautiful decorations, regardless of religon, you should not bother with WDW. I mean what do you think EPCOT is all about anyway? It is about embracing people from all parts of this beautiful Earth of ours and that includes their traditions,holidays, and beliefs. It does'nt mean you have to have the same beliefs or that you have to convert, it just simply means that you respect and can find the beauty in others ideals. Just leave the high moral horse at home, and have a great time :thumbsup:

Whoa there, smilie face aside, this seems a bit presumptuous. As the OP didn't post their specific objections, it's pretty far fetched to assume there is a "moral high horse" involved. We don't celebrate Christmas (or easter) either, and we are pretty much over the top Jesus freaks. The OP was simply being honest and forthright, let's please not bash them for it. Seems pretty unfair, and not very much in the keeping of the "spirit of the season." This person is respecting the rights of people to celebrate, as do I, so let's extend the same courtesy.

And equating the celebration of another's religion is not the same as celebrating our uniqueness as cultural peoples -- religion is a choice, culture is not, it's a matter of birth. I don't embrace the religions of others, nor would I dream of slamming said practices either, but I do absolutely embrace the wonderful diversity of people on this planet.

I think the OP is displaying respect for the beliefs of others, there are no protests or sermons going on in the original post -- merely an honest and respectful inquiry.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-29-2007, 03:55 AM

And that's exactly the kinds of reactions the OP was wanting to avoid by being there and not being involved in the festivities.

nicole48040
09-29-2007, 05:11 PM
I apologize if it seemed as though I was giving a "reaction". What I wrote was not meant in an over-the-top fashion, it was merely a simple statement that sometimes people can make a molehill into a mountain. Christmas decorations are nothing to have to try to avoid, their only purpose is to fill people's hearts with good tidings and cheer. What can be wrong with that???

LibertyTreeGal
09-29-2007, 05:36 PM
I apologize if it seemed as though I was giving a "reaction". What I wrote was not meant in an over-the-top fashion, it was merely a simple statement that sometimes people can make a molehill into a mountain. Christmas decorations are nothing to have to try to avoid, their only purpose is to fill people's hearts with good tidings and cheer. What can be wrong with that???

I can't help but notice that you seem to be approaching this completely from your own point of view, your own biases and understanding. In truth there are many well-educated and knowledgeable people, both Christian and otherwise, who are not comfortable with Christmas. Please respect that. If you would like to know what is "wrong" with Christmas and decorations and traditions from the viewpoint of a follower of Christ, then I would be more than happy to converse with you off list. But as an aside, Paul asked the early believers why they were still celebrating "special days" and said that what is sacred to one person is not sacred to another, but that each of us should be firmly convinced in our own minds and that we are not to judge one another on the basis of days. To me, the only thing "wrong" is the approach of saying that someone "should" be forced (through shame or manipulation or peer pressure) to feel comfortable with something that they, for their own reasons, are not comfortable with. I fail to see why anyone should feel threatened, or even need to comment on the fact that this poster does not want to participate. The OP doesn't seem to be judging anyone for their participation, and deserves the same treatment.

And I must say that this is all completely off topic. Truly, out of respect, we should be limiting this discussion to the question at hand and throwing the value judgments out the window. The Op never asked our opinions of what they do as a family, just questioned when the decor would be eliminated. Simple enough question, I feel.

nicole48040
09-29-2007, 05:49 PM
WOW! Ok sorry.I will try to refrain from making anymore "uneducated" comments.

Good Grief!!!:(

LibertyTreeGal
09-29-2007, 06:00 PM
For the record, I never called you uneducated, I merely pointed out that someone can have objections to christmas for well thought out and informed reasons.

nicole48040
09-29-2007, 07:20 PM
And I merely pointed out that WDW is about all the world's people so you should be able to have a great time there year round, regardless of values because WDW is respectful to everyone! Sheesh!!!!

Joy2theworld
09-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Silly question, but what is CBJ?

My family and I went to Disney around the Christmas holidays a few years back after some horrible things had happened in my family. We thought we were going to kind of escape the holidays that year, but quickly learned there was no such thing. The decorations were beautiful and people were definitely spirited. It turned out to be a better holiday than we thought, but it was crowded and not what we originally had planned.

LibertyTreeGal
09-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Silly question, but what is CBJ?

My family and I went to Disney around the Christmas holidays a few years back after some horrible things had happened in my family. We thought we were going to kind of escape the holidays that year, but quickly learned there was no such thing. The decorations were beautiful and people were definitely spirited. It turned out to be a better holiday than we thought, but it was crowded and not what we originally had planned.

Not silly at all -- Country Bears Jamboree. Except, of course, the Country Bears Jamboree is by it's very nature pretty darned silly! So I guess it was a "silly" question after all! ;)

monkeycity
09-30-2007, 12:25 AM
I'm sorry if I caused any trouble for my fellow intercotees :sorry:. I honestly was just wondering about the change-over time frames. As I said in the original post, we don't want to offend anyone because of our non-participation, so we try to avoid places that would require some degree of involvement. It is a personal choice, and I can understand where others might be puzzled or even insulted by said choice. I assure you, judgment was the furthest thing from my mind. Everyone is allowed to make their own decisions as to what their consciences will allow :goodbad:. Again, sorry to have raised your hackles.

LibertyTreeGal
09-30-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm sorry if I caused any trouble for my fellow intercotees :sorry:. I honestly was just wondering about the change-over time frames. As I said in the original post, we don't want to offend anyone because of our non-participation, so we try to avoid places that would require some degree of involvement. It is a personal choice, and I can understand where others might be puzzled or even insulted by said choice. I assure you, judgment was the furthest thing from my mind. Everyone is allowed to make their own decisions as to what their consciences will allow :goodbad:. Again, sorry to have raised your hackles.

Goodness, there was nothing offensive about what you wrote or how you wrote it.

but it sure does sound like you should try and visit during my personal favorite time -- the first week of February. No decor, nice weather, very low crowds :thumbsup:

biodtl
10-05-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm curious - I've never been to WDW during the holidays - do they have anything to acknowledge other holidays like Hannukah or Kwaanza?

Vintage Disney
10-05-2007, 09:59 PM
That kind of bugged us to, especially DH. We went to MNSSHP on Halloween last year. THe next morning walking down Main Street DH said to me "is that christmas music?" Indeed it was! Our last day was 11/4. By then there were a ton of decorations up. Garland strung across Main Street, the big tree was up to the right of the Castle by the bridge to Tomorrowland etc. It was crazy! I told DH at least we got 2 holidays for the price of 1 ;)

Looks like we'll be saying " Trick or Treat" AND "Merry Christmas" during our visit this year.:mickey: There is another MNSSHP on Nov 2 this year so I wonder if they will delay decorating MK until after the party. Maybe they will have haunted Christmas trees:D

To the OP-- I think the HUGE crowds during Christmas break will probably bother you more than the decorations. We were there during Christmas - New Years one year and it was so crowded we could barely move around. Not fun.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-06-2007, 03:07 AM
I'm curious - I've never been to WDW during the holidays - do they have anything to acknowledge other holidays like Hannukah or Kwaanza?

It celebrates all holidays, not just one in particular. Mostly Epcot focuses on this, but all the othr parks share in the holiday for all beliefs. Also, AK is pretty big on Kwaanza if I remember.