PDA

View Full Version : Another PIN code mystery

McGoofy
09-25-2007, 09:00 PM
I know it has been a long and ongoing discussion here at Intercot about how/who gets the famous mysterious PIN code postcards for great Disney deals. My family used to occasionally get them in the mail before we became passholders. Once we became passholders, we never got them again, but we started getting PIN code postcards for Disney cruises. At any rate, I have read so many speculations as to how people think you get chosen to get a PIN postcard. Well, here's something that was new to me. A few weeks ago I got one of the postcards in the mail. It was my address, but the name on the postcard was a friend of mine that lives 14 hours away from me. After I got done laughing, I was kind of sad because I thought that it was a wasted precious PIN postcard. It had a great deal on room rates. I told my friend about it, but there is no way that his family can use it. The only connection that they have to Disney is that 2 years ago, they met us down there for a week. They have never been before, and they haven't been since. They do not have a Disney Visa. When they met us there, I booked 2 rooms at Pop because we are allowed to book up to 4 rooms with our passholder discount. The only time their name got put into "the system" was at check-in, when we had to tell who was in what room. So here's to all those wondering how to get your name on the postcard list...maybe you'll get a postcard after you give your name at check in!:mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
09-26-2007, 12:46 AM
Maybe they use it to entice people to come back?:mickey:

mouseketeer mom
09-26-2007, 06:46 AM
Yeah, I always wonder, and always long for a pin code. We are at least 2x/year Disney goers and I always think that would be swell to get that pin code. When you get it, what does it say?

McGoofy
09-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Maybe they use it to entice people to come back?:mickey:

That's definitely what I am thinking. They knew that my friends had been there once, and it has been 2 years without seeing their names back in the system. The postcard usually is a deal that is very similar to what is often offered to passholders. This particular one offered room rates for value resorts of $59/night. There were a few dates that were blacked out (such as Thanksgiving time) and the offer expired sometime in December. I don't remember the deal exactly because (sniff, sniff:crying:) I had to throw it in the trash can. Anyhow, they do make the offer very enticing.

wjrhw
09-26-2007, 09:41 AM
A couple of years ago, my wife's sisters went with us. The room went under my name and a year or two later a pin code came to my address in SIL's name. She couldn't use it and it wasn't in our name so we couldn't use it either. They seem to upset a lot of people with those PINS.

Momof2boys
09-26-2007, 11:22 AM
We got our first pin code this past week/end and it begins while we are already down at WDW. Next month will be our 5th trip there in 4 years so not sure if the enticing thing is accurate ?

TheRustyScupper
09-26-2007, 11:54 AM
After speaking with two Office Folks . . .

1) Post cards offers are made to induce people to visit.
2) Folks going every year don't need inducement.
3) AP holders don't need inducement, except maybe for cruises.
4) Sure, every now-and-then a frequent visitor gets a card.
5) But, it is mainly those who don't visit often "enough".
6) Just look at the posts from people who get the cards.
. . . how many are AP holders vs non-AP holders?
. . . how many stay frequently, vs non-frequently?
7) Again, some frequent visitors get them, but not all that many.
. . . once on the list, you normally stay on the list for a while
. . . also depends upon what source they used to get your name on the list
8) There are ways to increase the odds of getting a card.
9) But, those methods are edgy, so we don't talk about it.

NOTE: OK, so the phrase, "talking with Office Folks" may sound goofy (no pun intended), but realize it is estimated that 2/3 off our housing development are WDW folks - and many/most of them are management types. So, Info isn't that hard to come by at the pool, over the fence or at parties.

McGoofy
09-26-2007, 12:05 PM
. . . depends upon what source they used to get your name on the list

And that is the $64 million question that everybody wants to know the answer to!:mickey:

lindique
09-26-2007, 06:05 PM
Last week a letter offering a Disney Chase visa card arrived at my house - my address, but my sister's name. My sister lives several states away, but she shared a room with me at Disney World last year. So maybe next I'll get a PIN postcard? (In her name, of course).

mouseketeer mom
09-26-2007, 06:46 PM
After speaking with two Office Folks . . .

1) Post cards offers are made to induce people to visit.
2) Folks going every year don't need inducement.
3) AP holders don't need inducement, except maybe for cruises.
4) Sure, every now-and-then a frequent visitor gets a card.
5) But, it is mainly those who don't visit often "enough".
6) Just look at the posts from people who get the cards.
. . . how many are AP holders vs non-AP holders?
. . . how many stay frequently, vs non-frequently?
7) Again, some frequent visitors get them, but not all that many.
. . . once on the list, you normally stay on the list for a while
. . . also depends upon what source they used to get your name on the list
8) There are ways to increase the odds of getting a card.
9) But, those methods are edgy, so we don't talk about it.

NOTE: OK, so the phrase, "talking with Office Folks" may sound goofy (no pun intended), but realize it is estimated that 2/3 off our housing development are WDW folks - and many/most of them are management types. So, Info isn't that hard to come by at the pool, over the fence or at parties.

Lucky lucky you! I'd love to get WDW info at the pool, over the fence and at parties.
PS-Can I come to your next party?;)

Mousefever
09-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Since the pin code we just received was for Saratoga Springs and Old Key West, I'm wondering if Disney recognizes that we have become frequent visitors and want to entice us to buy into DVC. We have thought about it, so a visit at one of the DVC resorts might push us over the edge.

:dory:

Momof2boys
09-27-2007, 09:31 AM
Very interesting. I must be one of the "lucky" ones since we do go every year & have an AP. Maybe they still don't think that is often enough . . . then again I think that too. :blush:

McGoofy
09-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Last week a letter offering a Disney Chase visa card arrived at my house - my address, but my sister's name. My sister lives several states away, but she shared a room with me at Disney World last year. So maybe next I'll get a PIN postcard? (In her name, of course).

As a matter of fact, before the PIN code postcard in my friend's name came to my house, there were 2 offers that came addressed the same way for a Disney Visa. Those came probably a few months before the postcard did. Who knows?

TheRustyScupper
09-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Lucky lucky you! I'd love to get WDW info at the pool, over the fence and at parties.
PS-Can I come to your next party?;)

1) Darn.
2) Had a good party last night.
3) Wish I had known.
4) We would have invited you.

TheRustyScupper
09-27-2007, 11:50 AM
And that is the $64 million question that everybody wants to know the answer to!:mickey:

1) Unfortunately, they don't let that out.
2) Of course, they want non-frequent visitors.
3) Look at the possible sources.
. . . web-site sign-ups, where you state your visits
. . . web-site ressies that are not completed
. . . past hotel ressies without frequent new stays
. . . lapsed AP's
. . . infrequent mailed tickets, like Christmas party
. . . calling CRO for ressies, but not completing the ressie

NOTE: I am not saying that these are actual uses for data gathering, just that it makes sense. This info is readily available, so one could assume the data is mined. Since I do not have first-hand info or rumored-info, this is merely supposition on my behalf.