PDA

View Full Version : This will be a first.

Marilyn Michetti
09-25-2007, 08:17 PM
DH has been bringing up the topic of a quick trip to DLR, and I've been resisting because of having had to cancel WDW this Dec. for health reasons.DH argues that we can go for four days, and get a trip to San Diego in as well. We only live six hours away, but I think we'll fly to Anaheim.

I was surprised when I made the reservations how much fun this might be. It's certainly a "come-down", but maybe it will be O.K. I can't imagine not having Epcot or AK, but it's more than I had yesterday.

Somebody convince me that this isn't a "throw away" trip. No CP, no MVMCP? I'm not usually a pessimist, just spoiled rotten by my yearly trip to WDW.:(

kakn7294
09-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Marilyn, I think you should definately go and concentrate on having a great time! I've never been to Disneyland and if I remember correctly, you haven't either. A co-worker recently went and said how much he enjoyed the compactness of DL in comparison to WDW. I know that you will miss certain things such as the MVMCP but you can make some new wonderful memories at DL. I wish I could go with you!

mouseketeer mom
09-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Just think of it as another way to experience Disney. The ORIGINAL way! Lucky you. Go. Soak it all in and tell us all about it. I would love the chance to experience DL., Walts first vision. Enjoy, enjoy!!!

disneydeb
09-25-2007, 09:29 PM
I want to go to Disneyland in the worst way! I just can't justify going all the way from here to Disneyland when WDW is about a 14 hour drive away. Go, have fun and post a trip report when you return. :thumbsup:

Christine
09-25-2007, 09:59 PM
Oh don't be sad at all! I have heard SO many folks here on INTERCOT (who LOVE WDW very much) say that Disneyland is an absolute one of a kind treasure, not to be missed!

I would LOVE to go and I think you will see that DL is its own entity. Don't compare and contrast...just ENJOY!

Carol
09-26-2007, 07:27 AM
I would be ecstatic. :scratch:

I've opted to go to Disneyland instead of WDW, for my last 2 Disney trips. In fact I'd be going again next month if it weren't for the INTERCOT Anniversary bash.

I prefer it that much more. It's well worth the added flight time and airfare cost. (I'm in New York.) I love the relaxed pace of the park. It truly feels like a vacation and no buses!

Disneyland is gorgeous at Christmastime and the attractions so much better. Not to mention the holiday overlays for Haunted Mansion and 'it's a small world'.

I'd trade a WDW trip for a Disneyland trip any day of the week.

I can understand your disappointment though. I know I'll be thinking of the great California weather next month when in humid Florida. ;)

MNNHFLTX
09-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Disneyland is definitely worth the trip, Marilyn! It really is impossible to compare it to WDW as it is just a completely unique experience in itself. There's such an intimate feeling to the whole Disneyland/California Adventure/Downtown Disney/hotel complex. You truly do feel like your own little corner of the world. And don't forget all the new attractions or different versions of old favorites--it will seem new to you all over again!

I also think you'll enjoy the San Diego area. We combined our trip in the summer of 2006 with a few days in San Diego and found the area very beautiful, with lots of fun things to do.

ChipnDaleGal
09-26-2007, 10:48 AM
For years I thought that WDW was my happy place. Until I spent a week at Disneyland last November. I still love WDW, I have too many fond memories of times spent there with my daughter as she grew up, but I am much more in love with Disneyland. It will be my Disney vacation spot of choice from now on. Spent a week there this summer and already have plans in the works to return in April. It really is a magical place. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do, Marilyn. :thumbsup:

Marilyn Michetti
09-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Wellllllllll, I'm getting hyped on the idea. It's certainly less money, and I won't have to be getting on any busses with my ECV. I just got a DLR Birnbaums today, and am about to look through it.

I sure feel like a "newbi". So many questions, but I've got 10 weeks to figure it out.

Thanks for the encouragement.:)

tinkwest
09-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Please throw any questions you have at us here in the DLR forums. I love knowing someone new to Disneyland is getting excited about their first visit.

WDWizard
09-26-2007, 07:33 PM
I want to go to Disneyland in the worst way! I just can't justify going all the way from here to Disneyland when WDW is about a 14 hour drive away. Go, have fun and post a trip report when you return. :thumbsup:

Walt Disney World is only four hours away from us and we still made the trip to Southern California to see Disneyland (and other SoCal attractions). It was worth it, we loved DLR better than WDW because SoCal had so much to offer and DLR was so convenient that it made the vacation so much more pleasant overall.

Fewer theme parks was actually a plus for us because there is so much to do in SoCal that you wouldn’t want to be stuck in theme parks for your entire vacation! In WDW, we always go stressed and tired but DLR and being able to see Southern California was so much more relaxing and fun! If you DO want to stick with the DLR parks for the entire vacation, you'll have much more time to see and do it all and wont have to be stressed to fit in everything in a day.

Disneyland is better than the Magic Kingdom in so many ways and California Adventure is closely compared to the Disney-MGM Studios in size but California Adventure was much better!

Don’t be disappointed that you don’t see any special holiday events listed for Disneyland. They have Believe in Holiday Magic (fireworks), A Christmas Fantasy Parade and everything just as good as at WDW, except Disneyland offers these Holiday offerings free to regular park guest while WDW in my opinion robs regular park guests of a perk that should be available to everyone during the holidays! (For more information on DLR's holiday offerings see this post (http://intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1331589&postcount=1)).

Disneyland actually offers more Holiday offerings since they do the holiday versions of It's A Small World and Haunted Mansion. The castle will also be decked out in snow and special effects for the Christmas season.

Don't worry, I had the same thoughts you do now before my first trip to DLR after visiting WDW so much. You'll have fun! I wish I could go

:mickey:

DonnaT103
11-05-2007, 05:01 PM
I've been going through the same thoughts. Last year we opted to go to WDW for Hallowe'en instead of Christmas. This year we're headed for DL for Christmas :santa:(1st week of Dec.). DH is grumbling about not going to WDW since we usually drive and spend time on the Gulf coast too. This year we're going to DL for the first time in 26 yrs (and probally our last time). My Dad was born in LA so I want to see some sites (Santa Monica Pier, Rodeo Drive, Hollywood etc) and I have a friend in San Diego I have know for 16yrs but never met. I am so excited about this trip:minnie:, but DH still grumbles occationally,:unsure: espcially when he hears all I want to do. It's nice to do something different occationally and it is still Disney.
:wave:WDW will always be there next year.